Study in USA
Explore Top Universities and Colleges in USA.
Get Updates on Tuition, Courses Offered, Duration and more.
Are you planning to pursue higher education from the US? Find the best university or college in the US with all the details related to the university, programs, courses, tuition fees, admission requirements, and accommodation costs. Select the right path with various career options and innovative study curriculum for pursuing education in the US.
Why Choose US for your Higher Studies?
The USA is ranked #1 for being the best study abroad destination in the world. According to the QS World Ranking, the US is home to 33 globally ranked universities out of 100. It is the most popular study abroad option for Indian students mainly because of the high quality of education and better career prospects due to the international recognition of qualifications and networking opportunities. The US is a culturally diverse country with over 1 million international student population pursuing various bachelor, masters, and doctoral degrees.
Some of the popular cities to study in the US are Boston, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Philadelphia. It has over 4,000 prestigious universities offering unique degree programs in different areas of interest that are recognized and accepted around the world for their excellence. Some of the top universities in the US are Harvard University, Stanford University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Columbia University, etc. The education is offered through 3 categories of Community Colleges, 4-year Private, and Public Institutions. The US is leading in Research and Development in the world which makes it the most popular country for international scholars. The country spends around 22 billion dollars on research and innovation annually. The credit transfer system ensures greater flexibility in the education system. The US has a high acceptance rate of international students. The Visa acceptance rate is 80%. Several scholarships and bursaries are available to international students along with an option to work part-time in the US for 20 hours a week. The employment rate of international students in the US post-degree completion is 62%.
Top Colleges and Universities in USA
New Haven, Connecticut
New York City, New York
Coral Gables, Florida
Washington, District of Columbia
Salt Lake City, Utah
Here are some articles listed that help you understand the benefits of studying in the USA. These articles guide students in choosing the best universities, entrance exams, scholarships & financial aids, etc. Explore for more related articles!
The US has some of the most high ranking universities in the world. However, studying in the US can be expensive even for domestic students. The full tuition fee for international students is 30-50% more than the domestic tuition fees. The international students will also have to arrange for living expenses which range between $1,000 and $2,000 or more per month. The US offers a wide range of scholarships to its international students to ease some of their financial burdens. The Indian students need to apply before a certain deadline and plan well accordingly.
Eligibility Criteria to Apply for Scholarships:
Apart from a good academic score, the scholarships also depend on the destination, chosen subject, and level of study. Sometimes factors like extracurricular activities, volunteering, and achievements also benefit the students. In some scholarships, only the applications are enough while in research-centric programs, the students have to submit written assignments. The requirements include:
- High School Marks
- Undergraduate Scores
- GRE, GMAT, IELTS, TOEFL Scores
- Scholarship Essay or Statement of Purpose
- Recommendation Letters
Fund Available through Scholarships:
According to the type of program, some of the research programs give 100% of the tuition fee while some cover part of the expenditures. Government scholarships are harder to attain than regular university scholarships. The candidates are suggested to apply for the procedure 8-12 months before the preferred intake. Some of the most popular US scholarships available for Indian students are:
- Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation Scholarships: The students who show exceptional talent in the file of their choice can apply for these scholarships to study in either North America or Europe. They are not available in the fields of engineering, computer science, business studies, medicine, public health, fashion design, music, and film animation. The maximum amount offered is $100,000.
- Tata Scholarships for Cornell University: The Tata education and development trust has partnered with Cornell University to give them $25 million endowments to help the meritorious and underprivileged students from India who wish to study undergraduate courses at Cornell.
- Rotary Foundation Ambassadorial Scholarship: This grant is used to provide scholarships to students in six main subject areas that are peace and conflict prevention/resolution, water and sanitation, maternal and child health, basic education and literacy, economics, and community development. The amount provided is between $15,000 and $30,000.
- The Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program: This scholarship is designed for students from international countries who wish to pursue non-degree graduate study programs in the US to gain practical experience for 10 months. The focus areas for this scholarship are urban and regional planning, HIV/AIDS policy and prevention, economic development, and others. The Minimum amount offered is $15,000, and the maximum is $30,000.
