Study in Australia
Explore Top Universities and Colleges in Australia.
Get Updates on Tuition, Courses Offered, Duration and more.
Willing to pursue higher education in Australia? Know more about some of the top universities and colleges in Australia. Get detailed information on Australian universities such as rankings, programs offered, admission requirements, fees, scholarships, and housing options. Opt for the right program having diverse career options and get more information about the entrance examinations for studying in Australia. Get free academic advice from experts.
Studying abroad has been in trend for quite some time now with a lot of Indian students preferring to pursue their higher studies in countries like the UK, USA, Canada, Germany, and more. Let’s explore the benefits of studying in Australia over other top countries of the world.
Why Choose Australia for your Higher Studies?
Australia, also known as the “Land Down Under” is home to several top universities of the world in addition to incredible nature, vibrant cities, and oceans that are rewarding both in terms of education and personal development. There are around 43 universities in Australia out of which 6 are ranked in the top 100 globally renowned universities. The cultural diversity in Australia provides the students a chance to step out of their comfort zones and experience something new.
Top Australian universities offer a multitude of different degrees and majors with plenty of options and subject combinations to choose from. The student visa process is streamlined and the application is approved if the student meets all the requirements and is accepted to any Australian university with sufficient funds to be able to live in Australia for the duration of their studies. Australia is preferred by several international students mainly because of its friendly, laid-back nature, excellent education system, and high standard of living. The Australian education system is internationally reputed with students having an option to choose between universities, vocational education, and English language training.
Also, certain Australian universities offer internships or work opportunities to their students. International students can choose to work up to 20 hours per week while studying in Australia. This serves as a great opportunity for students to earn money to offset living expenses and also gain work experience in their field of interest. International students can also get a Temporary Graduate Visa to stay in Australia and continue to work after they have graduated.
Top Colleges and Universities in Australia
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
Sydney, New South Wales
Sydney, New South Wales
Here are some articles listed that help you understand the benefits of studying in Australia. These articles guide students in choosing the best universities, entrance exams, scholarships & financial aids, etc. Explore for more related articles!
Australia is commonly known as ‘The Land of Plenty’ which means that it holds many opportunities for growing the student economy in the world. With an international student population exceeding 700,000, Australia is soon becoming one of the most preferred study destinations for students from all over the world. Australian universities are globally recognized with eight of the universities ranking in the QS World University Rankings 2021. Diversity of students and global academic recognition are some of the many benefits of studying in Australia. The majority of international students come from China, India, Nepal, Vietnam, and Brazil.
Australian Universities are known for their strong research, excelling in areas such as arts and humanities, science, and education. Students can choose from over 22,000 courses through 1,100 globally recognized educational institutions. The courses are offered in a variety of subjects with flexible learning options. In addition to this, international students can choose to pursue studies at seven of the world’s best student cities located in Australia.
There is also an availability of scholarship in Australia for Indian students that covers the tuition fees, travel allowance, monthly stipend, health insurance, and establishment allowance. Students in need of financial assistance can take advantage of various scholarships, bursaries, awards, loans, etc. Some other benefits of going to university in Australia are explained in this article.
Why Study in Australia?
Australia is one of the top destinations preferred by international students willing to further their education and career prospects. International students can obtain outstanding education from leading institutions and can also stay back in Australia after the completion of their course. Listed below are the advantages of studying in Australia for international students:
- Australia is one of the most diverse and welcoming countries in the world with a high quality of living.
- The Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Act enforces the best law practices in Australia to protect the rights of international students.
- It is the third most popular international student destination in the world and is currently home to nearly 700,000 international students.
- Educational institutes in Australia offer high-quality education, easy access to student support services, and also a multicultural student society.
- Australia has seven of the world’s top 100 universities ranked in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020. Over 36 Australian universities make it to the top 1000 universities in the QS World University Ranking 2021.
- It has one of the best higher education systems in the world with over 22,000 courses across 1,100 institutions.
- International students can avail themselves of around 300 awards to cover the cost of education. The Australian Government invests around 300 million AUD in international student scholarships every year.
- Graduates from Australia have extensive job opportunities in the competitive global market. Around 79% of Australian graduates find employment after completion of their program from Australia, 6% of the graduates enroll for further studies, and 4% of the total student population are self-employed.
