JEE Main eligibility criteria 2023 has been restored to 75% by the NTA. Bombay High Court's 75% eligibility issue hearing was on Apr 6, 2023. The High Court has mentioned that the petition would be applicable for admissions after Jun 2023.
Candidates are advised to check their eligibility before applying for JEE Main 2023 on the official website - jeemain.nta.nic.in
JEE Main eligibility criteria 2023 deals with various factors like educational qualification, age limit, and age relaxation for reserved categories.
Table of Contents
- What are the Eligibility Criteria for JEE Main?
- JEE Main Eligibility Criteria 2023 Highlights
- What's New in JEE Main Eligibility Criteria 2023?
- Eligibility for JEE Main Based on Age
- Eligibility for JEE Main Based on Nationality
- JEE Main Eligibility Criteria 2023 Based on Educational Qualification
- JEE Main 2023 Reservation of Seats
- JEE Main Eligibility Criteria 2023 Based on Subject Combination
- JEE Main 2023 State of Eligibility
- JEE Main 2023 Eligibility Criteria: Admissions to NITs, IIITs and CFTIs
- JEE Main Eligibility Criteria 2023 for Droppers
- Provisions for Persons with Disabilities (PwD)
- JEE Main 2023 Documents Required
What are the Eligibility Criteria for JEE Main?
Before completing the JEE Main 2023 application form, candidates are recommended to review the JEE Main 2023 eligibility requirements. At a later stage of the JEE Main 2023 admission process, candidates who do not meet the JEE Main IIT eligibility requirements 2023 would be disqualified. On jeemain.nta.nic.in 2023, candidates may find the official notice as well as the JEE Main eligibility requirements.
|JEE Main Dress Code 2023||JEE Main 2023 Exam Day Guidelines and Instructions|
JEE Main Eligibility Criteria 2023 Highlights
JEE Main eligibility criteria were revised earlier to 75%, considering COVID-19. Hence, JEE applicants have requested in the petition that the conducting body remove the 75% criteria or lower it to 50%. The High Court was about to hear the petition on Feb 21, 2023. But, the court has rescheduled the date to Apr 6, 2023.
Earlier, Union Minister Dr Ramesh Pokhriyal 'Nishank' has waived the minimum requirement of 50% in PCM & an aggregate of 10+2. All candidates who have passed class 12 with PCM subjects/10+3 Diploma with Mathematics can apply for JEE Main Paper 2 (B.Arch). In addition, NTA has restored the 75% eligibility criteria for Engineering admission. Applicants must secure 75% marks in class 12 for the General category and 65% for SC and ST categories.
- B.E./B.Tech (Paper 1): The prescribed subject combination makes it mandatory for candidates to have studied Physics and Mathematics with one subject from Chemistry, Biology, and Biotechnology.
- For B. Arch. (Paper 2): The subject combination prescribed makes it mandatory for candidates to have studied and passed Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics at the 10+2 level.
- For B. Planning (Paper 3): Candidates must have studied Mathematics in the 12th standard.
JEE Main eligibility criteria 2023 include age criteria, the total number of attempts, eligibility marks, pass percentage, subjects pursued in the qualifying exam, and the year of passing or appearance in the qualifying exam. Candidates should make sure they have checked their eligibility for JEE Main 2023 and are eligible to take the exam before filling out the application form. The information filled by the candidates in the application form will be verified, which means they must be valid.
Also Read: JEE Mains Passing Marks 2023
The admit card will be issued only to those candidates who satisfy the eligibility criteria. Pay close attention to JEE Main 2023 eligibility criteria mentioned in the table below for reserved and unreserved categories.
|Criteria||Eligibility of General and OBC||Eligibility for Reserved Categories|
|Minimum Qualifying Marks (For Admission in NITs, IIITs, IITs, and CFTIs)||75% marks in 12th (aggregate)||65% marks in aggregate|
|Age Limit||There are no age limit criteria for JEE Main. However, students are advised to ensure the age limit criteria of the institute, they are applying for.|
|Maximum Number of Attempts||2 times a year, for three consecutive years|
|Number of Subjects in Qualifying Examination||5 Subjects|
|Year of Passing Class 12||Passing after 2019 or 2020 or appearing in 2023|
- Eligibility Criteria for Improvement Students: If a candidate appears for the class XII examination in a particular state and, after passing, decides to take up an improvement exam in another state, the first exam in which the candidate passed is taken into consideration.
