Study in Canada
Explore Top Universities and Colleges in Canada.
Get Updates on Tuition, Courses Offered, Duration and more.
Have Plans to Study in Canada? Choose the best university or college in Canada. Get all university details, courses offered, fees & admission details of various universities and colleges in Canada. Select the right course with multiple career opportunities & the entrance exams for studying in Canada. Get free counselling from experts.
The value of undergraduate courses has been declining as the years progresses. This has lead to students seeking higher studies in foreign countries like the US, UK, Ireland, Canada, etc. Let’s see what perks studying in Canada has over other countries.
Why Choose Canada for Higher Studies?
One of the primary reasons to choose Canada for Higher Studies is the value of the degree that is offered to the students. The degrees obtained from Canadian Universities hold the same or equivalent degree value as the ones offered in the US. Sounds interesting, doesn’t it?
Canada has been the education hotspot for many students due to the benefits offered by the country for international students. Students have evolved to such a level that they want more exposure at an affordable cost and with proper returns. Keeping these things in mind pursuing higher studies in Canada has its upside and downside too.
The tuition fees and cost of living is affordable compared to most of the top tier countries and equivalent level of degree is obtained.
Students have the option to opt for permanent residency. As per the report obtained in 2017, around 4,95,000 international students were pursuing their higher education in Canada. So you can be one among them and avail of these privileges offered by the Canadian Universities to Indian students.
The majority of the students are from India, Iran, Vietnam, etc. The crime rates and cost of living are low. Security and stability are on the safer side for international students wanting to pursue their higher studies in Canada.
Students can also opt for part-time work after or before the university timings. Work opportunities are provided after the college studies for students willing to continue their professional life in the country.
Top Colleges and Universities in Canada
Vancouver, British Columbia
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I work while studying in Canada
Yes, you may be eligible for working in Canada while studying, but only if your study permit includes a condition that says you can work on or off-campus. You can't work before your studies begin. One can only work in Canada while studying.
Can I work while studying in Canada?
Yes, you may be eligible for working in Canada while studying, but only if your study permit includes a condition that says you can work on or off-campus. You can't work before your studies begin. One can only work in Canada while studying.
Which Canadian institutions accept English language tests?
The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is the most commonly preferred English language proficiency test accepted by many institutions in Canada. However, institutions in Canada are open to receiving other proficiency tests as well.
How much does it cost to study in Canada?
Studying in Canada is much cheaper as compared to the USA and the UK. The rough estimate, including tuition and living cost, is CAD 25000 per year.
Is there any Interview for the Canada Study Visa?
Generally, there are no interviews required for study permits. An interview may only be required if decided by the visa officers.
What are the top universities in Canada?
There are many popular universities in Canada. Some of the top universities are :
- University of Toronto
- University of British Columbia
- McGill University
- McMaster University
- University of Alberta
Here are some articles listed that help you understand the benefits of studying in Canada. These articles guide students in choosing the best universities, entrance exams, scholarships & financial aids, etc. Explore for more related articles!
Canada is considered to be the study abroad hub for international students in recent years. The education offered in Canada is much more affordable as compared to other countries such as the UK and the US. The cost of living in Canada is also less as compared to other countries. The tuition fees at some of the Top Colleges in Canada is very nominal for both domestic and international students. The educational degree offered in the cheapest college for international students in Canada is of global reputation and students have an option to pursue studies in English or French. International students from all over the world prefer to study in Canada due to its high-quality education and standard of living in addition to its diverse and multicultural student population.
The cost of higher studies in Canada depends on the type of program and the Canadian university chosen by the student. The average tuition fees for an undergraduate degree in Canada study costs between $7,203 to $49,800 per year and a masters degree ranges between $3,222 to $42,850 per academic year. The tuition costs are in addition to the cost of attending the Canadian university/ college. The living expenses include the cost of accommodation, dining, transportation, incidental charges, and other additional expenses. The courses in arts, psychology, humanities, etc are some of the cheapest courses in Canada for international students in comparison to courses in medicine, health sciences, engineering, etc.
International students who wish to pursue their higher studies in Canada can check out the cheapest college in Canada for international students. The cheapest university in Canada for international students has low tuition fees in addition to a low cost of attendance. The cost of attendance depends on the location of the university and also the standard of living of the students in addition to the tuition fees. Some of the cheapest colleges in Canada for international students with low tuition fees along with the details about the cost of attendance, scholarships, etc are discussed.
