Get admission into India's top Design Institutes, National Institute of Design with the help of NID DAT 2020. This is a national level exam to get admission into one of the 7 institutes across India that are Ahmedabad, Gandhinagar, Bengaluru, Vijayawada, Kurukshetra and Jorhat. Want to know more about the exam? Read the complete article to check all the details regarding Exam Dates, Eligibility Criteria, Exam Pattern, Admit Card, etc.
- August 14, 2020: The last date for the Seat Allotment for the B.Design is August 11, 2020
- August 4, 2020: The link for uploading documents and the seat allotment process for the NID DAT 2020 BDes courses will be made available today after 6:00 PM.
- July 24, 2020: The results for NID DAT 2020 Mains BDes/GDPD is announced. Click here to view the results.
- NID DAT 2020 Mains Exam for M.Des was conducted on July 06, 2020.
- NID DAT 2020 Mains Exam for B.Des was conducted on June 22, 2020.
- July 4, 2020: The admit card for the NID DAT MDes Mains 2020 examination, which is conducted as an Online Interaction session is released. Click here to download.
- NID B.Des Mains exam will be conducted as an online interaction for the year 2020. These online interactions will be conducted from June 22, 2020, onwards. The details about the date and timing will be provided on the candidate's admit card and the candidate will also be provided with all the necessary details through email.
- Due to the ongoing situation due to COVID-19 and the national lockdown in effect by the central government, the M.Des DAT Mains Studio Tests and Interviews will be conducted only in the post-COVID-19 scenario.
- NID B.Des 2020 Prelims exam results have been announced. Candidates can check their results here.
- What is NID DAT?
- NID DAT 2020 Exam Date
- NID DAT 2020 Notification
- NID 2020 (DAT) Eligibility
- NID 2020 Prelims Paper Analysis
- NID 2020 Syllabus
- NID 2020 Exam Pattern
- NID 2020 Application Form
- How to Prepare for NID DAT?
- NID 2020 Admit Card
- NID 2020 Exam Centres
- NID 2020 Result
- NID DAT Cut off Marks
- NID Counselling
- Contact Details
What is NID DAT?
NID Design Aptitude Test (NID DAT 2020) is a National Level Entrance Examination conducted by Nation Institute of Design for admission in various UG and PG Programs. NID DAT is conducted by National Institute of Design.
NID is an autonomous institute under the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion, Ministry of Commerce and Industry and even recognized by the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research under the Ministry of Science and Technology by Government of India.
|Exam Name||NIT Design Aptitude Test|
|Acronym||NID DAT / NID Entrance Exam|
|Conducting Authority||National Institute of Design|
|Courses Offered||B.Des, M.Des, and GDPD Courses|
|Mode||Pen and Paper Based|
|Stages||Stage 1: DAT Prelims
Stage 2: DAT Mains
|Maximum Marks||100 marks|
|Exam Duration||180 Minutes|
On successful entrance exam application, NIT DAT 2020 offers admission in Undergraduate, Postgraduate, and Diploma courses such as B.Des, M.Des and GDPD. It has been designed as one of the hardest exams in India.
National Institute of Design has three campuses around India with Ahmedabad being the main campus, PG campus is in Gandhinagar and R&D campus in Bangalore. NID DAT is conducted at National Level in 21 centres across India. NID DAT 2020 will be conducted as Paper and Pen-Based i.e. Offline and will be a duration of 3 hours i.e. 180 minutes.
NID 2020 (DAT) Exam Date
NID has released the complete schedule for both the mains and prelims exam on the official web portal. Make sure to take note of all the dates so that you wouldn't miss out on any of the important events.
NID entrance exam Application Form is available on the official website from October 1, 2019 and the last date to submit the Application Form is November 18, 2019. Admit Card for NID Exam will be released on the official website from April 14, 2020. NID 2020 for B.Des. will be conducted through offline mode on April 29, 2020. The exam for M.Des will be conducted on June 22, 2020. Results will be announced on the official website on May 28, 2020.