- The Australian study visa process is fairly simple and straightforward as compared to other countries. International students can apply for the Student Visa subclass 500 to be able to live and study in Australia. With a visa acceptance rate of 85%- 95%, any prospective international student with good grades and necessary documents can get an Australian visa.
Benefits of Studying in Australia
Australia is a wonderful island of sand beaches, eminent landmarks, world heritage sites, and beautiful outdoors. It provides various entertainment options along with a qualified education system. International students can easily adapt to the Australian lifestyle as it provides a friendly environment. Varied landscapes, local hospitality, and urban wealth are some other features that enhance international student enrollment in Australia. Listed below are some of the benefits of going to university in Australia:
- Variety in Education
- Quality Education
- Support Services
- Financial Assistance
Variety in Education
One of the main advantages of education in Australia for international students is the wide variety of options for choosing higher education. Australia is home to more than 43 universities in which 40 are Australian universities, 2 international and one private university. It has a proud stand of 8 universities on the world's top 100 universities.
Australian universities provide a wide range of courses and degrees. It offers a plethora of options for the students to choose their interested field of study depending on the university. Apart from universities and colleges, there are several other RTOs (Registered Training Organisations) and TAFE (Technical and Further Education) institutes for teaching some of the diploma and vocational courses. It is well-known that the Australian education system is one flexible mode of education where students can switch over for different qualification levels easily. Some of the top degree courses that international students study in Australia are a mix of skills that will help them gain employment and career development are given below:
- Actual Science
- Agricultural Sciences
- Biomedical Engineering
- Core Engineering
- Earth Sciences
- Computer Sciences and Information Technology
- Tourism and Hospitality Management
One of the main reasons for choosing Australia as a study destination is the quality of education at different levels. Australian Education System is known for its quality and courses with international value. The Australian University courses are globally recognized and the universities are known for their research and teaching methodologies. The Australian Quality Assurance Framework framed by the Australian Government ensures the quality of all universities to achieve the highest standard of education with focus. Australian universities are consistently ranked on the top 100 universities of QS World Rankings and Times Higher Education rankings for their world standard education facilities. According to The University Experience Survey (UES), 79% of students surveyed are happy with the teaching quality and their overall educational experience.
Australian Universities are committed to providing a safe and secure environment for international students. This is the reason why many of the students from more than 100+ countries choose Australia as their first option for their Higher education. Most of the Australian universities are imparted with an international student support unit that answers the queries of students and assists students in the proper way. Health care, Counselling, library, Physical wellness, spiritual part, clubs, and societies are some of the additional facilities in the Australian Universities. Most of the Australian Universities have student associations assisting and representing the interest of the students. Some of the National Associations of Australia are:
- Australian Federation of International Students (AFIS) helps the students in making their experience living and studying in Australia.
- Council of International Students Australia (CISA) is a national body for international students studying in Australia.
As mentioned previously Australia is the hub of opportunities for graduates in all fields of science, technology, engineering, and so on. Since it provides globally recognized courses, the employability of graduates in other countries is also high. The jobs for international students in Australian industries are also high. Graduate employability is one of the primary reasons for choosing Australia for higher studies in different fields of study such as engineering, medicine, business, and more. A survey says that roughly around 40% of graduates ended up using their university career services to help them find a job. Of that, around 62% of Indian graduates find their career service in the university itself. It is found that if the Australian international graduates return to their home country, they usually earn more than the average pay scale of that country.
Australian Universities aim in providing financial aid for international students to overcome their financial difficulties. The Higher Education Loan Program is a student loan system in Australia that helps domestic students in getting financial assistance for their academics. Each university provides several scholarships for the students based on their academic performance. Australia provides a better environment for part-time work while studying, thereby reducing the burden of students wishing to save their living expenses.
Scholarships For International Students in Australia
Australian Government offers several scholarships for international students that ensure financial well-being inside the country. One of the advantages of studying in Australia over other countries is that the Australian universities offer several scholarships and other funding options to international students who are in need of financial assistance. The details of some scholarships to study in Australia are given below:
- Australian Government has announced the Australian Award Scholarship (AAS) Program for international students. They are being fully funded, if they get successful in getting enrolled in an Australian University under this scholarship program.
- Australian Government Research Training Program (RTP) has replaced the International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (IPRS) program that offers scholarships for the participating universities.
- The Destination Australia Program (DAP) provides over 1,000 scholarships available each year to support domestic and international students.
