IELTS exam is used to assess the candidate's ability to communicate in English. The test is essential for individuals pursuing higher education or working in different countries like UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc. It is either conducted by International Development Program Education(IDP IELTS) or by the British Council(IELTS BC)
- According to the latest news on the IELTS Official Website, testing will continue in India with strict safety measures being followed as per COVID-19 Safety Guidelines.
- The IELTS exam fee has been changed from INR 13,250 to INR 14,000.
Due to the COVID 19 outbreak, the conducting authority has launched online support which is an IELTS Indicator test, where candidates who planned to take the test this year can write the exam at home. The IELTS Indicator is an online test which helps candidates to practice English Papers. It evaluates the English language skills of the students in reading, writing, listening and speaking.
There is also a timer on these online tests for each section. For the speaking test, a video call will be held.
- What is IELTS?
- IELTS 2020 Exam Dates
- IELTS 2020 Eligibility Criteria
- IELTS 2020 Syllabus
- IELTS 2020 Exam Pattern
- IELTS 2020 Registration
- IELTS 2020 Exam Centres in India
- IELTS 2020 Results
- IELTS 2020 Cutoffs
- IELTS 2020 Preparation Tips
- Difference between TOEFL and IELTS
- Related Exams
The IELTS exam consists of four stages which are listening, reading, writing, and speaking. You can understand the selection procedure, preparation tips, and everything related to the IELTS exam in this article.
What is IELTS?
IELTS stands for International English Language Testing System. IELTS exam is used to test the Language proficiency of non-native English speakers in the English Language.
|Exam Name||International English Language Testing System|
|Conducting Body||IDP: Australia, Cambridge Assessment English, and British Council.|
|Accepted for||Work, Academic and Immigration Purposes|
|Mode||Computer-delivered and Paper delivered mode|
|Duration||2 hours and 45 Minutes|
It is also known as IDP IELTS or IELTS BC depending on the conducting authority. As the name suggests, the IDP IELTS is conducted by IDP(International Development Program) Education, and IELTS BC is conducted by the British Council. As far as the exam is concerned, both the exams are more or less the same.
The IELTS 2020 exam has two types which are the Academic Test and General Training test.
- Academic Exam: This test is for those people who want to pursue higher education at the undergraduate or postgraduate level. Candidates who want to work in an Organisation or Companies which are located in an English speaking country can also take this test.
- General Training Exam: General Training Exam is for those people who want to pursue secondary education or to work in an organization in an English speaking country. This test is also essential for migrational purposes for Australia, UK, Canada, and New Zealand.
Focus skills: IELTS 2020 exam focuses on testing the English Language Proficiency of candidates. Hence the exam focuses on four basic skills which are listening, reading, writing, and speaking.
- In the IELTS 2020 Listening test, the candidate has to listen to four recordings in English and answer the questions based on them.
- The IELTS 2020 Writing test includes essay writing and a short paragraph explaining a particular scenario or a diagram.
- In the IELTS 2020 Reading test, the candidate is required to answer the questions based on the paragraph given.
- Finally, the IELTS 2020 Speaking part involves an interview, a speech, and a Discussion on any random topic.
Mode: IELTS 2020 exam can be given online as well as Offline.
IELTS 2020 Exam Dates
IELTS 2020 exam will take place 4 times in a given year. There are 48 fixed dates during which the IELTS 2020 exam will take place. IELTS 2020 Exam Dates are also dependent on the number of students attempting the exam. This means that if there are fewer candidates, certain dates of the exam may be canceled. Also, there are two variants of the test:
- IELTS 2020 Academic: The Academic version is available on all 48 dates
- IELTS 2020 General Training: General Training Module will take place only on 24 dates.
The test generally takes place on Thursdays and Saturdays to make it convenient for the candidate. For more information, visit the IELTS 2020 official website ielts.org.
Dates for LRW
The exam dates will vary for IELTS 2020 Listening, Reading, and Writing (LRW) will take place on the same day but the Speaking Test will take place either before or after 7 days of the LRW tests. The test date will vary based on the city in which you want to take the IELTS test.