Why Study at the Cheapest Colleges in Canada?
Canada is one of the top countries in the world providing quality education to both domestic and international students at undergraduate and graduate levels. Canada is known for its affordable education for international students as compared to other English speaking countries such as the UK and the USA. It is globally renowned for its academic excellence and ethnically diverse student community consisting of students from over 200 countries around the world. Top Canadian universities offer undergraduate and graduate courses in different areas of study such as engineering, medicine, management, neuroscience, etc. Listed below are a few reasons for international students to choose some of the cheapest colleges in Canada for their higher education:
- Canada is home to 5 lakh+ international students from over 200 countries in the world belonging to different cultures and ethnicities.
- The courses and programs offered at Canadian universities are internationally recognized and help international students to excel in any field of study.
- Canada is one of the safest countries in the world that leads to a safe and secure environment for international students to learn and live in.
- Canada has the lowest tuition costs amongst English speaking countries and provides the most affordable higher education to both domestic and international students.
- Canada houses some of the top universities in the world offering bachelor's and masters degree programs in various disciplines such as journalism, engineering, medicine, etc.
- International students have an option to work part-time for up to 20 hours per week for the duration of their course. Students can choose to work on-campus or off-campus for gaining financial sustainability to be able to live and study in Canada.
Top Cheapest University in Canada for International Students
Canada is home to some of the best universities and colleges offering the cheapest course in Canada for international students. Short courses in Canada are one of the cheapest courses in Canada for international students as compared to undergraduate and graduate degree programs. International students can also pursue a PG Diploma in Canada in various fields of study that is an affordable option in comparison to a postgraduate degree course. Courses in arts, humanities, sociology, etc are some of the cheapest courses to study in Canada for international students. The cheapest schools for international students in Canada have a low tuition fee in addition to the low cost of living. Listed below are some of the cheapest university in Canada for international students at both undergraduate and graduate levels:
- Brandon University
- Universite de Saint-Boniface
- University of Guelph
- Canadian Mennonite University
- Memorial University of Newfoundland
- University of Northern British Columbia
- Simon Fraser University
- University of Calgary
- University of Saskatchewan
- University of Regina
Cheapest Colleges in Canada for Bachelors Degree
The cheapest university in Canada for international students charges low tuition fees in addition to having a low cost of attendance. The top universities in Canada offer undergraduate degree courses in various disciplines such as engineering, medicine, nursing, etc. Listed below are some of the universities offering the cheapest bachelor degree in Canada for international students along with their tuition fees:
|Name of the College/ University||Average Tuition Fees|
|Université de Saint-Boniface||$7,482|
|University of Guelph||$9,730|
|Canadian Mennonite University||$10,003|
|Memorial University of Newfoundland||$11,460|
Cheapest Colleges in Canada for Masters Degree
The cheapest college for international students in Canada offers quality masters level education that is comparable to the education offered at some of the best universities in Canada. The masters degree courses in Canada are research-based and provide the students with wide exposure through co-op placements and internships. Given below are some of the Canadian universities offering the cheapest masters degree in Canada for international students:
|Name of the College/ University||Average Tuition Fees|
|Memorial University of Newfoundland||$3,222|
|University of Northern British Columbia||$3,297|
|University of Calgary||$3,693|
|Simon Fraser University||$3,743|
|University of Saskatchewan||$4,358|
Cost of Attendance at the Cheapest College for International Students in Canada
International students should bear the living costs in Canada in addition to the tuition fees at the respective universities. Students can pursue studies in Canadian universities charging the cheapest tuition fees in Canada for international students. The cost of living in Canada is much more affordable than in other countries such as the UK and the US. The cost of attending a Canadian university depends on the location of the university and also the standard of living of the candidate. International students require an additional $10,000 over the basic tuition costs to be able to live and study in Canada. The living costs are minimal at some of the cheapest schools for international students in Canada due to various factors such as the location of the university, type of course/ program, etc. Given below is the estimated cost of attending the cheapest college for international students in Canada:
|Particulars||Cost (in Canadian Dollars)|
|Accommodation||$4000- $8000 per year|
|Food and Dining||$1500- $3000 per year|
|Transportation||$80- $110 per month|
|Books and Supplies||$1000- $2000 per year|
|Clothing and other expenses||$1000- $2000 per year|
|Basic Utilities and Internet Charges||$220 per month|
Scholarships in Canada for International Students
