Study in Canada
Explore Top Universities and Colleges in Canada.
Get Updates on Tuition, Courses Offered, Duration and more.
Have Plans to Study in Canada? Choose the best university or college in Canada. Get all university details, courses offered, fees & admission details of various universities and colleges in Canada. Select the right course with multiple career opportunities & the entrance exams for studying in Canada. Get free counselling from experts.
The value of undergraduate courses has been declining as the years progresses. This has lead to students seeking higher studies in foreign countries like the US, UK, Ireland, Canada, etc. Let’s see what perks studying in Canada has over other countries.
Why Choose Canada for Higher Studies?
One of the primary reasons to choose Canada for Higher Studies is the value of the degree that is offered to the students. The degrees obtained from Canadian Universities hold the same or equivalent degree value as the ones offered in the US. Sounds interesting, doesn’t it?
Canada has been the education hotspot for many students due to the benefits offered by the country for international students. Students have evolved to such a level that they want more exposure at an affordable cost and with proper returns. Keeping these things in mind pursuing higher studies in Canada has its upside and downside too.
The tuition fees and cost of living is affordable compared to most of the top tier countries and equivalent level of degree is obtained.
Students have the option to opt for permanent residency. As per the report obtained in 2017, around 4,95,000 international students were pursuing their higher education in Canada. So you can be one among them and avail of these privileges offered by the Canadian Universities to Indian students.
The majority of the students are from India, Iran, Vietnam, etc. The crime rates and cost of living are low. Security and stability are on the safer side for international students wanting to pursue their higher studies in Canada.
Students can also opt for part-time work after or before the university timings. Work opportunities are provided after the college studies for students willing to continue their professional life in the country.
Top Colleges and Universities in Canada
Vancouver, British Columbia
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I apply for the University of Toronto?
At McGill University, international applicants are encouraged to apply early so that you have enough time to prepare the travel, study, and immigration documents. Also, many departments of the university have earlier application deadlines for international students. The application process for admission at McGill is given below:
- The applicant should first discover the right program from over 400 programs in over 80 departments
- The applicant should connect with the respective department to learn about the program requirements, deadlines, and to find a supervisor.
- He/ she should prepare the application along with all the supporting documents.
- Finally, the applicant should upload all the documents and submit the application.
Here are some articles listed that help you understand the benefits of studying in Canada. These articles guide students in choosing the best universities, entrance exams, scholarships & financial aids, etc. Explore for more related articles!
Canada is one of the most preferred study abroad destinations in the world for international students. Canada offers affordable higher education as compared to other countries such as the UK and the US. The degrees offered in Canada are globally recognized for its academic quality and credibility. Over 6 lakh international students from all over the world are enrolled in higher studies in Canada at all levels. Canada is one of the safest countries in the world that attracts students from different cultures and ethnicities to live and study in Canada.
International students prefer to study masters in Canada due to the simple and straightforward immigration process and also the quality of life. Masters degree in Canada is research-oriented leading to doctoral degrees in the respective fields. The top universities in Canada for MS offer masters degrees for international students in the field of engineering, medicine, business administration, health science, etc. Some of the popular MS courses in Canada for international students are offered in data science, computer science, public health, finance, etc.
Some of the best universities for masters in Canada are available for international students offering quality higher education at an affordable cost. An MS in Canada cost comes up to $7,056 per annum. The masters in Canada cost varies for the different master’s programs offered in various fields of study. Students in need of financial support can avail of a scholarship for master in Canada that covers the cost of tuition fees, incidental expenses, living costs, etc. Both fully-funded and partially funded scholarships for masters in Canada are available for international students.
All details about the top universities in Canada for MS, scholarships, admission requirements, fee details, etc are as discussed.
Why Study Masters in Canada?
Canada is home to some of the top universities for masters in Canada. The master’s degree in Canada is research focussed, and is globally recognized. Canadian universities are known for their academic standard and excellent teaching quality. Given below are other factors that will encourage international students to study masters in Canada:
- The best universities in Canada for MS offer masters degrees under various disciplines such as engineering, medicine, management, nursing, etc.
