Searching for a good institute to pursue your higher education in the field of Arts, Philosophy, Psychology, Law, Social Sciences, Development Studies, Economics, Media Studies, etc. Here is an opportunity to get admission to one of the top institutes i.e. Tata Institute of Social Science, Mumbai. They have campuses in Mumbai, Tuljapur, Hyderabad, Guwahati, IMHST Chennai, MHAT Calicut, and GSET Ranchi. Qualify the Tata Institute of Social Sciences National Entrance Test (TISSNET) and get enrolled with one of these campuses for your course.
- What is TISSNET?
- TISSNET 2021 Exam Date
- TISSNET 2021 Eligibility Criteria
- TISSNET 2021 Syllabus
- TISSNET 2021 Exam Pattern
- TISSNET 2021 Registration
- TISSNET 2021 Admit Card
- TISSNET 2021 Exam Centres
- TISSNET 2021 Result
- TISSNET 2021 Cutoff Marks
- TISSNET 2021 Counselling
- TISSNET 2021 Paper Analysis
- TISSNET Preparation
- TISSNET Reservation
- Related Exams
What is TISSNET?
The Tata Institute of Social Sciences National Entrance Test (TISSNET) is conducted by Tata Institute of Social Sciences for the admission in Post Graduate and Undergraduate programs for courses such as Arts, Development Studies, Economics, Social Sciences, etc. Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai is authorized for conducting TISSNET every year.
TISSNET is a National level entrance exam. It is a test for graduate and postgraduate courses in the relevant field of Social Studies, Arts, Development Studies, Habitat Studies, Law, Human Ecology, Social Work, etc. It happens once in a year and it's a computer-based exam. Here is a piece of brief information about TISSNET in a tabular form:
|Name of the Exam||Tata Institute of Social Sciences National Entrance Test|
|Exam Level||National Level|
|Exam Category||B.A and M.A Programs|
|Exam Mode||Computer-Based Test (CBT)|
|Exam Conducting Body||Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai|
|Exam Duration||100 minutes|
|Frequency||Once in a year|
TISSNET prepares the gateway to enter into the reputed, renowned institute in India, the Tata Institute of Social Sciences. It is known for its excellent quality teaching B.A. and M.A. programs which gives a new platform for these traditional courses almost equivalent to professional ones. This institute also helps in raising the society positively through the power of education, knowledge, ecologically sustainable. It prevents and promotes human rights, equal rights, justice, and one's dignity. Following are the list of courses offered through TISS-BAT and TISSNET 2021:
|B.A. (Hons) in Social Work with Specialisation in Rural Development||3 years|
|B.A. Program in Social Sciences||3 years|
|M.Phil Program||2 years|
|PhD Program||Minimum 3 Years|
|M.A. Program||2 years|
This table explains that graduate courses are of three years duration and postgraduate courses are of two years. For Ph.D., the minimum is for three years duration.
TISSNET 2021 Exam Dates
The official dates of the TISSNET are mentioned on the official portal of the TISS. Make sure that you make a note of the following dates so that you wouldn't miss any of the TISSNET 2021 important dates regarding the exam.
- Application Form: The application form for 2021 admissions will be released in the third week of October. The Application form will be made available on the official website of TISS. The TISSNET 2021 Exam last date for the online application form will be around the fourth week of November and for the offline application, it will be around the first week of December.
- Admit Card: TISSNET 2021 Admit Card will be available for those candidates who successfully submit TISSNET Application Form and are made available to download on the official website. A candidate can download the online TISSNET Hall ticket around second week of December.
- Exam Date: The TISSNET for M.A. programs will be scheduled around the first week of January 2021.
- Result Date: The TISSNET 2021 result will be available near the first week of February.
- M.A. Counselling: After the TISSNET exam result has been declared, the candidate will be called for the counselling. The admission process will take place in March and April.
