Looking forward to doing B. Design in reputed institutions like IITs? Indian Institute of Technology Bombay conducts an entrance called UCEED Exam. This exam was conducted on January 17, 2021 and its result is accepted by 15 other top colleges in India.
Latest News on UCEED 2020
- September 9, 2020: The registration process for the UCEED 2021 Exam is started. Interested candidates can start applying for the exam on or before October 10, 2020, to avoid having to pay any late fee. Click here for the direct link.
- What is UCEED?
- UCEED 2021 Exam Date
- UCEED 2021 Eligibility
- UCEED 2021 Application Form
- UCEED 2021 Application Process
- UCEED 2021 Exam Pattern
- UCEED 2021 Syllabus
- UCEED 2021 Admit Card
- UCEED 2021 Exam Centre
- UCEED 2021 Result
- UCEED 2021 Cutoff
- UCEED 2021 Paper Analysis
- UCEED 2021 Rank List
- UCEED Selection Process
- UCEED 2021 Counselling
- How to Prepare for UCEED?
- UCEED Reference Books
- UCEED 2021 Previous Year Question Papers and Answer Key
- Guidelines for UCEED
- Contact Details
- Related Exams
What is UCEED Exam?
Undergraduate Common Entrance Exam for Design (UCEED) is a National Level Entrance Examination that offer admission into the B.Des program at IIT Bombay, IIT Guwahati, IIT Hyderabad, IIITDM Jabalpur, and 15 other institutes which accept UCEED scores.
IIT Bombay has the complete rights for conducting UCEED 2021 and to decide about the rules of admissions and allotment of seats. The Course offered through UCEED 2021 is Bachelor of Design (B.Des). Students who have qualified Class 12th (or equivalent) in 2019 or appearing in 2021 in any stream (Science, Commerce, or Arts & Humanities), are eligible to appear for UCEED 2021.
Candidates can attempt the UCEED exam for a maximum of two times and that too in consecutive years. Candidates must secure good UCEED rank to secure admission in BDes programs. UCEED score is valid for one year and is applicable for admission only in the corresponding academic year.
The validity of the UCEED 2021 score is for one academic year, and valid only for admission into the present academic year. The examination will be conducted on January 17, 2021 in the morning session i.e. 10:00 AM to 01:00 PM. UCEED 2021 conducted in 24 cities across India and International Exam centre in Dubai as well.
UCEED 2021 Exam Highlights
The exam details of UCEED 2021 are tabulated below.
|Name of the Examination||Undergraduate Common Entrance Examination for Design|
|Conducting Authority||IIT Bombay|
|Question Type||Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ)|
|Marking Scheme||No Negative Marking for Section 1 and (-0.19) for Section 2 and (-1.32) for Section 3|
UCEED 2021 Exam Date
UCEED exam is conducted through online mode only. The application process for the session 2020-2021 was commenced on September 9, 2020.
The official conducting authority has announced the UCEED 2021 Exam Dates. Below given are the dates of some of the important events related to the UCEED 2021 Exam.
The start date for Online Registration
September 09, 2020
Last date for Online Registration with the regular fee
October 10, 2020
Last date for Online Registration with late fee
October 17, 2020
The start date for Admit Card downloading
January 01, 2021, onwards
UCEED 2021 Examination
January 17, 2021; 09:00 am to 12:00 pm
Release of Draft Answer Key for Part-A
January 21, 2021
Last date for sending comments about Draft Answer Key
January 24, 2021, 5:00 PM
Release of Final Answer Key for Part-A, Average and Std Deviation
January 31, 2021
Declaration of result
March 10, 2021
The start date for Score Card downloading
March 10, 2021
UCEED 2021 Eligibility
Candidates who want to appear for the UCEED 2021 exam must satisfy all the eligibility criteria as specified. Those who are not meeting the requirements will not be allowed to proceed for the further round of the Online examination. Also, the exam authority has the right to cancel their candidature for the 2020-2021 session. Only candidates who satisfy the UCEED 2021 Eligibility Criteria can apply for the exam. The eligibility criteria of UCCED is tabulated below.
