All India Institute of Medical Sciences [AIIMS] was established in the year 1956. The college was given the status of an autonomous institution through an Act of Parliament. The purpose of the college establishment was to serve the nation for excellence in all the sectors of healthcare. The college has facilities for both teaching and patient care.
AIIMS admission is done through the National level exams. All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi wants to bring together the educational facilities for the training of personnel in all the branches of healthcare. AIIMS courses include a variety of undergraduate degree in medicine, nursing and related areas, and postgraduate courses in clinical medical specialities and super specialities.
Know More about AIIMS Admissions
The college mainly conducts teaching programs in medical and para-medical courses at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. The college also awards its own degree. The college provides Teaching and research in 42 different disciplines. AIIMS leads the research section in the field of healthcare by having more than 600 research publications with its faculty and researchers in a year. The college also runs a Nursing college which trains students for B.Sc.[Hons.] [Nursing post-certificate] degrees.
Colleges affiliated by AIIMS are based on the Ranking. The college gets many grants from national and international agencies for research. AIIMS colleges offer modest research grants. The college wants to make world-class clinical care available to millions of underprivileged citizens of India and neighbouring countries. AIIMS has presently over 1500 main hospital, Dr Rajendra Prasad Centre for Ophthalmic Sciences, Cardiothoracic Centre, Neurosciences Centre, Institute Rotary Centre Hospital and De-addiction Centre. This facility is catering to about 1.5 million outpatients and 80,000 inpatients every year.
The AIIMS Hospital New Delhi has patient care whose role is not confined to their own hospital. AIIMS Delhi was the first one to start with the super specialities courses and trained many of neurologists, neurosurgeons, cardiac surgeons, paediatric surgeons and gastroenterologists and presently is offering DM courses in endocrinology and medical oncology.
AIIMS New Delhi has twenty-five clinical departments with four super speciality centres. These departments and Super speciality centres manage practically all types of disease conditions with support from pre- and Para-clinical departments. The college does not entertain cases such as burn cases, dog-bite cases and patients suffering from infectious diseases. AIIMS hospital has a 60 bed in the Comprehensive Rural Health Centre at Ballabgarh in Haryana which provides 2.5 lac people through the centre for Community Medicine.
AIIMS Quick Links:
The Highlights of the College like the founded year, approval, infrastructure facilities, address and programmes offered are mentioned below:
|Year of Establishment
||Prof Randeep Guleria
||Auditorium, Hostel, Labs, Canteen, Sports, Transport, Library, etc.
||All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Ansari Nagar, New Delhi - 110029
||Undergraduate, Postgraduate, Superspeciality, Doctoral
AIIMS Speciality Centers:
AIIMS Hospital has speciality centres with qualified multi-disciplinary faculty and staff, below is the list of the speciality centres.
Cardio-Thoracic Sciences Centre:
- The centre was started in 1982.
- The Centre has 200 beds for cardiology and Cardiovascular Surgery with all the necessary facilities for all cardiovascular disorders.
- In 1986 the Centre became fully independent and functioned entirely from the new 7-floor building.
- The centre has different departments of Cardiology, Cardiac Anaesthesiology, Cardiac Pathology, Cardiac Radiology, Cardiothoracic & Vascular Surgery, Cardiac Biochemistry, ORBO & Stem Cell Facility, Hospital Administration [CNC], Nuclear Medicine, Blood Transfusion Services [BTS, CNC]
- There are eight rooms with the state-of-art technology to carry out all kinds of complex cardiothoracic and vascular procedures 24X7 throughout the year.
- The Neuroscience Centre consists of the departments such as Neurology, Neuroanaesthesiology and Critical Care, Neuro Pathology, Neuro Radiology, Neurosurgery, Neuro Biochemistry and Neuro-Psychology
DR. B.R.A. Institute Rotary Cancer Hospital:
- The centre was started in the year 1983 - 1984.
- The centre has 200 beds and a 7-floor building.
- The centre has audio diagnostic and radiotherapy machines along with state of art linear accelerator, brachytherapy, stereotactic radiotherapy and intensity-modulated radiotherapy.
- The centre has also initiated Radiofrequency ablation of liver cancer.
- In collaboration with dept. of CTVS, stem cell transplant programme has been extended to treat myocardial ischemia.
Centre for Dental Education & Research [CDER] :
- The centre has speciality divisions such as Orthodontics And Dentofacial Deformities, Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, Prosthodontics & Crown Bridge, Pedodontics & Preventive Dentistry, Conservative Dentistry & Endodontics, Anaesthesia, Oral Pathology, Oral Medicine & Radiology, Public Health Dentistry and Periodontology.
National Drug Dependence Treatment Centre :
- The centre was established in 1988 and is present in the premises of Ghaziabad, Delhi-NCR since April 2003.
- The centre was established for the treatment of drugs and substance abuse disorders in the country.
- It has a state of art model for de‐addiction treatments.