IELTS 2020 Eligibility Criteria
Given below is the gist of the eligibility criteria set by the British Council and IDP for the IELTS 2020 Exam:
- Higher Secondary Education: According to the guidelines set by conducting authorities for both tests, it is clear that candidates should at least have completed Class 12 or an equivalent examination.
- Undergraduate or Higher Secondary Education: Candidates who have completed Class 12 or its equivalent can apply for undergraduate courses through IELTS Academic Test. If candidates are applying for postgraduate courses, then they must at least have their undergraduate degree. They are also required to apply for IELTS Academic.
- Applying candidates should be at least 17 years of age. This age limit is for an undergraduate course. Age limits may vary for universities. So before applying to any University, candidates should check eligibility requirements set by the University.
- All applying candidates should have a valid passport.
NOTE: It is the responsibility of the candidate to understand the eligibility requirements of the University they are applying to and accordingly decide when and which IELTS Test they must take. IDP or the British Council will not be taking care of this aspect. Further, listed below are scenarios that would require you to take the IELTS 2020 Exam:
- Planning to emigrate to Australia/ Canada/ New Zealand.
- Planning to work in Australia/ UK/ USA.
- Planning to study in Australia/ Canada/ New Zealand/ UK/ USA.
IELTS 2020 Syllabus
IELTS is used by Universities and Companies across the world to assess the English Language Proficiency of candidates. This is because conducting authorities try and test what university and companies are looking for, which is "English Language Proficiency". This exam doesn't have a prescribed syllabus. Candidates can look at the IELTS 2020 exam pattern to understand the exam and prepare well. Topics like Basic Grammar, Reading Comprehension, Writing can be useful scoring points. As such, the conducting authorities send comprehensive study material to the candidate at their chosen address once they apply for the Exam. Going through these books and CDs a few weeks before the exam will give an idea about the kind of questions or topics that will be part of the test.
IELTS 2020 Exam Pattern
The IELTS 2020 Exam Pattern may seem daunting at first glance. Given below are the highlights that will help a candidate understand the process better:
- The duration of the IELTS 2020 exam is for 2 hours and 45 minutes.
- IELTS 2020 follows a four test pattern in the exam. It includes the IELTS 2020 Speaking Test, IELTS 2020 Reading Test, IELTS 2020 Writing test, and IELTS 2020 Listening test. This exam can be taken on Paper or Online.
- Paper-based Test: In this mode of the test, candidates have to sit at a desk in the official exam and answer sheets for 3 tests except for Speaking Test.
- Computer-Delivered Test: In this mode of the test, the candidate is required to sit the reading, listening, and writing test in front of a computer and attend them.
- Speaking Test: This test will be conducted by IELTS trained Examiner face-to-face with the candidate.
- Types of IELTS Exams: There are 2 types of IELTS 2020 Exams- Academic Test and General Training Test. Both Academic and General Training have the same pattern for Listening and Speaking. A candidate's choice to attempt Academic or General depends on the reason for which they are taking the IELTS 2020 Exam. For instance, to apply to universities in the UK, the IELTS Academic Test is ideal.
|Academic Reading||40||60 min|
|General Training Reading||40||60 min|
|General Training Writing||
Task 1 - 150 words
Task 2 - 250 words
Task 1 - 150 words
Task 2 - 250 words
Task Types in IELTS 2020 Exam
Before looking at the pattern for each of the 4 types, it is important to understand that the IELTS Exam gives the candidate different tasks in the exams. There will be 6 types of tasks in the IELTS 2020 Exam across four different sections. All these six tasks along with their descriptions are given in the table below:
|Type 1||Type 2||Type 3||Type 4||Type 5||Type 6|
|Multiple Choice||Matching||Plan, map, diagram labelling||Form, note, table, flow-chart, summary||Sentence Completion||Short-answer questions|
|Choose one or sometimes more than one answer.||Match the numbered list of items.||Candidates have to select the answer from a list on the question paper.||Candidates are required to select their answers from a list on the question paper or identify the missing words from the recording select their answers from a list on the question paper or identify the missing words from the recording||Candidates are supposed to fill a gap in each sentence using information from the listening text.||Write a short answer using the listening text.|
IELTS 2020 Listening
Candidates will have to listen to four recordings of native English speakers. After listening to the recording, candidates are supposed to write the answers to a series of questions.