The list of NID 2020 Important Dates for both the B.Des Prelims and Mains are given in the table below:
|Application Form Start Date||October 1, 2019|
|Last Date to Apply without Late Fee||November 18, 2019|
|Last date to apply with late fee||November 21, 2019|
|Application Form Correction Window||November 21 to 23, 2019|
|NID 2020 Prelims Admit Card Release Date||December 20, 2019|
|NID 2020 Prelims Exam||December 29, 2019|
|NID 2020 Prelims Results||May 3, 2020|
|NID 2020 Mains Admit Card Release Date||April 14, 2020|
|NID 2020 Mains Exam||June 22, 2020|
|NID 2020 Mains Results||To be announced|
|Counselling Start Date||June 5, 2020|
NID 2020 Notification
The National Institute of Design releases the official notification on their official website. The application process will start from October 1, 2019 and will end on November 18, 2019. The NID 2020 Notification for the application process was released on the website along with the NID 2020 exam date. All the associated events and its dates are mentioned in the Notification and candidates are required to regularly check for notifications and check this page for further updates.
NID 2020 Eligibility Criteria
NID has set up some criteria for taking the exam. Make sure that you clear the eligibility criteria before applying for the exam. NID 2020 Eligibility Criteria for the Bachelor and Master programs is given below:
Bachelor of Design/GDPD
Age Limit: Indian/Foreign candidates applying for the B.Des course must not be more than 20 years of age as of the date of admission (only those candidates who are born on or after July 1, 2000, are eligible to apply)
For SC/ST/OBC-NCL, a candidate should be born after July 1, 1997, to be eligible for NID exam. PwD candidates born after July 1, 1995, are also eligible.
Educational Qualification: The candidate should either have completed or is appearing for the final examination of 10+2 in 2019-20 or equivalent from a recognized board (SSC/ICSE/CBSE)
Masters of Design (M.Des)
For Indian (Gen & Gen-EWS) and Foreign Nationals, candidates who are born after July 1, 1990, are eligible to apply for admission into NID. For Indian Nationals belonging to reserved categories like SC/ST/OBC-NCL, candidates born after July 1, 1987, are eligible to apply. Candidates belonging to PwD reserved category can apply for NID Exam only if they are not born before July 1, 1985.
Aspirants satisfying the following criteria are eligible
Candidates should possess a Graduation degree of 4 years in any specialization after 10+2 standard or equivalent from any recognized University of India. Candidates should have passed the Degree by May/June 2020 for the process of document verification. OR
Candidates holding a Bachelor Degree of a minimum of 3 years in any specialization after 12th standard or equivalent to that. The only condition is that a candidate must have passed the examination before June 2020. OR
A candidate with a Full-time Diploma of 4 years in Architecture/Fine Arts/Applied Arts/Design after 12th standard. A candidate should be able to pass the Diploma before May/June 2020.
Applying candidate should be a citizen of India who should hold one of the following qualifications:
- A Master's level qualification in Design. OR
- A bachelor's level qualification in Design from NID with 3 years of professional or teaching experience. OR
- A Master's Degree in Philosophy (e.g. M.Phil) in Design. OR
- Successful completion of the Faculty Development Program of NID or a similar Design program of 2 years from any other recognized University/Institute.
Note: Any candidate who has not passed their final board exam or equivalent before the in-person counselling, will not be eligible for admission.
NID 2020 Syllabus
Candidates should go through the whole syllabus so that they wouldn't miss out on any of the topics in the exam. The NID 2020 Syllabus is divided into three major parts or sections, with respect to the exam pattern. The Syllabus for the NID 2020 is distinctive for each exam type and the details for the same are provided below.
- Prelims Syllabus: The syllabus includes some of the topics like Design Theory, Optical Illusion, Picture Analysis, Visual Logic, Elements & Principles of Design, Memory Drawing, etc.
- Mains Syllabus: The syllabus includes topics like Model Making, Material Manipulation, Doodling, Creative Thinking, etc.
- Fixed Syllabus: There is now a fixed NID 2020 Syllabus outlined by the NID.