The tuition fees and living expenses are nominal at the cheapest college for international students in Canada. However, few students may need financial assistance for pursuing their higher education in Canada. Both need-based and merit-based scholarships are offered to international students from the Canadian government and the respective Canadian universities. The Canadian government and private organizations offer scholarships to students at the undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral levels. The scholarships in Canada cover tuition fees in addition to other expenses such as accommodation costs, travel charges, health insurance, and many more. Given below are some of the popular scholarship options for international students willing to pursue studies at some of the cheap public universities in Canada:
- University of Toronto Ontario Graduate Scholarship
- University of Alberta International Scholarships
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
- University of Waterloo Master’s Awards of Excellence
- University of British Columbia Scholarships for International Students
- Carleton Prestige Scholarships
- University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowships
- Canada Graduate Scholarships - Master’s Program
- NSERC Postgraduate Scholarship
- Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Doctoral Scholarships
Canada is an emerging higher education destination for international students from all over the world. International students in Canada prefer to pursue their undergraduate and graduate degree courses in Canada, mainly due to its affordability compared to other top countries such as the UK and the US. However, certain international students may require an undergraduate scholarship in Canada to pursue their bachelor's degree course in the top Canadian universities. Academically outstanding international students can apply for undergraduate scholarships in Canada by fulfilling all the eligibility requirements of the respective scholarship.
International students pursuing various programs and courses in Canada require financial assistance to cover their tuition fees and other expenses. Several scholarships, fellowships, awards, bursaries, and grants are available for international students in Canada. Students pursuing bachelor's degree programs can avail of an undergraduate scholarship in Canada. Some of the undergraduate scholarships for Indian students in Canada cover the insurance cost, incidental expenses, and flight charges in addition to the tuition costs.
One of the main concerns for international students is the cost of attending Canadian universities. The cost of attendance depends on various factors such as the type and duration of the course, location of the university, type of accommodation, etc. Several studies abroad in Canada scholarships are available for international students and are offered based on academic merit. The scholarships for undergraduate students in Canada can be both fully-funded and partially-funded. The Canadian government provides study abroad in Canada scholarships, non-governmental organizations, or the college/ university where students are pursuing their studies in Canada.
Various undergraduate scholarships for international students in Canada and the eligibility criteria, amount, and duration, are discussed.
Best Undergraduate Scholarships for Indian Students in Canada
Several undergraduate scholarships for Indian students in Canada are provided by the Canadian government and respective Canadian universities. The fully-funded undergraduate scholarships in Canada cover tuition, books, incidental expenses, and accommodation charges for the specified duration. Both need-based and merit-based scholarships are available for international students in Canada. International students can apply for these scholarships by fulfilling all the eligibility requirements. The basic eligibility criterium for most of these undergraduate scholarships in Canada is a good academic score. Some other factors also include the subject and level of the course. Given below are some of the best undergraduate scholarships for Indian students in Canada, along with their details:
- University of Alberta - India First Year Excellence Scholarships
- University of British Columbia Scholarships for International Students
- Carleton Prestige Scholarships
- University of Calgary International Entrance Scholarships
- Humber College - International Entrance Scholarships
- Lester B. Pearson International Scholarships
- York University International Student Scholarship Program
- Winnipeg President's Scholarships for World Leaders
- Fairleigh S. Dickinson Scholarship
- University of Waterloo International Student Entrance Scholarship
University of Alberta - India First Year Excellence Scholarships
These undergraduate scholarships for Indian students in Canada are awarded to students with exceptional academic achievement. The applicant should be enrolling in the first-year undergraduate degree program at the University of Alberta and are shortlisted for the University of Alberta undergraduate scholarships based on their final admission average. An amount of $5,000 is given to deserving students who have graduated from high school in India and have less than 24 IB, AP, or A-Level credits while getting enrolled in their undergraduate program at the University of Alberta.
University of British Columbia Scholarships for International Students
The University of British Columbia (UBC) provides more than $30 million annually in awards and undergraduate scholarships for international students in Canada. The International Major Entrance Scholarship (IMES) is awarded to academically exceptional international students entering UBC undergraduate programs. This undergraduate scholarship in Canada is renewable for up to 3 additional years of study. The number of scholarships awarded each year varies based on the available funding.
