Are you seeking admission for postgraduate programs in any of the reputed Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) or in the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore? Well look no further, IIT JAM 2021 is giving you an opportunity to do a Postgraduation in any of the IITs or in the IISC, Bangalore. Follow the article below to get more information on how to enrol for the programs offered.
- September 10, 2020: The registrations for the IIT JAM 2021 Exam begin today. Click here for the direct link.
- The schedule for IIT JAM 2021 is announced. The registration process will be conducted from September 10 to October 15, 2020. The IIT JAM 2021 Exam will be held on February 14, 2021. Check the IIT JAM 2021 Exam Date Section for the detailed schedule of events.
- What is the IIT JAM?
- IIT JAM Colleges and Courses
- IIT JAM 2021 Exam Date
- IIT JAM 2021 Notification
- IIT JAM 2021 Eligibility
- IIT JAM 2021 Syllabus
- IIT JAM 2021 Exam Pattern
- IIT JAM 2021 Registration
- IIT JAM 2021 Application Form
- IIT JAM 2021 Admit Card
- IIT JAM 2021 Exam Centres
- IIT JAM 2021 Preparation
- IIT JAM 2021 Results
- IIT JAM 2021 Reference Books
- IIT JAM 2021 Cutoff
- Related Exams
What is the IIT JAM?
Joint Admission Test which is popularly known as IIT JAM is a National level admission test conducted by any of the Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) and Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.
This is done on behalf of the Ministry of Human Resources Development (MHRD) for individuals to get admission to any of the IITs across India.
Applicants can get admission for Master of Science programs (M.Sc), joint PhD dual degree programs and other postgraduate programs. Foreigners can also be allowed to register for this exam only when he or she is deemed eligible based on certain conditions.
IIT JAM is conducted on a rotational basis by any of the Indian Institute of Technology (IITs) and Indian Institute of Science (IISC), Bangalore once every year. IITs and IISc are high-class Institutions whos fame are known by many across the globe, due to the quality structure of syllabus they follow and the well-organised education system given to the students.
Only deserving students who passed the test would have the opportunity to enrol in the course of their choice at any of the IITs and IISC, Bangalore.
IIT JAM 2021 Exam Highlights
The detailed information on the IIT JAM 2021 Exam and associated events is given below in the following table.
|Examination Name||Indian Institute of Technology Joint Admission Test|
|Conducting Body||IISc Bangalore (For 2021)|
|Exam Level||National Level|
|Courses Offered||Master of Science (M.Sc)|
|Mode of Exam||Online i.e. Computer-based Test (CBT)|
|Types of Questions||Objective Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ), Multiple Select Questions (MSQ), Numerical Answer Type (NAT)|
|No. of Sections||3 Sections (Sections A, Section B, Section C)|
|Exam Duration||3 hours i.e. 180 minutes|
|Marking Scheme||+1 mark for every correct one mark answer +2 marks for every right two mark answer|
|Negative Marking||1/3 marks will be deducted for each wrong one mark answer 2/3 marks will be deducted for every wrong two mark answer|
|The medium of Question Paper||English|
IIT JAM 2021 Participating Institutes and Courses Offered
The table shows the participating Institutes and the various Postgraduate (PG) courses offered at their campus across India:
|IIT Bhubaneswar||Joint M.Sc.-Ph.D. Programmes in (i) Chemistry, (ii) Geology, (iii) Mathematics, (iv) Physics, and (v) Atmosphere and Ocean Sciences|