Scholarship in Australia for Indian students
One of the main scholarships for Indian students to study in Australia is the Australian Government Research and Training Program (AGRTP). It is funded by the Australian government that covers the students’ tuition fee and health insurance for up to three years. The scholarship amount is $28,092 per annum. The details of other scholarships to study in Australia for Indian students are given below:
- Australia Awards: This scholarship in Australia for Indian students is funded by the Department of Education and the Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR) and the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFAT). It is offered to students pursuing undergraduate/ graduate programs at participating universities in Australia and Technical and Further Education (TAFE) institutions. It covers the full tuition fees, airfare, living expenses, Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC), and other allied expenses for two years provided the students return to India upon completion of their studies.
- Endeavour Leadership Program: This scholarship program worth $15,000 per academic year aims to encourage international students to study in regional Australia. This is to regionally develop tertiary education providers in Australia and provide a learning experience to its students. The scholarship is offered every year to eligible students for up to 4 years.
- John Allwright Fellowship (JAF): This fellowship provides Ph.D. and master’s scholarships every year to agricultural researchers. It is administered through the Australia Awards system. The fellowship awards scientists from partner countries engaged in the Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR) research projects to obtain postgraduate qualifications at Australian tertiary institutions.
Study in Australia Cost: Education Fees, Cost of living, Visa Fees, MBA Fees and Requirements for Indian Students
Australia is known to be the hub of opportunities that provides efficient and enhanced learning for all students from around the world. Indian students are the second highly enrolled students in Australia after Chinese students. Mostly studying abroad is considered to be an expensive task but this issue can be handled by smart preparation of a budget. The candidate choosing Australia as a career option can effectively plan their financial expenses by a prior understanding of the cost of living around the location of the university. The average living cost in Australia for international students is around $2,835 per month which includes the cost of monthly mortgage repayments based on average Australian house prices. International students should also pay the Australia visa fees of AUD 620 to be able to travel and study in Australia. The Study in Australia cost includes the living expenses and the basic tuition fees of the respective university. The cost of living in Australia with all expenses of living and other miscellaneous expenses are covered in this article.
Cost of Education
Tuition fees are a primary expenditure for students opting abroad studies. The tuition fees depend on the educational qualification and university or college the candidate selects. It also varies for each and every course in the college. MBA fees in Australia are around $40,000 to $63,000. The average tuition fees for different levels of study are given below:
- The tuition fees for school vary between $7,800 and $30,000 annually.
- The tuition fees for English language studies varies between $350 - $450 weekly
- The tuition fees for Vocational, Education, and Training varies between $4,000 - $22,000 annually
- The tuition fees for an undergraduate bachelor’s degree varies between $15,000 - $25,000 annually
- The tuition fees for a postgraduate master’s degree varies between $22,000 - $42,000 annually
- The tuition fees for doctoral degree varies between $22,000 - $42,000 annually
The cost of overseas education in Australia is tabulated below:
|Course||Cost in INR|
|Undergraduate Programs||9,71,000 - 21,90,000|
|Postgraduate Programs||10,70,000 - 24,28,000|
|Vocational Education and Training||1,95,000 - 9,70,000|
|Doctoral Degree||8,75,000 - 20,40,000|
MBA Fees in Australia
An MBA in Australia costs anywhere between $40,000 - $63,000 and is available as a full-time one-year course at over 58 Australian universities. Listed below are the average MBA fees in Australian colleges and universities for international students:
- Melbourne Business School: $62,198
- AGSM Business School: $60,043
- Monash Business School: $61,156
- Macquarie Graduate School of Management: $54,993
- UWA Business School: $41,488
Requirements for Indian Students
The Australian Department of Immigration ensures that the candidate has enough money to pay the course fees, living costs, and accommodation in Australia. This annual personal financial need ranges from INR 30,47,019 to 35,54,855. The evidence of this income has to be submitted to the department along with the student’s visa application. The government has fixed the financial requirements to receive a student visa and it costs around INR 10,07,039.
