Aspiring to pursue fashion and design-related courses? National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT) is one of premier fashion institutes in India. Great designers like Sabyasachi, Manish Malhotra, Rohit Bal have graduated from NIFT. This NIFT Entrance exam will be conducted in the month of January every year.
Latest Update: NIFT 2020 Results have been released. Check Now.
- What is NIFT Entrance Exam?
- NIFT 2020 Exam Date
- NIFT 2020 Eligibility
- NIFT 2020 Exam Pattern
- NIFT 2020 Application Form
- NIFT 2020 Syllabus
- NIFT 2020 Admit Card
- NIFT 2020 Exam Centres
- NIFT 2020 Result Announced
- How to prepare for NIFT?
- NIFT Reference Books
- NIFT 2020 Exam Analysis
- NIFT 2020 Cut off
- NIFT 2020 Selection Process
- NIFT Courses Offered
- Related Exams
What is NIFT Entrance Exam?
NIFT is a National Level Entrance Exam conducted by National Institute of Fashion Technology for admission into design courses in Undergraduate and Postgraduate programs. NIFT Delhi was set up in the year 1986 under the Ministry of Textiles, Government of India. In the beginning, it had only one programme for Fashion Design.
- NIFT has 16 campuses in India and the main campus is in New Delhi. Some of the other campuses are NIFT Bangalore, Chennai This college was granted statutory status in 2006, empowering it to degrees and other academic distinctions. The Institute of NIFT is headed by Director-General Saradha Muraleedharan.
- National Institute of Fashion Technology conducts an exam once a year.
- National Institute of Fashion Technology has the whole authority to organize NIFT Entrance Exam 2020 and to allocate seats for eligible candidates.
NIFT Exam Highlights
|Exam Name||National Institute of Fashion Technology Entrance Exam|
|Acronym||NIFT Entrance Exam|
|Conducting Body||National Institute of Fashion Technology|
|Category||Undergraduate and Postgraduate|
|Courses Offered||B.F.Tech, M.F.Tech, M.F.M, B.Des|
|Mode||Offline i.e. Pen and Paper-based Test (PBT)|
|Participating Institutes||16 NIFT campuses|
NIFT 2020 Exam Analysis
- The NIFT Entrance exam for the year 2020 was conducted on 19th January 2020. The paper was reported to be of moderate level of difficulty by the students who appeared for this examination. The paper consisted of two parts CAT and GAT.
- NIFT CAT(Creative Ability Test) paper was held in the morning session (10 AM - 1 PM) and the NIFT GAT(General Aptitude Test) paper was held in the afternoon session (2:30 PM - 4:30 PM).
- Two different papers were set for the two different courses i.e; B.Des and M.Des.
- There were 100 questions asked in the GAT paper and 3 questions were asked in the CAT paper.
- It is reported that the papers were easy compared to the previous years’ papers.
Section-wise Paper Analysis
NIFT General Aptitude Test(GAT)
The students reported that the GAT paper was of an easy-moderate level of difficulty.
|GAT Sections||Number of questions||Difficulty level|
|GAT Sections||Number of questions||Difficulty level|
|Analytical Ability||15||Moderately difficult|
|General Knowledge and current affairs||15||Moderately difficult|
NIFT Creative Ability Test(CAT)
- The CAT paper for the NIFT entrance exam 2020 consisted of three questions to be solved in 3 hours. The paper was reported to be easy.
- The candidate’s intuitive and design ability and observational skills for developing a concept, innovative and creative use of color and illustration skills were judged in the paper.
NIFT 2020 Exam Dates
NIFT 2020 is a test that is conducted offline. NIFT 2020 Exam Date is already announced and it occurs on January 19, 2020. Interested candidates can apply for this exam as per the schedule given below.
|Application Start Date||October 23, 2019|
|Application End Date||December 31, 2019|
|Last date to apply with late fee||January 4, 2020|
|NIFT Application Form Edit Window||January 1 to January 4, 2020|
|Admit Card Date||January 10, 2020 (Released)|
|Exam Date||January 19, 2020|
|NIFT Result 2020 Date||March 2, 2020 (tentative)|
|NIFT Situation test/GD Date||April/May 2020|
|Final Results Date||May/June 2020|
NIFT 2020 Eligibility
A candidate must satisfy the minimum eligibility criteria for NIFT to get admission in the institute. Candidates should have scored a minimum of 50% marks in class 12 to take up the test.