- The master’s programs offered in Canada are research-based or thesis-based. International students can gain practical experience in the form of co-op placements or internships.
- The university for masters in Canada offers affordable masters degree programs for international students. The tuition fees charged at top universities in Canada for MS is the lowest as compared to other English speaking countries such as the UK and the US.
- International students pursuing a masters degree are eligible for a scholarship for master in Canada.
- Canada has one of the simplest and straightforward immigration processes for international students. The student visa rules for international students are flexible and allows students to work part-time for up to 20 hours per week.
- Canada is one of the safest countries and also one of the best places to live and study for international students from all over the world.
- Canada is known for its multicultural and diverse community consisting of people from all over the world. International students from more than 200 countries around the world are pursuing higher studies in Canada at different levels.
- Some of the top universities in Canada for MS offer master degree programs in various fields of study including journalism, politics, engineering, and medicine.
Top Universities in Canada for MS for International Students:
Some of the best universities in Canada for MS offer master’s degree programs to international students under different disciplines such as engineering, medicine, education, etc. Masters degrees in Canada are affordable with low living expenses and low cost of attending university for masters in Canada. The top MS colleges in Canada offer masters degrees in different areas of study. Some of the top universities in Canada for MS for international students are as listed below:
- University of Toronto
- University of British Columbia
- McGill University
- McMaster University
- University of Montreal
- University of Alberta
- University of Ottawa
- Trinity Western University
- University of Calgary
- University of Waterloo
Masters in Canada Requirements for International Students:
There are different requirements for different courses offered in the various universities for masters in Canada. International students are required to have 16 years of total education including a 4-year bachelor’s degree in any field. Some of the top universities for masters in Canada have more admission requirements from international students. Some of the master’s degree programs such as MBA require students to have valid work experience. Given below are the masters in Canada requirements for international students in Canada:
- International students are required to prove English language proficiency with scores of TOEFL, IELTS.
- A GPA is most important for admission to the top universities in Canada for MS. A minimum GPA of 3 out of 4 is required for admission to a masters degree program in Canada. Top Canadian universities may require a higher GPA from international students.
- International students should also submit their GMAT/ GRE scores for admission to some of the top MS universities in Canada.
- Certain courses such as a masters in management, master in marketing Canada require international students to have work experience of at least 2 years.
- Some Canadian universities may ask for written samples or copies of the published work from international students for admission to different master’s courses in Canada.
MS in Canada Cost for International Students:
The tuition and fees in Canada are much more affordable in comparison to other countries such as the UK and the US. International students willing to study masters in Canada have to bear the cost of attendance that ranges between $16,250 - $28,650 per year for the different courses. Masters courses in Canada take up to 12 to 24 months for completion depending on the course specialization. The tuition fees for international students for the different master’s degree programs is between $8,777 to $61,190. The average masters in Canada cost is $7,056 that includes the semester fees and any supplementary costs, if applicable.
International students should also bear the living expenses in Canada that come up to $10,000 per annum. The living costs mainly depend on the standard of living of the candidates. It also depends on the location of the university, in which the student is pursuing a masters degree. International students who study masters in Canada at universities located in Vancouver, Toronto or Quebec may have to bear the living costs of up to $1,700 per month.
Top Scholarship for Master in Canada for International Students:
Canada offers the most affordable tuition fees at some of the top universities for masters in Canada. However, the cost of attending a Canadian university for a master degree program may be higher depending on the course type and duration. The tuition costs of masters programs in Canada may be slightly higher in the top university for masters in Canada. Several scholarship options are available for international students provided by the Canadian government, non-government organizations, and the respective university, in which the students are pursuing the master’s degree. Some of the top scholarship for master in Canada are as listed below:
- IDRC Research Awards
- NSERC Postgraduate Scholarships
- Queen Elizabeth Scholarships (Queen's)
- University of Toronto Ontario Graduate Scholarship (U of T)
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
- University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowships (UMGF)
- University of Waterloo Master’s Awards of Excellence (Waterloo)
- Ontario Trillium Scholarship (Ontario)
- UBC Graduate Global Leadership Fellowships (UBC)
- University of Calgary Graduate Scholarships (Calgary)
The University of Toronto (U of T) is one of the world's top research-intensive universities located in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It was established in 1827 and is Canada’s leading academic and research institution known for its inventions and innovations both in Canada and all over the world. UToronto is one of the best universities in Toronto for masters. The globally recognized research-based programs and courses offered at U of T makes it one of the top universities in Toronto.
