Australia is commonly known as ‘The Land of Plenty’ which means that it holds many opportunities for growing the student economy in the world. With an international student population exceeding 700,000, Australia is soon becoming one of the most preferred study destinations for students from all over the world. Australian universities are globally recognized with eight of the universities ranking in the QS World University Rankings 2021. Diversity of students and global academic recognition are some of the many benefits of studying in Australia. The majority of international students come from China, India, Nepal, Vietnam, and Brazil.
Australian Universities are known for their strong research, excelling in areas such as arts and humanities, science, and education. Students can choose from over 22,000 courses through 1,100 globally recognized educational institutions. The courses are offered in a variety of subjects with flexible learning options. In addition to this, international students can choose to pursue studies at seven of the world’s best student cities located in Australia.
There is also an availability of scholarship in Australia for Indian students that covers the tuition fees, travel allowance, monthly stipend, health insurance, and establishment allowance. Students in need of financial assistance can take advantage of various scholarships, bursaries, awards, loans, etc. Some other benefits of going to university in Australia are explained in this article.
Why Study in Australia?
Australia is one of the top destinations preferred by international students willing to further their education and career prospects. International students can obtain outstanding education from leading institutions and can also stay back in Australia after the completion of their course. Listed below are the advantages of studying in Australia for international students:
- Australia is one of the most diverse and welcoming countries in the world with a high quality of living.
- The Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Act enforces the best law practices in Australia to protect the rights of international students.
- It is the third most popular international student destination in the world and is currently home to nearly 700,000 international students.
- Educational institutes in Australia offer high-quality education, easy access to student support services, and also a multicultural student society.
- Australia has seven of the world’s top 100 universities ranked in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020. Over 36 Australian universities make it to the top 1000 universities in the QS World University Ranking 2021.
- It has one of the best higher education systems in the world with over 22,000 courses across 1,100 institutions.
- International students can avail themselves of around 300 awards to cover the cost of education. The Australian Government invests around 300 million AUD in international student scholarships every year.
- Graduates from Australia have extensive job opportunities in the competitive global market. Around 79% of Australian graduates find employment after completion of their program from Australia, 6% of the graduates enroll for further studies, and 4% of the total student population are self-employed.
- The Australian study visa process is fairly simple and straightforward as compared to other countries. International students can apply for the Student Visa subclass 500 to be able to live and study in Australia. With a visa acceptance rate of 85%- 95%, any prospective international student with good grades and necessary documents can get an Australian visa.
Benefits of Studying in Australia
Australia is a wonderful island of sand beaches, eminent landmarks, world heritage sites, and beautiful outdoors. It provides various entertainment options along with a qualified education system. International students can easily adapt to the Australian lifestyle as it provides a friendly environment. Varied landscapes, local hospitality, and urban wealth are some other features that enhance international student enrollment in Australia. Listed below are some of the benefits of going to university in Australia:
- Variety in Education
- Quality Education
- Support Services
- Financial Assistance
Variety in Education
One of the main advantages of education in Australia for international students is the wide variety of options for choosing higher education. Australia is home to more than 43 universities in which 40 are Australian universities, 2 international and one private university. It has a proud stand of 8 universities on the world's top 100 universities.
Australian universities provide a wide range of courses and degrees. It offers a plethora of options for the students to choose their interested field of study depending on the university. Apart from universities and colleges, there are several other RTOs (Registered Training Organisations) and TAFE (Technical and Further Education) institutes for teaching some of the diploma and vocational courses. It is well-known that the Australian education system is one flexible mode of education where students can switch over for different qualification levels easily. Some of the top degree courses that international students study in Australia are a mix of skills that will help them gain employment and career development are given below:
- Actual Science
- Agricultural Sciences
- Biomedical Engineering
- Core Engineering
- Earth Sciences
- Computer Sciences and Information Technology
- Tourism and Hospitality Management
One of the main reasons for choosing Australia as a study destination is the quality of education at different levels. Australian Education System is known for its quality and courses with international value. The Australian University courses are globally recognized and the universities are known for their research and teaching methodologies. The Australian Quality Assurance Framework framed by the Australian Government ensures the quality of all universities to achieve the highest standard of education with focus. Australian universities are consistently ranked on the top 100 universities of QS World Rankings and Times Higher Education rankings for their world standard education facilities. According to The University Experience Survey (UES), 79% of students surveyed are happy with the teaching quality and their overall educational experience.