|Recording 1||A conversation between two people||Everyday social|
|Recording 2||A Monologue||Everyday social|
|Recording 3||A conversation between four people||Educational or Training|
|Recording 4||A Monologue||Academic|
Details for IELTS 2020 Listening Test is given the table below:
|IELTS Listening Test Exam Pattern|
|No. of Questions||4 * 10 = 40|
|Marks||1 mark for every correct answer|
Note: All answer sheets, after being marked, are further analysed according to Cambridge Assessment English. Poor spelling and grammar mistakes will be penalised. The purpose of the test is to assess the comprehension abilities of a candidate by merely listening to a conversation.
IELTS 2020 Speaking
IELTS 2020 Speaking Test assesses how candidates speak and whether he/she can communicate one's idea. All tests are recorded by conducting authorities. Details of the IELTS 2020 Speaking Test is given below:
|IELTS 2020 Speaking Test Exam Pattern|
|Number of Parts||3|
|Part 1||Introduction and Interview|
|Part 2||Long Turn|
IELTS 2020 Reading Test
IELTS 2020 Reading Test is designed in such a way that it will test a variety of reading skills. The reading skills which are tested are Reading for gist, reading for detail, skimming, reading for main ideas, understanding the logical argument, and recognising writers' attitudes, opinions, and their purpose.
IELTS 2020 Reading Test for Academic Test
In the Academic test, candidates have to read three long texts. These texts may vary from discursive and analytical to descriptive and factual. Texts are extracts from newspapers, books, magazines, and journals. Details for Academic Reading in IELTS Reading Test are given in the table below:
|IELTS Reading Test: Academic Test Exam Pattern|
|No. of Questions||40|
|No. of Marks||1 * 40 = 40|
IELTS 2020 Reading Test for General Training
In the IELTS 2020 General test, the text will be extracted from materials which you are likely to encounter daily in an English-speaking environment. The text will be taken from books, magazines, notices, company handbooks, newspapers, advertisements, and guidelines. The details of the IELTS Reading Test for General Test are given below.
|IELTS Reading Test: General Training Test Exam Pattern|
|No. of sections||3|
|No. of Questions||40|
|No. of Marks||1 * 40 = 40|
IELTS 2020 Writing Test
Just like reading test IELTS 2020 Writing test is different for Academic Test and General Test. Details for these tests are given below.
IELTS 2020 Academic Writing
In the IELTS 2020 Writing Test of Academic test, candidates have to write about topics of general interests. These are suitable for candidates who are entering postgraduate, undergraduate, or seeking professional registration. IELTS Writing Test pattern for Academic test is given below:
|IELTS 2020 Writing Test: Academic Test Exam Pattern|
|Number of Tasks||2|
|Task 1||Describe the visual information|
|Task 2||Respond to a point of view or an argument or a problem|
IELTS 2020 General Training Writing
In the General Training Test, contents are of general interest that candidates can come across. IELTS 2020 Writing Test pattern is given below.
|IELTS Writing Test: General Training Test Exam Pattern|
|No. of Questions||2|
|No. of Tasks||2|
|Task 1 Assessed on||
|Task 2 Assessed on||
IELTS 2020 Registration
Candidates aspiring to apply for the IELTS 2020 exam can follow either of the two methods - visiting the nearest IDP branch or by applying Online.
How to apply for IELTS 2020?
- Visit the official website.
- Then click on ‘Register for the Test’.
- Now select the preferred test - computer-delivered IELTS/ paper-based (IELTS, IELTS for UKVI or Life Skills).