Carleton Prestige Scholarships
This undergraduate scholarship in Canada is awarded only to students entering Carleton University directly from high school or CEGEP. The applicants who have attended a post-secondary educational institution (either college or university) are not eligible for these scholarships. The students are required to have an admission average of 90% or more. Students are also selected based on their community or secondary school extra-curricular activities. The scholarship amount ranges between $5,000- $7,500 per year and is renewable with an annual GPA of 10.0.
University of Calgary International Entrance Scholarships
The University of Calgary undergraduate scholarships for international students in Canada are awarded by the University of Calgary/ Enrolment Services to international students at the undergraduate level. The scholarship amount is $15,000, and 2 awards are available every year. The application deadline for this Canada scholarship for undergraduate students is December 1st.
Humber College - International Entrance Scholarships
These study abroad in Canada scholarships are awarded to international students joining Humber College, Canada. The scholarship amount equates to $2,000 off student's tuition fees for their first year of studies. There are a total of 10 undergraduate scholarships available every year for international students with high academic qualifications.
Lester B. Pearson International Scholarships
These scholarships in Canada for undergraduate international students are provided by the University of Toronto to recognize international students with exceptional academic achievement and creativity. This undergraduate scholarship in Canada is one of the most prestigious and competitive scholarships of the University of Toronto. Nearly 37 scholarships are awarded annually. The scholarship covers tuition, books, incidental fees, and full residence support for four years for students enrolled at the University of Toronto.
York University International Student Scholarship Program
This scholarship program is an initiative of York University to provide scholarships to international students enrolled at the university. The entrance scholarships are awarded to students once they are admitted to York University. Few entrance scholarships are awarded automatically, and some others have to be applied for. The scholarship amount ranges between $1,000- $16,000 and is renewable annually for up to 3 years.
Winnipeg President's Scholarships for World Leaders
The University of Winnipeg awards around 53 entrance scholarships to international students from all over the world. The international students must have a minimum 80% admission average or equivalent and must be involved in activities that demonstrate leadership to avail of the scholarship. The value of this undergraduate scholarship in Canada is $5,000, and the application deadline is June 1 every year.
Fairleigh S. Dickinson Scholarship
The Fairleigh Dickinson scholarship is offered to incoming international students at the undergraduate level with high academic standards. The maximum scholarship amount is $32,000 per year. The application deadline for this scholarship is July 1, 2020.
University of Waterloo International Student Entrance Scholarship
This University of Waterloo undergraduate scholarships for international students are entrance scholarships valued at $10,000 each and awarded to academically outstanding undergraduate international students. Around 20 scholarships are awarded annually to students with an admission average of 90% or above. Academic performance and any other Faculty-specific entrance scholarship criteria are considered for selection.
Most Canadian universities offer scholarships to international students at both undergraduate and graduate levels. International students should apply for the undergraduate scholarship in Canada before the deadline to avail of the funding. However, meeting all the eligibility requirements does not guarantee a scholarship. International students are advised to apply for multiple scholarships based on eligibility to increase the chances of landing a scholarship option.
When you think of studying in any foreign country, language proficiency test scores are very important criteria for admission. TOEFL and IELTS or International English Language Testing System which are popular to take admission into Canadian universities. If you have not cleared the IELTS exam, there are many alternatives for international students to take admission in Canadian universities. There are several Canadian universities that offer admission to international students to study in Canada without IELTS.
Alternatives to Study in Canada without IELTS
International students seeking admission to Canadian universities have many additional admission requirements to fulfill. English language proficiency is one of them. However, it is not mandatory to attend and qualify in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test anymore. An IELTS test is expensive and also requires a lot of effort for clearing and scoring the minimum required marks. Several universities in Canada accept applications from international students without the IELTS scores. Some of the alternative entrance exams are TOEFL, GRE, SAT, GMAT, MCAT, LSAT. Below are the other ways for the students who want to study in Canada without IELTS :
- Other English Language Proficiency test score like TOEFL, PTE Academic
- Proof of study in an English medium school (Min. 4 years)
- The official language of your country should be English
- Proof of study in Canadian English Language School (a semester/ year)
Other Entrance Exams for International Students
Various Canadian universities require different English language proficiency tests from international students for enrollment to a wide variety of programs and courses. Testing English language proficiency is one of the main admissions policies at major Canadian universities for admission of international students. However, the IELTS requirement is not mandatory for many universities in Canada. Several other English tests are accepted in place of IELTS for testing the English language ability of international students. Listed below are some of the other English language proficiency tests that can be attempted by international students for admission to top universities in Canada:
- TOEFL - Test of English as a Foreign Language
- CAEL - Canadian Academic English Language
- PTE - Pearson English Language Test
- Can Test - Canadian Test of English for Scholars and Trainees
Top Universities in Canada without IELTS Requirements
Some of the Canadian universities accept students who have not appeared for the IELTS examination, however, the applicants should meet specific criteria decided by the universities.
