Searching for a good institute to pursue your higher education in the field of Arts, Philosophy, Psychology, Law, Social Sciences, Development Studies, Economics, Media Studies, etc. Here is an opportunity to get admission to one of the top institutes i.e. Tata Institute of Social Science, Mumbai. They have campuses in Mumbai, Tuljapur, Hyderabad, Guwahati, IMHST Chennai, MHAT Calicut, and GSET Ranchi. Qualify the Tata Institute of Social Sciences National Entrance Test (TISSNET) and get enrolled with one of these campuses for your course.
- What is TISSNET?
- Exam Paper Analysis
- TISSNET 2020 Exam Date
- Eligibility Criteria
- TISSNET Syllabus
- Exam Pattern
- TISSNET Preparation
- TISSNET 2020 Registration
- Admit Card
- Exam Centres
- TISSNET 2020 Result
- Cutoff Marks
- TISSNET Counselling
- TISSNET FAQ's
- Related Exams
What is TISSNET?
The Tata Institute of Social Sciences National Entrance Test (TISSNET) is conducted by Tata Institute of Social Sciences for the admission in Post Graduate and undergraduate programs for courses such as Arts, Development Studies, Economics, Social Sciences, etc.Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai is authorized for conducting TISSNET every year.
TISSNET is a National level of an entrance exam. It is a test for graduate and postgraduate courses in the relevant field of Social Studies, Arts, Development Studies, Habitat Studies, Law, Human Ecology, Social Work, etc. It happens once in a year and it's a computer-based exam. Here is a piece of brief information about TISSNET in a tabular form:
|Name of Exam||Tata Institute of Social Sciences National Entrance Test|
|Exam Level||National Level|
|Exam Category||B.A and M.A Programs|
|Exam Mode||Computer-Based Test (CBT)|
|Exam Conducting Body||Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai|
|Exam Duration||100 minutes|
|Frequency||Once in a year|
TISSNET prepares the gateway to enter into the reputed, renowned institute in India, the Tata Institute of Social Sciences. It is known for its excellent quality teaching B.A. and M.A. programs which gives a new platform for these traditional courses almost equivalent to professional ones. This institute also helps in raising the society positively through the power of education, knowledge, ecologically sustainable. It prevents and promotes human rights, equal rights, justice, and one's dignity. Following are the list of courses offered through TISS-BAT and TISSNET 2020:
|B.A. (Hons) in Social Work with Specialisation in Rural Development||3 years|
|B.A. Program in Social Sciences||3 years|
|M.Phil Program||2 years|
|Ph.D. Program||Minimum 3 Years|
|M.A. Program||2 years|
This table explains that graduate courses are of three years duration and postgraduate courses are of two years. For Ph.D., the minimum is for three years duration.
TISSNET 2020 Paper Analysis
TISS 2020 Exam Analysis will be updated here once both the sessions are over on the January 4, 2020. Visit this page for updates.
TISSNET Exam Date: January 04, 2020, 2:00 PM to 3:40 PM| Difficulty level: Less difficult than the previous year
TISSNET 2020 was conducted on January 04, 2020. The examination was held between 2:00 PM to 3:40 PM. The TISSNET paper had 100 multiple-choice questions. The candidates will be awarded 1 mark for every correct answer. The TISSNET 2020 had the following sections -
|Maths and Logical Reasoning||40||40||Average to difficult|
|General Awareness||40||40||Average to difficult|
TISSNET 2020 Exam Dates
The official dates of the TISSNET are mentioned on the official portal of the TISS. Make sure that you make a note of these following dates so that you wouldn't miss any of the important events regarding the exam.
- Application Form: Candidates can fill the application form from October 18, 2019 onwards. The Application form is available on the official website of TISS. The last date of online application form is November 25, 2019.
- Admit Card: TISSNET 2020 Admit Card will only be available for those candidates who successfully submitted TISSNET Application Form and will be available to download on the official website. A candidate can download the online TISSNET Hall ticket on December 20, 2019 and 19 December 2019.
- Exam Date: The TISSNET for M.A. programs is scheduled for January 4, 2020 on Saturday.