The Canada University of Toronto campuses are located in Mississauga, St. George, and Scarborough. The main University of Toronto campus is at St. George, Downtown Toronto, Ontario. U of T Over 980 undergraduate and graduate courses are offered to 93,000+ domestic and international students. The University of Toronto international students come from 157 countries around the world. Around 23,000 students at U of T are international students. The University of Toronto acceptance rates are 43%.
The Canada University of Toronto rankings, courses, fees, admission requirements, etc are discussed.
Canada University of Toronto Highlights:
The University of Toronto is globally known for its higher education and extensive research. It offers over 700 undergraduate and 200+ graduate degree courses and programs to students from all over the world. The courses are offered in different disciplines such as business administration, engineering, law, nursing, etc. Given below are some of the facts and figures related to the University of Toronto related to student enrollment, staff, and other details.
|Total Student Enrollment- Freshman||14,931|
|Students at St. George campus||7,602|
|Students at Mississauga campus||3,969|
|Students at Scarborough campus||3,360|
|Annual funding||$1.27 billion|
|Total Courses offered||980|
|University of Toronto acceptance rates||43%|
University of Toronto Rankings:
U of T is one of the best universities in Toronto and has been ranked in the top both nationally and internationally by various ranking agencies. The programs and courses in University of Toronto are considered to be among the best in the world. Some of the rankings awarded to UToronto are listed below:
- Ranked #28 for Impact Rankings by Times Higher Education Ranking.
- Ranked #16 for graduate employability by QS World Rankings.
- Ranked #25 overall by QS World Rankings.
- Ranked #1 in Canada by Macleans Canada Rankings 2020.
- Ranked #18 as the best research-focused global university by the US News and World Report.
- Ranked #27 in the world as World’s Most Innovative Universities by Reuters.
Top Courses in University of Toronto:
UToronto has some of the best courses and programs in the world in different fields of study such as engineering, management, business administration, nursing, law, etc. Both undergraduate and graduate programs in University of Toronto are provided in different areas of study. U of T is one of the best universities in Toronto for its world-class research-based courses and academic programs. The University of Toronto is known to offer several academic opportunities and facilities to the students from all over the world. The top-ranked courses at UToronto are in clinical medicine, psychology, arts & humanities, and finance. The different faculties offering courses in different fields are listed below:
- Architecture, Landscape & Design
- Applied Science & Engineering
- Arts & Science
- Graduate Studies
University of Toronto International Students Fees:
The tuition fees for international students at the University of Toronto varies depending on the type and duration of the program, campus, chosen course, etc. The fees are different for the undergraduate and graduate programs in University of Toronto. Tuition fees at the University of Toronto are higher as compared to other universities in Toronto or Canada. Given below are the University of Toronto International Students Fees for different courses:
|Bachelor of Applied Science & Engineering||$61,000|
|Bachelor of Science in Nursing||$57,000|
|Masters of Engineering||$61,500|
|M.Sc. in Applied Computing||$36,000|
Admission Requirements for University of Toronto:
Various courses and programs at University of Toronto have different eligibility requirements. Students are required to apply for the particular course at the University of Toronto and submit all supporting documents such as official transcripts, statement of purpose, GMAT/ GRE scores, English language proficiency test scores such as TOEFL, IELTS, etc. International students should fulfil the following admission requirements for University of Toronto:
- The international student should be currently residing outside Canada and should not have previously studied in Canada.
- The applicant should not be studying and should not have applied to any course/ program at other universities in Toronto.
- International students should fill the application and submit it before the deadline along with an application processing fee of $110-$195.