The following list of contents depicts the Syllabus for the NID 2020.
Exam Syllabus for NID DAT:
- Outline for Beginners
- Optical Illusion
- Drawing Fundamentals
- Exercises on Imagination
- Colour Terminology
- Understanding Light & Shade
- Use of Measurements, Scale & Proportions
- Lateral Thinking
- Inspiration & Design Development
- Colour Psychology & Optical Illusions
- Foreshortening & Perspective
- Story Pictures
- Mood, Theme & Colour interrelationship
- Form & Function
- Developing Themes
- Presentation Techniques
- Design Theory
- Colour, Pattern & Texture
- Developing Colour Associations
- Imagination & Doodling
- Elements & Principles of Design
- Theme Development
- Inspiration and Creativity
- 3D Visualization
- Natural & Geometrical Form
- Creative Thinking & Writing
- Ornaments and Motifs
- Graphics & Pictograms
- Innovation in Design
- Picture Analysis
- Memory Drawing
- Innovation & Creation
- Principles of Composition
- Visual Logic
- Use of Colour in Compositions
- Design Awareness
- Good Design vs. Bad Design
- Expression & Emotion
- Developing Observation
Studio Test Syllabus: People who are selected in the prelims and mains of NID DAT will have to take the Studio Test. It is mandatory for the Candidates to clear and get selected in the prelims part in order to take up the Studio Test. The syllabus for the Studio Test is given below:
- Model Making
- How to evolve ideas
- Audio-Visual Exercises
- Material Manipulation
- Creative Thinking
- Hands-on Model Making
NID 2020 Exam Pattern
Candidates should have an understanding of NID 2020 exam pattern to do well in the exam. The exam assesses the candidate's designing skill, creativity, reasoning ability, and problem-solving skills. Candidates will get an overview of the type of questions and the distribution of the questions in the examination by the help of the Exam Pattern. It is very essential that the candidates go through the below-mentioned details on the Exam Pattern.
B.Des Exam Pattern
Number of Stages: NID DAT 2020 will be conducted in two stages by the authority
- Stage 1: NID DAT (Prelims) - Pen & Paper-Based Written Test
- Stage 2: NID DAT (Mains) - Studio Test
Prelims exam will be of 100 marks and will be of 3 hours duration. This test might involve visuals and text both. The medium of examination will be English. This exam will be a Pen and Paper-based test.
Those who qualify in the Prelims round will be allowed to attend the mains round. NID DAT Mains exam will be conducted over a span of three days. Paper is for a total of 100 marks. This exam will be conducted in a Studio-setup. It will also be in the English language.
M.Des Exam Pattern
Candidates appearing for NID Exam for M.Des course have to go through 2 stages of the exam as depicted below:
- Stage-I: DAT Prelims
- Stage-II: DAT Mains
DAT Prelims Test will consist of CDAT (Common Design Aptitude Test) and a discipline-specific test. Time allotted for DAT Prelims will be 2.5 hours (30 mins for CDAT +2 hours of the discipline-specific test) in total. For candidates who are applying for 2 disciplines, they will have to attempt 2 discipline-specific tests along with CDAT. For them, the total exam duration would be 4.5 hours.
On the basis of DAT Prelims, the candidates will be shortlisted for DAT Mains. The candidates will be eligible for the DAT Mains after the shortlisting process in the DAT Prelims. DAT Mains exam will also consist of 2 stages:
- Stage-I: Studio Test
- Stage-II: Interview
Studio Test might have some tests with different formats. Total marks will be 100 and the duration will be of 3 hours. Medium, of the exam, will be in English. It will be followed by interviews for each discipline. Interviews will be taken in the same exam centres as the studio tests.
PhD Selection Stages
- Stage-I: Shortlisting of Candidates
- Stage-II: Design Research Test (DRT)
- Stage-III: Interview
Stage-I will be shortlisting of candidates. In this round, the research proposals of the candidates will be evaluated and will be examined to be in alignment with NID's research objective. Shortlisted candidates only, will be going to the next rounds. In the next stage, DRT will be conducted. It will be held in Ahmedabad. After this round, qualifying candidates will be having the interviews in front of the NID committee.
