Every commerce student dreams of becoming a Chartered Accountant (CA) one day. CA Foundation is conducted by the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI), which helps the CA aspirants to achieve their goals. The regulatory body ICAI conducts 3 exams- CA Foundation, CA Intermediate and CA Final. CA Foundation Exam is a must for the aspirants who want to carve a niche in the sector of business accounting.
Latest News on CA Foundation 2020
- November 24, 2020: The ICAI has announced that the November 2020 exams will be postponed for all the cities that are affected due to the Nivar Cyclone, and the candidates who have applied will be given a re-exam on December 9 (CA Intermediate & IPC) and December 11, 2020 (CA Final [Old and New]).
- November 19, 2020: As per the official notification released by the ICAI, the CA Jan 2021 Exam is scheduled to be conducted from January 21, 2020, onwards. the detailed schedule will be announced after the last date of the opt-out scheme for the Nov 2020 Exams.
- November 1, 2020: The admit card for the CA Foundation 2020 Exam is now released. Candidates can download the same by logging in. Check the CA Foundation Admit Card section for more details.
- What is CA Foundation?
- CA Foundation 2020 Exam Date
- CA Foundation 2020 Eligibility
- CA Foundation 2020 Registration
- CA Foundation 2020 Application Form
- CA Foundation 2020 Exam Pattern
- CA Foundation 2020 Syllabus
- CA Foundation 2020 Admit Card
- CA Foundation 2020 Exam Centres
- CA Foundation 2020 Result
- CA Foundation 2020 Cut off
- How to prepare for the CA Foundation?
- Contact Details
- Related Exams
What is CA Foundation?
About CA Foundation: CA Foundation is a national level exam conducted in the month of June and November/December. It is taken up by the candidates who are aspiring to become Chartered Accountants in India. It was formerly known as CA Common Proficiency Test (CA CPT).
About ICAI: The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) is a statutory body established on July 01, 1949, for regulating the profession of Chartered Accountancy in the country. The ICAI is the second largest professional body of Chartered Accountants (CA) in the world. It is headquartered at New Delhi.
Different levels of CA: In compliance with the Chartered Accountants Regulations 1988, Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) conducts and administers CA Foundation Exam twice every year. The ICAI conducts 3 levels of CA exam - CA Foundation, CA Intermediate and CA Final. The CA Foundation is an entry-level examination for students who need to qualify in their journey to become a Chartered Accountant. Students who have completed their class 12 are eligible to take the CA foundation exam. CA Foundation Course is the entry-level for the candidates who are willing to do the Chartered Accountancy Course. Students who are appearing for their class 12 exam are also eligible for this course. Candidates have to register for the Chattered Accountancy course and have to study at least four months to appear in the foundation exam.
Results: The results for CA Foundation Exam will be tentatively published within 3-4 weeks after the exam is completed. The score is considered valid for 3 years.
CA Foundation Exam Highlights
The exam details relevant to CA Foundation are tabulated below.
|Exam Name||CA Foundation (earlier known as Common Proficiency Test)|
|Acronym||CA Foundation (earlier known as CA CPT)|
|Conducting Authority||The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI)|
|Level of Exam||National|
|Exam Category||Undergraduate (UG)|
|Course Offered||Chartered Accountancy in India|
|Mode of Exam||Offline i.e. Pen and Paper-based Test (PPT)|
|Duration of Exam||4 Hours (2 Hours for each exam Session)|
|Frequency||Twice a year|
CA Foundation 2020 Exam Date
Candidates must note that the ICAI CA July 2020 is cancelled and it is merged with ICAI CA November 2020 cycle. The application process will start from August 5, 2020 in the official website of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI). Below are the details of all the important dates of CA Foundation 2020 as well as for Intermediate and Final course exams.