- Brock University: You can take the help of IELTS to take admission into Brock University but IELTS is not necessary criteria. Brock University considers TOEFL scores and also offers the Brock Intensive English Language Program for international students.
- University of Saskatchewan: The University of Saskatchewan welcomes students from around the globe. You can choose the TOEFL score (overall 86 with minimum scores of 19 in each ) if you have not appeared for the IELTS examination.
- University of Winnipeg: In the University of Regina, English language proficiency proof is a necessary requirement for admission. You can attend their ELP (English Language Program) prior to starting your study at the University of Regina.
- Cambrian College: At Cambrian College, International candidates are assessed on the English language proficiency test which will be including writing, reading, and speaking once they arrive at the college.
- Memorial University of Newfoundland and Labrador
- TOEFL Score: A minimum score of 90.
- CAEL Score: A minimum score of 70, with 60 per band.
- Can Test Score: A minimum of scores of 4.5 in the listening comprehension and reading test, and a score of 4 in the writing test.
Canada is one of the most preferred study abroad in Canada for international students after the UK and the US. Canada is known for its affordable education offered at both undergraduate and graduate levels in different fields of study. Admissions to Canadian universities are primarily based on the academic excellence and overall profile of the applicant. But international students have additional admission requirements to be fulfilled for admissions in Canadian universities. One of the main admission requirements for international students seeking admission to some of the top universities in Canada is a Statement of Purpose (SOP). An SOP for Canada is a 1000-1500 words essay explaining the personal and academic achievements of the international applicant.
What is an SOP for Canada?
An SOP Canada sample is a 1000-word essay to be attached along with the application for the targeted Canadian university/ institution. It is one of the important documents for admission to Canadian universities at both undergraduate and graduate levels. The SOP Canada sample is a document that should include all the achievements of the applicant along with his/ her goals and dreams and also the purpose of seeking admission into a particular program at the Canadian university. Canada has a diverse student community and is looking for students who can blend into the Canadian culture and environment. An engaging statement of purpose for a Canada student visa gives the international applicant an edge over other students applying to the respective Canadian universities.
Tips for Writing Good SOP Samples for Canada
A statement of purpose for Canada is one of the important documents for international students seeking admission to top Canadian universities at both undergraduate and graduate levels. The top universities in Canada offer admission to diverse students who can contribute to the Canadian culture and environment. The student should be able to prove his/ her edge over other applicants in the same Canadian university. Listed below are some of the tips for writing the best SOP samples for Canada student visa:
- The best SOP for Canada sample should include the reason why the applicant chose Canada for their higher studies and also the reason for choosing the particular Canadian university.
- The students should elaborate on their short-term and long-term goals in the SOP for Canada sample.
- The sample SOP for Canada student visa should be unique and original and should be written in a short and crisp manner. Students should write the SOP in simple correct grammar and avoid unwanted usage of complicated words.
- The SOP should be written in an orderly and systematic manner and should maintain the content flow. The content should be professional and to the point.
- The sample of SOP for Canada student visa should be logical and engaging to read. Students should avoid exaggeration in all forms.
- The sample of SOP for Canada study visa should include the social engagement and extracurricular activities of the applicant. Students should avoid writing what is already written in the CV and be unique and engaging.
- The best SOP samples for Canada student visas should have a logical flow of content. The content should be interesting to read and blend well with the intended audience. The tone of writing should be between casual and formal.
- The sample SOP for Canada student visa should not have plagiarized content and it should not be repetitive. Applicants can refer to other SOPs that have led to admissions at the respective universities but should ensure that the content of their SOP for Canada visa is original and unique.
Why is SOP for Canada Important?
Canada is the study abroad hub for international students from all over the world. There are over 6,50,000 international students in Canada enrolled in the various undergraduate and Masters courses in Canada. Canadian universities have to choose some of the best students from a pool of international applicants from all over the world. Here, an engaging SOP for Canada is taken into consideration. An SOP is the first opportunity for an international student to explain about himself/ herself to the admission committee of the respective university in Canada. Students should write their achievements, goals, and expectations in the SOP for the admission committee to select them over any other prospective candidate.