Note: NID will not be providing any travel/accommodation to the candidates appearing for Mains exam. It will have to be arranged by the candidate only.
Weightages of DAT Prelims and Mains exam varies for different courses. For the final selection, the total marks of the candidate obtained in the Prelims and Mains exam will be converted into a percentage. For different courses, the weightages are as follows:
For B.Des & GDPD
Weightage for B.Des & GDPD program is as follows:
|NID Prelims||NID Mains||Total|
Weightage for M.Des course is given below:
|NID Prelims||NID Mains||Total|
For PhD Course
Weightage for the PhD course is given as follows:
|Weightage of DRT||Weightage of Interview/Research Proposal||Total|
NID 2020 Application Form
Candidates who want to take the exam can register for the exam from the official web portal. Try and register for the exam before the final date application form submission without the late fee. It would be advised for the candidates to read the instructions clearly and make sure that they meet the required criteria before filling up the form, and also produce necessary documents for the same.
NID 2020 Application Form will be available on the official website of the design school from October 1, 2019 till November 18, 2019.
How to Register for NID DAT?
Follow the steps given below to register for the NID DAT 2020:
- Step 1: Visit the official web portal of NID and register on the website by entering a valid email ID, mobile number, date of birth etc. After the registration process, the login credentials will be sent to your registered email address.
- Step 2: Now, using the user ID and password login into your account and click on 'DAT Application Form'
- Step 3: Fill in the application form with all the necessary details in their corresponding sections. Click 'Save & Proceed'.
- Step 4: Now, click on 'Upload Document'. Upload the documents such as the photograph, signature and caste certificate (only if applicable) according to the prescribed specifications. Then click 'Save & Proceed'.
- Step 5: Pay the applicable application fee through the means provided and then finally click on 'Submit'.
Application Fee: The application fee for taking the exam is different for different category students. The category and course wise application fee are given in the table below:
For B.Des & GDPD
|General and Gen-EWS||INR 2000/-|
|Overseas (only for B.Des)||INR 3000/-|
|Category||For 1 Discipline||For 2 Disciplines|
|General||INR 2000/-||INR 4,000/-|
|General-EWS||INR 2000/-||INR 4,000/-|
|OBC-NCL||INR 2000/-||INR 4,000/-|
|SC||INR 1000/-||INR 2,000/-|
|ST||INR 1000/-||INR 2,000/-|
|Gen-PwD||INR 1000/-||INR 2,000/-|
|Gen-PwD-EWS||INR 1000/-||INR 2,000/-|
|OBC-NCL-PwD||INR 1000/-||INR 2,000/-|
|SC-PwD||INR 1000/-||INR 2,000/-|
|ST-PwD||INR 1000/-||INR 2,000/-|
|Overseas||INR 3,000/-||INR 6,000/-|
For PhD. Program
NID Exam Fee can be paid through Online mode (Credit Card/Debit Card) or through Offline mode (via Demand Draft only).
Note: Application fees paid online (by Debit/ Credit Card) doesn't include any bank/ transaction charges, the Application fee is neither refundable nor transferable.
How to prepare for NID 2020?
Preparing for any entrance exam can be a very big burden, but it just depends upon the way you look at it and how you are approaching it. If you have enough strong determination any exam will be easier to crack. So the first thing you should be doing is setting up a goal to crack the exam (NID DAT Exam in this case). When I mean setting your goal it means that you should be ready to face all of the difficulties coming your way and be persistent enough to not give up halfway through.
Now, if you have mastered the required determination to face the exam, you need to find the different ways to approach the exam that are suitable for you. Given below are some of the tips that you can follow.