Australian universities offer on-campus accommodation facilities for international students. There is also plenty of student accommodation available in Australia. Some opt for those off-campus accommodation wherein Indian students can share rooms with other students. The rentals of accommodation vary from city to city. The cost of accommodations depends on the city of residence. Some of the accommodation rentals are given below:
- Hostels and Guesthouses: $90 to $150 per week
- Shared Rental: $95 to $215 per week
- On-campus Accommodation: $110 to $280 per week
- Homestay: $235 to $325 per week
- Rental: $185 to $440 per week
- Boarding Schools : $11,000 to $22,000 a year
Scholarships for Students
As the cost of studying in Australia is comparatively higher, universities provide many scholarships, bursaries, loans, and grants for the students. Australian Government also provides several financial awards for the financial well-being of the students. Some of the scholarships programs for the students studying in Australia are:
- Australia Award Scholarship (AAS) Program
- Australian Government Research Training Program (RTP)
- Destination Australia Program (DAP)
- Endeavor PG Scholarship Program
Part-time Work Opportunities
Australian universities provide assistance for part-time working while studying, thereby providing opportunities for satisfying living costs of their own. With the student visa, the candidate can also work part-time and can easily earn somewhere between INR 1,200 to 1,500 an hour, depending on the job. This extra money helps to overcome the living expenses in Australia.
Total Study in Australia Cost
The total study in Australia cost is much less when compared to some expensive countries. It includes tuition fees, living costs, food, accommodation, and several other expenses. The expenses for the students vary for different cities and the manageability is in the hands of the students. The total cost of study for different levels of study are given below:
- Bachelor’s Degree: INR 50,7836
- Postgraduate and PhD : INR 10,156,73 to INR 18,78,995
- Vocational, Education and Training Courses: INR 25,3918
- Living Expenses: INR 17,774 to INR 45,705 per week
Some of the major Study in Australia cost for Indian students are tabulated below:
|Expenses||Cost in INR|
|Application Fees||2,500 - 5,000|
|Tuition Fees||9,70,000 - 24,30,000|
Cost of Living in Australia
Apart from the tuition fees, international students are required to bear the cost of living in Australia. The average living expenses in Australia come up to $2,835 per month for a single person or $4,118 per month for a couple. The living expenses in Australia for international students vary based on the lifestyle and spending habits of the student. Find below the average cost of living in Australia for students from all over the world:
- Groceries: $140- $280/ week
- Phone & Internet: $15- $30/ week
- Car Expenses: $150- $260/ week
- Gas & Electricity: $10- $20
- Entertainment: $80- $150
Australia Visa Fees for International Students
International students willing to pursue studies in Australia are required to apply for a Student Visa subclass 500. The visa process is simpler as compared to other countries such as the US and the UK. The Australia Student Visa fees are around AUD 620 for new and subsequent entrants. The Australia visa fees are paid in Australian dollars as the charge of the visa application. The student visa Australia cost does not depend on the length of the program and is always the same. The cost may however vary depending on the location from where one applies for the Student Visa (Australia or onshore). The visa cost for Australia from India is around INR 33,272 which is equal to 620 AUD. One can also apply for an Australian PR to be able to live and work in Australia infinitely. The Australia PR cost comes up to AUD 4,045 for the primary applicant. The Australia PR cost for any additional adult above 18 years of age is AUD 2,020 and for a dependent child below 18 years of age, it is AUD 1,105.
Australia is one of the most beautiful countries in the world. It has scenic beauty that attracts not only tourists but also students who are willing to grab the opportunity to study in the topmost universities here. The universities of Australia inhabit many international students by offering various services and facilities and encouraging them to not only excel in academics but also in every walk of life. These universities have different admission procedures but one thing that is similar among these universities is that every institution requires a student visa for Australia especially for international students.
The students applying for a student visa in Australia have certain requirements. But still as compared to other countries, getting a student visa is easier in Australia. Understudies needing to concentrate in Australia should meet certain necessities to fit the bill for a visa. Whenever you have been selected for a full-time concentrate course you can apply for a visa under Subclass 500. Australia visa tracking can be done online by using the reference number (VLN number) and date of birth details.