An SOP for Canada Student Visa should not be copied or plagiarized. An unimpressive and exaggerated SOP is not entertained by Canadian universities. A student having a weaker academic profile with an impressive SOP has higher chances of getting admission to the top Canadian universities. An SOP is one of the most important admission prerequisites for international students irrespective of academic, professional, and other achievements. An engaging SOP is given importance by the top universities in Canada. Lower ranked universities, however, do not give much preference to SOP in Canada.
Important Points to Include in the Statement of Purpose for Canada
A Statement of Purpose (SOP) is basically a long essay of 1000-1500 words explaining the purpose of applying to a particular program and Canadian college/ institute. An SOP explains both the personal and academic qualifications of the applicant. A statement of purpose for Canada student visa should include some of the basic information related to the personal and professional achievements of the applicant. The SOP format for Canada should include past academic records, work experience, community work, extra-curricular achievements, and other academic and professional achievements of the candidate. Some of the basic points to include in the SOP format for Canada are listed below:
- The Canada SOP should include details of the applicants' academic and professional achievements in the previous years of study. Work experience details should also be included, if applicable. The international students should mention their field of study and the university/ institution from which they have pursued their studies.
- The international applicant should mention the course of study at the respective Canadian university. The statement of purpose Canada should have the complete name of the program in which the student intends to get enrolled.
- The Canada SOP should mention the reason for pursuing a particular course of study at the Canadian university. International students should explain the motivation behind choosing the particular program of study to the admission committee of the respective university in Canada.
- International students should write about the relevant experience in the mentioned field along with the details about certifications, publications, or projects in a particular field of study.
- The international applicant should explain the reason for choosing to study the course/ program in a particular Canadian university. All the details about the course structure, faculty/ professors, facilities, and student clubs offered at the university should be highlighted. Students can also mention the research work conducted at the university that can add further value to the admission profile. The intention of the application should be clearly explained in the first paragraph of the best SOP for Canada study visa.
Common Mistakes to Avoid in Statement of Purpose Canada
A statement of purpose (SOP) is one of the most important requirements for international students applying for higher studies in Canada. Most Canadian universities require international applicants to submit an SOP for admission at both undergraduate and graduate levels. The SOP for Canada visa should not have the same details already mentioned in the CV of the applicant. International applicants should elaborate on their academic and professional achievements in the Canada SOP, but that needs to be done subtly. Exaggerating/ false information should be avoided by all means. Some of the other common mistakes to avoid while writing the sample SOP for Canada study permit are:
- International applicants should avoid using short forms and slang words in the Canada SOP. The content should be written in proper language and correct grammar should be used.
- International applicants should maintain the word limit so that the content of the statement of purpose Canada is not too lengthy and boring.
- The sample SOP for Canada study permit should not be repetitive. The Canada SOP should be written in simple words for easier understanding and credibility.
Canada is one of the most preferred study abroad destinations for international students from all over the world. The academic quality, high standard of education, and globally-recognized degree offered in Canada attract international students to pursue their higher studies in Canada. Canadian universities offer affordable education to students with low tuition fees compared to other countries such as the US and the UK. However, the cost of living in Canada may be higher depending on the location of the university and the course type and duration. International students are eligible for several fully funded scholarships in Canada that cover the basic costs of living and studying in Canada.
Scholarships are available for international students in Canada at both undergraduate and graduate levels. The scholarships are offered by the Canadian government, non-government organizations, and the respective universities in which the student is enrolled. Both partially-funded and fully funded scholarships in Canada are offered to international students. The fully funded scholarships in Canada for international students cover costs such as tuition, books, incidental expenses, etc for the duration of the course. Scholarships are provided to international students on the basis of merit and need.
All details of some of the top fully funded scholarships in Canada for international students such as eligibility, scholarship amount, and other details are as discussed.
