Are you aspiring to pursue fashion and design-related courses? The National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT) is one of the premier fashion institutes in India. Many great designers like Sabyasachi, Manish Malhotra, Rohit Bal, and many others have graduated from NIFT. This NIFT Entrance exam will be conducted in January every year.
Latest News on NIFT Entrance Exam 2021
- NIFT BDes 2021 Final Results Declared - Published on Jun 10, 2021
- NIFT 2021 Exam Result Released for MDes, MFM and MFTech - Published on Jun 2, 2021
- Jun 10, 2021: NIFT has released the final result for B.Des. admissions 2021 on its official website. For more information, visit NIFT Result.
- June 2, 2021: NIFT has released the final result for M.Des., M.F.M & M.F.Tech admissions 2021 on its official website.
- May 27, 2021: National Institute of Fashion and Technology (NIFT) has released the final result of B.F.Tech admissions 2021 on the official website.
- May 15, 2021: Registration for NIFT 2021 Admission is open for Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh category. The last date to register for the same category is May 31, 2021 (4:00 PM).
- What is NIFT Entrance Exam?
- NIFT 2021 Exam Date
- NIFT 2021 Eligibility
- NIFT 2021 Exam Pattern
- NIFT 2021 Application Form
- NIFT 2021 Syllabus
- NIFT 2021 Admit Card
- NIFT 2021 Exam Centres
- NIFT 2021 Result
- How to prepare for NIFT?
- NIFT Reference Books
- NIFT Exam Analysis
- NIFT 2021 Cut off
- NIFT 2021 Selection Process
- NIFT Courses Offered
What is NIFT Entrance Exam?
NIFT is a National Level Entrance Exam conducted by the National Institute of Fashion Technology for admission into design courses in Undergraduate and Postgraduate programs. NIFT Delhi was set up in the year 1986 under the Ministry of Textiles, Government of India. In the beginning, it had only one program for Fashion Design.
- NIFT has 16 campuses in India, and the main campus is in New Delhi. Some of the other campuses are Bangalore, Chennai. This college was granted statutory status in 2006, empowering it to degrees and other academic distinctions. Director-General Saradha Muraleedharan heads the Institute of NIFT.
- National Institute of Fashion Technology conducts an exam once a year.
- National Institute of Fashion Technology has the absolute authority to organize the NIFT Entrance Exam 2021 and allocate seats for eligible candidates.
- National Institute of Fashion Technology offers bachelor's courses as well as master's courses. B.F.Tech, M.F.Tech, M.Des, and MFM are some of the courses offered at the NIFT.
- Candidates who wish to make a career in fashion technology or design can apply to the NIFT. Before which, they will have to appear for the entrance exam. Interested candidates should read below for more information on the subject.
NIFT 2021 Exam Highlights
The table below represents the details relevant to the NIFT entrance exam. Candidates can check all the details related to the exam here.
|Exam Name||National Institute of Fashion Technology Entrance Exam|
|Acronym||NIFT Entrance Exam|
|Conducting Body||National Institute of Fashion Technology|
|Category||Undergraduate and Postgraduate|
|Courses Offered||B.F.Tech, M.F.Tech, M.F.M, B.Des|
|Mode||Offline, i.e., Pen and Paper-based Test (PBT)|
|Participating Institutes||16 NIFT campuses|
NIFT 2021 Exam Dates
The institute will conduct the entrance exam through offline mode. NIFT 2021 Exam Date is already announced, and it will be conducted on Feb 14, 2021. Interested candidates can apply for this exam as per the schedule given below.
|Application Start Date||Dec 14, 2020|
|Application End Date||Jan 21, 2021|
|Last date to apply with late fee||January 24, 2021|
|Admit Card Date||Feb 1, 2021 (Post 2:00 PM)|
|Exam Date||Feb 14, 2021|
|NIFT Written Test Result 2021 Date||Mar 17, 2021 [B.Des, MFM, MFT, M.Des]|
|Admit Card for Situation Test||B.Des: April 1, 2021
PG: April 18, 2021
|NIFT Situation Test/GD Date||April/May 2021|
|Final Results Date (B.F.Tech)||May 27, 2021|
|Final Results Date (M.Des., M.F.M & M.F.Tech)||Jun 2, 2021|
|Final Results Date (B.Des.)||Jun 10, 2021|
|Counselling||End of May/June 2021|
NIFT 2021 Eligibility
A candidate must satisfy the minimum eligibility criteria for NIFT to get admission in the institute. Candidates should have scored a minimum of 50% marks in class 12 to take up the test.