|Foundation Course Exam - Under New Scheme||December 8, 10, 12, and 14, 2020|
|Intermediate (IPC) Course Examination - Under Old Scheme||Group-I: November 22, 24, 26, and 28, 2020
Group-II: December 1, 3, and 5, 2020
|Intermediate Course Examination - Under New Scheme||Group-I: November 22, 24, 26, and 28, 2020
Group-II: December 1, 3, 5, and 7, 2020
|Final Course Examination - Under Old Scheme||Group -I: November 21, 23, 25, and 27, 2020
Group -II: November 29, December 2, 4, and 6, 2020
|Final Course Examination - Under New Scheme||Group -I: November 21, 23, 25, and 27, 2020
Group -II: November 29, December 2, 4, and 6, 2020
|International Trade Laws and World Trade Organisation (ITL & WTO), Part I Examination||Group A: November 21, and 23, 2020
Group B: November 25, and 27, 2020
|International Taxation - Assessment Test (INTT - AT)||November 21 and November 23, 2020|
Candidates should be aware of CA Foundation Exam Dates and other important dates. These dates are as follows.
|Application Form Start Date||August 5, 2020|
|Last Date to submit the application form||August 25, 2020|
|Submission of Application with Late Fees of INR 600 or US$10||September 4, 2020|
|Application correction window||September 7, 2020, to September 13, 2020|
|Online exam forms re-opened||September 9, 2020, to September 11, 2020|
|Admit Card Availability||November 1, 2020|
|CA Foundation November 2020 Exam Date||December 8, 2020 to December 14, 2020|
|Results Date||December 18, 2020|
Time and Schedule of CA Foundation Exam
The schedule of CA Foundation 2020 exam is tabulated below.
|Examination||Paper(s)||Exam. Timings (IST)||Duration|
|Foundation||Paper 1 & 2||2 PM to 5 PM||3 Hours|
|Paper 3 & 4*||2 PM to 4 PM||2 Hours|
Note: In Paper 3 and 4 of Foundation Examination and all papers of Post Qualification Course Examinations there will not be any advance reading time, whereas, in all other papers/exams mentioned above, an advance reading time of 15 minutes will be given from 1.45 PM (IST) to 2 PM (IST).
CA Foundation 2020 Eligibility
Candidates must check the eligibility criteria before registering for the CA Foundation exam. The basic eligibility criteria for CA Foundation Exam is given below.
|CA Foundation Eligibility Criteria||Details|
|Age Limit||No Age Limit|
CA Foundation 2020 Registration
Application form for CA Foundation Exam will be available from August 5, 2020. Candidates can fill in the CA Foundation Application Form and submit it on/before August 25, 2020. The last date for the submission of the application form with a late fee of INR 600 or US$10 is September 4, 2020. Candidates can read the following section to get more details about the CA Foundation Registration.
How to apply for CA Foundation?
Candidates can follow the steps given below to apply for the CA Foundation 2020 exam.
- Candidates can visit the official website and click on the 'login/register' icon.
- Register yourself as a 'New User' by filling all the required details and then by clicking on the 'Register' button.
- You will receive your login ID and password on your registered email id.
- Now login and fill your details and address details for registration and save the details.
- Then fill the academic details, exam centres option, etc in the application form.
- Pay the application fee for CA foundation and then upload your scanned photograph and signature and click on the submit button. Now you have completed the application process.
Correction Window: If you have made a mistake in the application form, ICAI will provide a correction window and in this period you can change the mistakes.
CA Foundation 2020 Registration Fee
The registration fee of CA Foundation is tabulated below:
|Details of Fee||For Indian Nationals (INR)||For Foreign Students (USD)|
|Cost of Foundation Prospectus||200||20|
|Foundation Registration Fee||9000||700|
|Subscription for Student’s Journal (For One Year ) (Optional)||200||20|
|Subscription for Member’s Journal (For One Year ) (Optional)||400||40|
CA Foundation 2020 Application Form
The CA Foundation 2020 application form will be available on the official website, candidates can visit the website and apply for CA foundation. Candidates have to submit the application form before the last date.
An application fee for the CA foundation depends on the location of candidates' selected test centre.
For Indian Centres
For Katmandu (Nepal) Centre
For Overseas Centres (Abu Dhabi, Doha, Dubai, Muscat)
Documents required to apply for CA Foundation
Various documents and details required to apply for CA foundation are as follows.