Best Fully Funded Scholarships in Canada 2020 for International Students
Canada is known for its top-quality academic programs and courses in various fields of study including engineering, medicine, and business. The tuition and other fees of some of the popular programs such as an MBA may be higher than some other courses in the field of arts, humanities, etc. Several fully funded scholarships are available for international students in Canada. Canadian universities offer entrance scholarships to international students. Both merit-based and need-based scholarships are awarded to deserving students. These scholarships cover costs such as tuition fees, books and supplies, incidental expenses, medical insurance, and many more. Some of the fully funded scholarships for international students in Canada are listed below:
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships Program
- Francophonie Scholarship Program (CFSP) for Francophonie Developing Countries
- Quebec Government Scholarships
- Margaret McNamara Educational Grants for Women
- University of British Columbia’s International Leader of Tomorrow
- York University Global Leader of Tomorrow Scholarships
- Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship Program at the University of Toronto
- University of Winnipeg President’s Scholarships
- UBC Four Year Doctoral Fellowship (4YF) Program
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships Program
These fully funded PhD scholarships in Canada are provided to both domestic and international students for a fully funded PhD or joint graduate research program in Canada. The scholarship amount is $50,000 per year for 3 years and is given to more than 150 students every year.
Francophonie Scholarship Program (CFSP) for Francophonie Developing Countries
This fully funded masters scholarship in Canada 2020 is provided by the Canadian government to international students from French-speaking countries pursuing masters and doctoral studies in Canada. The fully funded masters programs in Canada are provided in different fields of study for students from Francophonie developing countries such as Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Cambodia, etc. Students pursuing technical and vocational training, and also short term internships are eligible for this scholarship. Students are chosen based on a quota for each recipient country. The scholarship values at an average of $35,000 per year for up to 4 years.
Quebec Government Scholarships
These fully funded PhD scholarships in Canada are offered by the Government of Quebec to international students pursuing doctoral research in Canada. This entrance scholarship is provided to encourage international students to pursue doctoral studies in Quebec in the fields of natural sciences, mathematics, and engineering. The scholarship covers the higher tuition fees and the health insurance of the selected candidates.
Margaret McNamara Educational Grants for Women
This educational grant is offered to women from developing and middle-income countries who are willing to move back to their home countries after their higher studies in Canada. The women are required to work to improve the lives of other women and children. The value of the grant is $15,000 per year and it is awarded to several international women every year.
University of British Columbia’s International Leader of Tomorrow
This scholarship program is for outstanding international students based on their financial need. International students enrolled in undergraduate programs are selected based on academic merit, leadership skills, community service, involvement in student affairs, and overall achievement in fields such as performing arts, athletics, debating, or creative writing. Students are selected based on the recommendations of the educational institutes in which he/ she is enrolled. The scholarship covers the tuition, fees, and living costs of the selected candidates based on their financial need.
York University Global Leader of Tomorrow Scholarships
These fully funded undergraduate scholarships in Canada are provided to international students pursuing undergraduate studies in Canada. The full tuition costs of the selected candidates are covered under the scholarship. The students are only required to bear the living expenses for the duration of their course. The scholarship is valued at $20,000 for 4 years.
Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship Program at the University of Toronto
This scholarship is provided to nearly 37 secondary school international students enrolled at the University of Toronto. The University of Toronto fully funded scholarship covers the cost of tuition, books, incidental fees, and full residence support for the selected students.
University of Winnipeg President’s Scholarships
This scholarship is provided to international students enrolled in undergraduate, graduate, professional, collegiate, applied, and continuing education programs at the University of Winnipeg. It is a partial tuition- waiver scholarship amounting to $3500 per year.
UBC Four Year Doctoral Fellowship (4YF) Program
This fellowship is one of the fully funded PhD scholarships in Canada offered to deserving international students pursuing a fully funded PhD in Canada. The best Ph.D., DMA, and MDPhD students are offered financial assistance of up to $18,200 per year plus complete tuition for up to 4 years of their doctoral studies. This fellowship offers outstanding domestic and international doctoral students base-level funding for their doctoral studies and research in Canada.
A Canada study permit is provided to international students willing to study at designated learning institutions (DLI) in Canada. Any student who is not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada and wants to study in Canada for more than 6-months at the post-secondary level will need a Canada study permit to do so.
A Canada student permit is not the same as a Canada student visa. A Canada student visa is required to enter Canada and a study permit is required to study in Canada. International students are required to apply for a student permit before traveling to Canada for the respective study program.
International students are required to apply for a study permit in Canada at least 4-6 months before the start of the course and the study permit is valid for 3 months after the duration of the course. The eligibility criteria and documents required for a study permit, the application process, and the procedure for a Canada study permit extension are discussed.
