GRE Exam is an assessment exam accepted by over 1000 b-schools around the world. GRE stands for Graduate Record Exam and it is conducted by ETS (Educational Test Services). The syllabus of GRE is designed in such a way as to test the competency of a student in a particular subject. The test can be taken during any part of the year and so the GRE Exam Dates are flexible.
- What is GRE Exam?
- GRE 2021 Exam Dates
- GRE 2021 Eligibility
- Scholarships Through GRE
- GRE 2021 Syllabus
- How to prepare for GRE?
- GRE 2021 Registration
- GRE 2021 Exam Pattern
- GRE 2021 Admit Card
- GRE 2021 Test Centers
- GRE 2021 Score
- GRE 2021 Counselling
- GRE Books
- GRE Important Instructions
- GRE vs GMAT
What is GRE?
GRE stands for Graduate Record Examination. GRE exam is conducted by Education Test Services (ETS), an organization committed to advance equity and quality in education for all people worldwide. ETS does this by providing tools for assessment development, educational research, policy studies and more. GRE exam is considered as one of the toughest exams in the world to crack.
If a candidate happens to reschedule the test by changing the previously scheduled test, then he or she will be liable to pay an extra fee. The core aspect of GRE preparation is that each candidate must take mock tests to get familiar with the exam pattern. With the help of GRE Sample papers, an aspirant can easily get a high GRE Score.
GRE is an exam designed to test tests candidates' long-term acquired skills. Hence Universities use ETS GRE Score as one of the factors to analyze whether the candidate has the necessary skills for their graduate program.
GRE Score: GRE Score is accepted in most of the graduate schools in English speaking countries like the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, and Western Europe.
Popularity: ETS tries to test the skills of candidates who need a long period of learning to acquire. These skills are not dependent on the quality of education that a candidate has had access to. As a result, ETS has provided a fair platform for candidates to test their skills. This is the reason why this exam stays widely accepted as a measure to test acquired intelligence.
GRE Exam Pattern: The questions in the exams are objective type. In this exam, there is no negative marking. Candidates can keep in mind that there is no negative marking and attempt all the questions.
Frequency: GRE Exam is conducted by ETS throughout the year at multiple centres online and in selected centres offline. It is up to a candidate to attempt the exam whenever and where ever.
GRE Exam Changes: Before August 2011 applicants didn't have an opportunity to go back to a question once they have moved to the next question. This was inconvenient and didn't let candidates perform their best. ETS which is aimed at testing candidates' skills recognized this as a hindrance and changed GRE from question-to-question adaptive to section-wise adaptive type. Given below are the highlights of the GRE Exam.
Candidates who are planning to study master, graduate studies, or pursue their MBA abroad, then GRE Exam is the first step in their journey. Almost all American universities and colleges require the GRE Exam scores for admission into their master's programs. Candidates who want to get their graduate degrees abroad should register for the GRE Exam by going to the official website of the ETS who conducts the exam. The GRE Exam is conducted throughout the year several times so applicants have an option to take the GRE whenever it is most suitable for them. Applicants can appear for the GRE Exam any number of times and send only the best score to the universities they intend to apply. Along with things like recommendation letters, a personal essay, a good GRE score is equally important in the college application. Candidates can find out more on the GRE Exam below.
The table below shows some highlights of the GRE Exam.
|Conducting Authority||ETS (EducationTesting Service)|
|Courses Under GRE||MS, MBA, PhD|
|Exam Date||Throughout the year|
|Eligibility||Above 18 years|
|Fee||$205 or around INR 14,500|
|Exam Mode||Online and Offline|
|Score Validity||5 Years|
|Documents Needed||Valid Passport|
|Subject Papers||General, Psychology, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Mathematics and Literature in English|
|Sectional Papers For General Test||Verbal Reasoning, Quantitative Reasoning, Analytical Writing|
|Score Range||Minimum score 130 Maximum score 170|
GRE 2021 Exam Dates
ETS GRE Exam is conducted throughout the year. Candidates can choose a GRE 2021 Exam Dates according to their Convenience during the registration process. They can appear for the GRE 2021 Exam multiple times in a year.