- Supporting documents such as academic transcripts, GMAT/ GRE scores, TOEFL/ IELTS scores, statement of purpose, letters of recommendation, personal essays, CV/ resumes, etc should be submitted along with the application.
Scholarships for International Students at the University of Toronto:
International students enrolled in the University of Toronto are eligible for financial assistance in the form of scholarships, fellowships, grants, awards, etc. Scholarships are available for international students at both undergraduate and graduate levels. Some of the scholarships at the University of Toronto for international students are listed below:
- University of Toronto Engineering International Awards
- University of Toronto Internationals Scholars Award
- Delta Kappa Gamma World Fellowships
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship- Other Master Programs
- William James Henry Scholarship
Other Trending Colleges in Canada:
Canada is one of the most preferred study abroad destinations for international students from all over the world. The academic quality, high standard of education, and globally-recognized degree offered in Canada attract international students to pursue their higher studies in Canada. Canadian universities offer affordable education to students with low tuition fees compared to other countries such as the US and the UK. However, the cost of living in Canada may be higher depending on the location of the university and the course type and duration.
Scholarships are available for international students in Canada at both undergraduate and graduate levels. The scholarships are offered by the Canadian government, non-government organizations, and the respective universities in which the student is enrolled. Both partially-funded and fully funded scholarships in Canada are offered to international students. The fully funded scholarships in Canada for international students cover costs such as tuition, books, incidental expenses, etc for the duration of the course. Scholarships are provided to international students on the basis of merit and need.
All details of some of the top fully funded scholarships in Canada for international students such as eligibility, scholarship amount, and other details are as discussed.
Best Fully Funded Scholarships in Canada 2020 for International Students:
Canada is known for its top-quality academic programs and courses in various fields of study including engineering, medicine, and business. The tuition and other fees of some of the popular programs such as an MBA may be higher than some other courses in the field of arts, humanities, etc. Several fully funded scholarships are available for international students in Canada. Some of the fully funded scholarships for international students in Canada are listed below:
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships Program
- Francophonie Scholarship Program (CFSP) for Francophonie Developing Countries
- Quebec Government Scholarships (Quebec)
- Margaret McNamara Educational Grants for Women
- University of British Columbia’s International Leader of Tomorrow (UBC)
- York University Global Leader of Tomorrow Scholarships (York)
- Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship Program at the University of Toronto (U of T)
- University of Winnipeg President’s Scholarships (UWinnipeg)
- UBC Four Year Doctoral Fellowship (4YF) Program
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships Program:These fully funded PhD scholarships in Canada are provided to both domestic and international students for a fully funded PhD or joint graduate research program in Canada. The scholarship amount is $50,000 per year for 3 years and is given to more than 150 students every year.
Francophonie Scholarship Program (CFSP) for Francophonie Developing Countries:This fully funded masters scholarship in Canada 2020 is provided by the Canadian government to international students from French-speaking countries pursuing masters and doctoral studies in Canada. The fully funded masters programs in Canada are provided in different fields of study for students from Francophonie developing countries such as Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Cambodia, etc. Students pursuing technical and vocational training, and also short term internships are eligible for this scholarship. Students are chosen based on a quota for each recipient country. The scholarship values at an average of $35,000 per year for up to 4 years.
Quebec Government Scholarships:These fully funded PhD scholarships in Canada are offered by the Government of Quebec to international students pursuing doctoral research in Canada. This entrance scholarship is provided to encourage international students to pursue doctoral studies in Quebec in the fields of natural sciences, mathematics and engineering. The scholarship covers the higher tuition fees and the health insurance of the selected candidates.
Margaret McNamara Educational Grants for Women:This educational grant is offered to women from developing and middle-income countries who are willing to move back to their home countries after their higher studies in Canada. The women are required to work to improve the lives of other women and children. The value of the grant is $15,000 per year and it is awarded to several international women every year.