To obtain a Subclass 500 student visa in Australia, international students must :
- Must be of a minimum age of 6
- Proof of welfare arrangement, if you are less than 18 years old
- Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
- Enrollment of campus program
One needs to obtain an Australian Student Visa to be able to pursue higher studies. Australia visa fees change from time to time and are approximately AUD 620 for the subclass 500 student visa. The student must be able to prove to the Department of Home Affairs that they meet the following key Australian Student Visa requirements:
- English Proficiency requirements
- Health and Character requirements
- Financial requirements
- Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirement
Genuine Temporary Entrant
The Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirement says that the visa applicant must be able to demonstrate the genuine reason to stay in Australia temporarily. The decision-makers at the Department of Home Affairs will consider the following factors for providing GTE:
- Immigration history
- Value of the course chosen for study
- Circumstances in the home country
- Potential circumstances in Australia
- Previous academic transcripts
- Current employment status
Fundamental Rights Enjoyed by the Visa Candidates
The students applying for or having an Australian visa are eligible for certain rights. The Department of Home Affairs offers visas to international students to pursue an eligible course of study in Australia. Listed below are some of the fundamental rights the Australian visa entitles:
- Take a crack at a course and take an interest in a qualified course of study
- Carry your relatives to Australia if possible
- A candidate can apply for the visa online inside or outside Australia
- Travel to and fro in any country from Australia. Work for as long as 40 hours like clockwork once your course begins
- If the period of your stay is long then, you can apply for an expansion
- Before you present your visa application guarantee that you meet all the qualification prerequisites
Application Steps for Student Visa in Australia
International students can sometimes face difficulties while applying for an Australian visa. There are certain steps that one needs to follow while filling a visa form or an application form. Australia visa process takes significant time during the COVID-19 times. These steps make getting through the visa procedure easier. The steps for applying for an Australian visa include:
- Before you even present your application, you should initially accumulate the necessary documents
- A candidate should submit the documents for the verification of personality, character, and different reports demonstrating that you have satisfied the visa conditions
- Apply for the Australia visa online
- A candidate has confirmed their visa application by the specialists
- You will be informed of the result of your visa application
Requirements to Crack the Australia Visa for Indians
An Australian visa is offered to students who fulfill all the eligibility criteria. The applicant should meet both character and health requirements in addition to other general requirements to be able to get a student visa in Australia. Below are the requirements for an Australian visa application:
English language Test Clearance
When a candidate wants to apply for an abroad education and is trying to get a visa for a specific country, it becomes essential to clear your English language Test. If English isn't your local language, at that point you need to take an English language capability test. You need to take the IELTS test and keep the aftereffects of the tests prepared when you are making your visa application.
Confirmation of Enrollment [CoE] from the College/ University
Whenever you are chosen for a course, you will get an offer letter from the school. You should give a composed affirmation tolerating the offer and pay the educational expenses. Ensuing this you will get a Confirmation of Enrolment or CoE. This archive is needed to handle your visa application.
The handling time for your visa is generally a month. You can apply for the visa 124 days before the beginning of your course and you can venture out to the country 90 days before the initiation of your course.
If you have any wards, they can apply for a similar Subclass 500 visa. Regardless of whether they may not accompany you promptly, you should announce your wards in your visa application. Else, they may not be qualified for a needy visa later.
In case the students want to get their understudy visas, they should demonstrate that they have the assets to cover their course charges, travel, and living expenses. The student should have enough money to cover their living expenses in Australia for the duration of the course.
Students should present an endorsement to demonstrate that they have no criminal record. The applicant and his/ her family members over 16 years of age should be able to meet the character requirement. One should pass the character test and also remain of good character.
The visa applicant must have and maintain OSHC from an approved insurance provider in Australia and pay for the opted policy. This health insurance covers the full duration of stay in Australia. Health insurance is required for both the applicant and his/ her family members.
Important Documents Required for a Student Visa in Australia
Applying for a visa is all about documents and the subsequent stage is to make sure that you have all the required documents. The Australian visa application should incorporate the accompanying records:
- Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) endorsement
- Certified Temporary Entrant (GTE) explanation
- Monetary Requirements that you can support your examinations (assets to cover your return airfare, educational expenses, and an amount of AU$18,610 every year).
- Your English Proficiency test results
- Australian endorsed medical coverage cover
- Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) – endorsed by the Australian government, this health care coverage gives essential clinical and medical clinic cover
- Consequences of tests in the English language like IELTS, TOEFL, PTE on the off-chance that you are a non-local English speaker
- Shreds of evidence of money related methods for covering all extra costs during the time of the study
Other Options to Apply for a Visa
International applicants can apply for an Australia visa online by filling up the relevant form. He/ she should first find the right type of visa for their stay in Australia and then proceed to check their eligibility. Given below are some other ways through which international students can apply for an Australian visa
- Directly through the college/ university site
- By a neighborhood college
- By an outer specialist
- By the Visa embassy of your native country