First Come First Serve
To book a slot for GRE, candidates should remember that GRE Exam slots are scheduled on a first-come-first-serve basis. So. It is up to the applicant to decide the slot and GRE Exam Date of the GRE. But with such flexibility offered for GRE Exam slot and GRE Exam Date arises another problem. During the peak season of GRE (generally around August to December) it is hard to get an appointment at the desired centre according to one's comfort.
Candidates can reschedule or cancel their scheduled exam.
- Rescheduling: ETS, the conducting authority of the exam, understands candidates sometimes cannot attend the exam on the allotted date and needs to reschedule. Hence ETS has provided an option for candidates to reschedule their exams. But candidates have to reschedule 4-5 days before the scheduled GRE Exam Date. No appointments can be rescheduled beyond 1 year of the originally scheduled appointment.
- Cancellation: ETS even allows a candidate to cancel the scheduled GRE exam. Candidates will only get 50% of the fees. But candidates should cancel the exam at least four days before the scheduled GRE Exam Date.
GRE 2021 Eligibility
ETS, the conducting authority has not set any GRE 2021 Eligibility or any age limit. But there is some generally implied eligibility. They are:
- Education: Since GRE Score is used to apply for a graduate degree, candidates are expected to have at least an undergraduate degree.
- Age Limit: There is no age limit set, but a candidate should at least have an Undergraduate Degree to apply for a graduate program. Hence candidates should be at least 18 years old. Candidates who will be finishing their undergraduate degree can also appear for the GRE Exam.
This general understanding of GRE Exam Eligibility requires the aspirant to have a qualification, and other norms set by the desired educational institution. As there is not really an Eligibility criterion for taking the GRE Exam, there will be Eligibility Criteria for different universities and colleges and they will be different for each university or college. Candidates will have to ensure that they fit the Eligibility Criteria defined by the University or College they will be applying to. The selection of the candidate will depend on a bunch of factors that include the GRE score, SOPs, Recommendation Letters, Extra Curricular, etc.
GRE 2021 Scholarship
It should be noted that the GRE or for that matter anyone from the ETS does not provide a scholarship of any kind. But there is a silver lining, universities consider GRE Score as one of the parameters for scholarships, research funds, and grants. This can easily cover the tuition fee and living expenses of candidates. One point that applicants need to note is that ETS the company that administers the GRE does not offer any scholarships or financial awards to top-scorers in the GRE.
100% of scholarships do exist and they are limited in number. To secure one, you need to be an exceptionally gifted student with a knock-out academic score throughout your studies from high school to graduation.
GRE 2021 Syllabus
GRE Exam has two formats and they are the GRE General Test and GRE Subject Test. ETS tests a candidate's core skills that are developed over the years. And there is no prescribed GRE 2021 Syllabus for the GRE General Test. But candidates can look at the structure of the test and prepare for the exam. It is important for all GRE 2021 aspirants to read the GRE syllabus thoroughly in order to prepare for the exam well. A structural overview for General Test is given below.
General Test contains three sectional papers viz, verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and analytical writing. The verbal reasoning section of the GRE Exam will test the skills of the candidate in analyzing data and drawing conclusions, summarizing. The quantitative section will examine the candidate for mathematical skills and analytical writing will test the ability of the candidate to write and articulate complex ideas efficiently. Candidates can concentrate on these areas, practice, and prepare well for the exam.
The important topics covered in the GRE General Test are given below.
- Subject-Verb Agreement
- Idioms and Idiomatic Expressions
- Verb Tense
- Number Properties
- Profit and Loss
- Ratio Proportions
- Speed, Distance and Time
- Simple Interest and Compound Interest
- Geometry - Circle, Polygon, Line and Angles, Triangle
- Coordinate Geometry
- Surface Area and Volume
- Set Theory
- Permutation and Combination
GRE 2021 Subject Test Syllabus
Apart from the general GRE test, ETS also conducts Subjects Test. GRE Subject Tests are usually not mandatory but some specialized courses may require the candidates to take the GRE 2021 Subject Tests. The syllabus of the subject test is different than the general test and each subject test has a different syllabus. Candidates must gather all the study materials to prepare for the GRE 2021 thoroughly. The syllabus for the GRE Subject Test is given below.
- Cellular Biology
- Molecular Biology
- Organismal Biology
- Ecology and Evolution
- Inorganic Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Analytical Chemistry
- Physical Chemistry
- Discrete Mathematics
- Real Analysis
- Additional Mathematics
- Literary Analysis
- Cultural and Historical Context
- History and Theory of Literary Criticism
- Heat and Thermodynamics
- Optics and Wave
- Quantum Mechanics
- Atomic Physics
- Special Relativity
- Laboratory Methods
- Nuclear Physics
- Particle Physics
- Biological Psychology
- Cognitive Psychology
- Social Psychology
- Developmental Psychology
- Clinical Psychology
How to prepare for GRE?
Your preparation for GRE can be over a year-long or just 2 months, it doesn't matter. What does matter is the amount of commitment you have given to the cause. So, before starting the GRE preparation or any preparation for that matter, it is crucial that you set your mind to that goal. For every excruciating task, you do you should bear in mind that the end result will make all of this worth it. The candidates most importantly must focus on completing and covering all the subject topics of the GRE 2021 syllabus. The candidates must also gather all study materials according to the syllabus and prepare thoroughly.
Now if you have fully committed yourself, follow the preparation steps given below for the next 2 months.
A sculptor cannot sculpt without his tools. The same concept goes with the preparation of GRE. You need to have all the possible materials that would help you understand and practice the questions from the exam. The study materials for the GRE include reference books, sample question papers, educational videos, and GRE apps. The practice of sample question papers, along with taking tests online will help the candidates manage the time, improve their speed and improve the accuracy of the answers as well.
If you were able to secure all of these materials at the start you would know what all things you have to go through over the period of time you have allotted to yourself.
Construction of Custom Schedule
You are the only person that knows your strengths and weaknesses, so you need to prepare a good and disciplined schedule that clearly incorporates your way of preparation. After having ascertained what sections need works, prepare a plan that divides topics to be covered, and time to allot to each topic. With regular studying, you also need to remember the topic you have studied. To be more thorough with all the subjects you have to revise weekly or better daily.
But just creating a schedule for the sake of creating the schedule is of no use if you don't stick to it until you achieve your goal. So you need to make sure that you are strictly adhering to your schedule.
Practice like the Exam is tomorrow
Sometimes you might get bored of constantly practicing the sample questions of the GRE Exam. Slowly you might stop taking the exam seriously. But the easiest way to avoid these things is to convince yourself that the next day is the exam and you are still a long way from learning all of those questions. This sense of urgency will automatically convert your mindset to put in more concentration into the practice.
If you have any doubts or are unclear about any topic f a subject then it is better to seek a proper/professional guidance and help.
There are some websites that offer GRE practice tests. Also, practice previous year question papers which will give a clear idea of what the GRE 2021 exam is like and build much confidence. You can use these sites to get a thorough understanding of this exam.
Section Wise Preparation
The sections that are in the GRE Exam are as follows
- Verbal Section: For any of the Indian Student this is the most crucial section. This section mainly concentrates on the candidate's vocabulary skills so you should be making sure that you learn as many new words as possible per day. Best way to do is creating an excel sheet and then daily adding new words to the list and at the end of the week test yourself to see how many words you were able to retain in your memory. Then, put in extra effort to remember those words you got wrong.
- Quantitative Section: This section assesses the basic high school level mathematical knowledge and reasoning skills. But don't let it fool you into thinking that this section might be easy. The only way you are allowed to think that this section is easy if you practice as many sample quant questions as you can lay your hands on.
- Analytical Writing Section: This section which consists of two essays tests the writing abilities of the candidate. So you need to practice writing essays based on arguments, descriptions, etc. Makes sure that you maintain proper structure and vocabulary all to be done within the time frame.
GRE 2021 Registration
ETS GRE is conducted throughout the year. But candidates have to plan ahead and take the exam so that the score reaches the recipient university on time. GRE Application Form Details along with the process and documents required are given below.
How to apply for ETS GRE 2021?
There are four ways to apply for GRE. To begin the process of online registration one has to start with creating an account on the official website. The predetermined universities and colleges to which the students want to send their GRE Score must be selected at this stage. Registration fee of $205 can be paid via Credit Card, Debit Card, Paypal or Money Order.
GRE Application Form Details
Candidates should be aware of the details of the GRE Application Form. These details are given below:
- ETS account: Candidates have to first create an ETS account. The username should match with the name on the identity card (excluding accents) that you will be producing on the exam.
- Modes of Test: The exam can be taken in 2 modes. It can be taken either through the Paper-delivered test or Computer-delivered test.
- Test Fees: Exam fee for General test is USD 205 and for Subject Test is USD 180.
- GRE Fee Reduction Program: ETS has a Fee Reduction Program for those candidates who demonstrate financial need. They will be offered a Fee Reduction Voucher. By applying the voucher code candidate has to only pay 50% of the fee.
- Reschedule and Cancellation Process details: If a candidate cannot attend the exam on the allotted date then they can reschedule or cancel their exam. Candidates have to reschedule or cancel their exam 4-5 days before the exam date.
- ID requirements: Candidate has to bring a valid ID Document. Name of the candidate on the ID Document should match the name provided during registration (excluding accents).
Documents required to apply for GRE
The candidate needs to have a valid ID Document. This is because the name on the ID document should be used as the username while creating an ETS Account.
Candidates should have Debit/Credit/net banking ready if they are making an online payment for GRE Exam. Otherwise, a candidate should have any other payment method at their disposal.
GRE 2021 Exam Pattern
Candidates should have an idea of the GRE 2021 Exam Pattern in order to prepare well and ace it. These details are given below.
- Sections: According to GRE Exam Pattern, there are three sections, Analytical Writing, Verbal Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning.
- Analytical Paper: The analytical paper has one section divided into two tasks. Candidates are given 30 minutes to attend this section.
- Verbal Reasoning: This paper has a total of 40 questions under 2 segments. Duration for completing this section is 30 minutes.
- Quantitative reasoning: This paper has 40 questions under 2 separate segments and has a time duration of 70 minutes.
|Papers||Analytical Writing||Verbal Reasoning||Quantitative Reasoning|
|Number of Sections||1||2||2|
|Number Questions||2 Tasks||20 Questions*2=40||
|Time Allotted per Section||30 Minutes||30 Minutes||35 Minutes|
|Total Time Allotted||30 Minutes||60 Minutes||70 Minutes|
GRE 2021 Admit Card
After completion of the GRE Registration form on the official website, the candidate will receive a confirmation email. This email will act as the GRE 2021 Admit Card or the Hall Ticket. Candidates will have to carry a printed copy of their confirmation email to the exam centre on the day of the exam.
Along with the GRE Admit Card, the students have to carry the valid ID proof, which is usually the valid passport. Name on the ID Document should match the user name of ETS account (excluding accents).
Steps to download GRE 2021 Admit Card
- Visit the official website of the GRE. [www.ets.org/gre]
- Download the Entrance Card and enter the necessary details.
- The Admit Card will be displayed on the of the user after submitting the details.
- Once the Admit Card is presented on the screen, candidates should verify whether the information on the card is correct.
- When candidates have checked the information, they can download the GRE Admit Card and take prints of it for future reference.
- Candidates are advised to have extra copies of the Admit Card.
GRE 2021 Test Centers
ETS has given the candidates, flexibility to choose the GRE Test Centres which is close and convenient to them. The choice of these Prometric test centres can also be on the basis of availability of time slots. If students are opting for conventional offline exam mode then it is available only in selected cities and with limited time slots.