Should be born on or after 1st October 1995 for (General, EWS, OBC-NCL) and 1st October 1990 (SC/ST/PWD)
Should have passed class 12 (Science/ Arts & Humanities/ Commerce) or equivalent in 2019 or appearing candidates of 2021 are also eligible
No. of Attempts
Only 2 attempts are allowed for consecutive years
The validity of marks card
UCEED marks sheets will be valid for only one year and only for admission for the corresponding year
UCEED 2021 is open for Indian as well as foreign nationals & OCI/PIO candidates. Seats allotted to foreign nationals are supernumerary with a cap of 10% of total available seats in the course
UCEED 2021 Application Form
UCEED 2021 Application Form was available on the official website of conducting authority from September 9, 2020 and the last date to submit the UCEED Application Form is October 10, 2020. A late fee of INR 500 applies to all candidates for registration done after that. The late dates to complete UCEED Registration with a late fee is October 17, 2020.
UCEED 2021 Application Fee is INR 3000 for all other candidates and INR 1500 for Female and SC/ST/PWD candidates. The registration fee is neither refundable nor transferable.
UCEED 2021 Application Fee
The application fee for UCEED 2021 examination is given below. The concession is given for reserved and female candidates. For all foreign students, the application fee is to be paid in terms of US Dollars.
|Registration Fee for Examination Centres in India|
|Indian Nationals (including PIO/OCI)||Female Candidates (all categories)||INR 1500|
|SC, ST, PwD Candidates||INR 1500|
|All Other Candidates||INR 3000|
|Foreign Nationals||Candidates from SAARC countries||USD 200|
|Candidates from non-SAARC countries||USD 325|
|Registration Fee for Examination Centres outside India|
|Indian Nationals (including PIO/OCI)||All Indian Nationals||USD 200|
|Foreign Nationals||Candidate from SAARC Countries||USD 200|
|Candidate from Non-SAARC Countries||USD 325|
|Note: Registration Fees Does Not Include service charges, processing fee, and any other changes|
UCEED 2021 Application Process
Candidates must successfully complete the UCEED 2021 application process to register for the exam. Applicants can follow the steps given below to register for the exam
- Step 1: Go to the official website and click on the registration link.
- Step 2: Enter your Email ID and click on Register (An activation URL will be sent to the mail)
- Step 3: Fill all the details that are asked and click on Register.
- Step 4: You will be redirected to a page for the eligibility check. Enter the mobile number and verify it. An OTP will be sent to the registered mobile number. (This is also to verify about PWD category)
- Step 5: Now start filling the UCEED 2021 Application Form.
After registering as a new user, candidates can follow the steps given below to complete the UCEED 2021 Application Process
- Step 1: Click on "Fill the Registration Form" button.
- Step 2: Candidates need to enter their Personal Details such as Communication address, Mother's Name, Father's name, Educational Qualification, and Exam Details.
- Step 3: Click on the Save button and cross-check the details entered. After confirmation, candidates need to click on the Confirm button to Submit.
- Step 4: Upload the Documents - Passport size colour photograph and scanned copy of Signature along with Class 10 and class 12 mark sheet. After uploading, click on the Submit button.
- Step 5: Candidates need to make the UCEED 2021 application form fee to complete the registration.
- Step 6: Take a Printout of the UCEED 2021 application form for future reference.
Documents required to apply for UCEED 2021
The following are the documents a candidate will need when he/she is applying for the UCEED 2021 exam:
- Marksheet of class 10 and 12
- Scanned image of Passport size photo
- Scanned image of Signature
- Caste Certificate
- PwD candidates will have to upload a request letter for Scribe/Compensatory time.
UCEED 2021 Exam Pattern
The UCEED 2021 Exam is a computer-based online examination in English. The exam mainly consists of 3 sections Numerical Answer Type (NAT) Questions, Multiple Select Questions (MSQ), and Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ) for a total of 300 marks. The paper will consist of two parts i.e. Part A and Part B. The candidate must take note of UCEED 2021 Exam Pattern so that they can prepare well for the exam.
Mode of Exam
Online (Computer Based Test)
Part A - 240 Marks
Part B - 60 Marks
Total: 300 marks
Part A (Section 1, 2, and 3) and Part B
Part A- 150 Minutes, Part B- 30 Minutes
Part A: Part A will consist of 3 sections i.e. Section I, II, & III with Total Marks of 240 and Time Duration is 2 hours 30 mins. Part A of the question paper will be administered through a Computer-based test.
Section I- NAT (Numeric Answer Type) consists of 18 questions that carry 4 marks each and no negative marking. For these questions, the answer will be a number that needs to be entered using a virtual keyword on the computer screen. No choices will be shown for these questions.
Section II- MSQ (Multiple Select Question) consists of 18 questions that carry 4 marks and (-) 0.19 for the wrong answer. Each MSQ has one or more correct answer(s) out of the given four choices.
