If you want to pursue a career as a stellar lecturer or professor, the CSIR NET exam is what you should go for. After qualifying NTA CSIR NET, you can get appointed as a professor or lecturer at one of the prestigious Indian universities or institutes. The exam is conducted by the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research and its a national level examination with candidates from across the country. You will have a detailed understanding of the exam once you have gone through this article.
Latest News on CSIR NET 2021
- CSIR NET 2021 Exam Deferred, Check Details Here - Published on April 22, 2021
- April 22, 2021: The CSIR NET 2021 Exam has been deferred due to the alarming rise in COVID-19 cases all over the country. The new dates will be announced once the situation somes under control.
- What is CSIR NET?
- CSIR NET 2021 Exam Date
- CSIR NET 2021 Notification
- CSIR NET 2021 Eligibility
- CSIR NET 2021 Exam Syllabus
- CSIR NET 2021 Reference Books
- CSIR NET 2021 Previous Year Question Papers
- CSIR NET 2021 Exam Pattern
- CSIR NET 2021 Registration
- CSIR NET 2021 Exam Centres
- CSIR NET 2021 Admit Card
- CSIR NET 2021 Result
- CSIR NET 2021 Cut off Marks
- CSIR NET 2021 Salary
- Important Note
- Exam Instructions
- Contact Details
What is CSIR NET?
The Council of Scientific and Industrial Research National Eligibility Test (CSIR NET) is a National Level Entrance Examination conducted to select the eligible candidates for the position of lecturers at colleges and universities, and for awarding the Junior Research Fellowship (JRF).
The Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) is a premier research and development organization in India. It has given the responsibility to conduct a CSIR NET exam to the National Testing Agency (NTA).
It is amongst the world's largest publicly funded research and development organization. CSIR NET 2021 is a National Level Entrance Examination for candidates who have acquired their Bachelor's and Master's degree in streams related to science. Candidates with a Bachelor's degree are only eligible for JRF (Junior Research Fellowship) and not LS (Lectureship). NTA CSIR NET 2021 is conducted twice a year, usually in June and December.
CSIR NET 2021 Exam Highlights
CSIR NET stands for Council of Scientific and Industrial Research - National Eligibility Test and its a national level exam with aspirants across the country. Some of key highlights of the NTA CSIR NET exam has been shared below.
|Exam Name||CSIR NET|
|Full Form||Council of Scientific and Industrial Research - National Eligibility Test|
|Exam Level||National Level|
|Conducting Body||Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, HRDG|
|Mode of Exam||Online i.e. Computer-based Test (CBT)|
|Sessions||Session I - 9:30 AM - 12:30 PM ; Session II 2:30 PM - 5:30 PM|
|Topics||Life Science, Physical Science, Chemical Science, Mathematical Science, and Earth, Atmospheric, Ocean & Planetary Sciences|
|Duration||3 Hours i.e. 180 Minutes|
|Medium||English and Hindi|
CSIR NET vs UGC NET
CSIR NET is only for science streams and it is not just focused on lecturership but also offers a research fellowship called JRF. While UGC NET is only a lectureship qualification exam for all the courses other than science streams.
Candidates who have cleared UGC NET 2021 Exam can be part of the teaching profession and research on several subjects of Humanities (including Indian and some foreign languages), Social Sciences, Computer Science and Applications, Electronic Science, Forensic Science, and Environmental Sciences.
CSIR NET 2021 Exam Date
Candidates should note all the important dates for the CSIR NET 2021 exam given here. The application process for NTA CSIR NET June 2021 will begin in March, 2021 tentatively.
CSIR NET Admit Card for session 2021 will be made available on the official website shortly after the application process winds up. The candidates must note that the admit card has to be downloaded from the official website. It will not be sent to them via post.