Two-year Master of Science (M.Sc.) Programmes in (i) Applied Geology, (ii) Applied Geophysics, (iii) Applied Statistics and Informatics, (iv) Biotechnology, (v) Chemistry, (vi) Mathematics, and (vii) Physics
M.Sc.-Ph.D. Dual Degree Programmes in (i) Environmental Science and Engineering, (ii) Operations Research,
|IIT Delhi||Two-year Master of Science (M.Sc.) Programmes in (i) Chemistry, (ii) Mathematics, and (iii) Physics|
|IIT Dhanbad||Two-year Master of Science (M.Sc.) Programmes in (i) Chemistry, (ii) Mathematics and Computing, (iii) Physics, and Three Year Master in Science (M.Sc. [Tech]) in (i) Applied Geology, and (ii) Applied Geophysics|
|IIT Gandhinagar||Two-year Master of Science (M.Sc.) Programmes in (i) Chemistry, (ii) Mathematics, and (iii) Physics|
|IIT Guwahati||Two-year Master of Science (M.Sc.) Programmes in (i) Chemistry, (ii) Mathematics and Computing, and (iii) Physics|
|IIT Hyderabad||Two-year Master of Science (M.Sc.) Programmes in (i) Chemistry, (ii) Mathematics/ Mathematics and Computing, and (iii) Physics|
|IIT Indore||Two-year Master of Science (M.Sc.) Programmes in (i) Chemistry, (ii) Mathematics, (iii) Physics, (iv) Astronomy and (v) Biotechnology with an option to convert it to M.Sc.-Ph.D. dual degree programme during the second semester.|
|IIT Jodhpur||Two-year Master of Science (M.Sc.) Programmes in (i) Chemistry, (ii) Mathematics, and (iii) Physics|
|IIT Kanpur||Two-year Master of Science (M.Sc.) Programmes in (i) Chemistry, (ii) Mathematics, (iii) Physics, and (iv) StatisticsM.Sc.-Ph.D. Dual Degree Programmes in Physics|
|IIT Kharagpur||Joint M.Sc.-Ph.D. Programmes in (i) Chemistry, (ii) Geology, (iii) Geophysics, (iv) Mathematics, and (v) Physics|
|IIT Madras||Two-year Master of Science (M.Sc.) Programmes in (i) Chemistry, (ii) Mathematics, and (iii) Physics|
|IIT Patna||Two-year Master of Science (M.Sc.) Programmes in (i) Chemistry, (ii) Mathematics, and (iii) Physics|
|IIT Roorkee||Two-year Master of Science (M.Sc.) Programmes in (i) Applied Geology, (ii) Biotechnology, (iii) Chemistry, (iv) Economics, (v) Mathematics, and (vi) Physics|
|IIT Ropar||Two-year Master of Science (M.Sc.) Programmes in (i) Chemistry, (ii) Mathematics, and (iii) Physics|
|IISc Bangalore||Integrated PhD Programmes in (i) Biological Science, (ii) Chemical Science, (iii) Mathematical Science, and (iv) Physical Science|
IIT JAM 2021 Exam Date
The official dates for the IIT JAM 2021 have not yet been announced. The announcements and declarations will be made on the official website of the IIS. It is very important for the candidates to keep a track of the events as far as the IIT JAM 2021 Exam Date is concerned. They can regularly check in with this page in order to verify the dates or check for changes in the date of the exam and other associated events. The following are tentative dates based on the trends that were followed in 2020.
|Application Start Date||September 10, 2020|
|Application Last Date||October 15, 2020|
|Correction Window of IIT JAM||To be announced|
|Admit Card||January 5, 2021|
|Exam Date||February 14, 2021|
|Result Date||March 20, 2021|
|Counselling Date||To be announced|
Candidates must keep a track of the events of IIT JAM 2021 Exam, in order to not miss out any information or updates regarding the same.
IIT JAM 2021 Notification
The IIT 2021 Notification will be released by its organizing bodies, IITs and the Indian Institute of Sciences, on their official website. The IIT JAM 2021 Application Process will commence on September 10, 2020 and will end on October 15, 2020. The Exam will be organized on February 14, 2021. The Admit Card release date will be stated by the IIS in their official notification. Candidates can check-in regularly for further updates and information related to the IIT JAM 2021 Exam.