University of British Columbia’s International Leader of Tomorrow:This scholarship program is for outstanding international students based on their financial need. International students enrolled in undergraduate programs are selected based on academic merit, leadership skills, community service, involvement in student affairs, and overall achievement in fields such as performing arts, athletics, debating or creative writing. Students are selected based on the recommendations of the educational institutes in which he/ she is enrolled. The scholarship covers the tuition, fees and living costs of the selected candidates based on their financial need.
York University Global Leader of Tomorrow Scholarships:These fully funded undergraduate scholarships in Canada are provided to international students pursuing undergraduate studies in Canada. The full tuition costs of the selected candidates are covered under the scholarship. The students are only required to bear the living expenses for the duration of their course. The scholarship is valued at $20,000 for 4 years.
Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship Program at the University of Toronto:This scholarship is provided to nearly 37 secondary school international students enrolled at the University of Toronto. This University of Toronto fully funded scholarship covers the cost of tuition, books, incidental fees, and full residence support for the selected students.
University of Winnipeg President’s Scholarships:This scholarship is provided to international students enrolled in undergraduate, graduate, professional, collegiate, applied, and continuing education programs at the University of Winnipeg. It is a partial tuition- waiver scholarship amounting to $3500 per year.
UBC Four Year Doctoral Fellowship (4YF) Program:This fellowship is one of the fully funded PhD scholarships in Canada offered to deserving international students pursuing a fully funded PhD in Canada. The best PhD, DMA, and MDPhD students are offered financial assistance of up to $18,200 per year plus complete tuition for up to 4 years of their doctoral studies. This fellowship offers outstanding domestic and international doctoral students base-level funding for their doctoral studies and research in Canada.
A Postgraduate diploma also called as a Graduate diploma in Canada is offered to students who have completed their undergraduate studies. The duration of PG diploma courses in Canada is a maximum of 1 or 2 years. International students prefer to pursue PG courses in Canada to be able to get better job prospects on completion of their postgraduate degrees.
International students who are not able to pursue a postgraduate degree take up PG diploma courses in Canada. PG courses in Canada offered at the community colleges and SPP colleges in Canada are popular among international students. PG diploma in Canada fees for international students ranges between $20,000- $35,000 per year.
International students pursuing a one year PG diploma in Canada are eligible for a 1-year PG work permit on completion of their studies. The value of a PG diploma in Canada is similar to that of a postgraduate certificate or postgraduate degree course. The average salary after completion of a PG diploma in Canada is around $54,000 and is much more in popular cities such as Vancouver, Toronto, Calgary, etc.
Some of the best colleges in Canada for PG diploma, top PG diploma courses in Canada, and other details related to PG diploma in Canada are discussed.
Why Study a PG Diploma in Canada?
PG courses in Canada are one of the most demanded study abroad options for international students from all over the world. Students prefer to pursue a PG diploma which serves as a base for a masters degree in Canada. A PG diploma is accepted by both public and private sector companies in Canada for job opportunities. Some of the reasons why international students prefer to pursue a PG diploma course in Canada are given below:
- PG diploma courses are much more affordable than a regular masters degree course in Canada. PG diploma courses from reputed Canadian universities are globally recognized.
- Several PG diploma programs are designed as co-op options which enable international students to intern with the respective companies. This helps the students to build professional relationships and contacts which help them in securing a job after completion of their studies thus easing the process of getting a permanent residence in Canada in the future.
- Canadian universities are known for high academic standards and provide research-oriented pg courses for students from all over the world. A PG diploma is a short term course for international students who wish to study and work in Canada.
- A PG diploma costs less and is valid throughout Canada and other countries. Canada has a high employability rate that enables students with a PG diploma to be able to be employed within 6 months of completion of their course.
- The Canadian visa process is straightforward and simpler for international students as compared to other countries such as the UK and the US. International students are eligible to work part-time for up to 20 hours per week with a valid study permit that helps the students to sustain themselves for the duration of the course.
- PG diploma courses in Canada are flexible and accept 3-year undergraduate degree programs for admission. The entry requirements for a PG diploma in Canada are much more basic than that for an MS degree in Canada.