Australian Universities are committed to providing a safe and secure environment for international students. This is the reason why many of the students from more than 100+ countries choose Australia as their first option for their Higher education. Most of the Australian universities are imparted with an international student support unit that answers the queries of students and assists students in the proper way. Health care, Counselling, library, Physical wellness, spiritual part, clubs, and societies are some of the additional facilities in the Australian Universities. Most of the Australian Universities have student associations assisting and representing the interest of the students. Some of the National Associations of Australia are:
- Australian Federation of International Students (AFIS) helps the students in making their experience living and studying in Australia.
- Council of International Students Australia (CISA) is a national body for international students studying in Australia.
As mentioned previously Australia is the hub of opportunities for graduates in all fields of science, technology, engineering, and so on. Since it provides globally recognized courses, the employability of graduates in other countries is also high. The jobs for international students in Australian industries are also high. Graduate employability is one of the primary reasons for choosing Australia for higher studies in different fields of study such as engineering, medicine, business, and more. A survey says that roughly around 40% of graduates ended up using their university career services to help them find a job. Of that, around 62% of Indian graduates find their career service in the university itself. It is found that if the Australian international graduates return to their home country, they usually earn more than the average pay scale of that country.
Australian Universities aim in providing financial aid for international students to overcome their financial difficulties. The Higher Education Loan Program is a student loan system in Australia that helps domestic students in getting financial assistance for their academics. Each university provides several scholarships for the students based on their academic performance. Australia provides a better environment for part-time work while studying, thereby reducing the burden of students wishing to save their living expenses.
Scholarships For International Students in Australia
Australian Government offers several scholarships for international students that ensure financial well-being inside the country. One of the advantages of studying in Australia over other countries is that the Australian universities offer several scholarships and other funding options to international students who are in need of financial assistance. The details of some scholarships to study in Australia are given below:
- Australian Government has announced the Australian Award Scholarship (AAS) Program for international students. They are being fully funded, if they get successful in getting enrolled in an Australian University under this scholarship program.
- Australian Government Research Training Program (RTP) has replaced the International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (IPRS) program that offers scholarships for the participating universities.
- The Destination Australia Program (DAP) provides over 1,000 scholarships available each year to support domestic and international students.
Scholarship in Australia for Indian students
One of the main scholarships for Indian students to study in Australia is the Australian Government Research and Training Program (AGRTP). It is funded by the Australian government that covers the students’ tuition fee and health insurance for up to three years. The scholarship amount is $28,092 per annum. The details of other scholarships to study in Australia for Indian students are given below:
- Australia Awards: This scholarship in Australia for Indian students is funded by the Department of Education and the Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR) and the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFAT). It is offered to students pursuing undergraduate/ graduate programs at participating universities in Australia and Technical and Further Education (TAFE) institutions. It covers the full tuition fees, airfare, living expenses, Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC), and other allied expenses for two years provided the students return to India upon completion of their studies.
- Endeavour Leadership Program: This scholarship program worth $15,000 per academic year aims to encourage international students to study in regional Australia. This is to regionally develop tertiary education providers in Australia and provide a learning experience to its students. The scholarship is offered every year to eligible students for up to 4 years.
- John Allwright Fellowship (JAF): This fellowship provides Ph.D. and master’s scholarships every year to agricultural researchers. It is administered through the Australia Awards system. The fellowship awards scientists from partner countries engaged in the Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR) research projects to obtain postgraduate qualifications at Australian tertiary institutions.