- It is situated in a 10-acre campus near CGO Complex at Ghaziabad, Delhi-NCR.
- It has 50 bedded treatment facilities with an expansion plan for the future.
- It also has well qualified multi-disciplinary faculty and staff
- The Centre has been involved in many activities such as Assessing magnitude of addiction problem in the country, providing clinical care to patients – outpatient, inpatient and community based -through daily OPD, specialty clinics, ward and community clinics in urban slums of Delhi, Health education& prevention of addictive disorders in the country and Establishment and development of laboratory services to detect drugs of abuse in body fluids and health damage.
- The centre treats about 4000 new patients and about 35000 old patients every year.
- The centre has recently contributed to Development of Models of Care, Collaborative research with National/International agencies, Oral Substitution Treatment (OST) using oral morphine, buprenorphine, buprenorphine & naloxone and methadone, Policy and Planning and Capacity Building.
- The other achievements of the centre are the PhD Programme in the area of Addiction Psychiatry started in 2010 and DM (Addiction Psychiatry) Programme started since the year 2015.
- Jai Prakash Narayan Apex Trauma Centre
- National Cancer Institute
- Dr R.P. Centre for Ophthalmic Sciences
- Centre for Integrative Medicine and Research.
All India Institute of Medical Sciences Departments:
AIIMS New Delhi has the following departments.
Anesthesiology, Pain Medicine and Critical Care:
- The department was established in 1956, with 2 operation theatres and one ICU.
- The department has Intensive Care Unit, The AB8 post anaesthesia recovery room, Pre-Anaesthesia Check-up, Pain Clinic, Research Society of Anaesthesiology and Allied Sciences
- The Department provides protocolled anaesthesia and ICU services to General Surgery, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, IVF, ENT, Orthopaedics, Urology, Paediatric Surgery, GI surgery, RP Centre of Ophthalmic theatres, CDER and JPNA Trauma centre. it also provides peripheral anaesthesia services to interventional radiology, MRI, CT scan, ECT, acute and chronic pain services, resuscitation and obstetric analgesia services.
- It was established in 1971 as a joint venture of IIT Delhi and AIIMS Delhi.
- The department provides applied engineering principles to address medical and biological problems.
- The department has collaborative projects with major hospitals and Institute of India.
- The department is found to use Powerful and sophisticated statistical techniques of planning and analysis of biological experiments and investigations and development of probabilistic models in epidemiology.
- The department also fulfils the need of all the Faculty, Scientific staff and students in the Institute in teaching and research
- The department works in the field of rheumatic fever and rheumatic heart disease including juvenile mitral stenosis, coronary artery disease including angioplasties, arrhythmias, cardiomyopathies and congenital heart diseases.
Endocrinology, Metabolism and Diabetes:
- The department started at AIIMS Hospital in 1986.
- The department has done the work in the field of Diabetes, thyroid, metabolic bone disease, pediatric and adolescent endocrinology.
Gastroenterology and Human Nutrition:
- The department provided state of the art services and also provided training to many physicians in specific areas like luminal Gastroenterology, liver diseases and Endoscopy.
- The department provides clinical facilities in the OPD, daycare centre and for indoor patients.
- The department does the research activities such as Thalassemia, Hemophilia, Thrombophilia, Aplastic anaemia, Leukemia and ITP.
- The department was established in 1988.
- The department has specialities of Clinical Biochemistry, Hematology and Clinical Microbiology with the facility of patients’ investigations, teaching and research in the respective areas.
- The department engages the faculties/students and research scholars by UG/PG teaching, tutorials, case discussions, journal clubs, interdisciplinary discussion and research in various areas related to investigative medicine. This department also arranges laboratory training to postgraduate students from the Department of Pathology and the Department of Biochemistry of AIIMS. It is also involved in the teaching of B.Sc. nursing students and training to PG/PhD scholars coming from various other institutions/universities.
- Nuclear Medicine
- Nursing Department
- Plastic Surgery
- Pulmonary Medicine and Sleep Disorders
- Reproductive Biology
- Transplant Immunology & Immunogenetics
- Centre for Community Medicine
- Dermatology & Venereology
- Emergency Medicine
- Forensic Medicine and Toxicology
- Geriatric Medicine
- Gastrointestinal Surgery
- Hospital Administration
- Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Imaging
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Paediatric Surgery
- Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
- Radio Diagnosis
- Research Section
- Surgical Disciplines
- Transfusion Medicine [Blood Bank]
AIIMS offers many courses in the field of medicine. Mentioned below are the courses and their specializations offered by the college.