PG Diploma vs Masters in Canada:
A PG diploma is a shorter version of a masters degree in Canada and is much more affordable than a masters degree. The main PG diploma vs masters in Canada is shown below:
|PG Diploma||Masters Degree|
|A PG diploma in Canada is made up of 120 credit hours.||A masters program in Canada is made up of 180 credit hours.|
|A 3-year undergraduate degree candidate is eligible for admission.||Applicants are required to have a 4-year undergraduate degree.|
|Students with over 55% marks at UG level are eligible to apply.||Students with a minimum of 70%-75% are eligible to apply.|
PG Diploma in Canada Eligibility for International Students:
International applicants with a 3-year undergraduate degree with good academic scores are eligible for a PG diploma in Canada. The course duration is 1-2 years depending on the course chosen by the candidate. Several short-term PG diploma courses of 8 months are also available for international students in Canada. Some of the eligibility requirements for international students seeking admission into PG diploma programs in Canada are listed below:
- International applicants should have a valid undergraduate degree with a cumulative percentage of 55%-60% or higher.
- Certain specialized PG diploma courses in Canada require the students to have a valid work experience of 1-2 years for admission.
- International applicants are also required to provide English language proficiency test scores such as TOEFL, IELTS, etc.
Top PG Diploma Courses in Canada for International Students:
PG diploma is a base course for a masters degree in Canada and is available in a variety of disciplines ranging from engineering to health sciences to business. The PG diploma in Canada course list consists of some of the most popular areas of study preferred by international students. Some of the popular PG diploma courses in Canada are listed below:
- Computer Science and Information Technology
- Accounting and Finance
- Business Administration
- Engineering and Engineering Management
- Biosciences, Medicine & Healthcare
- Marketing, Advertising, and Public Relations
- Pharmacy, Nursing, and Midwifery
- Education, Teaching & Career Counselling
Best Colleges in Canada for PG Diploma for International Students:
Both 2-year and one year pg diploma in Canada are offered at some of the SPP and community colleges in Canada. The Canada colleges for PG diploma offer PG diploma courses in various disciplines to international students at affordable fees. Some of the best colleges in Canada for PG diploma are listed below:
Canada is one of the safest countries in the world and is also one of the most preferred study abroad destinations for international students from all over the world. The ethnically diverse student community and the quality of education provided in Canada are some of the factors that attract international students. There are several study abroad programs Canada for international students at all levels of study. Some of the popular study abroad programs Canada for international students are provided in different fields such as business, economics, environmental science, political science, etc.
International students are eligible to work part-time during their study and also have attractive job opportunities in Canada after the completion of their education. International students are required to select the course of study and apply to the Canadian university of choice. Alternatively, international students can also contact Canada education consultants for details about the admission process and visa requirements for Canada. Canada education consultants help international students with study options in Canada.
International students can be a part of student exchange programs Canada to be able to live and study with fellow Canadians. Several exchange programs Canada is provided by non-profit organizations and private sector companies that help international students to experience Canadian culture. The student exchange programs Canada may take place over several weeks, months or up to a full year. International students may have an opportunity to live with Canadian families for the duration of the student exchange programs Canada and attend language school, high school, college or university.
Why Study Abroad in Canada?
International students choose Canada for their higher education due to the high-quality globally recognized education offered in Canadian universities in addition to a student-friendly environment and a hassle-free immigration system. Canada offers affordable education in a variety of streams to international students. Some of the other reasons for international students to choose Canada for their higher education are given below:
- A high-quality world-class education: Canada is known to provide affordable education as compared to other countries such as the US and the UK. The degrees, certificates, and diplomas offered at Canadian universities are equally recognized to that of countries such as the UK, the US, and other commonwealth countries. A variety of degree programs are offered in the disciplines of computer science, information technology, healthcare, etc through top-ranked Canadian universities and institutions.
- Bilingual Study Environment: Canada is a bilingual country and offers courses in both French and English. The bilingual study environment offers international students with an opportunity to develop their language skills and get better prospects in career. This bilingual atmosphere enriches the cultural and community life of international students in Canada.