The TISSNET Exam Dates are listed in the table below. Please note that these dates are tentative.
|Application Form Start Date||October, 2021|
|Application Form Finish Date||November, 2021|
|TISSNET 2021 Admit Card Release Date||December, 2021|
|TISSNET 2021 Exam Date||January, 2021|
|TISSNET 2021 Result Date||February, 2021|
TISSNET 2020 Restructured Admission Process
TISS has planned to start the admission process again from early June onwards. However, the admission process has been restructured bearing in mind the restrictions that the candidates will have to face due to the health concerns from COVID-19. The restructured admission plan is as follows:
- Since there is a restriction on travel and gathering at places, candidates are not required to go to the campus or the exam centre. The second stage of the admission process will be conducted entirely online.
- The second stage will now consist only of the Personal Interview. The Pre-Interview will not be conducted this year.
- Because the pre-interview test is cancelled, the results weightage is now divided as
- TISSNET - 60%
- Personal Interview - 40%
- For candidates who had attended the pre-interview test and the personal interview at the Mumbai campus before the lockdown was issued, the pre-interview test scores will be discarded and only the personal interview scores will be considered.
- The scheduled for the revised admission process for the year 2020 is as follows:
Personal Interview (Mumbai, Tuljapur, Hyderabad) June 8 to June 17, 2020 Personal Interview (Guwahati) June 29 to July 4, 2020 Announcement of the first merit list July 20, 2020 Beginning of 2020 academic session (Except at the Guwahati campus) August 3, 2020
- A detailed schedule of the personal interviews will be updated soon.
TISSNET 2021 Eligibility Criteria
There are certain eligibility criteria set by the conducting authority. So, candidates should be aware of these and make sure to check whether they fit into the criteria for giving the exam before registering. Here, a candidate has to follow TISSNET 2021 Eligibility Criteria.
- B.A. Eligibility Criteria: Candidates should have passed 10+2 in any subject stream from a recognized board in India. Candidates who have studied International Baccalaureate Diploma and will be completing 12th class with qualifying results declared by June 2019 can apply.
- M.A. Eligibility Criteria: Candidates should have cleared the Bachelor's Degree from any affiliated university recognized by UGC of India. Candidates in the final year of their Bachelor's degree can also apply.
- Age Limit: The TISSNET qualification scheme does not specify any age limit for candidates appearing in the national level exam.
|Programs /Courses||Eligibility Criteria||Age Limit||Intake Limit|
|B.A.||Should have passed 10+2 in any stream from a recognized board||should be 23 years or less in age||140 for BA in Social Sciences and 40 for BA (Hons.) Social Work|
|Completing International Baccalaureate Diploma by June 2019|
|Studying in 12th class final exams and waiting for results. At the time of joining, the candidate should produce the final results.|
|M.A.||Candidate should have completed Bachelor's Degree from any recognized University by UGC Guidelines||Does not specify||Depends|
|Any other form fulfilling the compulsory 15 years of formal education from UGC of India|
|A candidate who fulfils the requirements of the final bachelor's year by June 05, 2019|
|A candidate who is in the final year and can submit their grade certificate or Marksheet by September 30, 2019. No extension of date is allowed|
TISSNET 2021 Syllabus
TISSNET syllabus consists of three important sections. Questions are framed around these three key areas of English Proficiency, General Awareness, and Maths & Logical Reasoning. The candidates should be aware of the TISSNET 2021 Syllabus to keep track of their preparation levels. The topics for BA Syllabus relevant from each of the sections are listed in the table below:
|Logical Reasoning||Number/Alphabet Series, Eye for detail, Statement Conclusion/Assumption/Arguments, Logical Connectivity, Linear/Circular/Family Arrangement, Venn Diagram, Puzzles, Cubes, Direction sense, Clock/Calendar|
|Data Interpretation||Bar graph, Tables, Pie chart, Double pie chart, Case lets, multiple graphs, Line graphs, Data comparison|
|Quantitative Ability||Profit and Loss, Averages, Basic Geometry, Ratio and Proportion, Percentages, Time, Distance & Speed, Number System|
|Verbal Ability||Antonyms, Synonyms, Analogies, Odd word out, Word substitute in a sentence, Right usage of words in fill-ups, Right usage of the word in match the following, Fill ups – Homophones, Idioms - Fill ups, Idioms - Match the following, Error spotting - grammar/words/punctuation, Sentence Correction|
|Reading Comprehension||Purpose of the passage, Strengthen and Weaken, Assumption and Supporting Statement, Flaw, and Discrepancy, Inference & Conclusion Drawn, Passage-based questions, Author's Point of View, the main idea of the passage.|
|General Awareness||Environment & ecology, Politics & Constitution, History & Geography, Governance/Law, Economy/Awards, Health, Technology, Current events, Education, Labor, Media/Advertisements, Literature/ Art/ Culture/ Music, Sports|
The topics for M.A. Syllabus relevant from each of the sections are listed in the table below.