The expected dates of the application window are present below.
|Opening of Registration Window||Mid-April 2021|
|Last Date to apply for CSIR NET 2021||To be announced|
|Application Correction Window||To be announced|
|Last date to pay the application fee||To be announced|
|Admit Card Release Date||To be announced|
|CSIR NET 2021 Exam Date||June, 2021|
|Results Declaration for CSIR NET 2021||To be announced|
CSIR NET 2021 Eligibility
Eligibility for CSIR NET exam includes educational qualifications and age limit and the eligibility criteria will also vary from post to post, make sure you check eligibility criteria for the post you are interested in. You can find the CSIR NET Eligibility for each of Education qualification and Age limit below.
SSC CHSL 2021 Educational Qualification
Candidates must have passed BS-MS/ BS-4 years/ BE/ B.Tech/ B.Pharma/ MBBS with minimum 55% marks for General/ OBC category candidates and 50% marks for SC/ ST/ PwD category to be eligible for CSIR NET 2021.
Candidates should have passed B.Sc (Hons) or equivalent degree holders or students enrolled in the Integrated MS-Ph.D. program with a minimum of 55% marks for General/ OBC category candidates and 50% marks for SC/ ST/ PWD category candidates.
Note: Candidates possessing only Bachelor’s degree are eligible to apply only for Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) and not for Lectureship (LS).
CSIR NET 2021 Age Limit
For JRF NET: The candidate must be 28 years as on 1st July 2021 whereas 5 years relaxation for SC/ ST/ PWD/ female applicants and 3 years relaxation for OBC (Non-Creamy Layer) applicants.
For Lectureship NET: No upper age limit.
CSIR NET 2021 Syllabus
Syllabus for CSIR NET 2021 will be focused on 5 branches of the science stream. Topics for Syllabus are as follows:
The streams are Life Science, Physical Science, Chemical Science, Mathematical Science, and Earth, Atmospheric, Ocean & Planetary Sciences. All the streams will consist of different sections which will carry different marks. There will be three sections for each of the streams namely Part A, Part B, and Part C. You have to choose any one of the streams to take the exam. The subject-wise syllabus of the CSIR NET 2021 Exam is stated below.
- Organic Chemistry
- Inorganic Chemistry
- Physical Chemistry
- Medicinal Chemistry
- Environmental Chemistry
- Supermolecular Chemistry
- Green Chemistry
- Chemistry in Nanoscience and Technology
Earth Science is a part of Paper-1 and it consists of two sections such as Section-B and section-C. The CSIR NET 2021 Syllabus of both sections is given below.
Earth Science: Part-B
- Oceans and Atmosphere
- The Earth and Solar System
- Interior of Earth, Deformation, and Tectonics
- Earth Materials, Surface Features, and Processes
- Environmental Earth Sciences
Earth Sciences: Part-C
All the topics mentioned below are part of Geology under the Earth Sciences.
- Mineralogy and Petrology
- Marine Geology and Paleoceanography
- Quarternary Geology
- Economic Geology
- Palaeontology and its Applications
- Physical Geography
- Structural Geology and Geotectonics
- Precambrian Geology and Crustal Evolution
- Sedimentology and Stratigraphy
- Developmental Biology
- Molecules and their Interaction Relevant to Biology
- Fundamental Processes
- Diversity of Life Forms
- Methods in Biology
- Evolution and Behavior
- Cellular Organization
- System Physiology – Plant
- Cellular Organization
- Inheritance Biology
- Ecological Principles
- Applied Biology
- Electromagnetic Theory
- Classical Mechanics
- Quantum Mechanics
- Mathematical Methods in Physics
- Thermodynamic and Statistical Physics
- Electronics and Experimental Methods
- Linear Algebra
- Linear Integral Equations
- Partial Differential Equations
- Calculus of Variations
- Classical Mechanics
- Complex Analysis
- Ordinary Differential Equations
- Numerical Analysis
- Descriptive Statistics
- Exploratory Data Analysis
Note: Exam Scheme for Chemical Sciences has been revised from June 2017 CSIR NET onwards. NET exam question papers with answer keys pdf files are available on our website.
CSIR NET 2021 Reference Books
In order to clear the NTA CSIR NET, 2021 Exam candidates must study thoroughly and they can do that with the best reference books. Some of them are the following.