What's New in JEE Main Eligibility Criteria 2023?
This section is updated as per the changes by NTA in the eligibility criteria. Due to the pandemic, NTA announced new criteria for candidates appearing in JEE Main 2023. These new JEE Main eligibility criteria 2023 are mentioned in the points below.
Valid Citizen ID: To appear for JEE Main 2023, each candidate - Indian or Foreigner must have a valid ID with them. Indian candidates should have Aadhar card/Voter’s ID or other valid citizen ID. Foreign candidates must possess their Passports with a sanctioned visa.
Provision for Candidates from Jammu & Kashmir, Meghalaya, and Assam: Candidates appearing for JEE Main 2023 from these states are required to choose their JEE Main exam centres from these states themselves. Along with this, They are to submit the details mentioned below,
- Passport Number
- Ration Card
- Bank Account Number or any other Govt. ID Number
No Significance of Class 12 Marks: Class 12 will not significantly contribute to JEE Main score 2023. The calculation for the All India Rank will be done solely on the performance of candidates in JEE Main 2023.
Eligibility for JEE Main Based on Age
As far as JEE Main 2023 exam is concerned, there is no age limit for JEE Main application. Candidates who have completed their class 12 from a school/institution recognized by the Govt. of India can attend JEE Main.
As long as the candidate has scored above JEE Main eligibility marks in class 12/equivalent examination in 2021 or 2022 or is appearing for his board examinations in 2023, they are eligible to appear in JEE Main 2023 examination irrespective of their age. However, the institute to which the candidate is applying may have an age limit.
So, all candidates must check for each college's JEE Main eligibility age criterion or look into JEE Main eligibility criteria of the institutes they are targeting.
Year of Passing Qualifying Exam for JEE Main 2023
Candidates with a qualification of class 12 or an equivalent qualifying exam in 2021 or 2022 / appearing in class 12 or an equivalent qualifying exam in 2023 are eligible to apply for JEE Main 2023. Eligibility for the year of passing is tabulated below.
|2019 or Before||Not Eligible|
|2023 and Beyond||Not Eligible|
Eligibility for JEE Main Based on Nationality
As far as Nationality is concerned, JEE Main eligibility criteria 2023 state that only the code of the State in which a candidate has passed their 12 standard examinations is considered for making a candidate eligible for JEE Main exam.
Any aspiring candidate who has passed or is appearing in class 12th from NIOS should select the state code of JEE Main eligibility according to the study centre's state. For Indian candidates who pass the class XII (or equivalent) examination from an institution abroad, the state code of JEE Main eligibility will be decided based on the permanent address in India as given in the passport.
Similarly, for Indian aspirants passing the class XII (or equivalent) examination from Nepal/Bhutan, the State code of JEE Main eligibility will be determined based on the permanent address in India as given in the passport.
For OCI (Overseas Citizen of India) or PIO (Person of Indian Origin) aspirants who complete their class 12 or any equivalent exam in India, the JEE Main state eligibility code is the same for an Indian citizen.
Candidates who belong to this category and pass their class 12 exam from any foreign institution are eligible only for Other State Quota Seats or the All India Quota Seats (but strictly not for Home State Quota Seats). They are eligible for admission into NITs, IIEST, and other-CFTI.
JEE Main Eligibility Criteria 2023 based on Educational Qualification
Given below are JEE Main eligibility criteria 2023 as per educational qualification requirements. The table includes a detailed description of the eligibility criteria for aspiring candidates. The table also briefly describes the candidates who will not apply for the JEE Main 2023 exam.
|10+2 Qualification||Candidates must have passed the Class 12th Exam or any equivalent qualifying examination in 2021 or 2022. Candidates appearing in the Class 12th Exam or any equivalent qualifying examination in 2023 are also eligible to appear in JEE Main 2023.|
|Ineligible Candidates||Candidates who have passed Class 12th or qualifying examination in 2029 or before as well as those who will appear in such examination in after 2023 are not eligible to write JEE Main 2023.|
|Candidates who had appeared in class 12th or its equivalent qualifying Examination in 2020-21, did not pass in 2020-21, but passed in 2021-22 are not eligible to appear in JEE Main 2023.|
List of Qualifying Exams for JEE Main 2023 Eligibility Criteria
Following is the list of qualifying exams for JEE Main 2023 eligibility criteria.