- Reliance Dhirubhai Fellowship Program: This scholarship is awarded to 5 students from India every year. They are provided a grant of $150,000 for a two-year business management course from the Stanford Graduate School of Business.
The USA is known to be the study abroad education hub for students from all over the world to pursue their higher education. It is one of the most sought after countries in the world for higher education for the quality of education it offers and the job opportunities it provides after completing studies. The top universities in the US attract a lot of Indian students through various programs and courses. The US education system is one of its kind and offers a comprehensive education to international students with equal emphasis on practical and theoretical learning.
One of the prerequisites for all international students willing to pursue studies from the US is the Student Visa. The international students are given a visa based on their age and type of study they wish to pursue in the US. The international student should first be accepted by any school/ university under the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP). The international student office of the respective institution then sends the Form I-20 to the student which is the paper record of their information in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) database. Form I-20 is one of the most important documents needed to apply for a student visa.
Visa Options for International Students:
The US Government issues three different student visas such as F1 Visa, J1 Visa, and M1 Visa for international students coming to the US to pursue their higher education.
F1 Visa: The F1 Visa is offered to students pursuing a full-time degree or academic program in the US and is valid for the entire duration of the course of study. It is the most common type of student visa offered to international students. The students with the F1 Visa are allowed for Optional Practical Training (OPT) for up to 12 months after completion of graduation. This gives the students a temporary employment permission to get practical experience in their respective field of study.
J1 Visa: The J1 Visa is an Intern category visa of the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program given to international students and recent graduates for a temporary stay in the US to gain knowledge of US business practice and culture. It is designed with the purpose of taking part in an internship or exchange program and is not for a full-time regular employee.
M1 Visa: The M1 Visa is provided to international students willing to engage in non-academic activities in the US such as vocational study or training at a U.S. institution. The students with an M1 visa for vocational and technical programs are not eligible to work during the course of their studies. Students applying for this visa should have financial proof to cover all the tuition fees and living costs for the duration of the intended stay.
Computers and technology have become an essential part of our everyday life. It is used in various public areas such as the economy, healthcare, transportation, and entertainment. This opens up a wide range of career prospects in the computer science field.
The US has been a leading choice among International students for decades. Its modern technologies, flexible study system, and great specializations make it an ideal haven for the students who wish to make a career in technology.
The MS in Computer Science is usually a one or two year course in US universities. The minimum qualification required for this program would be the completion of a 4-year Bachelor's from a recognized university. Some courses are offered part-time, online, or through distance learning.
Eligibility Criteria to apply for an MS in Computer Science in the USA:
The eligibility criteria for applying to an MS program differ for each university. A 16-year education is a mandatory requirement for all US universities for an MS in computer science. Apart from this, the general henry requirements are :
- GRE/ TOEFL/ IELTS/ GMAT score proofs.
- Recommendation letters
- Work Experience certificate, if applicable.
- Photocopies of Passport
- Certificates of extracurricular activities mentioned in the application form.
Cost for Studying MS in Computer Science in the USA:
The two main expenses that the students have to bear while studying are Tuition fees and living costs.
- Tuition Fees - This cost varies as per the university or the course. On average, the Indian students have to spend $40,000 or INR 29,60,000 for a two year MS program. The scholarships and financial aids provided can help reduce these costs. The students can also opt for an education loan.
- Living Expenses: The living expenses depend on factors such as location, apartment size, number of roommates, and proximity to the university. Generally, MS students spend between $500 to $1100 per month. So for a 2 year MS course, the students will be spending $15,000 (INR 11,10,000) on an average.
Top Universities in the USA to study MS in Computer Science:
Most of the universities are highly rated in terms of higher studies across the whole world. But the top 10 recommended universities to study courses in computer science are:
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- Stanford University
- Harvard University
- Carnegie Mellon University
- The University of California, Berkeley (UCB)
- Princeton University
- The University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
- Georgia Institute of Technology
- Cornell University
- California Institute of Technology (Caltech)
What are the Career Options after an MS in Computer Science?
The students who complete an MS in computer science from a recognized US university will have a wide range of career options available to them in technology. Some of them are:
- IT analyst
- Application programmer
- Database manager
- Computer Network Architect
- Computer Programmer
- Computer Systems Analyst