CSIR NET 2021 Chemical Science Books
- Physical Chemistry by Samuel Glasstone
- Infrared and Raman spectra of inorganic and coordination compounds by Nakamoto
- Physical Chemistry by Mortimer
- Biological inorganic chemistry: structure and reactivity by Ivano Bertini
- Pearson Guide to UGC-CSIR-Chemical Sciences by Sanjay Singh Rawal
- Chemistry of the Elements by N.N Greenwood and A. Earnshaw
- Inorganic Chemistry by Gary Wulfsberg
CSIR NET 2021 Physical Science Books
- CSIR-UGC NET/JRF/SET Physical Sciences by Dr. Surekha Tomar
- UGC CSIR JRF/NET Physical Sciences by Sunil Kushwaha
- UGC-CSIR NET (JRF & LS) Physical Science by W.Malemnganba Chenglei
- UGC CSIR JRF/NET Physical Sciences bu GKP
CSIR NET 2021 Mathematical Science
- Mathematical Sciences for UGC-CSIR Junior Research Fellowship & Eligibility for Lectureship by Prasad
- Mathematical Science Manual CSIR UGC/NET/SLET & Lectureship – Jupiter by Renu Sharma, Awadhesh Kumar Mishra
- NET Mathematical Sciences – Vol. 2 UGC CSIR by Satya Prakashan
- UGC-CSIR NET (JRF & LS) Mathematical Science by Pawan Sharma, Anshuman, Suraj Singh
- CSIR-UGC NET/JRF/SET MATHEMATICAL SCIENCES by Alok Kumar (Upkar)
CSIR NET 2021 Previous Year Question Paper
The Council of Scientific and Industrial Research organizes a national level entrance test called CSIR NET 2021 Exam. Candidates wishing to pursue a career as a lecturer or a professor have to qualify the NTA CSIR NET 2021 Exam. After going through all the CSIR NET 2021 Syllabus and practicing all the questions from all the topics, appearing candidates can opt to solve CSIR NET 2021 Previous Year Question Papers. Solving old question papers of the CSIR NET 2021 Exam will help them prepare for the actual exam as it will expose the candidates to paper pattern and type of questions asked in the exam. To get NTA CSIR NET 2021 Previous Year Question Papers of every subject click here.
CSIR NET 2021 Exam Pattern
NTA laid down certain guidelines or patterns based on which CSIR NET 2021 will be conducted. CSIR NET 2021 will be conducted through Online i.e. Computer-based Tests (CBT). The question paper will be of objective type i.e. Multiple Choice Question (MCQs).
|Mode of Examination||Online mode or CBT (Computer Based Test)|
|Number Of sections||3 Sections: Part A, Part B, and Part C|
|Time Allotted||Three Hours or 180 Minutes|
|Mediums||English and Hindi|
|Number of Sessions||Two (Morning Shift and Afternoon Shift)|
There are various subjects for CSIR NET 2021 Exam and each of them has a different marking scheme. There is negative marking and each subject has a different deduction of marks. For more details about the CSIR NET 2021 visit CSIR NET Exam Pattern.
CSIR NET 2021 Registration
Application Form for CSIR NET 2021 will be available on the official website i.e. csirhrdg.res.in from March, 2021. The candidates will have to pay the application fee by the last week of April, 2021.
CSIR NET 2021 Application Process
The steps to complete the CSIR NET 2021 application form are -
- Visit the official site of CSIR NET, csirnet.nta.nic.in
- Click on the Application Link.
- Click on the New Registration button.
- Read the instruction carefully and then click on the 'Click here to Proceed' Button after which the Registration form shall open.
- Create a password, a security question, and a security answer for the same.
- Enter the security pin that will display on the screen and click on the submit button.
- Verify the details entered and click on the checkboxes at the end of the page.
- Upload the photo, signature.
- Click on the Final Submit button.
- Candidates should not forget to take the print-out of the application form, for any future references.
Candidates have to choose the paper of their choice (in which you have a master's/want to pursue research) while filling the CSIR NET 2021 Application Form online. Even though the question papers are available in two languages, if you want to take the exam in Hindi medium, you have to opt for it in the application form itself. Only then you will be given a bilingual Test Booklet and if you opt for English medium then you will be given Test Booklet printed in English Version only.