|English Proficiency||Word Choice/ sentence correction, Odd-one-out & Analogies, Synonyms & Antonyms, Grammar, Verbal reasoning, Reading comprehension||30||English Language and its usage|
|Mathematics and Logical Reasoning||Basic Arithmetic, Basic Geometry, Basic Trigonometry, Basic Statistics, Number Series, Data interpretation, Logical reasoning||30||Quantitative Skills and Logical Reasoning|
|General Awareness||Politics, Social Studies, Science & Technology, Environment, Sports, Art & Culture, Indian History||40||Current Affairs & understanding of Social Issues|
TISSNET 2021 Exam Pattern
The TISSNET 2021 is a computer-based test (CBT) which offers admissions into various courses offered by the TISS institutes. The TISSNET question paper mostly consists of objective/multiple-choice questions.
- Question Paper: Candidates need to answer 100 questions in 100 minutes. All the questions will be multiple-choice questions.
- Marking Scheme: Candidate will be awarded 1 mark for every correct answer. There is no negative marking for any incorrect answer. However, the cutoffs will be high when compared to other entrance exams of the same kind.
- Syllabus: The TISSNET 2021 Exam Pattern consists of General Knowledge - a major section of the paper, which will carry 40 marks, while English Proficiency and Maths & Logical Reasoning will carry 30 marks each.
- TISSNET exam for B.A. programs also termed as TISS-BAT. It will be held in April. This exam has two sections.
- Part A is a 60-minutes test having multiple choice questions on analytical, logical and social awareness. Part B comprises of written test with a set of descriptive questions in English.
- Although, both sections are in one question paper, both the sections will have individual cutoff marks for evaluation.
|Section||Number of questions||Total marks|
|Maths and Logical Reasoning||30||30|
- Candidates who have applied for a single program or multiple programs through TISSNET 2021 will be attempting a single question paper with 100 questions for 100 minutes. This will also include candidates who have chosen HRM in combination with other programs.
- Visually impaired candidates will be given an option to have a SCRIBE to assist them to complete the test. The SCRIBE should be an undergraduate student and should bring a valid ID proof.
- Persons with Disabilities who have a disability of 40% or more will get a compensatory extra time of 20 minutes per hour.
TISSNET 2021 Registration
Candidates who are willing to appear for the TISSNET 2021 need to fill in the application form. The TISSNET registration process can be done through online mode from the official website.
- Application Form Date: TISSNET 2021 Application Form will be available from October 18, 2019 till November 30, 2019
- Application Mode: TISSNET Registration for the 2021 can be done via both - online and offline mode.
- Application Form: Candidates can apply for the TISSNET 2021 online by filling the Application Form. Candidates can also apply via offline i.e. by filling the Application Form and send via speed post.
- Application Form Payment: Candidates can pay the TISS entrance exam fees online or via challan from State Bank of India. The application fee cost is INR 1030/-.
- Multiple Programs: A candidate can apply for a maximum of three programs across any two of the TISS campus and one of main centre location. A candidate has to pay for each of those programs from a single online form only.