Section III- MCQ (Multiple Choice Question) consists of 32 questions that carry 3 marks and for wrong answer (-) 0.71 mark will be deducted. Each MCQs has 4 choices out of which one will be the correct answer.
Part B: Part B consists of just 1 question which is aimed at testing the candidate's drawing skills. The question will be displayed on the computer screen and the answer has to be written/drawn in the answer book provided by the invigilator. Candidate must complete Part B in 30 minutes and the total marks which can be secured are 60.
|Section||Number of Questions||Question Numbers||Correct Answer Marks||Incorrect Answer Marks||Total Marks|
|Part-A (240 marks, 2 hours 30 minutes)|
|Part-B (60 marks, 30 minutes)|
|TOTAL (Part-A and Part-B combined): 300 Marks|
UCEED 2021 Syllabus
UCEED 2021 syllabus is based on the 10+2 mode of education. It is important to understand the formation of questions from different subjects to crack the exam. Since the UCEED 2021 exam is opted by many students from different streams (Arts, Commerce & Science), the UCEED 2021 Syllabus mainly covers topics which are common for design purposes and can be easily solved by all students.
The UCEED 2021 Syllabus for Part A is based on the 6 topics which are given below:
- Visualization and Spatial Ability
- Observation and Design Sensitivity
- Environmental and Social Awareness
- Analytical and Logical Reasoning
- Language and Creativity
- Design Thinking and Problem Solving
Part A Detailed Syllabus
The detailed syllabus of Part A is discussed below.
Environmental and Social Awareness: Awareness of social and cultural connection with the design, history of the designed artefact, and socially responsible, sculpture, history of art and literature. General awareness of environmental factors such as climate, water, population, vegetation, etc.
Language and Creativity: Student’s ability to think creatively in terms of alternatives, ability to understand and use Standard English, ability to distinguish innovative options and think out of the box, reading comprehension, knowledge of English grammar will be seen in this section.
Design thinking and problem: In this section, ability to use metaphors, visual analogies, ability to understand complexity, signs and symbols, identify problems, evaluate options and select solutions generate alternatives will be checked, etc.
Observation and Design Sensitivity: Candidate’s ability to detect concealed properties in ordinary things, situations, and thinking critically about them, people and events will be checked. Also through this section, the candidate’s ability to discern subtle differences in visual properties & aesthetic outcomes will be seen.
Analytical & Logical Reasoning: Candidate’s ability to look at information, be it qualitative or quantitative in nature, and discern patterns within the information will be checked. Student’s ability to use structured thinking and logic to deduce from a short passage, which of a number of statements is the most accurate response to a posed question will be also seen.
Visualization and Spatial Ability: Diagrammatic questions & pictorial questions to test, understanding of transformation and/or manipulation of 3D objects and 2D shapes and their spatial relationships, knowledge of practical and everyday mechanical and scientific concepts.
Part B Detailed Syllabus
It comprises the drawing section where candidates have to draw products, scenes or people, considering factors such as quality, proportion, composition, shading and perspective.
UCEED 2021 Admit Card
The UCEED 2021 Admit Card will be available on the official website from January 1, 2021. The candidates should carefully examine the fields in the UCEED 2021 Admit Card. If any discrepancies are found, then the Chairman JEE (Advanced), UCEED & CEED at IIT Bombay should be contacted before the specified date via email mentioned in the Registration Portal.
UCEED Admit Card Details
The UCEED 2021 Admit Card has the following details of the candidate.
- Candidate's Name
- UCEED 2021 Registration ID
- Roll Number
- Examination Date and Time
- Examination Centre
- Instructions to candidates
How to Download UCEED Admit Card?
The candidates who have successfully registered can follow the steps given below to download the UCEED 2021 Admit Card from the official website:
- Step 1: Go to the official website of UCEED
- Step 2: On the homepage, click on the Admit Card link
- Step 3: Login by entering the Email ID and Password
- Step 4: Download and take a printout of the UCEED 2021 admit card
UCEED 2021 Exam Centres
The UCEED 2021 Exam is held in 24 cities across India and it is also conducted in Dubai. The candidates have to select 3 cities across India in their order of preference while filling the UCEED 2021 Application Form. But they are allotted only one out of the selected alternatives.