IIT JAM 2021 Eligibility
Candidates applying for IIT JAM 2021 exams should be holding a degree certificate from a reputed, certified University or Institution before beginning their application process, for this is the first step to be considered before applying and candidates should be able to write and read in English since the mode of IIT JAM 2021 would be in 'English Medium'. Candidates must have a minimum aggregate mark as mentioned in the table below.
|Category||Percentage Required %|
|General and Other Backward Caste (OBC)||55% (5.5 out of 10 CGPA/CPI)|
|Scheduled Caste/Scheduled Tribes and Persons With Disabilities (PwD)||50% (5.0 out of CGPA/CPI)|
All admitted candidates are, therefore, required to go through the medical examination and must get a physical fitness certificate from a registered medical practitioner as part of the final process.
- The candidate has to check whether he is eligible or not eligible.
Admitting Institute has the right to cancel the admission of a candidate who is found to have been admitted to a course to which he/she is not entitled. This will happen only when the candidate is unqualified or ineligible in accordance with the rules and regulations.
IIT JAM 2021 Syllabus
Knowing the syllabus about a particular exam helps a candidate to prepare strategically. The syllabus of IIT JAM 2021 will provide an insight for the candidates with respect to the type of questions that will be asked along with its distribution in the question paper. IIT JAM 2021 Syllabus is not mentioned due to some aroused reasons since 2014 the governing body stopped doing so, but there have been an authentic set of courses which are selected as a part of the syllabus during the past years. The table below shows the curated syllabus for IIT JAM 2021.
|Mathematics Statistics (MS)|
Below are most of the associated topics which usually appears in the IIT JAM exams, candidates are recommended to take note.
- Biotechnology (BT): Biotechnology test paper comprises of Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics. The syllabus will be of graduation level.
- Chemistry (CH): Physical Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry.
- Geology (GG): Planet Earth, Geomorphology, Structural Geology, Palaeontology, Stratigraphy, Mineralogy, Petrology, Economic Geology, Applied Geology.
- Mathematics (MA): Sequences and Series of Real Numbers, Functions of Two Real Variables, Differential Equations, Vector Calculus, Group Theory, Linear Algebra, Real Analysis,
- Mathematical Statistics (MS): Mathematical Statistics (MS) test paper comprises of Mathematics and Statistics. Sequences and Series, Differential Calculus, Integral Calculus, Matrices, Differential Equations, Statistics, Probability, Random Variables, Standard Distributions, Joint Distributions, Sampling distributions, Estimation, Testing of Hypotheses.
- Physics (PH): Mathematical Methods, Mechanics and General Properties of Matter, Oscillations, Waves and Optics, Electricity and Magnetism, kinetic theory, Thermodynamics, Modern Physics, Solid State Physics, Devices and Electronics, Simple Oscillators.
IIT JAM 2021 Exam Pattern
IIT JAM is a Computer Based Test (CBT) conducted online by the in-charge or conducting authority of the Institute throughout various certified centres across the country. Calculators, electronic pagers and other mathematical gadgets are restricted for the exam.
Both sections (Section A, B and C) are made up of 60 questions together with total marks of 100. Section A is made up of 30 questions with negative marking whiles Section B and C both do not have negative marking and has 10 and 20 questions respectively.
The exam is written in two different sessions: From 9.30 am to 12.30 pm for the first session and from 2.30 pm to 5.30 pm for the second session. The table below shows the various sections in details with their specific timings.
|Session||Time||Test Paper & Code|
|I||09:30 AMTO 12:30 PM||Biological Sciences, Mathematics and Physics.|
|II||02:30 PMTO 05:30 PM||Biotechnology, Chemistry, Geology and Mathematical Statistics.|
IIT JAM 2021 questions will be in three formats, Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ), Multiple Select Questions (MSQ) and the Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions, +1 mark would be given to one mark question whereas one-third marks (1/3) would be deducted for a wrong answer, and +2 marks would be given to a two marks question whereas two-thirds (2/3) marks would be deducted for a wrong answer, therefore, candidates are requested to be sure when answering the questions.