Candidates belonging to the general category should be less than 23 years. The upper age limit relaxation for candidates who belong to SC/ST/PWD is 5 years. There is no age limit for candidates who are applying for postgraduation programs.
|Age Limit||Below 23 years for Undergraduate (UG) and No age limit for Postgraduate Programs|
|Educational Qualification||Must have passed 10+2 Diploma (33 or 4 years) recognized by AICTE|
|Reservation||5% extra seat reservation for SC/ST/PwD candidates|
NIFT Eligibility Criteria for applying under the Foreign National/SAARC/ NRI/OCI category is different from the regular criteria. Foreign candidates must have these scores mentioned below to get admission into the courses.
|Program Name||Exam Score|
|Bachelor Programme (B.Des & B.FTech)||SAT Score|
|Master Programme (MFM)||GMAT Score|
|Master Programme (M.Des & M.FTech)||GRE Score|
NIFT 2020 Syllabus
NIFT Entrance Exam Syllabus includes the topics covered in the tests such as Creative Ability Test (CAT), General Ability Test (GAT), Performance Round, Situation Test, Group Discussion and Personal Interview round. It is important to know the details of the NIFT 2020 Syllabus well before to prepare well for the test.
NIFT Entrance Exam 2020 will consist of two parts such as Creative Ability Test (CAT) and General Ability Test (GAT). The GAT section will cover the following topics.
- Quantitative Ability
- Communication Ability & English Comprehension
- Analytical and Logical Ability
- General Knowledge and Current Affairs
- Case Study
NIFT CAT Syllabus
CAT - the Creative Ability Test is an exam which tests the intuitive ability and observation power of a candidate. It tests the conceptual knowledge and the design ability of a candidate.
Students can focus on sharpening their drawing skills and improving their imagination skills by creating new ideas using colours.
NIFT 2020 Exam Pattern
For a candidate to score well in this entrance test, a good amount of knowledge regarding the NIFT 2020 exam pattern and syllabus is necessary. NIFT Exam will have CAT, GAT, Group discussion, and Personal Interview rounds. General Ability Test (GAT) is a common test written for all courses offered and it is the first test for admission into NIFT.
GAT and CAT are conducted for B.Des and M.Des but for the candidates who opt for courses like B.F.Tech, MFM, M.F.Tech only GAT is conducted. There is no negative marking in NIFT Exam, candidates can attempt all the questions.
Students aspiring to pursue B.Des and M.Des will have NIFT situation test, Group Discussion and Personal Interview thereafter.
|Type of Exam||Offline i.e. Pen & Paper-based Test|
|Type of Questions||Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs).|
|Medium of Exam||English|
|Duration||2 hours (B.Des & M.Des) ; 3 hours for B.F.Tech, MFM & M.F.Tech|
|Marking Scheme||No Negative Marking|
NIFT 2020 Application Form
NIFT Application Form 2020 will be available on the official website from October 23, 2019 and last date to submit Application Form is on December 31, 2019. Candidates are allowed to make changes in NIFT 2020 Application Form from January 1 to January 4, 2020.
Candidates have to pay registration fees online (Credit Card/Debit Card/Net Banking) or offline (Demand Draft in favor of "NIFT HO"). Remember the application fee varies for candidates from different categories, the information is mentioned here below.
|General/OBC (Non-Creamy Layer)||INR 2000/-|
|Application Fee with late fine||INR 5000 /-|
Candidates have to upload the recently taken passport size photograph (3 months old) and signature in below-mentioned formats:
How to register for NIFT 2020?
Before filling the NIFT Application, candidates have to register. The candidates can follow steps given below to register:
- Step 1: Go to the official website of NIFT.
- Step 2: Click on the Registration link, a new page will pop up.
- Step 3: Enter your Name, DOB, Category Details, Email ID, and select the program.
- Step 4: Use your Mail ID and DOB to login and fill the Application Form.
How to apply for NIFT 2020?
The candidates can follow steps given below to Apply for NIFT 2020 Exam:
- Step 1: Go to the official website and log in.
- Step 2: Enter all details that are asked and click on Submit button.
- Step 3: After entering the details click on "I agree" button.
- Step 4: Verify the details and click on Save button.
- Step 5: Upload scanned file of image and signature
- Step 6: And final stage is to pay the Application Fee
Documents Required to Apply for NIFT 2020
Candidates will need following documents to apply for NIFT Exam:
- Past Educational details
- Marksheets of class 10 and 12
- Caste certificate
- PWD certificate
- Scanned image file of Photograph and Signature
- A valid debit/credit/net banking for the Application Fee payment
NIFT 2020 Admit Card
NIFT Admit Card is released online and available for download for all aspirants from January 10, 2020. All eligible candidates can download their NIFT 2020 Admit Card from the official website. One has to enter the DOB and login id to access the hall ticket.
Candidate must carry anyone government id proof such as Voter Id, PAN Card, Aadhar Card, Driving License, Passport along with Admit Card.