The test centres in India are listed in the table below.
|ETS General Test Centres in India|
|Council of American Education|
|CyberStation – CPS Global|
|Mumbai||Prometric Testing Private Ltd|
|Grad-Dreams Education Consulting Pvt Ltd|
|Chennai||Prometric Testing Private Ltd|
|Bangalore||Prometric Testing Private Ltd|
|Hyderabad||Prometric Testing Private Ltd|
|Kolkata||Prometric Testing Private Ltd|
|Mysore||Exuberant Technologies Pvt Ltd|
|Trivandrum||Prometric Testing Private Ltd|
|Ahmadabad||Prometric Testing Private Ltd|
|Chandigarh||Saint Kabir Public School|
|Gurgaon||Prometric Testing Private Ltd|
|ETS Onsite UAS Intl Production Lab|
GRE 2021 Score
GRE Result will be readily given to the students after completion of the test. The same will have to be sent to the students' choice of universities or business schools along with the other required documents. Since the admissions in the universities are purely based on merit, the student has to work hard for the GRE Score. The candidates must send their scores to the institutes or the colleges they want to pursue in by paying a particular amount of fee.
- Validity: Validity of the score is five years.
- Score Range: The overall score range is 130 to 170,
- Students can retake the exam but only after 21 days of the previous exam.
GRE 2021 Counselling
Although there is no process for GRE Counselling, the exam score is used as a parameter while applying for universities. But you might need other documents along with the score while applying for university.
- Documents needed along with GRE Score: You will need a Letter of Recommendation (LoR), Statement of Purpose (SOP) and your previous degree scorecard.
- Letter of Recommendation (LoR): You should provide an LoR from a close working associate or a renowned person will boost your resume.
- Statement of Purpose (SoP): You should provide an SoP expressing your interest in the course, why you want to study there and why you should be offered admission into the course. This gives you a platform to express your interest in a particular course.
- Qualifying/Qualified Degree Scorecard: You should provide your scorecard/marks sheet of the qualifying/qualified degree.
A great GRE Score, LoR and SoP along with good CGPA in your qualifying exam will make your application strong.
Along with ETS GRE books, there are other materials which candidates can refer and prepare for the exam. Candidates who referred best books and follow proper preparation plan can secure a good GRE score. Some of the suggested materials are:
- Magoosh GRE Flashcards
- Online Mock Tests
- McGraw-Hill's "Conquering the New GRE Math"
- Kaplan's "New GRE Math Workbook"
GRE Important Instructions
Some of the important point that all GRE aspirants must remember the following-
- Candidates who want to book a GRE Slot must create an account with the conducting body of GRE which is the ETS.
- Candidates must send their scores to the college or the university before the deadline. They must also anticipate a total number of 10-15 days for their score reports to reach the respective colleges or universities.
- Candidates can take the GRE General Test once in 21 days. They can also take the test up to five time-continuous in a year/12 month period.
- The GRE exam/ GRE Online version is held multiple times in a month except on official holidays and on the weekends.
- The GRE exam is held in multiple cities in India and candidates can choose their own choice of the city or the Exam centre.
GRE vs GMAT
- GRE Score is required for most of the graduate and postgraduate/master level courses offered in Business schools as well as other colleges/universities around the world which means the GRE score will be accepted for programs like MS Finance, MS Accounting, MS Computer Science, etc as well as MBA. So candidates who are not sure whether they want to apply to MBA programs or master's programs can opt to take GRE instead of GMAT.
- The computer-based GRE is 3 hours and 45 minutes and the paper-based test is 3 hours 30 minutes long and it has 2 essay questions.
- The GRE is available in a paper-based format and computer-based format.
- The cost of the application of GRE is USD 205.
- GMAT Score is used to get admission in most of the Business Schools around the world. As GMAT is only accepted for business schools and not for any other programs, candidates must be sure about applying to business schools before taking the GMAT 2021 Exam. GMAT score will not be accepted for other mater level programs of various streams.
- The GMAT is 3 hours 30 minutes long and it has a single essay question.
- The GMAT is a computer adaptive test which means only to be taken on a computer and the difficulty level of the questions will increase as the candidate answers the questions correctly.
- The cost of the application of the GMAT exam is USD 250.
When you are applying for a University, the university will demand either GRE or/and GMAT. Depending on the University requirements candidate can choose which exam to take.