- Result Date: The result for the TISSNET 2020 will be available on February 4, 2020.
- M.A. Counselling: After the TISSNET exam result has been declared, the candidate will be called for the counseling. The admission process will take place in March and April.
The TISSNET Exam Dates are listed in the table below:
|Application Form Start Date||October 18, 2019|
|Application Form Finish Date||November 25, 2019|
|TISSNET 2020 Admit Card Release Date||December 20, 2019|
|TISSNET 2020 Exam||January 4, 2020|
|Result Date||February 4, 2020|
TISSNET Eligibility Criteria
There are certain eligibility criteria set by the conducting authority. So, candidates should be aware of these and make sure to check whether they fit into the criteria for giving the exam before registering. Here, a candidate has to follow TISSNET Eligibility Criteria.
- B.A. Eligibility Criteria: Candidates should have passed 10+2 in any subject stream from a recognized board in India. Candidates who have studied International Baccalaureate Diploma and will be completing 12th class with qualifying results declared by June 2019 can apply.
- M.A. Eligibility Criteria: Candidates should have cleared the Bachelor's Degree from any affiliated university recognized by UGC of India. Candidates in the final year of their Bachelor's degree can also apply.
- Age Limit: The TISSNET qualification scheme does not specify any age limit for candidates appearing in the national level exam.
|Programs /Courses||Eligibility Criteria||Age Limit||Intake Limit|
|B.A.||Should have passed 10+2 in any stream from a recognized board||should be 23 years or less in age||140 for BA in Social sciences and 40 for BA (Hons.) Social Work|
|Completing International Baccalaureate Diploma by June 2019|
|Studying in 12th class final exams and waiting for results. At the time of joining, we should produce the final results.|
|M.A.||Candidate should have completed Bachelor's Degree from any recognized University by UGC Guidelines||Does not specify||Depends|
|Any other form fulfilling the compulsory 15 years of formal education from UGC of India|
|A candidate who fulfills the requirements of the final bachelor's year by June 05, 2019|
|A candidate who is in the final year and can submit their grade certificate or Marksheet by September 30, 2019. No extension of date is allowed|
TISSNET 2020 Syllabus
TISSNET syllabus consists of three important sections. Questions are framed around these three key areas of English Proficiency, General Awareness, and Maths & Logical Reasoning. The candidates should be aware of the Syllabus for TISSNET 2020 to keep track of their preparation levels. The topics for BA Syllabus relevant from each of the sections are listed in the table below:
|Logical Reasoning||Number/Alphabet Series, Eye for detail, Statement Conclusion/Assumption/Arguments, Logical Connectivity, Linear/Circular/Family Arrangement, Venn Diagram, Puzzles, Cubes, Direction sense, Clock/Calendar|
|Data Interpretation||Bar graph, Tables, Pie chart, Double pie chart, Case lets, multiple graphs, Line graphs, Data comparison|
|Quantitative Ability||Profit and Loss, Averages, Basic Geometry, Ratio and Proportion, Percentages, Time –Distance & Speed, Number System|
|Verbal Ability||Antonyms, Synonyms, Analogies, Odd word out, Word substitute in a sentence, Right usage of words in fill-ups, Right usage of the word in match the following, Fill ups – Homophones, Idioms - Fill ups, Idioms - Match the following, Error spotting - grammar/words/punctuation, Sentence Correction|
|Reading Comprehension||Purpose of the passage, Strengthen and Weaken, Assumption and Supporting Statement, Flaw, and Discrepancy, Inference & Conclusion Drawn, Passage-based questions, Author's Point of View, the main idea of the passage.|
|General Awareness||Environment & ecology, Politics & Constitution, History & Geography, Governance/Law, Economy/Awards, Health, Technology, Current events, Education, Labor, Media/Advertisements, Literature/ Art/ Culture/ Music, Sports|
The topics for M.A. Syllabus relevant from each of the sections are listed in the table below.