Create a Preparation Timetable
If you are preparing for any exam you need discipline and proper structure. The only way you can do that is by creating a proper timetable that you can follow for the whole of the preparation period. The important thing to remember while preparing a good preparation schedule is that it should contain an abundant time for all of the topics in the syllabus along with time for solving various sample test papers. Also, make sure to give enough and meaningful breaks in between study sessions. These will help you to refresh and reinvigorate your interest in preparation. Try to avoid any outside distractions and concentrate solely on the preparation for the exam.
The main problem that candidates face while writing an exam is the insufficiency of time to go through the whole paper. This is because of improper time management. In NAD DAT you need to answer 100 questions from various sections (depending upon the selected course). So, during the stages of preparation, find out which sections are easier for you to answer and which sections take more time for you to solve. This way you could answer the easier sections at the beginning and transfer the extra time onto the tougher sections.
Also, make sure that when you are answering the sections accurate enough so that you wouldn't be looking back at them in doubt, which will only be more time-consuming. Thus, this speed and accuracy can only be developed with the help of extensive practising of NID DAT questions from various sources.
Evaluate and Improve Yourself
Evaluating yourself during preparation is a crucial process of strengthening your knowledge. It is the only way to know how much you have prepared for the exam and how much is still there to be prepared. You need to find as many practice questions, sample papers and mock tests as you can and start incorporating them in your preparation timetable and start testing yourself. Then according to your result, you can change your preparation schedule to improve the areas you are struggling with.
NID 2020 Admit Card
The admit card is the most important document that a candidate should have with himself when taking the exam. Without the admit card the candidate will not be allowed to take the exam. NID DAT Prelims Admit Card can be obtained online on the official website from December 20, 2020. NID DAT 2020 Mains Admit Card will get released on April 14, 2020.
Candidates are required to provide details like Registered Email ID, Date of Birth and Roll Number/ Application Form Number to download the Admit Card. Candidates who have registered for the exam must carry their NID 2020 Admit Card to Exam Centre to avoid any kind of discrepancy. The list of details present on the admit card is given below:
- Candidate's Name
- Parent's Name
- Roll Number
- Category of the candidate
- Course applied for
- Time of the exam
- Exam Duration
- Test Centre Address
- Candidate's Photograph and Signature
- Instructions regarding the exam
How to download the NID 2020 Admit Card
The stepwise procedure for downloading the NID 2020 Admit Card is given below.
- Visit the official website of the NID
- Click on the NID entrance examination tab
- Select the Admit Card section
- Enter the login credentials post being redirected
- View and download the admit card
- Print the Admit Card
NID 2020 Exam Centres
NID DAT Prelims 2020 will be conducted in 21 centres spread across India. A candidate is not allowed to make any changes in the allotted exam centre. Candidates will be able to select the exam centres at the time of filling the application form. A candidate will be given the opportunity to select the preferences for the exam centres. Hence, they should choose them wisely according to their convenience.
NID DAT Mains Exam will be conducted on various campuses of NIDs e.g. Ahmedabad, Gandhinagar, Bengaluru and more. The detailed information about the exact venue of the allotted centres will be given in the admit card.
The exam will be conducted in 2 stages – DAT Preliminary and DAT Mains. Candidates will be allotted Exam Centres for each stage. Check the list of NID 2020 Exam Centres.
NID 2020 (DAT) Prelims Paper Analysis
It is very important for the candidates to go through the NID 2020 Prelims Paper Analysis in order to prepare and estimate the score that he/she will be getting. Going through the paper analysis will help the candidates to strategize and accordingly plan their preparation and the ways by which they would attend the exam. The detailed elaboration of the Paper Analysis, with respect to the course, is given below. Candidates can check-in with this page regularly for further updates and information.
NID DAT 2020 Entrance Exam Analysis for B.Des Course
Usually, the NID DAT Prelims exam consists of objective-type questions (70 marks) and subjective or drawing-based questions for 30 marks. But this time, NID DAT Prelims paper had subjective-type questions worth 70 marks and the drawing-based questions worth 30 marks. The change in the exam pattern was unexpected. Although, the paper was of medium difficulty. Aptitude section was easy to comprehend by the students.
Topics covered in Subjective-type questions are given below:
- Picture Perception Test: Candidates were asked to draw what they saw in a given surrounding.