- Safe Community: Canada is one of the safest countries in the world and has been ranked as the 8th most peaceful country in the world by the Institute of Economics and Peace. Canada offers a high standard of living with low crime rates and great health benefits to international students. The people of Canada are known to be friendly and tolerant to a wide community of people from all over the world. Canada has an international student community of students from different nations and cultures co-existing peacefully with the local Canadian community.
- Affordable Education: Canada education is known to be affordable as compared to other countries such as the UK and the US. The cost of living in Canada is around $29,947 for international students which is much more affordable than the cost of living in the US which is $36,564. Several Canadian universities offer low tuition fees to international students for high-quality education.
- Permanent Residency after graduation: The immigration laws of Canada allow international students to live in Canada for 3 years after graduation using their post-graduation work permit. The students who work in Canada after graduation may also apply for a permanent residency in Canada easily in the future.
- Part-time work options: International students can work for up to 20 hours per week in Canada during their studies. International students are permitted to work full-time during the summer and spring breaks. The Canadian study permit allows international students to work part-time to sustain themselves in Canada.
Canada is home to some of the best universities in the world offering education under various disciplines such as engineering, medicine, business administration, management, etc. The top universities in Canada are ranked based on their education quality, research quality, employer reputation, etc. Some of Canada’s top universities based on rankings are listed below:
- University of Toronto
- McGill University
- University of British Columbia
- Université de Montréal
- University of Alberta
- McMaster University
- University of Calgary
- University of Waterloo
- Trinity Western University
- Queen’s University
Cost of Attendance in Canada for International Students:
International students in Canada are required to bear the cost of attending a Canadian university in addition to the tuition fees. The cost of living varies for the different universities based on the location of the university and the course selected by the student. The living expenses also depends mainly on the standard of living of the student. The living costs include the expenses for accommodation, dining, travel, health insurance, and other miscellaneous expenses. Given below are some of the basic expenses to be born by international students in Canada:
|Undergraduate tuition fees||$27,159 per annum|
|Postgraduate tuition fees||$16,497 per annum|
|Accommodation costs (on-campus)||$3000- $7500|
|Accommodation costs (off-campus)||$8,400|
|Dining||$15 per meal|
|Public transport||$3 per trip|
|Gym membership||$49 per month|
|Health Insurance||$600- $800 per year|
|Canada Student Visa||$150|
Top Study Abroad Scholarships Canada for International Students:
Canada offers one of the most affordable education programs to international students in various fields of study. However, the cost of studying in Canada may be expensive. The cost of attendance for international students depends on factors such as the location of the university, course type, course duration, housing type, etc. Several scholarships for study abroad in Canada are available for international students pursuing undergraduate, graduate, and PhD degree courses in Canada. The top study abroad scholarships Canada for international students are listed below:
- University of Toronto Ontario Graduate Scholarship (U of T)
- University of Alberta International Scholarships (U of A)
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
- University of Waterloo Master’s Awards of Excellence (U of W)
- University of British Columbia Scholarships for International Students (UBC)
- Carleton Prestige Scholarships (Carleton)
- University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowships (UMGF)
- Canada Graduate Scholarships - Master’s Program (Canadian)
- NSERC Postgraduate Scholarship
- Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Doctoral Scholarships
Canada is one of the most affordable study abroad destinations for international students as compared to the US and the UK. Quality education is available in Canada at lower tuition costs than most other countries. The overall cost of attendance in Canada depends on various expenses including accommodation, food, health insurance, and travel in addition to the basic tuition fee at the respective Canadian university. International students are required to calculate an estimated cost of living in Canada before moving to Canada for their higher education.
Canada university fees vary for the various courses based on the type and duration of the course. The cost of living in Canada also varies based on the location of the university and the chosen course of study. The study in Canada cost for international students is less due to minimal tuition fees in some of the most affordable universities in Canada. Courses in arts, humanities, education, etc are some of the most affordable courses in Canada. Engineering, medicine, MBA courses are some of the most expensive courses in Canada. The MBA fees in Canada ranged between $30000- $42000 per year for international students. The study in Canada cost for international students includes the expenses for accommodation, food, travel, and other additional expenses for living in Canada.