While filling the CSIR NET 2021 Application form, you need to upload the scanned documents such as Signature, Photograph, Left Thumb Impression, make sure the scanned documents are in ".jpg" or ".jpeg" format. The photograph size of the candidate must be not less than 10 KB and not more than 200 KB. The size of the signature must not be less than 4 KB and not more than 30 KB. The other documents will also need to be between the sizes of 50 or 100 KB to 300 KB or in some cases 500 KB.
Candidates have to pay the following Registration Fee via online mode through Credit Card, Debit Card, or Net Banking.
|OBC (Non-Creamy Layer)||INR 500|
|PwD (Person with Disability)||-|
Note: The candidates who are physically challenged are exempted from paying the CSIR NET 2021 fees.
CSIR NET 2021 Application Correction Window
The steps to be followed while correcting the application for CSIR NET 2021 through the application correction window are-
- Visit the official website of the CSIR NET 2021 exam.
- Go to the bottom of the page and click on the "application form correction tab".
- Login using all the login credentials such as name or application, password.
- Click on the ‘I Agree’ after carefully reading all the instructions.
- Change or Edit all the details that require to be changed or corrected in the CSIR NET 2021 Application form.
- Click on the "Submit"
- Carefully check all the corrections made.
- Click on the checkbox under the ‘Parameters checklist to be verified’ header.
- After that, click on the Final Submit button.
The candidate can either take a print out of the corrected form or download it. All candidates must make all the necessary corrections before the given date as it is a one-time facility and no requests to correct the CSIR NET 2021 Application form after the last date shall be entertained.
CSIR NET 2021 Exam Centres
CSIR NET 2021 will be conducted in more than 224 cities across India. Candidates have to choose an exam centre of their convenience while filling the Application Form. The allotment of the exam city would be as per the order of preference clicked by the applicant during online registration on a first-come-first-served basis. If your first choice of city is unavailable then the next one will be allocated to you. Check the list of CSIR NET exam centres.
CSIR NET 2021 Admit Card
CSIR NET 2021 Admit Card will be released on the official NTA website in the first week of June, 2021. Candidates can download it by entering their credentials. Candidates will not be allowed to appear for the exam unless he/she produces the valid hall ticket at the exam centre, along with ID proof in original and a self-attested photocopy of the same.
How to download CSIR NET 2021 Admit Card?
The CSIR NET Admit card will be release just before the exam and all eligible candidates will be able to download the admit card from the official website. Below are some of the simple steps one can follow to download the admit card.
- Go to the official website of the conducting authority. The website has been mentioned above.
- Now look for a "CSIR NET 2021 Admit Card" link.
- Click on the admit card link and the candidate will be redirected to a new screen.
- On the screen, the candidate will have to enter his/her application number, date of birth, and security code displayed on the screen.
- After entering all the details, hit "Login".
- CSIR NET 2021 Admit Card will be displayed on the screen which the candidate can download and print for future references.
Note: The CSIR NET 2021 Admit Card will not be sent through post for any of the candidates by NTA, candidates should download by themselves from the official website.
CSIR NET 2021 Results
CSIR NET 2021 Result is declared on the official website for all the candidates on Aug 6, 2021. There will be two separate merit lists, one comprising of candidates qualifying for the award of Junior Research Fellowship (JRF-NET) and the second, for those candidates qualifying the Eligibility Test for Lectureship (LS-NET), are made available based on their performance in the above Test. The applicants declared eligible for Junior Research Fellowship under the UGC scheme and Lecturership will be governed by UGC rules/regulations in this regard.
The CSIR NET 2021 answer key and question paper (previous year) will be released by the NTA after the CSIR NET 2021 examination has been conducted successfully. Candidates can check their answers, and can get a rough idea of what their scores will be and if they will qualify to proceed onto the final rounds of Interview and JRF award.
How to check the CSIR NET Result?
The CSIR NET result will be released online on the official website, candidates will be able to check their results once its released. Follow below-mentioned steps to check the results.
- Visit the official website of the CSIR NET exam.