Candidates belonging to the general category should be less than 23 years. The upper age limit relaxation for candidates who belong to SC/ST/PWD is 5 (five) years. There is no age limit for candidates who are applying for postgraduation programs.
|Age Limit||Below 23 years for Undergraduate (UG) and No age limit for Postgraduate Programs|
|Educational Qualification||Must have passed 10+2 Diploma (33 or 4 years) recognized by AICTE|
|Reservation||5% extra seat reservation for SC/ST/PwD candidates|
NIFT 2021 Eligibility Criteria for applying under the Foreign National/SAARC/NRI/OCI category is different from the regular criteria. Foreign candidates must have these scores mentioned below to get admission into the courses.
|Program Name||Exam Score|
|Bachelor Programme (B.Des & B.FTech)||SAT Score|
|Master Programme (MFM)||GMAT Score|
|Master Programme (M.Des & M.FTech)||GRE Score|
NIFT 2021 Exam Pattern
For a candidate to score well in this entrance test, a fair amount of knowledge regarding the NIFT 2021 exam pattern and syllabus is necessary. NIFT Exam will have CAT, GAT, Group discussion, and Personal Interview rounds. General Ability Test (GAT) is a common test written for all courses offered, and it is the first test for admission into NIFT.
GAT and CAT are conducted for B.Des and M.Des but for the candidates who opt for courses like B.F.Tech, MFM, M.F.Tech only GAT is conducted. There is no negative marking in NIFT Exam, and therefore, candidates can attempt all the questions.
Students aspiring to pursue B.Des and M.Des will have NIFT situation test, Group Discussion, and Personal Interview thereafter.
|Type of Exam||Offline i.e. Pen & Paper-based Test|
|Type of Questions||Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs).|
|Medium of Exam||English|
|Duration||2 hours (B.Des & M.Des); 3 hours for B.F.Tech, MFM & M.F.Tech|
|Marking Scheme||No Negative Marking|
NIFT 2021 Application Form
NIFT Application Form 2021 will be available on the official website from Dec 14, 2020 and the last date to submit NIFT Application Form is Jan 21, 2021. Candidates are allowed to make changes in the NIFT 2021 Application Form once the application correction window will open.
NIFT 2021 Candidates have to upload the recently taken passport size photograph (3 months old) and signature in the below-mentioned formats:
How to register for NIFT 2021?
Before filling the NIFT Application, candidates have to register. The candidates can follow the steps given below to register:
- Step 1: Go to the official website of NIFT.
- Step 2: Click on the Registration link, a new page will pop up.
- Step 3: Enter your Name, DOB, Category Details, Email ID, and select the program.
- Step 4: Use your Mail ID and DOB to login and fill the Application Form.
How to apply for NIFT 2021?
The candidates can follow the steps given below to Apply for NIFT 2021 Exam:
- Step 1: Go to the official website and log in.
- Step 2: Enter all details that are asked and click on the Submit button.
- Step 3: After entering the details click on the "I agree" button.
- Step 4: Verify the details and click on the Save button.
- Step 5: Upload scanned file of image and signature
- Step 6: And the final stage is to pay the Application Fee
How to pay NIFT 2021 Application Fees?