- Documents need to upload: The registration process for the TISSNET 2021 involves uploading of scanned photograph and signature. The prescribed formats and the sizes are given in the table below.
|Certificates (if reserved category)||512 kb|
TISSNET 2021 Admit Card
The admit card is the most important document to be taken to the examination center on the day of the test. Only those candidates who have paid the application fees and submitted the application form will receive the admit card.
- Admit Card: Candidates can download the TISSNET 2021 Admit Card from the official website for the TISSNET exam.
- Admit Card Details: Candidate Name, Date of Birth, Exam Centres, etc. are mentioned at the admit card. Candidates need to carry the Admit Card to the TISS entrance exam.
- Photo ID Card: Along with the hall ticket, it is mandatory to carry a valid photo identity card to the exam centre.
- Opted for a Scribe: In case a candidate has opted for a scribe, he must produce a valid photo id (original/photocopy) and an affidavit to prove the same.
TISSNET 2021 Exam Centres
The official conducting authority has released the list of cities where the exam will be conducted. Check the list below to select your preferred test centre.
- Exam Centres: Candidates can opt for the test centres as per their choice from a total of 39 TISSNET 2021 Exam centres. But candidates should keep in mind that it will be allotted only one exam centre which would not change afterwards.
- Exam Centre Details: Details of the TISS exam centre will be mentioned on the Admit Card. Candidates are advised to check all the details related to the exam centre. The exam is generally conducted in major Indian cities such as State capitals.
- Choice of Preference: The candidates can select the exam centre as per their preference for feasibility based upon the native place.
TISSNET 2021 Results
TISS will release the results for the TISSNET on its official website.
- Results: TISSNET 2021 results will be declared on February 1, 2021 tentatively. Candidates can check the TISSNET results on the official website.
- Credential: Candidates can download their TISSNET 2021 Results from the official website by entering the login Id and Password.
- Scorecard: The scorecards consists of the overall marks and qualifying status of the test takers.
- Rounds: Based on TISSNET results, candidates will be shortlisted for the next rounds namely Pre-Interview Test (PIT) and Personal Interview (PI) and also written tests. These rounds will be held in TISS campuses across Mumbai, Hyderabad, and Guwahati.
NOTE: For B.A. programs, the TISS authorities will release two waitlists before the commencement of classes.
TISSNET 2021 Cut off
TISS will release the TISSNET 2021 cut off in February 2021. These are the minimum amount of marks required for any candidate to be eligible for the next selection rounds for the admission. A few of the factors that determine the TISSNET cutoff includes cutoff, the difficulty level of the exam, the number of candidates attending the exam, etc. The following table contains the current year's category wise cutoffs.
|Program||Category||TISSNET 2019 Cutoff Marks (Official)|
|MA in Human Resource Management and Labour Relations (Mumbai)||General category||75|
Official Cut-Off: The following are the TISSNET cutoffs that make an applicant eligible for the counselling process.
|TISSNET Programs||TISSNET Cutoff (Tentative)|
|MA Human Resource Management||67|
|MA Globalisation and Labour||70|
|MA Public Health||61|
|MPH Social Epidemiology||50|
|MA in Clinical Psychology||57|
|MA Culture and Media Studies||65|
|MA in Mental Health||54|
|MA Women Studies||48|
|MA Social Entrepreneurship||62|
These data are based on the TISSNET 2019 exams. The TISS exam cutoffs might vary every year depending on the difficulty of the paper and the number of candidates.
TISSNET 2021 Counselling
There are two stages in the process of TISSNET counselling. Eligible candidates for admission into the college are filtered through these stages. Those two stages are the Pre-interview test and Personal Interview.
- Counselling: Candidates who cleared the cutoff will be eligible to participate in the TISSNET 2021 Counselling.
- Pre-Interview Test/ Group Discussion: There will be 2 sections with a total of 35-45 minutes and is a written test conducted as part of the selection process.
- Personal Interview (PI): TISSNET exam will conduct the personal Interview to select the right candidates for admission. Candidates are expected to be acquainted with the program for which they have applied.