- There will be a "Result" link on the website. Click on the same.
- Applicants will be asked to enter their credentials like application number, password, or date of birth, and security code.
- After entering all the information, click the "Submit" button.
- Now candidates can view and download the CSIR NET Result.
- Candidates are advised to print the CSIR NET Result for future reference.
Details on the CSIR NET Result
The CSIR NET Result will have personal details, total marks, and qualifying marks of the candidate. After the merit list released, applicants can check their names. The scorecard will be available on the official website later. Candidates can download the scorecard. The following are the details mentioned on the CSIR NET Result.
- Name of the candidate
- Application number
- Roll number
- Name of the candidate
- Subject code
- Exam qualifying status
- Total marks
- Paper-wise marks
- Total percentage
- Paper-wise percentage
CSIR NET 2021 Cut off
The qualifying cut off for CSIR NET will be released by NTA. Cut-offs for JRFs and LS are different for each category. 33% for General and OBC and 25% for SC/ST and PWD category is a minimum criterion provided for Junior Research Fellowship and Lectureship.
CSIR NET 2021 Salary
The CSIR NET 2021 allows candidates who have cleared it to join for various posts such as professors of colleges and universities, research fellowship, Assistant professors, etc.
- CSIR gives a stipend of INR 31,000 for Junior Research Fellows along with House Rent Allowance (HRA) for the first three years of PhD and INR 35,000 for Senior Research fellowship Fellows along with HRA for the next two years.
- For Assistant Professor, the salary ranges from INR 40,000 to INR 60,000 at different colleges and universities throughout the country.
- The DRDO offers the best salary for the CSIR NET 2021 qualified candidates to work as scientists. The Salary Structure for each category of Scientist is given on the table below-
Category Salary Scientist 'B' INR 15,600-39,100 Scientist ‘C’ INR 15,600-39,100 Scientist 'D' INR 15,600-39,100 Scientist 'E' INR 37,400-67,000 Scientist 'F' INR 37,400-67,000 Scientist 'G' INR 37,400-67,000 Scientist 'H' INR 67000-79,000 Distinguished Scientist INR 75,500-80,000 Secretary DRDO, DG R&D, and Scientific Adviser to Raksha Mantri (SA to RM) INR 80,000
- The DRDO offers the best salary for the CSIR NET 2021 qualified candidates to work as scientists. The Salary Structure for each category of Scientist is given on the table below-
Important Note for CSIR NET 2021 Exam
- Candidates are required to bring a photo identity card such as a voter ID Card/ PAN Card/ Driving License / Adhaar Card/ Photo ID Card issued PSU/ Central/ State Govt./ ID Card issued by University/ College, along with a printout/hard copy of their e-Admit Card on the day of examination.
- While applying for this exam, please ensure that you fulfill all the eligibility conditions and follow all the laid down procedures/guidelines for this test.
- The facility for downloading e-Admit Cards to the registered candidates will be provided on NTA's website. E-Admit Card will not be sent by post. There will be no duplicate e-Admit card shall be issued to the candidates at the Exam Centre.
- The actual number of questions in each part and sections to be asked and attempted may vary from subject to subject. A candidate should submit only one application. If in case a candidate submits more than one application, only the latter/last application will be considered.
- Candidate should exercise due care while filling up the application form. In case of any error from the candidate's side, he/she will be held solely responsible for any loss suffered by him/her.
- No candidate will be permitted to leave the Exam Hall before the expiry of 3 hours from the start of the exam.
General Instructions for CSIR NET 2021
- Candidates are advised to go through the Information Bulletin and future notification(s) including terms & conditions given/uploaded on the official website for this test. Candidates must satisfy their eligibility criteria for this test before applying for this test.
- Candidates must read the terms and conditions for CSIR/UGC Research Fellowships/Lecturership on official websites of CSIR and UGC.
- Submission of Online Application is mandatory. Hard copies of the application form won't be entertained by CSIR.
- Application Form must be complete in all respect.
- The center and date of the Exam are liable to be changed at the discretion of CSIR. No TA/DA will be paid to the candidates by CSIR.