- Picture Profiling: Candidates were asked to draw front, top, side views of a particular object.
- Delivering a Social Message: The question asked wanted the student to deliver a message through their drawing. The message was given to the students and they just had to draw.
- Drawing by copying: Students were told to copy the object kept in front of them and draw it exactly as it is.
NID 2020 Entrance Exam Analysis for M.Des Course
Aptitude section of NID DAT Prelims Exam for M.Des carried 25 marks and descriptive & drawing-based questions carried 75 marks. The exam had 12 theory questions and to attempt that, a time of 30 minutes was given. In general, students were saying that the prelims exam for NID DAT M.Des was a little bit strange but also challenging.
Topics asked in this section would be as follows:
- Product Design: Candidates had to design a product which fits the description as given as in the question.
- Problem Identifying and Depicting Solution: Candidates were given a hypothetical/real situation for which they will have to find the remedies and picture them.
- Drawing for Current Affairs: Candidates were be asked to describe an activity in the recent past.
NID 2020 Result
NID DAT 2020 Result declaration for the prelims exam has been postponed. Candidates will be informed about the next result date on their email ID's or mobile numbers.
A separate merit lists shall be prepared for each category (OPEN, OBC-NCL, SC, ST & PWD). Based on this merit list the candidates will be allowed to the admission process.
In case there is a situation where two candidates scored the same total score from both the exams, then the higher rank will be assigned to the candidate who has obtained higher marks in Part B of the Design Aptitude Test - Prelims.
How to Download NID DAT Results?
Follow the steps given below to download the NID DAT 2020 Results:
- Step 1: Visit the official web portal of the web portal of NID.
- Step 2: Click on the link for NID DAT 2020 Result.
- Step 3: Enter the registered email address, date of birth and the verification code that is shown on screen and then click on submit.
- Step 4: Your result will be displayed on the screen.
- Step 5: Download the result and take a printout for future references.
NID 2020 Cut off Marks
The cut off is the least amount of score that a candidate needs to clear a stage in the NID DAT 2020. The expected cutoff for NID DAT 2020 is given below:
NID 2020 Counselling
The counselling process for NID will be done in two steps. They are giving the online consent by the qualified candidates and then uploading the necessary documents for the purpose of verification.
- Counselling Date: NID DAT 2020 Counselling will commence from June 5, 2020 after declaring the result and final merit list.
- Allotment of Seats: After the original document verification process, the candidates who have shortlisted in the rank list will be allotted with a seat. After payment of fees, the enrolment in the program will be confirmed.
- Failed to be Present: Failing to report with the requisite documents as per the schedule will lead to forfeiting the candidate’s seat and their seat will be allotted to the next eligible candidate in order of merit.
- Uploading Documents: Candidates need to upload some documents after getting selected for the counselling process. The documents are:
- 10th Marksheet
- 12th Marksheet
- Birth Certificate
- Degree (Graduation/ Diploma) Marksheet
NID 2020 Tie Break Policy for M.Des
The NID has stated certain amendments in its Tie Break Policy for the M.Des counselling and admissions. The scores of all candidates will be shortlisted on the basis of ranks in different categories. Candidates will be shortlisted on the basis of their caste categories separately. Other categories like Pwd and Candidates from overseas countries will be separately shortlisted.
The ranking and shortlisting aspects are mentioned below.
- Candidates will hold a higher rank by comparing the scores in the NID 2020 Mains Exam
- Candidates who are still pertaining to the same rank will be further ranked on the basis of NID 2020 Prelims Exam.
- The third aspect by which the candidates will be ranked higher than the others would be by comparing all the parts of the Prelims test and finally by comparing the scores of the Aptitude Test of the candidates.
NID 2020 Contact Details
In case of any discrepancies arising at any stage of the exam make sure to contact the conducting authorities. The contact information for the exam authorities is given below:
Address: NID Admissions Cell, National Institute of Design Paldi, Ahmedabad 380 007.
Email Id: [email protected]