|English Proficiency||30||Word Choice/ sentence correction, Odd-one-out & Analogies, Synonyms & Antonyms, Grammar, Verbal reasoning, Reading comprehension||English Language and its usage|
|Mathematics and Logical Reasoning||30||Basic Arithmetic, Basic Geometry, Basic Trigonometry, Basic Statistics, Number Series, Data interpretation, Logical reasoning||Quantitative Skills and Logical Reasoning|
|General Awareness||40||Politics, Social Studies, Science & Technology, Environment, Sports, Art & Culture, Indian History||Current Affairs & understanding of Social Issues|
TISSNET Exam Pattern
The TISSNET 2020 is a computer-based test (CBT) which offers admissions into various courses offered by the TISS institutes. The question paper mostly consists of objective/multiple-choice questions.
- Question Paper: Candidates need to answer 100 questions in 100 minutes. All the questions will be multiple choice questions.
- Marking Scheme: Candidate will be awarded 1 mark for every correct answer. There is no negative marking for any incorrect answer. However, the cutoffs will be high when compared to other entrance exams of the same kind.
- Syllabus: The TISSNET Exam Pattern 2020 consists of General Knowledge - a major section of the paper, which will carry 40 marks, while English Proficiency and Maths & Logical Reasoning will carry 30 marks each.
- TISSNET exam for B.A. programs also termed as TISS-BAT. It will be held in April. This exam has two sections.
- Part A is a 60-minutes test having multiple choice questions on analytical, logical and social awareness. Part B comprises of written test with a set of descriptive questions in English.
- Although, both sections are in one question paper, both the sections will have individual cutoff marks for evaluation.
|Section||Number of questions||Total marks|
|Maths and Logical Reasoning||30||30|
- Candidates who have applied for a single program or multiple programs through TISSNET 2020 will be attempting a single question paper with 100 questions for 100 minutes. This will also include candidates who have chosen HRM in combination with other programs.
- Visually impaired candidates will be given an option to have a SCRIBE to assist them to complete the test. The SCRIBE should be an undergraduate student and should bring a valid ID proof.
- Persons with Disabilities who have a disability of 40% or more will get a compensatory extra time of 20 minutes per hour.
How to Prepare for TISSNET?
Preparation for TISSNET or any entrance exam for that matter needs mainly three things. Those things are determination, patience, and perseverance. You need a strong determination to crack the exam at any cost. You need the enormous patience to go through every step needed to achieve your goal. Finally, you need the perseverance to not be disappointed even when faced with difficulties along the way. So make sure you have these three things before you start your preparation.
Brush Up the Fundamentals
The sections of English Proficiency and Mathematics are purely concept-driven in TISSNET. So, everyone should be brushing up on their concepts to develop the required levels of competence for the exam. If you are strong on the basics then you will be able to answer the question however the way they have twisted it. The first stage of the preparation involves concentrating mainly on the basic concepts of all the subjects.
Intense Practice Sessions
In TISS-NET, the sections of Logical Reasoning and some parts of English Language Proficiency can only be answered if you have enough practice with those types of questions. Gather as many practice papers, mock tests, and other stuff so that you could practice as much as you can. Intense practices make you familiar with the structure and type of questions in these sections.
Increase your Knowledge through Reading
The section of General Awareness contains questions that are based on the current affairs in TISS-NET. So you need to develop a very important habit of reading English newspapers, blogs, and magazines daily. This will increase your knowledge about the things that are happening around you. If you develop this habit, you will be able to answer the General Awareness section in the least amount of time, so that you could use the rest of the time to answer the other sections.
TISSNET 2020 Registration
Candidates who are willing to appear for the TISSNET 2020 need to fill in the application form. The registration process for TISSNET can be done through online mode from the official website.
- Application Form Date: TISSNET 2020 Application Form will be available from the 3rd week of October as per the latest update on the official website.
- Application Mode: Registrations for the TISSNET 2020 can be done via both - online and offline mode.
- Application Form: Candidates can apply for the TISSNET 2020 online by filling the Application Form. Candidates can also apply via offline i.e. by filling the Application Form and send via speed post.
- Application Form Payment: Candidates can pay the TISS entrance exam fees online or via challan from State Bank of India. The application fee cost is INR 1030/-.