- After this select the test type/module - Academic or General Training for IELTS, IELTS for UKVI, A1, and B1 for Life Skills.
- Then you can choose the test location or city from the available centres given on the list.
- Once done this step you will find all the dates available. From that, you can choose a preferred date and slot (timing).
- Fill the other details on the application and complete it. During this process, you have to upload a clear passport size photograph.
- Finally, pay the application fee.
- After this, you will get an acknowledgement message to your mail or phone number.
For speaking you can book a date and slot that is based on your convenience. If you fail to book then automatically a date will be allotted for speaking.
Documents Required for IELTS 2020 Online Registration
A candidate is expected to courier the following documents to the address given below.
- Photocopy of your passport (first and last page) and other observation pages if any.
- Printout of the final page that appears after filling form and payment.
Global Gateway Towers, Tower-B, 5th Floor, Sikanderpur Ghosi, Sector-26, M.G. Road, Gurugram -122002, Haryana, India Tel: +91-124-4445999
IELTS 2020 Offline Registration
If you do not apply online you can visit the nearest IDP IELTS Branch or Referral Partner and get the registration done. You have to carry the photocopy of your Passport ID (front and back page) signed and dated declaration document.
IELTS 2020 Application Form Fee
Candidates aspiring to take the IELTS 2020 exam must pay the application fee to complete the online registration process. The fee is INR 14,000 for the regular IELTS exam. But the fee will vary for IELTS for UKVI and Life Skills.
Applicants can pay the IELTS form fee by depositing via various modes of payment such as debit or credit card (Master or Visa), net banking, DD, or bank deposit in ICCI or Allahabad Bank branches via customised deposit slip.
IELTS 2020 Exam Centres in India
There are three conducting bodies for IELTS 2020 , IDP: Australia, British Council, and Cambridge English Assessment across the world. But, IDP and British Council conduct IELTS in India in 78 locations out of which 40 belongs to British Council and 30 to IDP. Various IDP Centres along with their city is given in the table below:
|Ahmedabad||British Council test location IDP Education|
|Amritsar||IDP Education British Council test location|
|Anand||IDP Education British Council test location|
|Angamaly||IDP Education British Council test location|
|Bengaluru||IDP Education British Council test location|
|Bhatinda||IDP Education British Council test location|
|Bhopal||IDP Education British Council test location|
|Bhubaneshwar||British Council test location|
|Calicut||IDP Education British Council test location|
|Chandigarh||IDP Education British Council test location|
|Chennai||IDP Education British Council test location|
|Coimbatore||IDP Education British Council test location|
|Goa||British Council test location|
|Gurgaon||IDP Education British Council test location|
|Guwahati||British Council test location|
|Hyderabad||IDP Education British Council test location|
|Jaipur||IDP Education British Council test location|
|Jalandhar||IDP Education British Council test location|
|Kochi||IDP Education British Council test location|
|Kolkata||IDP Education British Council test location|
|Kottayam||IDP Education British Council test location|
|Lucknow||British Council test location|
|Ludhiana||IDP Education British Council test location|
|Madurai||IDP Education British Council test location|
|Mehsana||IDP Education British Council test location|
|Moga||IDP Education British Council test location|
|Mumbai||IDP Education British Council test location|
|Navi Mumbai||IDP Education British Council test location|
|New Delhi||IDP Education British Council test location|
|Noida||IDP Education British Council test location|
|Patiala||IDP Education British Council test location|
|Patna||British Council test location|
|Pune||IDP Education British Council test location|
|Raipur||British Council test location|
|Rajkot||IDP Education British Council test location|
|Ranchi||British Council test location|
|Rudrapur||IDP Education British Council test location|
|Siliguri||British Council test location|
|Surat||IDP Education British Council test location|
|Thrissur||British Council test location|
|Tiruchirappalli||IDP Education British Council test location|
|Trivandrum||IDP Education British Council test location|
|Vadodara||IDP Education British Council test location|
|Vijayawada||IDP Education British Council test location|
|Vizag||IDP Education British Council test location|
- Candidates have to bring Passport or any National Identity Document to the IELTS exam centre on the day of the examination.