- Accident and Emergency Medicine
- Community Medicine
- Microbiology, Dermatology
- Forensic Medicine
- Geriatric Medicine
- Nuclear Medicine
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Ophthalmology, Paediatrics
- Pathology, Pharmacology
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Laboratory Medicine
- Venereology and Leprology
- Nuclear Medicine Technology
- Paediatrics Nursing
- Psychiatric Nursing
- Perfusion Technology
- Neuroscience Nursing
- Oncology Nursing
- Critical Care Nursing
- Cardiovascular and Thoracic Nursing
- Cardiological / CTVS Nursing
- Nephrology Nursing
- Medical Pharmacology
- Medical Technology in Radiography
- General Surgery
- Cardiac Anaesthesiology
- Medical Oncology
- Neuro Anaesthesiology
- Pediatric Neurology
- Pulmonary Medicine and Sleep Disorders
- Clinical Haematology
- Clinical Pharmacology
- Dermatology and Venerology
- Endocrinology and Metabolism
- Emergency Medicine [Trauma Centre]
- Forensic Medicine [Trauma Centre]
- Gastroenterology & Hnu
- Medical Oncology
- Lab Medicine
- Neuro Anesthesiology
- Neuro-Surgery [Trauma Centre]
- Ocular Biochemistry
- Pediatrics Surgery
- Surgery [Trauma Centre]
- Cardiovascular And Thoracic Surgery
- Conservative Dentistry
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- P.B.B.Sc in Nursing
All India Institute of Medical Sciences Central Facility:
The Central Facilities of AIIMS, Delhi includes the following:
- B.B. Dikshit Library
- Central Animal Facility
- Central Workshop
- Electron Microscope Facility
- Medical Social & Welfare Services
- Organ Retrieval Banking Organisation
- Transport Facility
- Engineering Services
- BIO-MEDICAL WASTE MANAGEMENT
- Cadaver Training and Research Facility
- Computer Facility
- K.L. Wig CMET
- National Poisons Information Centre
- Telemedicine Facility
- Medical Social Welfare Unit
- Stem Cell Facility
- Central Sterile Services
AIIMS Awards and Honours:
The Awards and Honours are listed below:
- Dynamic CIO of health care of the year, 2016 was awarded to Dr Deepak Agrawal, Chairman Computerisation, AIIMS in the 5th Annual Healthcare Summit.
- Dr.Pradeep Sharma, Professor RP Centre AIIMS New Delhi received special accolades for his lecture at AAPOS Conference at Vancouver on 9th April.
- Skoch Smart Technology Awards 2015: Smart Technology projects decided by an independent Jury & Popular vote
- 2015 Ramon Magsaysay Awarded to Sh. Sanjiv Chaturvedi, Dy. Secretary, AIIMS, New Delhi
- AIIMS Excellence Award-2012-First Prize awarded to Dr D.N.Rao, Professor, Department of Biochemistry, AIIMS
- Sumit Isharwal and Shubham Gupta, AIIMS Students have been awarded
- Prof. N. R. Jagannathan, Head of the Department of NMR and MRI Facility, AIIMS was honoured
All India Institute of Medical Sciences Library:
AIIMS Delhi provides the following Library facilities:
- The Library provides services such as Library Membership, Xerox and printing services, Interlibrary Loan Service, AIIMS Institutional Repository.
- The library has a reading room which remains open 24 x 7 to all AIIMS faculty, Residents, students and staff members for reading and consultation.
- The E-Library of the college has E-Reading Hall, Online Public Access Catalogue, E-Resources, Database AccessRemote Access and Plagiarism.
AIIMS Digital Facility:
AIIMS Delhi is digitalized to fulfil the needs of today's changing medical services. The facilities provided by AIIMS Digital are:
- AIIMS Video Consults
- Online Appointment System
- Internal Navigation at AIIMS
- Integrated PACS Deployment at AIIMS
- White Paper on Appointment System
- AIIMS Appointment App
- Mera Aspatal
- White paper on payment services at AIIMS
- Patient Display System
AIIMS NGO Association:
AIIMS Delhi is associated with many NGOs for a social cause. The names of the associated NGOs are:
- HelpAge India
- Sahu Jain Trust
- Rajendra Bhawan Trust
- Dr.Chetan Memorial Diving Trust
- Jawahar Bhawan Trust
- Baij Nath Bhandari Public Charitable Trust
- Sewa Prakalp Mahila Mandal Trust
- Vijay Gujral Foundation
- Mrs Dwarka Prasad Trust
- Gopal Foundation
- Cancer Patient Aid Association
- Sureka Public Charity Trust
All India Institute of Medical Sciences FAQs:
How many MBBS seats are there in AIIMS Delhi?
- As per the AIIMS 2019 MBBS seat reservation policy, 107 seats which include 7 seats for foreign nationals are offered to the AIIMS New Delhi.
When was AIIMS Delhi established?
- It was established in the year 1956.
Who is the director of AIIMS Delhi?
- Randeep Guleria is the Director of AIIMS New Delhi
How to get into AIIMS Delhi?
- AIIMS entrance exam will be conducted for the admission of both undergraduate and postgraduate courses, the top-ranking students will get into AIIMS.
How to contact AIIMS Delhi?
- You can contact AIIMS Delhi Customer Support at Phone Number +91-11-26588500 / 26588700.
Other Trending Colleges in India: