GRE Exam 2023 notification will be released soon by the conducting authorities on the official website. GRE Exam is an assessment exam accepted by over 1000 b-schools around the world. Candidates who are planning to pursue master's and graduation studies can achieve this by bagging admission to one of the top colleges through GRE.
Unlike other entrance exams in India, the online GRE Test happens around the year at more than 1,000 Prometric test centres in more than 160 countries. So GRE dates vary relative to the application time and GRE Exam dates. The GRE authorities. ETS (Educational Testing Service) has launched GRE at Home Facility in order to make the GRE exams more accessible in response to the ongoing COVID-19 Pandemic.
The offline or paper-based GRE General Test and the GRE Subject Tests are available up to three times per year. The GRE Exam Dates come in the months of October, November and February at limited test centres in selected cities. Know more about offline GRE 2023 Exam Centres.
Latest Updates for GRE
- Dec 14, 2022: GRE Exam 2023 notification will be released soon by the conducting authorities on the official website. Read More
Table of Contents
- About GRE Exam
- GRE 2023 Exam Dates
- GRE 2023 Eligibility
- GRE 2023 Registration
- GRE 2023 Admit Card
- GRE 2023 Exam Pattern
- GRE 2023 Exam Centers
- GRE 2023 Syllabus
- How to prepare for GRE?
- GRE Books 2023
- GRE 2023 Score
- GRE 2023 Counselling
- GRE Important Instructions
- Scholarships Through GRE
- GRE vs GMAT
About GRE Course
GRE 2023 official notification will be released soon on the official website. GRE stands for Graduate Record Examination. GRE exam is conducted by Education Test Services (ETS), an organization committed to advance equity and quality in education for all people worldwide. ETS does this by providing tools for assessment development, educational research, policy studies and more. GRE exam is considered as one of the toughest exams in the world to crack.
If a candidate happens to reschedule the test by changing the previously scheduled test, then he or she will be liable to pay an extra fee. The core aspect of GRE preparation is that each candidate must take mock tests to get familiar with the exam pattern. With the help of GRE Sample papers, an aspirant can easily get a high GRE Score.
GRE is an exam designed to tests candidates' long-term acquired skills. Hence Universities use ETS GRE Score as one of the factors to analyze whether the candidate has the necessary skills for their graduate program.
GRE Score: GRE Score is accepted in most of the graduate schools in English speaking countries like the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, and Western Europe.
Popularity: ETS tries to test the skills of candidates who need a long period of learning to acquire. These skills are not dependent on the quality of education that a candidate has had access to. As a result, ETS has provided a fair platform for candidates to test their skills. This is the reason why this exam stays widely accepted as a measure to test acquired intelligence.
GRE Exam Pattern: The questions in the exams are objective type. In this exam, there is no negative marking. Candidates can keep in mind that there is no negative marking and attempt all the questions.
Frequency: GRE Exam is conducted by ETS throughout the year at multiple centres online and in selected centres offline. It is up to a candidate to attempt the exam whenever and where ever.
GRE Exam Changes: Before August 2011 applicants didn't have an opportunity to go back to a question once they have moved to the next question. This was inconvenient and didn't let candidates perform their best. ETS which is aimed at testing candidates' skills recognized this as a hindrance and changed GRE from question-to-question adaptive to section-wise adaptive type. Given below are the highlights of the GRE Exam.
Candidates who want to get their graduate degrees abroad should register for the GRE Exam by going to the official website of the ETS who conducts the exam. The GRE Exam is conducted throughout the year several times so applicants have an option to take the GRE whenever it is most suitable for them. Along with things like recommendation letters, a personal essay, a good GRE score is equally important in the college application. Candidates can find out more on the GRE Exam below.
The table below shows some highlights of the GRE Exam.
|Full Form||Graduate Record Examinations|
|Conducting Body||Education Test Services (ETS)|
|Exam Mode||Online and Offline|
2 hours and 50 minutes (Subject Test)
3 hours 50 minutes (General Test)
GRE 2023 Exam Dates
ETS GRE Exam is conducted throughout the year. Candidates can choose a GRE 2023 Exam Dates according to their convenience during the registration process. They can appear for the GRE 2023 Exam multiple times in a year.
First Come First Serve
To book a slot for GRE, candidates should remember that GRE Exam slots are scheduled on a first-come-first-serve basis. So. It is up to the applicant to decide the slot and GRE Exam Date of the GRE. But with such flexibility offered for GRE Exam slot and GRE Exam Date arises another problem. During the peak season of GRE (generally around August to December) it is hard to get an appointment at the desired centre according to one's comfort.
Candidates can reschedule or cancel their scheduled exam.
- Rescheduling: ETS, the conducting authority of the exam, understands candidates sometimes cannot attend the exam on the allotted date and needs to reschedule. Hence ETS has provided an option for candidates to reschedule their exams. But candidates have to reschedule 4-5 days before the scheduled GRE Exam Date. No appointments can be rescheduled beyond 1 year of the originally scheduled appointment.
- Cancellation: ETS even allows a candidate to cancel the scheduled GRE exam. Candidates will only get 50% of the fees. But candidates should cancel the exam at least four days before the scheduled GRE Exam Date.
Read More: GRE Exam Dates
GRE 2023 Eligibility
ETS, the conducting authority has not set any GRE 2023 Eligibility or any age limit. But there is some generally implied eligibility. They are:
- Education: Since GRE Score is used to apply for a graduate degree, candidates are expected to have at least an undergraduate degree.
- Age Limit: There is no age limit set, but a candidate should at least have an Undergraduate Degree to apply for a graduate program. Hence candidates should be at least 18 years old. Candidates who will be finishing their undergraduate degree can also appear for the GRE Exam.
This general understanding of GRE Exam Eligibility requires the aspirant to have a qualification, and other norms set by the desired educational institution. As there is not really an Eligibility criterion for taking the GRE Exam, there will be Eligibility Criteria for different universities and colleges and they will be different for each university or college. Candidates will have to ensure that they fit the eligibility criteria defined by the university or college they will be applying to. The selection of the candidate will depend on a bunch of factors that include the GRE score, SOPs, Recommendation Letters, Extra Curricular, etc.
Read More: GRE Eligibility
GRE Registration 2023
ETS GRE is conducted throughout the year. But candidates have to plan ahead and take the exam so that the score reaches the recipient university on time. GRE Application Form Details along with the process and documents required are given below.
How to Apply for ETS GRE 2023?
There are four ways to apply for GRE. To begin the process of online registration one has to start with creating an account on the official website. The predetermined universities and colleges to which the students want to send their GRE Score must be selected at this stage. Registration fee of $205 can be paid via Credit Card, Debit Card, Paypal or Money Order.
GRE Application Form Details
Candidates should be aware of the details of the GRE Application Form. These details are given below:
- ETS Account: Candidates have to first create an ETS account. The username should match with the name on the identity card (excluding accents) that you will be producing on the exam.
- Modes of Test: The exam can be taken in 2 modes. It can be taken either through the Paper-delivered test or Computer-delivered test.
- Test Fees: Exam fee for General test is USD 205 and for Subject Test is USD 180.
- GRE Fee Reduction Program: ETS has a Fee Reduction Program for those candidates who demonstrate financial need. They will be offered a Fee Reduction Voucher. By applying the voucher code candidate has to only pay 50% of the fee.
- Reschedule and Cancellation Process details: If a candidate cannot attend the exam on the allotted date then they can reschedule or cancel their exam. Candidates have to reschedule or cancel their exam 4-5 days before the exam date.
- ID requirements: Candidate has to bring a valid ID Document. Name of the candidate on the ID Document should match the name provided during registration (excluding accents).
Documents Required to Apply for GRE
The candidate needs to have a valid ID Document. This is because the name on the ID document should be used as the username while creating an ETS Account. Indian students will be allowed to use Aadhar Cards as identification proof w.e.f. Jul 1, 2023
Candidates should have Debit/Credit/net banking ready if they are making an online payment for GRE Exam. Otherwise, a candidate should have any other payment method at their disposal.
GRE 2023 Admit Card
After completion of the GRE Registration form on the official website, the candidate will receive a confirmation email. This email will act as the GRE 2023 Admit Card or the Hall Ticket. Candidates will have to carry a printed copy of their confirmation email to the exam centre on the day of the exam.
Along with the GRE Admit Card, the students have to carry the valid ID proof, which is usually the valid passport. Name on the ID Document should match the user name of ETS account (excluding accents).
Steps to Download GRE 2023 Admit Card
- Visit the official website of the GRE. [www.ets.org/gre]
- Download the Entrance Card and enter the necessary details.
- The Admit Card will be displayed on the of the user after submitting the details.
- Once the Admit Card is presented on the screen, candidates should verify whether the information on the card is correct.
- When candidates have checked the information, they can download the GRE Admit Card and take prints of it for future reference.
- Candidates are advised to have extra copies of the Admit Card.
Read More: GRE Admit Card
GRE 2023 Exam Pattern
Candidates should have an idea of the GRE 2023 Exam Pattern in order to prepare well and ace it. These details are given below.
- Sections: According to GRE Exam Pattern, there are three sections, Analytical Writing, Verbal Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning.
- Analytical Paper: The analytical paper has one section divided into two tasks. Candidates are given 30 minutes to attend this section.
- Verbal Reasoning: This paper has a total of 40 questions under 2 segments. Duration for completing this section is 30 minutes.
- Quantitative Reasoning: This paper has 40 questions under 2 separate segments and has a time duration of 70 minutes.
|Papers||Analytical Writing||Verbal Reasoning||Quantitative Reasoning|
|Number of Sections||1||2||2|
|Number Questions||2 Tasks||20 Questions*2=40||
|Time Allotted per Section||30 Minutes||30 Minutes||35 Minutes|
|Total Time Allotted||30 Minutes||60 Minutes||70 Minutes|
Read More: GRE Exam Pattern
GRE 2023 Exam Centers
ETS has given the candidates, flexibility to choose the GRE Test Centres which is close and convenient to them. The choice of these Prometric test centres can also be on the basis of availability of time slots. If students are opting for conventional offline exam mode then it is available only in selected cities and with limited time slots.
The test centres in India are listed in the table below.
|ETS General Test Centres in India|
|Council of American Education|
|CyberStation – CPS Global|
|Mumbai||Prometric Testing Private Ltd|
|Grad-Dreams Education Consulting Pvt Ltd|
|Chennai||Prometric Testing Private Ltd|
|Bangalore||Prometric Testing Private Ltd|
|Hyderabad||Prometric Testing Private Ltd|
|Kolkata||Prometric Testing Private Ltd|
|Mysore||Exuberant Technologies Pvt Ltd|
|Trivandrum||Prometric Testing Private Ltd|
|Ahmadabad||Prometric Testing Private Ltd|
|Chandigarh||Saint Kabir Public School|
|Gurgaon||Prometric Testing Private Ltd|
|ETS Onsite UAS Intl Production Lab|
Read More: GRE Test Centres
GRE Syllabus 2023
GRE Exam has two formats and they are the GRE General Test and GRE Subject Test. ETS tests a candidate's core skills that are developed over the years. And there is no prescribed GRE 2023 Syllabus for the GRE General Test. But candidates can look at the structure of the test and prepare for the exam. It is important for all GRE 2023 aspirants to read the GRE syllabus thoroughly in order to prepare for the exam well. A structural overview for General Test is given below.
General Test contains three sectional papers viz, verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and analytical writing. The verbal reasoning section of the GRE Exam will test the skills of the candidate in analyzing data and drawing conclusions, summarizing. The quantitative section will examine the candidate for mathematical skills and analytical writing will test the ability of the candidate to write and articulate complex ideas efficiently. Candidates can concentrate on these areas, practice, and prepare well for the exam.
The important topics covered in the GRE General Test are given below.
- Subject-Verb Agreement
- Idioms and Idiomatic Expressions
- Verb Tense
- Number Properties
- Profit and Loss
- Ratio Proportions
- Speed, Distance and Time
- Simple Interest and Compound Interest
- Geometry - Circle, Polygon, Line and Angles, Triangle
- Coordinate Geometry
- Surface Area and Volume
- Set Theory
- Permutation and Combination
GRE 2023 Subject Test Syllabus
Apart from the general GRE test, ETS also conducts Subjects Test. GRE Subject Tests are usually not mandatory but some specialized courses may require the candidates to take the GRE 2023 Subject Tests. The syllabus of the subject test is different than the general test and each subject test has a different syllabus. Candidates must gather all the study materials to prepare for the GRE 2023 thoroughly. The syllabus for the GRE Subject Test is given below.
- Cellular Biology
- Molecular Biology
- Organismal Biology
- Ecology and Evolution
- Inorganic Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Analytical Chemistry
- Physical Chemistry
- Discrete Mathematics
- Real Analysis
- Additional Mathematics
- Literary Analysis
- Cultural and Historical Context
- History and Theory of Literary Criticism
- Heat and Thermodynamics
- Optics and Wave
- Quantum Mechanics
- Atomic Physics
- Special Relativity
- Laboratory Methods
- Nuclear Physics
- Particle Physics
- Biological Psychology
- Cognitive Psychology
- Social Psychology
- Developmental Psychology
- Clinical Psychology
Read More: GRE Syllabus
How to Prepare for GRE?
Your preparation for GRE can be over a year-long or just 2 months, it doesn't matter. What does matter is the amount of commitment you have given to the cause. So, before starting the GRE preparation or any preparation for that matter, it is crucial that you set your mind to that goal. For every excruciating task, you do you should bear in mind that the end result will make all of this worth it. The candidates most importantly must focus on completing and covering all the subject topics of the GRE 2023 syllabus. The candidates must also gather all study materials according to the syllabus and prepare thoroughly.
Now if you have fully committed yourself, follow the preparation steps given below for the next 2 months.
A sculptor cannot sculpt without his tools. The same concept goes with the preparation of GRE. You need to have all the possible materials that would help you understand and practice the questions from the exam. The study materials for the GRE include reference books, sample question papers, educational videos, and GRE apps. The practice of sample question papers, along with taking tests online will help the candidates manage the time, improve their speed and improve the accuracy of the answers as well.
If you were able to secure all of these materials at the start you would know what all things you have to go through over the period of time you have allotted to yourself.
Construction of Custom Schedule
You are the only person that knows your strengths and weaknesses, so you need to prepare a good and disciplined schedule that clearly incorporates your way of preparation. After having ascertained what sections need works, prepare a plan that divides topics to be covered, and time to allot to each topic. With regular studying, you also need to remember the topic you have studied. To be more thorough with all the subjects you have to revise weekly or better daily.
But just creating a schedule for the sake of creating the schedule is of no use if you don't stick to it until you achieve your goal. So you need to make sure that you are strictly adhering to your schedule.
Practice like the Exam is tomorrow
Sometimes you might get bored of constantly practicing the sample questions of the GRE Exam. Slowly you might stop taking the exam seriously. But the easiest way to avoid these things is to convince yourself that the next day is the exam and you are still a long way from learning all of those questions. This sense of urgency will automatically convert your mindset to put in more concentration into the practice.
If you have any doubts or are unclear about any topic f a subject then it is better to seek a proper/professional guidance and help.
There are some websites that offer GRE practice tests. Also, practice previous year question papers which will give a clear idea of what the GRE 2023 exam is like and build much confidence. You can use these sites to get a thorough understanding of this exam.
Section Wise Preparation
The sections that are in the GRE Exam are as follows
- Verbal Section: For any of the Indian Student this is the most crucial section. This section mainly concentrates on the candidate's vocabulary skills so you should be making sure that you learn as many new words as possible per day. Best way to do is creating an excel sheet and then daily adding new words to the list and at the end of the week test yourself to see how many words you were able to retain in your memory. Then, put in extra effort to remember those words you got wrong.
- Quantitative Section: This section assesses the basic high school level mathematical knowledge and reasoning skills. But don't let it fool you into thinking that this section might be easy. The only way you are allowed to think that this section is easy if you practice as many sample quant questions as you can lay your hands on.
- Analytical Writing Section: This section which consists of two essays tests the writing abilities of the candidate. So you need to practice writing essays based on arguments, descriptions, etc. Makes sure that you maintain proper structure and vocabulary all to be done within the time frame.
GRE Books 2023
Along with ETS GRE books, there are other materials that candidates can refer to and prepare for the exam. Candidates who referred best books and follow proper preparation plan can secure a good GRE score. Some of the suggested materials are:
- Magoosh GRE Flashcards
- Online Mock Tests
- McGraw-Hill's "Conquering the New GRE Math"
- Kaplan's "New GRE Math Workbook"
Read More: GRE Books
GRE 2023 Score
GRE Result will be readily given to the students after completion of the test. The same will have to be sent to the students' choice of universities or business schools along with the other required documents. Since the admissions in the universities are purely based on merit, the student has to work hard for the GRE Score. The candidates must send their scores to the institutes or the colleges they want to pursue in by paying a particular amount of fee.
- Validity: Validity of the score is five years.
- Score Range: The overall score range is 130 to 170.
- Students can retake the exam but only after 21 days of the previous exam.
Read More: GRE Score
GRE 2023 Counselling
Although there is no process for GRE Counselling, the exam score is used as a parameter while applying for universities. But you might need other documents along with the score while applying for university.
- Documents Needed Along with GRE Score: You will need a Letter of Recommendation (LoR), Statement of Purpose (SOP) and your previous degree scorecard.
- Letter of Recommendation (LoR): You should provide an LoR from a close working associate or a renowned person will boost your resume.
- Statement of Purpose (SoP): You should provide an SoP expressing your interest in the course, why you want to study there and why you should be offered admission into the course. This gives you a platform to express your interest in a particular course.
- Qualifying/Qualified Degree Scorecard: You should provide your scorecard/marks sheet of the qualifying/qualified degree.
A great GRE Score, LoR and SoP along with good CGPA in your qualifying exam will make your application strong.
Read More: GRE Counselling 2023
GRE Official Guide
Some of the important point that all GRE aspirants must remember the following-
- Candidates who want to book a GRE Slot must create an account with the conducting body of GRE which is the ETS.
- Candidates must send their scores to the college or the university before the deadline. They must also anticipate a total number of 10-15 days for their score reports to reach the respective colleges or universities.
- Candidates can take the GRE General Test once in 21 days. They can also take the test up to five time-continuous in a year/12 month period.
- The GRE exam/ GRE Online version is held multiple times in a month except on official holidays and on the weekends.
- The GRE exam is held in multiple cities in India and candidates can choose their own choice of the city or the Exam centre.
GRE 2023 Scholarship
It should be noted that the GRE or for that matter anyone from the ETS does not provide a scholarship of any kind. But there is a silver lining, universities consider GRE Score as one of the parameters for scholarships, research funds, and grants. This can easily cover the tuition fee and living expenses of candidates. One point that applicants need to note is that ETS the company that administers the GRE does not offer any scholarships or financial awards to top-scorers in the GRE.
100% of scholarships do exist and they are limited in number. To secure one, you need to be an exceptionally gifted student with a knock-out academic score throughout your studies from high school to graduation.
GRE vs GMAT
- GRE Score is required for most of the graduate and postgraduate/master level courses offered in Business schools as well as other colleges/universities around the world which means the GRE score will be accepted for programs like MS Finance, MS Accounting, MS Computer Science, etc as well as MBA. So candidates who are not sure whether they want to apply to MBA programs or master's programs can opt to take GRE instead of GMAT.
- The computer-based GRE is 3 hours and 45 minutes and the paper-based test is 3 hours 30 minutes long and it has 2 essay questions.
- The GRE is available in a paper-based format and computer-based format.
- The cost of the application of GRE is USD 205.
- GMAT Score is used to get admission in most of the Business Schools around the world. As GMAT is only accepted for business schools and not for any other programs, candidates must be sure about applying to business schools before taking the GMAT 2023 Exam. GMAT score will not be accepted for other mater level programs of various streams.
- The GMAT is 3 hours 30 minutes long and it has a single essay question.
- The GMAT is a computer adaptive test which means only to be taken on a computer and the difficulty level of the questions will increase as the candidate answers the questions correctly.
- The cost of the application of the GMAT exam is USD 250.
When you are applying for a University, the university will demand either GRE or/and GMAT. Depending on the university requirements candidate can choose which exam to take.
How much does it cost to take the GRE 2023?
The cost for this will vary depending on the number of recipients of the score and services which you have purchased. In India, the basic fee for General Test is USD 205 and for Subject Test is USD 180. That is approximately INR 15300 and INR 13500 respectively.
Is the GRE test Difficult?
ETS conducts this exam in order to test a candidate\'s skills which are developed over a long period of time. So if your skills are good enough the test will be relatively easier. It is a difficult test no doubt but practice and preparation can work to your advantage.
How often is GRE offered?
This exam is offered throughout the year. You have to plan ahead and select an exam Date in such a way that it reaches applying for university on time. Candidates are advised to take the GRE Exam only after preparing well. So they should plan accordingly.
How do I get a GRE fee waiver?
ETS doesn\'t offer Complete Fee Wavier, but it does offer Fee Reduction Voucher for those who are in Financial Need. Using this Voucher will give you a 50% Fee Reduction. Candidates can find more about it on the official website of the ETS.
Do I have to take the GRE if I already have a masters?
GRE Exam is not conducted so that people can take it for no reasons. But it is conducted as a measuring tool so that universities can understand candidates caliber. If you are applying for PhD then you might need a score. That\'s if the university which you are applying for has the GRE score as a requirement.
Is GRE easy to Crack?
ETS tests the candidate\'s skills which are developed over a long period of time through GRE. If your skills are good enough and you are consistent with preparation, yes it is easy to crack.
What is the GRE exam fee?
GRE has two tests. First, one is the General Test and costs 205 USD in India and Subject Test costs USD 180.
How can I take GRE 2023?
You can apply for the exam by creating an ETS Account. Then you can register yourself for a GRE Exam Date which is convenient for you in the centre which is near you. Registration Process will be completed once the payment is done. Now prepare well and take the exam.
Should I take the GRE?
If you are applying for a University and the University demands a GRE Score then you will have to take the exam. You might also need Letter of Recommendation, Statement of Purpose among other documents for applying for University.
Do you get GRE scores immediately?
If you chose Score Reports, you can see your unofficial score at the test centre itself. But the official scores will be made available on the candidate\'s ETs Account. Also, the Official Score Report will be sent to the registered address in 10-15 days from taking the exam.
How often can I retake the Exam?
The test can be taken every 21 days and only up to 5 times in a year. But the candidate can take the paper-based test as many times as it is offered.
When should I start preparing for the GRE Exam?
Candidates can take a mock test before they actually start preparing for the GRE Exam so that they can know where they stand and plan their preparation strategy accordingly. Candidates should assess themselves to understand what are their strengths and weaknesses and decide how long they should prepare for. The preparation period may differ for each person.
What is the duration of the GRE Exam?
The GRE Exam is of 3 hours and 45 minutes in total which is split among 4 sections of the GRE Exam. The writing section which has 2 essays is of 60 minutes, there are 2 verbal sections which are of 30 minutes each. Then there are 2 quantitative sections of 35 minutes each and one ungraded experimental section which has 30 to 35 minutes.
Who should take the GRE Exam?
The GRE Exam is a prerequisite for MS and other master\'s level degrees in the USA, Canada, and few other countries. GRE scores are also accepted by some Indian business schools. So anyone who has completed their undergraduate studies or is in the process of doing so and is planning to do master\'s abroad can take the GRE Exam.
Will universities know I have taken the GRE more than once?
No. Schools will not know if you have taken the GRE exam multiple times. Candidates are provided an option to send only the best GRE scores to the universities and colleges. After appearing for the GRE Exam, students will get tentative score in reasoning and verbal. These scores are almost always similar to that of the final GRE Result. Right after the exam, candidates can decide whether to send these scores or previous scores or not send any scores at all. So universities and colleges will only get the GRE Scores which are sent by the candidate. Universities and colleges are aware of the fact that many students only send the best GRE scores so they do not really care if you take the GRE Exam more than once.