- Candidate's name, valid email address, and other personal details.
- Permanent Address
- Academic details
- Scanned images of the candidate's recent photograph and signature.
- Online fee payment options.
CA Foundation 2020 Exam Pattern
CA Foundation 2020 is an offline test (Pen and Paper Based). CA Foundation 2020 Examination can be taken up in either English or Hindi, as preferred by the student twice a year.
There will be four papers in CA Foundation out of which Paper 1 & 2 are subjective while Paper 3 & 4 are objective.
- Paper 1: Principles And Practice Of Accounting.
- Paper 2: Business Laws And Business Correspondence
- Paper 3: Business Mathematics, Logical Reasoning, And Statistics
- Paper 4: Business Economics And Business & Commercial Knowledge
Details regarding CA Foundation Exam Pattern is given below:
|Particulars||CA Foundation 2020|
|Conducting Body||Institute Of Chartered Accountant Of India (ICAI)|
|Level of Exam||National Level|
|Frequency of Exam||Twice a Year ( May and December)|
|Mode Of Exam||Offline|
|Mode of Registration||Online|
|Number of Papers||4|
Paper 1 &2: 3 hours & Paper 3 & 4: 2 hours
|Negative marks||Only for Paper 3 and 4 (0.25), i.e is 1/4th of marks|
|Basic Eligibility||Passed Class 12 or Appearing for Class 12 in Current Year|
|Exemptions||Graduates and Post Graduates or Candidates with Equivalent Qualification|
|Marking Scheme||100 marks each paper|
|Negative Marking||No negative marking for Paper 1 & 2, 0.25 marks for Paper 3 & 4.|
CA Foundation 2020 Syllabus
Candidates preparing for the CA Foundation 2020 must have a good idea about the latest syllabus and should also refer to the detailed topics for each subject. This gives candidates a better understanding of the type and content of questions to expect in the CA Foundation exam.
The questions in CA Foundation 2020 will be based on topics like Fundamental of Accounting, General Economics, Mercantile Laws, and Quantitative Aptitude.
The CA Foundation Syllabus is given in the following below:
CA Foundation syllabus for Principles and Practice of Accounting
- Theoretical Framework
- Accounting Process
- Bank Reconciliation Statement
- Concept and Accounting of Depreciation
- Accounting for Special Transactions
- Final Accounts of Sole Proprietors
- Partnership Accounts
- Financial Statements of Not-for-Profit Organisations
- Introduction to Company Accounts
- Basic Accounting Ratios (profitability, solvency, liquidity, and turnover)
CA Foundation syllabus for Business Laws & Correspondence and Reporting
- Business Laws The Indian Contract Act, 1872
- The Sale of Goods Act, 1930
- The Indian Partnership Act, 1932
- The Limited Liability Partnership Act, 2008
- The Companies Act, 2013
- Business Correspondence and Reporting
- Sentence Types
- Vocabulary Root Words, Synonyms, Antonyms, Prefixes, Suffixes, Phrasal Verbs, Collocations & Idioms
- Comprehension Passages
- Note Making
- Introduction to basic writing
- Precis Writing
- Article Writing
- Report Writing
- Writing Formal Letters
- Writing Formal Emails
- Resume Writing Meetings
CA Foundation syllabus for Business Mathematics and Logical Reasoning & Statistics
The syllabus of the CA Foundation for Business Mathematics and Logical Reasoning & Statistics are given below:
- Business Mathematics
- Ratio and proportion, Indices, Logarithms
- Equations and Matrices
- Linear Inequalities with Objective Functions and Optimizations
- Time value of Money
- Permutations and Combinations
- Sequence and Series
- Sets, Functions, and Relations
- Basic concepts of Differential and Integral Calculus
- Logical Reasoning
- Number Series
- Direction Tests
- Setting Arrangements
- Blood Relations Syllogism
- Statistical Description of Data
- Measures of Central Tendency and Dispersion
- Theoretical Distributions
- Correlation and Regression
- Index Numbers and Time Series
CA Foundation syllabus for Business Economics and Business and Commercial Knowledge
The syllabus of the CA Foundation for Business Economics and Business and Commercial Knowledge is given below:
- Business Economics
- Introduction to Business Economics
- Theory of Demand and Supply
- Theory of Production and Cost
- Price Determination in Different Markets
- Business Cycles
- Business and Commercial Knowledge
- Business and Commercial Knowledge: An Introduction
- Business Environment
- Business Organizations Government Policies for Business Growth
- Organizations Facilitating Business
- Common Business Terminologies
CA Foundation 2020 Admit Card
ICAI has released the admit card on the official website on November 1, 2020. The applicants can download the admit card from the official website by entering their login details.
Online copy: Candidates should remember that no hard copy of the admit card will be sent to the candidates, the CA Foundation Admit Card will be available on the official website. Candidates need to take a printout on an A4 size sheet.
Requirement: All the candidates will have to carry the printed copy of the admit card for admission to the examination hall during CA Foundation 2020.
How to download CA Foundation Admit Card?
Once ICAI releases admit card on their official website, candidates can follow these steps to download them.
- Visit the official website.
- You have to log in with your credentials.
- Now you can see an icon "Admit Card", click on it and view your admit card.
- Click on print admit card to take the printout in an A4 size sheet.
Note: If you lose your admit card, you can take printout again by following the same steps.
CA Foundation Admit Card Contents
The contents present on CA Foundation Admit Card are:
- Name of the Candidate
- Candidate’s Photograph and Signature
- Name of the Examination Centre
- Roll Number
- Examination City
- Medium of Examination
- Candidate’s Address
- Exam day instructions for candidates
Note: Candidates can download the CA Foundation Admit Card for a maximum of three times.
CA Foundation 2020 Exam Centres
Candidates have to choose the exam centre during the ICAI CA Foundation 2020 application process. A total of 350+ Exam Centres in India and 6 overseas exam centres for CA Foundation 2020 have been assigned and they are as mentioned below:
Overseas Exam Centres: Abu Dhabi (UAE), Doha (Qatar), Dubai (UAE), Kathmandu (Nepal), Muscat (Oman) and Kampala (Uganda).
- Exam Centres in India: List of CA Foundation exam centres are given in the following table:
|CA Foundation Exam Centre Cities|
Additional Exam Centres
Due to COVID Pandemic, the ICAI has announced on August 4, 2020, that they will open additional test centres for all the CA Exams. Candidates can select the above or below mentioned new test centres at the time of CA Foundation 2020 application process.
|Name of the State||Name of the Exam City|
|Andhra Pradesh||Srikakulam and Vizianagaram|
|Assam||Silchar, Golaghat, Jorhat, Nagaon, Sibsagar and Tezpur|
|Bihar||Banka, Begusarai, Arrah, Motihari, Gaya, Gopalganj,
Jamui, Jehanabad, Katihar, Lakhisarai, Madhepura, Madhubani,
Munger, Bihar Sharif, Nawada, Purnea, Sasaram, Samastipur, Chhapra,
Sitamarhi, Siwan, Supaul, Hajipur and Bettiah
|Chattisgarh||Janjgir, Korba and Rajnandgaon|
|Dadra & Nagar Haveli||Silvassa|
|Gujarat||Amreli, Palanpur, Nadiad, Mehsana, Godhra, Porbandar and Himatnagar|
|Himachal Pradesh||Hamirpur, Solan, Kangra, Mandi and Una|
|Jharkhand||Bokaro Steel City, Deoghar, Dumka, Giridih, Hazaribagh and Ramgarh|
|Karnataka||Bagalkot, Bidar, Vijayapura, Chamaraja Nagar, Chikamgalur,
Chikkaballapur, Chitradurga, Gadag, Hassan, Haveri, Madikere, Kolar,
Koppal, Mandya, Raichur, Tumakuru and Sirsi
|Kerala||Idukki, Kasaragod, Adoor and Kalpetta|
|Maharashtra||Bhandara, Buldhana, Hingoli, Nandurbar, Osmanabad, Sindhudurg,
Wardha and Washim
|Nagaland||Kohima / Dimapur|
|Odisha||Angul, Balangir, Balasore, Bargarh, Bhadrak, Jagatsinghpur, Jajpur,
Kendrapara, Keonjhar, Jeypore, Puri and Rayagada
|Punjab||Mandi Gobindgarh, Ferozepur, Pathankot, Hoshiarpur, Phagwara, Mansa
and Sri Muktsar Sahib
|Rajasthan||Bundi, Dausa, Dungarpur, Hanumangarh Town, Jalore, Jhalawar,
Nagaur, Rajsamand and Tonk
|Tamil Nadu||Cuddalore, Dharmapuri, Dindigul, Nagercoil, Karur, Hosur,
Nagapattinam, Namakkal, Ooty, Pudukkottai, Karaikudi, Theni,
Tiruvallur, Tiruvannamalai and Villupuram
|Telangana||Adilabad, Sangareddy, Shamshabad, Khammam, Mahabubnagar,
Medak and Nalgonda
|Uttar Pradesh||Faizabad, Azamgarh, Baghpat, Bahraich, Ballia, Basti, Bijnor, Badaun,
Deoria, Etah, Etawah, Ghazipur, Gonda, Hathras, Jaunpur, Amroha,
Lakhimpur Kheri, Kushinagar, Mirzapur, Pilibhit, Pratapgarh, Rae
Bareli, Rampur, Bhadohi, Shahjahanpur, Sonebhadra and Sultanpur
|Uttarakhand||Almora, Kotdwar and Kashipur|
|West Bengal||Haldia, Hooghly, Purulia and Kharagpur|
CA Foundation 2020 Result
Results for CA Foundation 2020 June will be announced along with the November cycle results, by the ICAI on December 18, 2020. Candidates can check their qualifying status for Chartered Accountancy Foundation Exam online on the official website.
How to check the CA Foundation Result?
Candidates can check the CA Foundation 2020 results by following the below steps.
- Visit the official website of ICAI and click on Foundation Exam Results.
- After clicking, it will redirect to the exam results page where candidates need to enter the credentials. 6 digit Roll number and Pin number/registration number of the candidate has to be entered.
- Candidates need to enter the captcha as shown in the box provided and click on "Submit". The candidate's CA Foundation Result will appear on the screen.
CA Foundation 2020 Scorecard Details
The Result for CA Foundation 2020 exam will consist of the following details.
- Candidate's Roll Number
- Candidate Name
- Paper number
- Subject Name
- Minimum and Maximum marks
- Total Marks obtained
- Result Status
Certification: Also, candidates who obtain a minimum of 70% marks in the CA Foundation 2020, will receive a “Pass with Distinction” certificate from the ICAI.
CA Foundation 2020 Merit List
After the CA Foundation 2020 results are declared, the ICAI will publish the merit list of the top 50 rank students who cracked the exam. Candidates need to click on the "Merit list" option and enter their Roll number/Registration number to access the merit list.
CA Foundation 2020 Cut off
Candidates have to score the minimum marks set by the ICAI to get shortlisted for Common Proficiency Course (CPC). The candidates must have scored a minimum of 50% average and a minimum of 40% marks in each paper. The cut off is issued by the exam authority along with the result of the exam. Candidates must remember that there are different cut off for all the categories, so they must check the related cut off with respect to the categories.
Factors Affecting CA Foundation Cut Off
CA Foundation Cut Off depends on several factors which determine the eligibility of the candidates for the further round of counselling process. Some of the important factors which are considered for the CA Foundation Cut Off are listed below:
- The number of candidates who have applied for the exam.
- Seat Availability
- The number of candidates who have appeared for the exam.
- Previous years' cut off trends.
- The number of candidates who qualified for the exam.