If the candidate finds any mismatch of the data present on the admit card, then he or she may report it to the concerned authority as soon as possible.
How to Download NIFT 2020 Admit Card?
The candidates can follow steps given below to download NIFT Admit Card from official website:
- Step 1: Go to the official website https://applyadmission.net/nift2020
- Step 2: Click on Admit Card link. This will take you to login page.
- Step 3: You have to enter your Credentials and log in.
- Step 4: Click on Submit button.
- Step 5: Download and take a printout.
NIFT 2020 Exam Centres
About 32 cities in India are chosen as NIFT Centre for the examination to be held on January 19, 2020. The candidates can choose NIFT Exam City when they are filling up Application Form.
Once NIFT Registration form is submitted candidates will not be able to change test city that they have opted. The NIFT Test Venue and address will be typed on Admit Card of candidate.
The following are 32 cities where NIFT Exam will be conducted:
Documents Required on the Exam Day
Following are the documents which a candidate should carry to NIFT Exam Hall:
- Admit Card
- Government ID Proof
- Passport size photo
NIFT 2020 Result
The written exam results will be declared on the official website for all category candidates based on qualified marks on March 2, 2020. After the declaration of result for the written test, a situation test will be conducted for candidates in April/ May 2020.
Final Results of NIFT 2020 will be prepared based on GAT, CAT and Situation Test Scores which will be declared in the month of May/June 2020.
How to download NIFT 2020 Result?
To download NIFT 2020 Result from the official website the candidates will have to follow the steps given below:
- Step 1: Go to official website and click on the Result link.
- Step 2: Enter your Roll number and DOB to log in.
- Step 3: Click on the Submit button.
- Step 4: Download and take a printout of Result.
How to prepare for NIFT Entrance Exam?
NIFT is one of the major design exams in India. Clearing the NIFT Entrance Exam will help aspiring students to get admission into a NIFT Campus. Every year a lot of students take up this challenging exam to get into the reputed NIFT. To help students get through this exam we have enlisted some major tips which every candidate can follow while taking the test.
- Go through a lot of magazines, posters, advertisements to get ideas
- Prepare for all the sections and rounds
- Try and improve your sketching skills
- Prepare according to the syllabus
- Prepare notes and refer to it when you are revising
- Refer to previous year question papers
NIFT 2020 Reference Books
NIFT, NID/ IIFT Entrance Exam Guide by D Mittal and NIFT, NID/ IIFT Admission Test by Surendra Kavimandan are books referred by the conducting authority for preparation of NIFT 2020.
Preparing with the right books for NIFT is very important. After choosing the right study material it is important to practice a lot of questions. This will strengthen your basics.
NIFT 2020 Cut off
NIFT 2020 Cut off is closing rank set by NIFT Participating Institutes and the same will vary across NIFT campuses. The NIFT cut off 2020 list will be released after results are announced. There are 16 NIFT campuses in India all of them will release an opening and closing rank for various courses.
The cut-off will be calculated considering various factors which are mentioned below:
- Level of difficulty of the exam
- The total number of students appeared for exam
- Number of seats available
- Previous year cut off trends
NIFT 2020 Selection Process
Candidates who write NIFT Exam will have 3 more stages which they have to qualify to get into their desired course. These 3 rounds are Situational Test, Group Discussion, and Personal Interview.
The selection is based on overall performance. Candidates who opt B. Design will have to go through Situational Test and candidates who opt M. Design will have to go through a case study based Group Discussion and Personal Interview. The candidates who qualify all this will be called for Counselling Process.
NIFT 2020 Counselling
Candidates who have cleared all rounds of Exam will be called for the NIFT 2020 Counselling Process which will be held on expectedly from June 25, 2020. Counseling procedure will consist of Registration, Campus Choice, Downloading Call Letter, and Appearing for Counselling. While getting registered, candidates have to select counseling campus in which they will participate in as well.
The documents which are required during Counselling Process are as follows:
- Transfer Certificate
- Marksheets of class 10 and 12
- 2 Passport Size Photograph
- Candidates who applied for postgraduation courses should bring Degree Certificate
- Caste Certificate, etc.
NIFT Courses offered
The following are courses that are offered by NIFT:
- Bachelor of Fashion Technology
- Bachelor of Design
- Master of Design
- Master of Fashion technology
- Master of Fashion management
If the candidates have any queries related to NIFT Exam they can contact official conducting authority. They can be reached from Monday to Friday between 10:00 AM to 01:00 PM and 02:00 PM to 04:00 PM.
National Institute of Fashion Technology, Hauz Khas, Near Gulmohar Park, New Delhi, India 110016.
Email: [email protected]