The UCEED conducting authority reserves all the rights to add a new city/town or remove an existing one and allot a city/town that may not be among any of the choices of a candidate. The list of UCEED 2021 Exam Centres is listed below.
|UCEED 2021 Exam Centres|
International UCEED Exam Centre
The Candidates opting for Dubai as the UCEED 2021 Exam Centre should also compulsorily opt for 2 cities of their choice from 24 Indian cities. If the number of registrations is less than 25, then the Dubai Exam Centre may be dropped from the final list, and those candidates may be allotted a centre from the 2 Indian cities of their choice, in the order of preferences.
Documents Required on UCEED Exam Day
The following are the documents that the candidate must carry to the Exam Hall:
- UCEED 2021 Admit Card
- Government ID Proof such as Aadhar Card, Passport, Voter ID, Driving License, PAN card etc
UCEED 2021 Result
UCEED results will be released on March 10, 2021. The result is usually shown in the form of a UCEED Rank List. The candidates need to use their User ID and Password (created during the registration process) for viewing UCEED 2021 Results on the webpage. The UCEED 2021 qualified students will be able to download their Scorecard from the official website. The candidates must not that obtaining a rank in UCEED 2021 does not guarantee admission to the B. Des program.
How to Download UCEED Result?
The candidates can follow the steps given below to download the UCEED Result from the official website:
- Step 1: Go to the official website
- Step 2: Click on the Result link
- Step 3: Enter Email ID and Password to log in
- Step 4: Download and take a Printout of UCEED Result
UCEED Cut Off 2020
IIT Bombay has released the UCEED Cutoff 2020 for different sections. The cutoff is given below:
|Category||Part-A Section-wise Cut-off Marks||Part-A Total||Part-B Total||Minimum Total Marks|
UCEED Paper Analysis
Candidates who wrote UCEED 2021 felt that the paper was quite difficult with new pattern changes and it was on the lengthy side. Candidates felt that Section A, B, and C were easy. None of the questions asked in the exam was out of the syllabus. Counting surfaces, Font recognition, Craft identification, Completing the series and Visual Puzzles were the common questions. Candidates felt that it was quite difficult to complete the paper in the given time.
Following topics were covered in UCEED 2021:
- Questions on fonts, counting of shapes, puzzles were asked.
- Geometry was given some importance in UCEED 2021 and more emphasis was given on general knowledge like logos with importance to Indian art, culture, etc.
- A question was asked where the students have to arrange the artist Picasso’s self-portraits in chronological order.
UCEED Rank List
The UCEED 2021 Rank List will be prepared based on the total marks. The candidates who score minimum prescribed marks in each section and minimum total marks will be included in the Rank List.
If two candidates have scored the same total marks there will be tiebreaker policy used to award Rank. The policy used is stated below:
- The candidate who has scored the highest marks in Section B will be awarded a higher rank.
- If the previous policy does not break the tie Section A marks will be considered.
- If there exists a tie even after that, the candidates will be awarded the same Rank.
The minimum marks prescribed for each category is as follows:
|List||Min. Total Marks|
|Common Rank List||100|
|OBC-NCL Rank List||90|
|SC Rank List||50|
|ST Rank List||50|
|PWD Rank List||50|
UCEED 2021 Selection Process
The candidates whose names are in the Rank List will be called for the Counselling Process. Only the candidates who satisfy all the UCEED Eligibility Criteria will be given Admission to B. Des Course.
Available Seats for Academic Year 2020-21 for UCEED 2021
Admission to the Bachelor of Design (B.Des) programmes at IIT Bombay, IIT Guwahati, IIT Hyderabad, & IIITDM Jabalpur are done through the Undergraduate Common Entrance Exam and the following table shows the revised category-wise distribution of available seats in 4 institutes.
Note: *PD reservations @ 5% (total 2 seats in all above programmes) will be horizontal (i.e. PD candidates will consume seats from their birth category quota)
UCEED 2021 Counselling
The UCEED Counselling has commenced from January 1, 1970. Three rounds of seat allocation have been conducted by the IIT Bombay. The First seat allocation was on January 1, 1970, second seat allocation on July 19, 2020, and the third and last allocation of the seat was on July 27, 2020. The seats are allotted based on the applicant UCEED Rank, Category, and Choice of Institutes. Selected candidates will receive their provisional allotment letter via registered email ID, after which they have to pay the seat acceptance fee of INR 60,000 for General/OBC/EWS and INR 15,000 for the other reserved categories. The seat allocation is based on the following rules by the conducting authority.
- If the selected candidates do not pay the seat acceptance fee before the given date or have declined the admission, then their UCEED 2021 application will stand cancelled. These vacant seats shall be filled during the upcoming rounds of UCEED 2021 seat allotment.