- Multiple Programs: A candidate can apply for a maximum of three programs across any two of the TISS campus and one of main centre location. A candidate has to pay for each of those programs from a single online form only.
- Documents need to upload: The registration process for the TISSNET 2020 involves uploading of scanned photograph and signature. The prescribed formats and the sizes are given in the table below.
|Certificates (if reserved category)||512 kb|
TISSNET Admit Card 2020 Download
The admit card is the most important document to be taken to the examination centre on the day of the test. Only those candidates who have paid the application fees and submitted the application form will receive the admit card.
- Admit Card: Candidates can download the TISSNET Admit Card from the official website for the TISSNET exam.
- Admit Card Details: Candidate Name, Date of Birth, Exam Centres, etc. are mentioned at the admit card. Candidates need to carry the Admit Card to the TISS entrance exam.
- Photo ID Card: Along with the hall ticket, it is mandatory to carry a valid photo identity card to the exam centre.
- Opted for a Scribe: In case a candidate has opted for a scribe, he must produce a valid photo id (original/photocopy) and an affidavit to prove the same.
TISSNET Exam Centres
The official conducting authority has released the list of cities where the exam will be conducted. Check the list below to select your preferred test center.
- Exam Centres: Candidates can opt for the test centers as per their choice from a total of 39 TISSNET 2020 Exam centres. But candidates should keep in mind that it will be allotted only one exam center which would not change afterward.
- Exam Centre Details: Details of the TISS exam center will be mentioned on the Admit Card. Candidates are advised to check all the details related to the exam center. The exam is generally conducted in major Indian cities such as State capitals.
- Choice of Preference: The candidates can select the exam center as per their preference for feasibility based upon the native place.
TISSNET Results 2020
TISS will release the results for the TISSNET on its official website.
- Results: TISSNET results will be declared in February for M.A programs and in the 2nd week of June for the B.A. program tentatively. Candidates can check the TISS exam results on the official website.
- Credential: Candidates can download their TISSNET 2020 Results from the official website by entering the login Id and Password.
- Scorecard: The scorecards consists of having the overall marks and qualifying status of the test takers.
- Rounds: Based on results, candidates will be shortlisted for the next rounds namely Pre-Interview Test (PIT) and Personal Interview (PI) and also written tests. These rounds will be held in TISS campuses across Mumbai, Hyderabad, and Guwahati.
NOTE: For B.A. programs, the TISS authorities will release two waitlists before the commencement of classes.
TISSNET Cut off 2020
TISS will release the official Cut Off for the TISSNET 2020 in February 2019. These are the minimum amount of marks required for any candidate to be eligible for the next selection rounds for the admission. A few of the factors that determine the TISSNET cutoff includes cutoff, the difficulty level of the exam, the number of candidates attending the exam, etc. The following table contains the current year's category wise cutoffs.
|Program||Category||TISSNET 2019 Cutoff Marks (Official)|
|MA in Human Resource Management and Labour Relations (Mumbai)||General category||75|
Official Cut-Off: The following are the TISSNET cutoffs that make an applicant eligible for the counseling process.
|TISSNET Programs||TISSNET Cutoff|
|MA Human Resource Management||67|
|MA Globalisation and Labour||70|
|MA Public Health||61|
|MPH Social Epidemiology||50|
|MA in Clinical Psychology||57|
|MA Culture and Media Studies||65|
|MA in Mental Health||54|
|MA Women Studies||48|
|MA Social Entrepreneurship||62|
These data are based on the TISSNET 2019 exams. The TISS exam cutoffs might vary every year depending on the difficulty of the paper and the number of candidates.
TISSNET 2020 Counselling
There are two stages in the process of TISSNET counseling. Eligible candidates for admission into the college are filtered through these stages. Those two stages are the Pre-interview test and Personal Interview.
- Counseling: Candidates who cleared the cutoff will be eligible to participate in the TISSNET 2020 Counselling.
- Pre-Interview Test/ Group Discussion: There will be 2 sections with a total of 35-45 minutes and is a written test conducted as part of the selection process.