- Name on the Identity Document should be the same as the name of the candidate entered during IELTS registration.
IELTS 2020 Results
The corresponding test centre will declare the IELTS 2020 Results 13 days after the test date. Remember that 13 days after the test date will mean 13 days after the last test attempted. After the Result is declared, candidates will receive the test results in the form of a Test Report Form. If any irregularity in terms of documents is found, the candidate's test results will be cancelled. Candidates can access the work i.e. answer sheets of their tests.
How to download IELTS 2020 Results?
The step-by-step procedure to download the IELTS 2020 Results is provided below:
- Step 1: Visit the official website.
- Step 2: In the notification section, click on 'Results'.
- Step 3: Login using passport number and date of birth.
- Step 4: Enter the identification document number.
- Step 5: Furnish more details such as Candidate number, Date of IELTS exam, and Date of birth.
- Step 6: IELTS Score will be displayed on the screen.
IELTS 2020 Cutoffs
IELTS composite scores range from 1 to 9 (“non-user” to “expert”). There is no specific IELTS Cutoff mark. In fact, cutoffs for IELTS scores are determined by the university that a candidate is applying to. A score above 6 in the IELTS Exam is considered good. Generally, students in India have IELTS scores that range between 7-8.5.
IELTS 2020 Band Score
Candidates can go through the below band score for each skill level :
Very good user
Extremely limited user
Did not attempt the test
IELTS 2020 Preparation Tips
While there are prefered books and materials for IELTS 2020 candidates are also advised to increase their English language proficiency. This can be done along with preparation by
- Reading English newspapers, journals, and magazines.
- Listening to News on National TV channels of the UK and the USA.
- Preparing for the exam by reading IELTS reference books.
- Practicing writing with a timer.
- Focusing on the pronunciation of words.
- Taking mock tests online and evaluating.
- Learning new words every day and trying to use it in conversations
- Among other preparation methods, trying to increase their vocabulary.
Difference between TOEFL and IELTS
It is important to know that both TOEFL and IELTS are standardised tests so whichever test you decide to take, with some preparation and coaching, it will be easy to score well in. The differences between TOEFL and IELTS are listed below:
- Universities globally use the TOEFL Score to measure Candidates' English Language Ability. Universities demand a TOEFL score for non-native English language speakers.
- While only Universities use TOEFL Score, IELTS score is used for Universities and Professional organisations and sometimes for Immigration Purposes.
Why IELTS 2020 may benefit you-
The Examiner will be looking for evidence of your ability to understand the main ideas and detailed factual information, the opinions and attitudes of speakers, the purpose of an utterance, and evidence of your ability to follow the development of ideas.
Taking IELTS opens doors – it can help you live, study, and work around the world. More than 9,000 organisations in 140 countries accept IELTS, including government, academic and employment institutions. Upon following these steps, you will be easily complete the IELTS registration.
IELTS is the only English language test accepted for immigration purposes by all countries that require one.
If you are applying for a visa to move to or stay in the UK, IELTS is on the list of approved secure English Language Tests.
Which one to opt for?
When you start applying for universities, you will come to know which scores are accepted in those universities. Usually, TOEFL is accepted in universities of the United States America and Canada among other countries. IELTS is accepted in European Universities and Organisations among other Commonwealth Countries. Once you are provisionally admitted to the university, you will be asked to take any one of these tests.
Sometimes universities accept both test scores. If you are in such a situation, you can look at the following factors to decide which exam to take.
- If you are comfortable with US English Rules, then take TOEFL. Else if you are comfortable in the UK English Rules, then take IELTS.
- If the duration is a factor then TOEFL is a relatively long process than IELTS. It will take longer to complete the test and take your scores.
- If you are applying for immigration, then it is recommended that you take the IELTS General version. It is easier than IELTS Academic and TOEFL.
This said both exams are only valid for 2 years.