- If the candidate is allotted the First choice of their desired institute, then the candidate can either accept (freeze) the choice or decline the seat offer.
- If the candidate is allotted the Second or Third choice of their desired institute, then the candidate can opt to either accept (freeze) the choice or accept with the option to be considered for upward movement (Float).
- Candidates do not have an option to withdraw an allotted seat after the last round of seat allocation has been published by the IIT Bombay.
Admissions are offered for the Bachelor of Design (B.Des) programs at IIT Bombay, IIT Hyderabad, IIT Guwahati, IIITDM Jabalpur, and other participating institutes as mentioned below
Below mentioned is the list of Institutes which accept the UCEED Scores. The official website of UCEED has published on August 04, 2020, that the Hindustan Institute of Technology and Science, Chennai will be allowing few seats in their undergraduate course for admission through UCEED 2021. However, the institute will not be a part of the Joint Admission Process conducted by IIT Bombay.
|1||Vivekanand Global University, Jaipur|
|2||World University of Design, Delhi-NCR|
|3||Central Institute of Technology, Kokrajhar|
|4||Chitkara University, Punjab|
|5||U.P. Institute of Design Noida (An Institute of Dr A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Technical University, Lucknow)|
|6||Lovely Professional University, Phagwara, Punjab|
|7||University of Petroleum and Energy Studies, Dehradun|
|8||VIT University, Vellore, TamilNadu|
|9||Srishti School of Art Design and Technology, Bengaluru|
|10||Delhi Technical University, Delhi|
|11||Anant National University, Ahmedabad|
|12||Nirma University, Ahmedabad|
|13||ARCH College of Design and Business, Jaipur|
|14||Khyati School of Design, Jaipur|
|15||MIT World Peace University, Pune|
|20||Hindustan Institute of Technology and Science|
How to Prepare for UCEED 2021?
The candidates who are aspiring to write UCEED 2021 can use the following important tips to crack the exam.
- Go through the Syllabus and start preparing according to the prescribed Syllabus.
- Though it is a Computer Based Test, questions based on drawings will be asked so be prepared with concepts related to drawings.
- Be prepared with basic concepts of Science, Maths, and Computer Science.
- Refer various reference books and previous year question papers to know about the types of questions asked.
- Plan your everyday activity to manage time.
- Prepare notes whenever you are studying and refer it later.
- Take mock tests frequently to assess your performance.
- For better result revise before the exam.
UCEED Reference Books
Candidates preparing for the UCEED entrance exam must study from good reference books which are available in the market. Candidates can get good resources from online as well. Few of the good reference books which can help you in the preparation of the UCEED exam is given below.
- NID-NIFT-UCEED-CEED Workbook by Ar. Revati Shantanu Parkhi and Rhythm Singh Kachhawa
- UCEED Mock Test Series 2020-21
- Guide for NIFT/NID/IIFT 2020- 21 by Arihant Publications
- NIFT, NID & IIFT Entrance Exam Guide By D Mittal
- NIFT Entrance Examination Preparation Course By Prashant Kumar
- Self Study Guide – NIFT 10 Mock Papers By D. Mittal
Guidelines for UCEED 2021
- Candidates must carry a printed copy of the downloaded Admit Card. Only those candidates having a valid UCEED 2021 Admit Card will be allowed inside the examination centre.
- The candidate’s identity will be verified by invigilators as well as the IIT representatives. If the identity of the candidate is in doubt, the candidate may not be allowed to appear for the examination. However, the authorities at their discretion may permit the candidate to appear for the examination after completing certain formalities. No extra time will be allowed for completing the examination instead of the time taken for completing these formalities.
- Impersonation in the UCEED 2021 examination is a serious offence which will thereby result in immediate disqualification of the candidate from UCEED, and lead to a criminal proceeding against the candidate.
- Candidates will NOT be allowed to carry any electronic device (mobile phones, smartphones, digital/ smartwatches, calculators, tablets, etc.), abacus, slide rule, logbooks, study material of any type, geometry box, etc. to the Examination Hall. A list of forbidden items will be put up on the website before the exam if there are additional items.
- Candidates have to remain in the examination hall for the entire duration of the UCEED 2021 examination.
If there are any queries related to UCEED 2021 exam, the candidates can contact the official conducting authority. The details are given below.
Address: Chairman, JEE (Advanced), UCEED & CEED 2021
IIT Bombay, Powai, Mumbai 400076
Phone: +91-22-2576 4063/9093/9094
Email: [email protected]