There won't be any deductions for a 'no answer' (a particular question which was not tackled by the candidate). Candidates are expected to finish the exams within 3 hours.
- Multiple Choice Question (MCQ): Only one of the answers is correct out of the given answers
- Multiple Select Questions (MSQ): There could be multiple correct answers
- Numerical Answer Type (NAT): A real number should be entered
IIT JAM 2021 Registration
Registration of IIT JAM 2021 Exam can only be done online through the Institutes' website or can be done directly through JAM Online Application Processing System (JOAPS) official website via the internet. There is a certain procedure that is required to be followed.
- Candidates must fill in their personal details (which consist of candidate's name, email id, password and valid mobile number) as requested on the form from the website, details should be accurate and free from any form of forgery.
- After a candidate registers successfully, he or she would be provided with an enrollment id and also password which later would be used by a candidate to access the JOAPS page to continue for the final phase of the application process.
- After logging in with given credentials, candidates would be directed to the application form page where candidates are requested to only provide accurate and error-free pieces of information with no data being tampered since any wrong information found would lead to disqualification of the candidate.
- Required documents (current photograph, signature, category certificate (if applicable), PwD certificate (if applicable) etc.) are needed to be uploaded by a candidate in the given portal as shown on the screen, the table below shows the file formats and sizes of the documents which are to be uploaded in the given portal.
|Document to be Upload||Resolution (cm)||Size||Format|
|Photograph||3.5 width * 4.5 height||5 kb to 200 kb||jpg/jpeg or pdf|
|Signature||7 width * 2 height||5 kb to 100 kb||jpg/jpeg or pdf|
- Payments can only be made online through (debit card/credit card/Net banking) and also E-Challan method via State Bank of India (SBI). Candidates aspiring for IIT JAM 2021 should take note of these two methods.
IIT JAM 2021 Application Form
IIT JAM 2021 Application Form will be released by the conducting Institute (IISc Bangalore) on the prescribed date September 10, 2020 and its last date for submission is tentatively scheduled as October 15, 2020.
It is essential that the candidates read and understand important instructions and information prior to filling up the Application Form. The Application Form should be correctly filled (details should be accurate and free from any form of forgery) before submitting, candidates should log in with their credentials which were provided, during their registration process, which would enable the candidates to fill the application form. The important documents and other requirements during the filling up of IIT JAM 2021 Application Form are stated below.
The necessary documents required are elaborated below category wise. Candidates should make sure to submit all the below-given documents at the time of the application process.
- Date of Birth etc.
- Passport Information(optional)
- Aadhar card/Voters ID (Valid ID)
- Scanned Photograph
- Pwd and Category Certificate
- Class X Certificate
- Higher Secondary Certificate
Candidates are required to provide proof for the successful payment details.
Application Fee Structure
IIT JAM 2021 Exam payment is mainly done online by either Netbanking, Debit card or the Credit Card mode but, there's another offline mode where candidates can also make their payments, which is the E-Challan SBI mode which is done via State Bank of India.
The fee structure varies depending on various factors (category), candidates are therefore requested to refer to the table below for the fee system for their category of certificate and test paper choice.
|Test Paper I or II||Test Paper I and II|
|General and Other Backward Caste (OBC)||INR 1500/-||INR 2100/-|
|Females (All Categories)/Scheduled Caste (SC)/Scheduled Tribes (ST)/People with Disabilities (PwD)||INR 750/-||INR 1050/-|
Note: Candidate should be certain when making their payments, for the money sent won't be refunded, therefore candidates should reconsider before making payments.
IIT JAM 2021 Admit Card
IIT JAM 2021 Admit Card would be available on the JOAPS website (which can also be accessed on the website of the in-charge Institute or the conducting authority - IISc Bangalore) online.
Candidates should use the given credentials (the enrollment id and password) to log in to gain access to their admit cards and take printouts of same which would also serve as the exam hall ticket for the candidate.
IIT JAM 2021 Admit Card should be in good shape and condition when being presented for the exam or future use, therefore, students are highly recommended to keep it in a safe place.