Make sure to keep a receipt of the NIFT application payment for future reference. And note down the application/reference number. NIFT 2021 Candidates have to pay registration fees online (Credit Card/Debit Card/Net Banking) or offline (Demand Draft in favour of "NIFT HO"). Remember, the NIFT application fee varies for candidates from different categories; the information is mentioned here below.
|General/OBC (Non-Creamy Layer)||INR 2000|
|Application Fee with late fine||INR 5000|
Documents Required to Apply for NIFT 2021
Candidates will need the following documents to apply for NIFT Exam:
- Past Educational details
- Marksheets of class 10 and 12
- Caste certificate
- PWD certificate
- Scanned image file of Photograph and Signature
- A valid debit/credit/net banking for the Application Fee payment
NIFT 2021 Syllabus
NIFT Entrance Exam Syllabus includes the topics covered in the tests such as Creative Ability Test (CAT), General Ability Test (GAT), Performance Round, Situation Test, Group Discussion and Personal Interview round. It is important to know the details of the NIFT 2021 Syllabus well before to prepare well for the test.
GAT 2021 Syllabus
NIFT Entrance Exam 2021 will consist of two parts: the Creative Ability Test (CAT) and General Ability Test (GAT). The GAT section will cover the following topics.
- Quantitative Ability
- Communication Ability & English Comprehension
- Analytical and Logical Ability
- General Knowledge and Current Affairs
- Case Study
NIFT CAT 2021 Syllabus
CAT - the Creative Ability Test of the NIFT Selection Process is an exam that tests the intuitive ability and observation power of a candidate. It tests the conceptual knowledge and the design ability of a candidate.
Students can sharpen their drawing skills and improve their imagination skills by creating new ideas using different colours.
NIFT 2021 Admit Card
NIFT Admit Card is released online and available for download for all aspirants from Feb 1, 2021. All eligible candidates can download their NIFT 2021 Admit Card from the official website. One has to enter the DOB and login id to access the hall ticket.
Candidate must carry anyone government id proof such as Voter Id, PAN Card, Aadhar Card, Driving License, Passport along with Admit Card.
Suppose the candidate finds any mismatch of the data present on the Admit card. In that case, he or she may report it to the concerned authority as soon as possible. The NIFT 2021 Admit Card will be used in every selection process, so keep multiple copies of it
How to Download NIFT 2021 Admit Card?
The candidates can follow the steps given below to download their NIFT 2021 Admit Card from the official website:
- Step 1: Go to the official website of NIFT for admission https://applyadmission.net/nift2021.
- Step 2: Click on Admit Card link to get to the login page.
- Step 3: Enter the official login credentials as per the registration.
- Step 4: Click on the Submit button.
- Step 5: Download and take a printout.
NIFT 2021 GD/PI Admit Card
A new Admit Card is issued for the candidates who are shortlisted for the Situation Round. Candidates can download the second Admit card for NIFT from the official website. They will be required to go to the login section of the Admission portal, fill in NIFT 2021 credentials, then their Admit Card will appear on the screen. The Admit card should be downloaded, and it should be printed. Candidates will be required to take the Admit Card at the Situation Test Venue. The NIFT Admit Card will have all the required details of the centre.
NIFT 2021 Exam Centres
About 32 cities in India are chosen as NIFT Centre for the examination to be held on Feb 14, 2021. The candidates can choose NIFT Exam City when they are filling up the Application Form. Candidates should locate their NIFT exam centre a day before, at least, to avoid any problem on the Exam day.
Once the NIFT Registration form is submitted candidates will not be able to change test city that they have opted. The NIFT Test Venue and address will be typed on the Admit Card of the candidate.
The following are 32 cities where NIFT Exam will be conducted:
Documents Required on the NIFT 2021 Exam Day
Following are the documents which a candidate should carry to NIFT Exam Hall:
- Admit Card
- Government ID Proof
- Passport size photo
NIFT 2021 Result
The NIFT 2021 final results have been declared on the official website for B.F.Tech on May 27, for M.Des., M.F.M & M.F.Tech on Jue 2, 2021, and for B.Des. on Jun 10, 2021. After the declaration of the result for the written test, a situation test was conducted.
Final Results of NIFT 2021 will be prepared based on GAT, CAT, and Situation Test Scores.
How to download NIFT 2021 Result?
To download NIFT 2021 Result from the official website the candidates will have to follow the steps given below:
- Go to the official website and click on the Result link.
- Enter your Roll number and DOB to log in.
- Click on the Submit button.
- Download and take a printout of the Result.