The cost of university in Canada depends on the location of the university and the level of study pursued by international students. Canada college fees for international students at the undergraduate level is approximately $29714 per year and the Canada college fees for international students at the graduate level is $17744 per year. There are many universities without application fees in Canada for international students. These universities without an application fee in Canada process international students’ applications at no additional cost. This helps the students to save some money for their higher education by applying to multiple universities without paying the non-refundable application fee. There are also several universities in Canada for international students with low tuition fees. Some of the universities in Canada for international students with low tuition fee are:
- Brandon University
- Université de Saint-Boniface
- Memorial University of Newfoundland
- University of Northern British Columbia
- University of Calgary
Tuition Fees in Canada for International Students:
The tuition fees in Canada is the main expenditure for international students. The tuition fees vary depending on the course of study and the Canadian university in which the student is enrolled. The average tuition in Canada ranges between $13000 and $35000 per academic year at some of the most affordable universities in Canada. The courses such as arts and humanities, education are much more affordable than engineering and medical courses. Also, the tuition fee is higher for postgraduate courses depending on the selected program. The MBA fees in Canada are the most expensive. On average, the MBA fees in Canada ranges between $30000 to $42000 per year. Given below are the average tuition fees in Canada for international students at different levels of study.
|Course Type||Average Tuition Fees|
|Undergraduate courses||$13,000- $20,000|
|Postgraduate courses||$17,000- $25,000|
|Doctoral programs||$7,000- $15,000|
|MBA degree program||$30,000- $40,000|
Accommodation Costs for International Students in Canada:
Most Canadian universities provide on-campus accommodation to international students. Off-campus accommodation is also available for international students at affordable rates. However, on-campus housing is much cheaper as compared to off-campus accommodation. The cost of on-campus accommodation ranges between $8000- $10000 per year and living off-campus costs around $400-$700 per month. The accommodation costs vary for the different universities based on location and semester.
Canada Study Permit and Canada student visa fees for international students:
International students require a valid study permit to be able to pursue studies in Canada. A Canadian study visa is required for staying in Canada for the duration of the course. International students are eligible to work part-time for up to 20 hours per week with a valid Canadian study permit. The Canada student visa fees for international students is $150 per application. International students are required to pay an additional $85 for biometrics along with the Canada student visa fees.
Additional Living Expenses in Canada for International Students:
Additional funds are required for living costs in Canada for international students. The additional living cost in Canada for international students includes the expenses for grocery, shopping, book, supplies, and other emergency expenses. Approximately, an international student requires $15000 per year for additional expenses in Canada. Canada University fees are exclusive of these additional expenses incurred by international students. Some of the common expenses for international students in Canada are:
- Communication Expenses: International students are required to manage the budget to include phone bills and data expenses. Students should choose affordable data plans and student discounts to be able to stay connected within the monthly budget. The average cost for communication is $20 per month.
- Expenses for Books and Supplies: Buying textbooks in Canada is a little expensive. The average cost of engineering textbooks is $250- $350 and the textbooks for law, medicine and other courses cost much more. International students can manage the expenses for books and supplies by buying a library membership, or by buying second-hand books. International students can also opt for digital versions of the textbooks at a much lower cost.
- Transportation Costs: International students are required to bear the cost of transportation depending on the place of study. Buses, trains, and subways are available for transportation in Canada. The cost of commuting comes up to $110 per month for international students in Canada. Monthly passes are available which are an affordable option for students living in Canada.
- Miscellaneous Expenses: International students may need to set aside an additional budget for expenses such as laundry, dining, clothing, etc. This mainly depends on the standard of living of the students.
Health Insurance and Support for International Students in Canada:
International students in Canada are required to have a valid health insurance plan before starting their studies in Canada. The health insurance costs between $600- $900 per year for international students. Students enrolled in universities located in British Columbia, Quebec, Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, etc are insured under the respective health plans depending on the length of their program.