Since candidates are solely responsible for any error on their admit card during the exam day, to avoid any discomfort or future problem, candidates are requested to cross-check the various given pieces of information on the admit card before taking a print out.
Any discrepancy found on the card should be alerted to the conducting authority, Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur for quick rectification to avoid any future hindrances.
How to download the IIT JAM 2021 Admit Card
The stepwise procedure for downloading the IIT JAM 2021 Admit Card is stated below. Candidates can kindly go through the procedure.
- Visit the official website of the IIT JAM 2021
- Click on the tab for Admit Cards under JOAPS
- Enter login credentials
- After submitting, go to the box for declaration
- Click on the download tab for the IIT JAM 2021 Admit Card
- Download and print the admit card.
Note: Candidates are required to be aware that they will not be permitted inside the exam hall during the exam, without the IIT JAM 2021 Admit Card. Hence, it is mandatory for them to possess the admit cards.
IIT JAM 2021 Exam Centres
Knowing and choosing the convenient exam centre as a candidate is the crucial point to consider before the completion of the Application Form. The name of the exam centres can be found on the admit card.
IIT JAM 2021 will be conducted in 66 different cities across India as per the zones or state location of the Indian Institute of Technology (IITs). Candidates are entitled to choose three cities which are convenient to them (considering transportation and other crucial factors) when filling the IIT JAM 2021 Application Form.
The zone(s) given can only be changed or rectified when a request application is sent to the conducting authority IISc Bangalore together with a Demand Draft of INR 500/- from any Nationalised bank, stating tangible reasons on why your exam centre should be changed.
Exam centres are changed by the authority when the exam centre or zones in the selected city fails to meet the minimum required number of registered candidates which was targetted. The venue will then be dropped from the final list and the candidates will be allotted a suitable city of their second or third choice as per the selection rules.
- However, because of operational constraints, JAM 2021 Committee reserves the right to add a new city or remove an existing one.
- In such situations, the IIT JAM 2021 committee would give a city that may not be any one of the choices stated by the candidate.
IIT JAM 2021 Preparation
To come out as a victor in IIT JAM 2021 a good preparation is essential, candidates can go through the few listed tips which would be helpful. These tips can be taken into consideration only if the candidate is certified eligible and has undergone all the various process to attempt the exam.
- Taking note of the exam dates (IIT JAM 2021 important dates) is the foremost point to be considered as candidates
- A prepared mind has a dedicated mindset for victory. Candidates should begin with a prepared mindset towards the exam.
- Candidates must schedule his or her errands to meet the important dates before the exam month, to avoid any discomfort or hassle
- Candidates should make a personal timetable based on Indian Institute of Technology Joint Admission Test (IIT JAM 2021) Syllabus, Exam Pattern and Important Dates, as to what to study, when to study and where to study.
- Waking up early to prep is highly recommended for candidates, as during morning hours one will have a fresh mind.
- Give less time to social media as you transform your phone into a study tool instead, clearing all addictive social media apps replacing them with study tools containing IIT JAM 2021 syllabus and questions and also making use of some online tools such as youtube and other reliable sources.
- Solve a lot of past questions to become familiar with the question types, for most questions are likely to be repeated in the future exams (eg IIT JAM 2021). When solving past questions, do give yourself the minimum time duration as compared to IIT JAM 2021 Exam time duration.
- Have a balanced diet as you stay fit, giving yourself some break times as you relax and refresh the mind memorizing what you've studied.
- Forbid unnecessary time with friends
- Prepare yourself two weeks before the exam date to do revision on what you have studied. Candidates are requested to begin their studies before the IIT JAM 2021 Exam month.
- Stay Healthy
- Candidates should be on time for the exam during the exam date.