Details on NIFT 2021 Score Card
The NIFT 2021 Result is declared in the form of a Scorecard. The NIFT Scorecard will be required at the various stages of the counselling process including counselling. The scorecard for NIFT Entrance Exam 2021 will have the following information:
- Candidate's Name
- Roll Number
- NIFT application number
- Date of Birth
- NIFT Subject-wise scores (CAT and GAT)
- Total Score
How to prepare for NIFT Entrance Exam?
NIFT is one of the major design exams in India. Clearing the NIFT Entrance Exam will help aspiring students to get admission into a NIFT Campus. Every year a lot of students take up this challenging exam to get into the reputed NIFT. To help students get through this exam we have enlisted some major tips which every candidate can follow while taking the test.
- Go through a lot of magazines, posters, advertisements to get ideas for NIFT
- Prepare for all the sections and rounds
- Try and improve your sketching skills
- Prepare according to the syllabus
- Prepare notes and refer to it when you are revising
- Refer to previous year question papers
NIFT 2021 Reference Books
NIFT, NID/IIFT Entrance Exam Guide by D Mittal and NIFT, NID/ IIFT Admission Test by Surendra Kavimandan are books referred by the conducting authority for preparation of 2021.
Preparing with the right books for NIFT is very important. After choosing the right study material it is important to practice a lot of questions. This will strengthen your basics. You should start with Previous year NIFT Exam Papers to make your base in preparation and understand the pattern. Also, there is a lot of online material available, go and harness the value of it. Most importantly, there are abundant testimonials from toppers - you can have look on it, a little bit of guidance will help you navigate your own trajectory toward NIFT Selection.
NIFT 2020 Exam Analysis
- The NIFT Entrance exam for the year 2020 was conducted on 19th January 2020. The paper was reported to be of moderate level of difficulty by the students who appeared for this examination. The paper consisted of two parts CAT and GAT.
- NIFT CAT(Creative Ability Test) paper was held in the morning session (10:00 AM - 1:00 PM) and the NIFT GAT(General Aptitude Test) paper was held in the afternoon session (2:30 PM - 4:30 PM).
- Two different papers were set for the two different courses i.e; B.Des and M.Des.
- There were 100 questions asked in the GAT paper and 3 questions were asked in the CAT paper.
- It is reported that the papers were easy compared to the previous years’ papers.
Section-wise NIFT 2020 Paper Analysis
NIFT 2020 General Aptitude Test(GAT)
The students reported that the GAT paper was of an easy-moderate level of difficulty.
|GAT Sections||Number of questions||Difficulty level|
|Analytical Ability||15||Moderately difficult|
|General Knowledge and current affairs||15||Moderately difficult|
NIFT 2020 Creative Ability Test (CAT)
- The CAT paper for the NIFT entrance exam 2020 consisted of three questions to be solved in 3 hours. The paper was reported to be easy.
- The candidate’s intuitive and design ability and observational skills for developing a concept, innovative and creative use of colour and illustration skills were judged in the paper.
NIFT 2021 Cut off
NIFT 2021 Cut off is closing rank set by NIFT Participating Institutes and the same will vary across NIFT campuses. The cut off 2021 list will be released after results are announced. There are 16 NIFT campuses in India all of them will release an opening and closing rank for various courses. The students who clear the cutoff will get the call for the further selection procedure.
The cut-off will be calculated considering various factors which are mentioned below:
- Level of difficulty of the exam
- The total number of students appeared for the exam
- Number of seats available
- Previous year cut off trends
NIFT 2021 Selection Process
Candidates who write NIFT Exam will have 3 more stages which they have to qualify to get into their desired course. These 3 rounds are Situational Test, Group Discussion, and Personal Interview.
The selection at NIFT is based on overall performance. Candidates who opt B. Design will have to go through Situational Test and candidates who opt M. Design will have to go through a case study based Group Discussion and Personal Interview. The candidates who qualify all this will be called for Counselling Process. Counselling will be done on the basis of a merit list prepared by the NIFT. The counselling process covers all the criteria such as category and qualification, etc. Please note that there are 2 rounds of counselling, the date of the NIFT second counselling after the first round is completed. The students will be required to pay the fee in due time to avail the seat allotment, else their selection will become void.