- Personal Interview (PI): TISSNET exam will conduct the personal Interview to select the right candidates for admission. Candidates are expected to be acquainted with the program for which they have applied.
TISSNET Reservation of Seats
The applicants under SC/ST category are privileged with a certain reservation in the admission. Following are the seats allocated to the reserved category candidates in TISSNET :
|Category||TISS Mumbai||TISS Tuljapur||TISS Hyderabad||TISS Guwahati|
|Children of the Armed Forces Employees||5%||5%||5%||5%|
|Candidates from the North-Eastern States||-||-||-||66%|
The scores of the national level entrance exam are accepted at TISS Mumbai, Tuljalpur, Guwahati, Hyderabad, The Banyan Chennai, MHAT Chennai, and G-SET Ranchi. The final admissions to TISS courses at all these institutes are governed by Reservation Policy defined by the conducting authority. Each TISSNET Score accepting institute has a reservation policy for Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribe (ST), Other Backward Classes (OBC), and for People with Disability (PWD).
The option to fill your category comes at the time of registration. Your caste certificate must be uploaded with the form to claim reservation. TISSNET 2020 might be scheduled in the second week of January (tentative), the TISSNET application form is generally released in the last week of October.
- The policy makes it compulsory to offer 66% seats to the students of the north-east region.
- Thus, the remaining 34% of seats are available for the students across the country.
- Educators working at any of the government institutes or DIET’s can apply for the master’s program offered at TISS through the defined channels.
- There is a separate quota defined for Kashmiri students, children of army personnel or defense personnel and government officers who are working at government offices at Central or State level.
Reservation for International Candidates
Admission of International candidates/ students will be done through the International Relations Office (IRO) of TISS for any of the Master’s Degree program. Students will be admitted at the beginning of the degree program, in case of the Master’s program. However, for a short-term course, students can be admitted during any part of the year. All students of foreign origin who hold citizenship certificate with or without Indian citizenship certificate are eligible to apply as international candidates.
If there are any problems during any stage of the exam, contact the official conducting authorities. Their contact details are given below:
Address: V.N. Purav Marg, Deonar, Mumbai-400088
Q. How many people appear for the TISSNET Exam?
Ans. Every year there are nearly forty thousand people who appear for the TISSET Exam. Among them, seventeen thousand people alone register for the MA (HRM & LR).
Q. What is the procedure for verifying the original documents?
Ans. The document verification will be done before reopening the classes, from April to June. Original documents from the 10th standard onwards are needed to be submitted for verification.
Q. Can I apply for multiple courses in TISSNET?
Ans. Yes. You can apply for multiple courses in the TISSNET but you need to mention them in the application form and then pay for all of those during the process of registration itself.
Q. What is a pre-admission medical check-up?
Ans. All the candidates who are selected in the final list for admission into the programs need to undergo a medical check-up. It is a mandatory procedure and is done by medical officers on the day of the document verification itself.
Q. What are the eligibility criteria for MA Human Resources Management and Labour Relations program?
Ans. The criteria include that the candidate has any bachelor degree of 3 years or its equivalent course from any of the recognized university in any discipline.
Q. What are the total number of seats in the MA HRM & LR course?
Ans. There are 60 seats allotted for the MA HRM & LR course in TISS.
Q. Which are all the other programs offered by the TISS?
Ans. TISS offer fulltime M.A./ MHA / M.Sc./ Law program. In January M.Phil. /Ph.D. will be offered in June Certificate / Diploma.
Q. Does the TISS provide hostel facilities?
Ans. Yes. TISS does provide hostel facilities but they are of limited quantity. More preference will be given to the candidates who are coming from far away places.
Q. Can I change the date of the pre-interview test and personal interview?
Ans. The option of changing the date of PIT/PI will be allowed only if that current date is clashing with any other exam. The changed date will be only within the schedule announced by TISS.
Q. Where will the PIT/PI rounds be held?
Ans. The PIT and the PI rounds for the admission into the TISS will be held at three locations. They are Mumbai, Hyderabad, and Guwahati. The cost of boarding and lodging will not be provided by the TISS, except for some selected SC/ST candidates.