IIT JAM 2021 Result
A merit list will also be released which would contain the list of the candidates who performed well these candidates are selected based on the ranks secured by them. IIT JAM 2021 Results will be declared on the official website of IISc Bangalore for candidates on March 20, 2021 together with the cutoff. Candidates should take a printout of same. Candidates should be aware that the results are based on their performance in the IIT JAM 2021 Exam. It is necessary that they prepare well and attend the same.
How to view the IIT JAM 2021 Result
- Visit the official website of IIT JAM
- Click on the Results tab under the IIT JAM exam
- Enter the login credentials
- Click enter and view the Results
IIT JAM 2020 Reference Books
It is important for the candidates to go through and prepare from the IIT JAM 2021 Reference Books. Candidates can prepare and score better accordingly since it helps understand the topics and questions better. The detailed names of books according to the subjects are mentioned below.
Chemistry Reference Books
- Theory of Gases - by Peter W. Atkins
- Solid State
- Basic Mathematical Concept
- Analytical Chemistry
- Bio-inorganic Chemistry
- Instrumental Method of Analysis
- Organic Reaction Mechanism and Synthetic Applications
Mathematics Reference Books
- Integral and Vector Calculus
- G.F. Simmons - Differential Equations
- Analysis with respect to Real aspects
Physics Reference Books
- Physical science - Mathematical methods
- Vector analysis
- Quantum and Nuclear Physics
- Fundamentals of Electronics and Digital aspects
- EDC theory
- Electro and thermodynamics
- Oscillations and Waves
- Magnetism and Electricity
Biotechnology Reference Books
- Biology in Cellular level
- Molecular-level Biology
- Physiology - Plant and Animal
IIT JAM 2020 Answer Key
The answer key for the IIT JAM 2021 is released shortly after the conduction of the exam. The answer keys will allow candidates to compare the answers that they have marked and also get an idea of the marks that they will score.
|Question Paper||Answer Key|
|Biotechnology (BT)||Click Here|
|Chemistry (CY)||Click Here|
|Geology (GG)||Click Here|
|Mathematics (MA)||Click Here|
|Mathematical Statistics (MS)||Click Here|
|Physics (PH)||Click Here|
IIT JAM 2021 Cutoff
IIT JAM 2021 cutoff will provide candidates with their course and its cutoff marks for admission. Factors like this year's (IIT JAM 2019) cutoff trend, number of outstanding and non-outstanding scorers from the tests, difficulty of the exam, seat availability and total number of candidates would contribute to the determination of IIT JAM 2021 cutoff marks.
Candidates will be able to check cut-off of IIT JAM which is minimum marks required for each subject to be eligible for admissions for M.Sc programs in IITs and IISc.
IIT JAM 2021 Counselling
Candidates who have cleared the cut-off of IIT JAM 2021 will be eligible for counselling. Outstanding candidates (candidates who cleared the cutoff) will then be called for counselling in order to be granted admission to their desired Institute (IITs or IISc). Counselling date will only be released by the in-charge Institute (conducting authority) i.e. IISc Bangalore.
Candidates who passed the cutoff stage must register online (JOAPS official website or through the in charge Institute official website) to appear for the IIT JAM Counselling. Payments of the counselling fee INR 600/- would be made through cash payment at any State Bank of India branch by SBI E-Challan online while registering for counselling.
- Accept and Freeze: By choosing "Accept and Freeze", the Applicant accepts the offered seat and would not like to upgrade to his/ her higher preferences, if any, in subsequent rounds (if applicable).
- Accept with Upgrade: By choosing "Accept with Upgrade", Applicant accepts offered seat and would like to upgrade to his/ her higher preferences in subsequent rounds (if any).
- Reject and Quit: By choosing "Reject and Quit", Applicant rejects the offered seat and would not like to continue in the admission process by IIT JAM.
- Address: Indian Institute of Science, CV Raman Rd, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560012
- Phone No: +91-80-23600757, +91-80-22932444
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: jam.iisc.ac.in
- Help Desk Timing: Monday to Friday (Govt. working days only) 10.00 am to 12.00 noon, 2.00 pm to 5.00 pm