- Reserved Categories
- Marking Scheme
- Paper difficulty levels
CA Foundation Cut Off 2020 (Expected)
The minimum marks to qualify for the CA Foundation 2020 exam for each of the papers is tabulated below. Candidates can check the expected sectional cut off marks for each of the papers in the table below.
|Section||Sectional Cut Off for CA Foundation||Overall Percentage Required|
|Paper I- Principles and Practice of Accounting||40 Marks||50%|
|Paper-II- Business Laws and Business Correspondence and Reporting||40 Marks|
|Paper III- Business Mathematics and Logical Reasoning & Statistics||40 Marks|
|Paper IV- Business Economics and Business and Commercial Knowledge||40 Marks|
CA Foundation Cut Off 2019
The table below represents the sectional cut off marks for the CA Foundation and the overall percentage required to qualify for the CA Foundation exam. Candidates can check the sectional cutoff for each of the subjects to be eligible for the counselling process.
|Section||Sectional Cut Off for CA Foundation||Overall Percentage Required|
|Paper I- Principles and Practice of Accounting||40 Marks out of 100 (40%)||200 Marks out of the maximum marks (50%)|
|Paper-II- Business Laws and Business Correspondence and Reporting||40 Marks out of 100 (40%)|
|Paper III- Business Mathematics and Logical Reasoning & Statistics||40 Marks out of 100 (40%)|
|Paper IV- Business Economics and Business and Commercial Knowledge||40 Marks out of 100 (40%)|
Past 6 Years Application Trends for CA Foundation
The following table has details as to how many students have passed CA Foundation over five-plus years.
Graph of total students who have taken up the CA Foundation from June 2011 to June 2016:
Inference: The above graph depicts the trend in the last 6 years; students who appeared for the exam and passed in the same.
Red and green bar: The red bar denotes students who have appeared for the exam and green bar shows the students who passed the CA Foundation exam.
June 2016 Exam Trends
Demographic information: The above graph shows the demographic distribution of the candidates who have appeared for the exam in June 2016. You can infer from the graph that the pass percentage for CA Foundation June 2016 was 40.5%.
December 2016 Exam Trends
Demographic information: The above graph shows the demographic distribution of the candidates who have appeared for the exam in December 2016 and qualified in the same. One can infer from the above graph about the pass percentage for CA Foundation December 2016 was 46%.
Time of the registration: The candidate has to reach the allotted examination centre 30 minutes before the start of the examination to complete the registration formalities well before the time.
Stationery products: Ensure carrying 2 black ball pens, 3-4 HB pencils, and other requirements for examination. The candidate has to mark the responses with an HB pencil and write details with a black ball pen.
Carefully fill the circles in the OMR sheet: Aspirants need to check twice after filling the circles in the OMR sheet and other details in the examination.
Use a rough page for calculations: All calculations should only be done in the rough pages of the question paper. Avoid calculations at any other place.
Response & marks: Attempt only those questions in which you are confident. Your every wrong attempt will reduce your marks.
Test conducted as per schedule: No candidate will be allowed to leave his/her seat or the examination hall until the test concludes as per schedule.
Scribble pads: Scribble pads will be provided to the candidates in the examination hall by the invigilators. The same should be used for all rough work.
Minimum attempt of questions: The candidate should attempt 160 questions with full confidence than attempting 200 questions with 40 wrong attempts.
Avoid carrying expensive products: Except for the CA Foundation 2020 Admit Card and identity proof, candidates are not allowed to carry any textual material, Electronic Watches, printed or a bit of paper, mobile phone, pager, or any other device inside the Examination Room/Hall.
How to prepare for the CA Foundation 2020 Exam?
To prepare for the CA Foundation 2020 exam, candidates must follow these strategies.
- Make a proper schedule.
- Prepare short notes as per the topics listed in the syllabus.
- Have a good command over the calculator.
- Do three to four times of revision per day.
- Attempts mock tests as much as possible.
- Follow time-management strategies for each section to manage time during the exam.
- Practice previous year papers. It will help the candidates to analyze what type of questions are being asked in the exam.
Address: The Additional Secretary (Exams)
The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India
New Delhi 110 002
Helpline Numbers: 0120-3054 851, 3054 852, 3054 853, 3054 854, 3054 835, 4953751,
4953752, 4953753, 4953754.
E-mail address: [email protected]
Official Website: icaiexam.icai.org