- No candidate will be admitted to the Test unless he/she brings the e-Admit Card to the Test Venue. The mere fact that an e-Admit Card has been issued to a candidate will not imply that NTA has finally accepted his/her candidature. Candidates e-Admit Card particulars/photo and signature should be similar to the actual candidate who is to appear in the exam, otherwise, he/she shall not be allowed to appear in the exam.
- The applicants should note that their candidature is strictly provisional till their joining. Please note that no correspondence will be entertained for any matter for which the last date has expired.
- In all matters, the decision of the NTA as to the eligibility or otherwise of a candidate for admission to the Test or his/her subsequent qualifying in the Test shall be final.
- Any attempt on the part of a candidate to obtain support for his/ her candidature by any means may disqualify him/her for admission to the examination.
- The applicant who is found guilty of impersonation or of submitting fabricated documents or documents which have been tampered with or of making statements which are incorrect or false or of suppressing material information or otherwise resorting to any other irregular or improper means for obtaining admission to the examination, or of using or attempting to use unfair means to attempt the exam or misbehaviour
- In the examination hall, shall, in addition to rendering himself liable to criminal prosecution, be debarred by NTA from this test and future tests as well.
- All disputes about the NET Examination shall fall within the jurisdiction of Delhi only. The printout of the online application form should be kept by the candidate for future reference.
- Candidates are required to bring a photo identity card also along with their printout of online e-Admit Card on the day of examination. No candidate will be allowed to appear in the examination whose e-admit card is not issued by NTA.
Address: Head, Human Resource Development Group, CSIR Complex, Library Avenue, Pusa, New Delhi, Pincode - 110 012, India.
Email: [email protected]
Fax: 011–2584 0887.
EPABX Lines: 011–25841582, 25841492, 25842493, 25841701, 25842729.
Meanwhile, if the candidates have any queries regarding the exam they can contact 8287471852, 8178359845, 9650173668, 9599676953, 8882356803.
What is the difference between UGC NET and CSIR NET?
The main difference between UGC NET and CSIR NET is that UGC NET is conducted for students applying for lectureship or a research fellowship in subjects such as Arts, Commerce, Humanity sciences, etc whereas CSIR NET is for a lectureship or a research fellowship in science subjects.
What is the maximum age limit for the CSIR NET?
The maximum age limit for the CSIR NET JRF exam is 28 years of age in the year of writing the exam whereas the lectureship exam does not have any upper age limit for candidates who want to apply.
Who can apply for the CSIR NET?
Any individual or candidate who has successfully completed M.Sc, Integrated B.Sc+M.Sc, B.Tech, B.E, (B-, D-, or M-)Pharma, MBBS.
What are the subjects in the CSIR NET exam?
The syllabus for the exam will consist of subjects such as Chemical Sciences, Earth Sciences, Life Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, Physical Sciences.
What are the documents required for filling up the CSIR NET exam?
Passport-sized photograph and signature in JPEG format. Marksheet of qualifying degree. Category certificate. (If Applicable) PwD certificate. (If Applicable) Any identification proof such as Aadhar card or Voter ID.
Is there negative marking for the CSIR NET?
Yes, there is a negative marking for every incorrect response. The percentage of negative marking is different for each section.
How do I get the CSIR NET certificate?
The CSIR NET certificate is awarded only to the individuals who have qualified the exam. After the declaration of results, the qualified candidates are required to send self-attested copies of their documents so that their educational eligibility can be verified and the UGC will send them their certificates on behalf of the CSIR
What is the mode of the examination and the time allotted to complete it?
The CSIR NET is an online examination or Computer-Based Test (CBT). The time allotted to candidates to complete the test or the exam is 180 minutes or three hours.
What is the purpose of CSIR NET?
The CSIR NET is conducted to select candidates for the JRF or Junior Research Fellowship and to appoint lecturers who are eligible for Indian Universities and Colleges.
What is the official website for CSIR NET and is there a help line number?
The official website for CSIR NET is csirnet.nta.nic.in and Yes, there is a help line number which the candidates can call in case of any queries or trouble, 0120-6895200.