TISSNET 2021 Paper Analysis
TISS 2021 Exam Analysis has been updated here after both the sessions were over on the January 4, 2021. Visit this page for further updates.
TISSNET Exam Date: January 04, 2020, 2:00 PM to 3:40 PM
Difficulty level: Less difficult than the previous year
TISSNET 2020 was conducted on January 04, 2020. The examination was held between 2:00 PM to 3:40 PM. The TISSNET paper had 100 multiple-choice questions. The candidates will be awarded 1 mark for every correct answer. The TISSNET 2020 had the following sections -
|Maths and Logical Reasoning||40||40||Average to difficult|
|General Awareness||40||40||Average to difficult|
How to Prepare for TISSNET?
Preparation for TISSNET or any entrance exam for that matter needs mainly three things. Those things are determination, patience, and perseverance. You need a strong determination to crack the exam at any cost. You need the enormous patience to go through every step needed to achieve your goal. Finally, you need the perseverance to not be disappointed even when faced with difficulties along the way. So make sure you have these three things before you start your preparation.
Brush Up the Fundamentals
The sections of English Proficiency and Mathematics are purely concept-driven in TISSNET. So, everyone should be brushing up on their concepts to develop the required levels of competence for the exam. If you are strong on the basics then you will be able to answer the question however the way they have twisted it. The first stage of the preparation involves concentrating mainly on the basic concepts of all the subjects.
Intense Practice Sessions
In TISS-NET, the sections of Logical Reasoning and some parts of English Language Proficiency can only be answered if you have enough practice with those types of questions. Gather as many practice papers, mock tests, and other stuff so that you could practice as much as you can. Intense practices make you familiar with the structure and type of questions in these sections.
Increase your Knowledge through Reading
The section of General Awareness contains questions that are based on the current affairs in TISS-NET. So you need to develop a very important habit of reading English newspapers, blogs, and magazines daily. This will increase your knowledge about the things that are happening around you. If you develop this habit, you will be able to answer the General Awareness section in the least amount of time, so that you could use the rest of the time to answer the other sections.
TISSNET Reservation of Seats
The applicants under SC/ST category are privileged with a certain reservation in the admission. Following are the seats allocated to the reserved category candidates in TISSNET :
|Category||TISS Mumbai||TISS Tuljapur||TISS Hyderabad||TISS Guwahati|
|Children of the Armed Forces Employees||5%||5%||5%||5%|
|Candidates from the North-Eastern States||-||-||-||66%|
The scores of the national level entrance exam are accepted at TISS Mumbai, Tuljalpur, Guwahati, Hyderabad, The Banyan Chennai, MHAT Chennai, and G-SET Ranchi. The final admissions to TISS courses at all these institutes are governed by Reservation Policy defined by the conducting authority. Each TISSNET Score accepting institute has a reservation policy for Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribe (ST), Other Backward Classes (OBC), and for People with Disability (PWD).
The option to fill your category comes at the time of registration. Your caste certificate must be uploaded with the form to claim reservation.
- The policy makes it compulsory to offer 66% seats to the students of the north-east region.
- Thus, the remaining 34% of seats are available for the students across the country.
- Educators working at any of the government institutes or DIET’s can apply for the master’s program offered at TISS through the defined channels.
- There is a separate quota defined for Kashmiri students, children of army personnel or defence personnel and government officers who are working at government offices at Central or State level.
Reservation for International Candidates
Admission of International candidates/ students will be done through the International Relations Office (IRO) of TISS for any of the Master’s Degree program. Students will be admitted at the beginning of the degree program, in case of the Master’s program. However, for a short-term course, students can be admitted during any part of the year. All students of foreign origin who hold citizenship certificate with or without Indian citizenship certificate are eligible to apply as international candidates.
If there are any problems during any stage of the exam, contact the official conducting authorities. Their contact details are given below:
Address: V.N. Purav Marg, Deonar, Mumbai-400088