NIFT 2021 Counselling
NIFT Candidates who have cleared all rounds of Exam will be called for the NIFT 2021 Counselling Process which will be held on expectedly from Jul 15, 2021. Counselling procedure will consist of Registration, Campus Choice, Downloading Call Letter, and Appearing for Counselling. While getting registered, candidates have to select counselling campus in which they will participate in as well.
The documents which are required during Counselling Process are as follows:
- Transfer Certificate
- Marksheets of class 10 and 12
- 2 Passport Size Photograph
- Aadhar Card/Voter Id/PAN Card/Driving License/Passport
- Candidates who applied for postgraduation courses should bring UG Degree Certificate
- Caste Certificate, etc.
NIFT 2021 Counselling Schedule
For 2021, the NIFT M.Design and other courses counselling will be conducted in 6 slots over 3 days. Starting from Jul 15, 2021 to September 02, 2021. Every day around 128 candidates will be eligible to attend the counselling process. The reporting time for the first slot will be 09:15 AM. Candidates who fail to report within time will be disqualified from that round.
NIFT Candidates have to download their call letter for which a link has been sent to them over email. After successful seat allotment candidates can apply for their letter of allotment confirmation and bill of supply from the official registration portal. NIFT Candidates are required to submit the admission fee to avail the seat allotment within the stipulated time.
NIFT Refund Policy
Candidates who do not want to continue their admission in the NIFT are required to formally request for refund. The complete refund policy is announced on the website of NIFT. The request for withdrawal of admission and refund has to be and online. The candidates are required to visit the website of NIFT and log in using credentials then request for withdrawal. The payments will be initiated in due course. The refund request will only be accepted if they are done within a timeline.
NIFT Courses Offered
The following are courses that are offered by NIFT:
- Bachelor of Fashion Technology
- Bachelor of Design
- Master of Design
- Master of Fashion technology
- Master of Fashion management
NIFT Exam Contact Details
If the candidates have any queries related to NIFT Exam they can contact the official Exam conducting authority. They can be reached from Monday to Friday between 10:00 AM to 01:00 PM and 02:00 PM to 04:00 PM.
National Institute of Fashion Technology, Hauz Khas, Near Gulmohar Park, New Delhi, India 110016.
Email: [email protected]
What is eligibility criteria for NIFT admission?
For UG programs, candidates should have passed 10+2 or equivalent exam, and for PG programs, UG degree is required.
I am from Nepal, can I apply for the NIFT exam?
Yes, you can apply for the NIFT Exam. Candidates from any country or any part of the world can apply. It is advised to check the eligibility criteria for foreign candidates.
Can I change the NIFT 2020 Exam Center?
No, the exam center once allotted cannot be changed under any circumstances.
How can I get NIFT 2020 prospectus?
Candidates can download prospectus from the official website.
What is the upper limit to apply for NIFT exam?
For undergraduate courses, candidate should not be more than 23 years of age and there\'s no age restriction for the Postgraduate programs.
How are students assessed in the regular programs?
Candidates are assessed based on assignments, projects, internships, and presentations. Performances will be evaluated by academicians and industry professionals.
Is there any restriction on number of attempts to clear the exam?
No, you can take examination any number of times but in case of design, you can write only till you attain the upper age limit. Candidates are advised to check the eligibility for the same.
What is minimum percentage required to apply for NIFT exam?
The candidate should have scored minimum marks of 50% in class 12.
Is it possible to apply for more than one program?
No, you cannot apply for more than one program.
What is the counselling procedure for NIFT?
Candidates will be called for counselling process according to merit list. Shortlisted candidates can select courses and centres of study. The candidate has to get all required original documents for verification purposes during counselling process.
How many stages are there in NIFT 2020 exam?
The exam will be conducted in the offline mode i.e, Pen Paper Based Test (PBT) and has three stages: Written Test, Situation Test and Group Discussion/Personal Interview.
Is NIFT a government institution?
Yes. The National Institute of Fashion Technology i.e. NIFT is a government institution. It comes under the ministry of textile in India.