Eligibility Criteria for the Canada Student Permit
Any international student seeking admission to any Canadian university/ institution in a course longer than 6 months needs to apply for a study permit. Also, an international student can work in Canada with a valid Canada student permit. The Canada study permit requirements are similar to the requirements of the Canada student visa. International students should also obtain a temporary resident visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA) that will go alongside their passport and study permit. Students should apply for student visa Canada through the official Citizen and Immigration Canada (CIC) website. The Canada study permit requirements of eligibility for international students are:
- The international student should have an acceptance letter from any Canadian university/ designated learning institute (DLI).
- The student should have a valid passport and also should have adequate funds to pay for the tuition fee in the first year. The student should also be able to manage the living expenses and have enough funds for return travel to the home country.
- The students should also be able to convince the immigration officials of returning to their home countries after the completion of the course or when the study permit expires.
- The students should submit proof of a background check and a police certificate confirming no criminal records in the past.
- A medical certificate and all other clinical records should be submitted to prove good health. Medical examinations should be conducted if required.
Documents Required for Canada Study Permit
The international students applying for a study permit in Canada must submit all the supporting documents along with the study permit application. Students should have all the required documents ready before starting the process of study visa for Canada. The student visa application Canada should be done through the official Citizen and Immigration Canada (CIC) website. Online applications are processed more quickly and it is easier for applicants to get any updates related to the status of the Canada study permit. The mandatory documents to be submitted by international students along with the Canada study permit application are given below:
- Acceptance letter from the Designated Learning Institution (DLI): The original or electronic copy of the proof of acceptance from the respective institution should be attached to the study permit application. The students who are conditionally accepted and are required to enroll in some prerequisite courses will be getting the study permit for the duration of that course plus one year. Once the student gets admission into the main course, he/ she should apply for a new student permit to continue their student life in Canada.
- Identity Proof: The International Students in Canada applying for a study permit in Canada and any other family member accompanying the student is required to submit a valid proof of identities such as a passport or a travel document. 2 passport-sized photographs in the approved format are also required.
- Proof of financial support: The international student should provide proof of finances to be able to sustain in Canada for the duration of the course. An estimated amount of $10,000 per year should be shown as financial proof. Bank statements, scholarship in Canada, proof of sponsorship, etc can be shown as valid proof of financial support.
- Letter of Explanation: A letter explaining the goals and intentions of studying in Canada should be submitted by international students. This document serves as proof that the student is aware of his/ her responsibilities as an international student in Canada and helps in availing of the Canada student permit.
- Certificat d’acceptation du Québec: This document is required for students willing to study in Quebec and is issued by the Government of Quebec. The details about this certificate can be obtained from the respective educational institution in Quebec in which the student is admitted.
- Additional documents: Additional documents may be required based on the country or region based requirements. Other documents based on the Canada study visa requirements may have to be submitted along with the Canada study permit application.
Canada Study Permit Application Process
International students seeking admission to some of the top universities in Canada are required to apply for a Canadian student permit before arriving in Canada. The Canadian student permit should be applied online through the official Citizen and Immigration Canada (CIC) website. In this case, the applications are submitted instantly and may be processed more quickly. In certain circumstances, students can apply for a Canada study visa at the port of entry to Canada. Students should keep all the documents ready that are required to be submitted along with the Canada study permit application. The steps for applying for a study permit in Canada for international students are listed below:
- The study permit application can be submitted online through the Student Direct Stream (SDS) for faster processing. The usual processing time for a study permit in Canada is 20 days.
- An application fee of $150 should be paid along with the Canada student permit application.
- All the required documents should be attached along with the study permit application after confirming the eligibility criteria.
- The student should give the biometrics at the earliest opportunity for faster processing of the application.
- The submitted Canada study visa application can be tracked online by checking the status of the application directly in the online account.
Canada Study Permit Extension
A study permit in Canada for international students is valid for up to 3 months after the duration of the course. Students are required to extend the study permit at least 30 days before it expires. The study permit cannot be extended beyond the validity of the student’s passport.
A Canadian student work permit can be applied if the student is willing to work in Canada after completion of his/ her studies. The student may be able to work temporarily in Canada with a Canada work permit and this work experience counts while qualifying for a permanent residence in Canada. A Post-graduation work permit (PGWP) and many types of work permits are available for international students to be able to work in Canada after their graduation.
In conclusion, all international students willing to study in Canada require a valid Canada study permit to do so. Immigration officers in Canada will stamp the passport and the duration of stay in Canada will usually match the length of the study permit. By the expiry date, international students should leave Canada, apply for an extension, or change his/ her status to a visitor or temporary worker in Canada.