- 10+2 system final examination, conducted by any recognized Central/ State Board, such as Central Board of Secondary Education, New Delhi; Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations, New Delhi, etc.
- Intermediate or two-year Pre-University examination conducted by a recognized Board or University.
- Final examination of the two-year course of the Joint Services Wing of the National Defense Academy
- Senior Secondary School Examination conducted by the National Institute of Open Schooling with a minimum of five subjects.
- Any Public School/ Board/ University examination in India or any foreign country is recognized as equivalent to the 10+2 system by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU).
- Higher Secondary Certificate Vocational Examination.
- A diploma is recognized by AICTE or a State board of technical education for at least 3 years.
- General Certificate Education(GCE) examination (London/Cambridge/Sri Lanka) at the Advanced(A) level.
- High School Certificate Examination of the Cambridge University or International Baccalaureate Diploma of the International Baccalaureate Office, Geneva.
JEE Main 2023 Reservation of Seats
As per the Government of India rules, candidates belonging to specific categories are admitted to seats reserved for them based on the relaxation criteria. The reservation of seats in JEE Main exam was introduced to give an equal opportunity to candidates belonging to weaker sections of society.
- Disability Benefits: Candidates with 40% or more disability will benefit from reservation for admission into NITs/ IIITs and CFTIs. But those candidates must belong to the category of reservation as mentioned by the Government of India (GOI).
- No Letters/ Emails: Letters or emails addressed to JEE Main secretariat regarding the reservation criteria will be entertained.
The name of all those categories is mentioned in the table below.
|Categories with Relaxation Under JEE Main 2023 Eligibility Criteria||Relaxation Percentage|
|Other Backward Classes (OBC) - Non-Creamy Layer (NCL)||27%|
|Scheduled Castes (SC)||15%|
|Scheduled Tribes (ST)||7.5%|
|Persons with Disability (PWD)||3%|
|General - Economically Weaker Section (Gen-EWS)||10%|
JEE Main 2023 Institute-Wise Reservation of Seats
JEE Main eligibility reservation criteria followed by various institutions is given below:
|Institution||Criteria Laid Out|
|NIT (Home Quota)||50% of seats are reserved for candidates belonging to the state where the NIT is situated|
|NIT (Other State Quota)||50% of seats are reserved for candidates who do not belong to the state where the NIT is situated|
|State Engineering Colleges||State Quota|
|Government Funded Technical Institutions||Based on the All India Quota|
|Centre Funded Institutes||Home Quota/State Quota/All India Quota|
|State-Funded Institutes||Home Quota/State Quota/All India Quota|
|IIIT||Home Quota/State Quota/All India Quota|
JEE Main 2023 Maximum Number of Attempts
It is permissible for candidates to appear for two attempts of JEE main 2023. The aspirants can do so only for three consecutive years from passing the XII standard.
Read More: JEE Main Number of Attempts 2023
JEE Main Eligibility Criteria 2023 Based on Subject Combination
It is mandatory for all students appearing for JEE Main that they must have pursued at least five subjects, with Physics and Maths as their core subjects in their qualifying examinations. Students who have studied less than five subjects in their qualifying exam are not eligible for JEE Main 2023.
The other institutes participating in JoSAA/CSAB admission process may also use the criteria mentioned above. In the case of state university-affiliated colleges, the state university will release a separate list for admission decided by the university per se.
|Permitted||Candidates must have passed the class 12th/qualifying examination with at least five subjects to be eligible for writing JEE Main 2023.|
|Not Permitted||Candidates with four subjects are not permitted to write the exam and if such candidates appear by furnishing wrong information, their rank/result will not be declared.|
Any one of these subjects- Chemistry, Biology, Biotechnology or Technical Vocational
Any other subjects
|B.Arch.||Must have passed the qualifying examination with Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry, or 10+3 Diploma in Mathematics|
|B.Plan||Must have passed the qualifying examination in Mathematics.|
JEE Main 2023 State of Eligibility
JEE Main's state code of eligibility refers to the code corresponding to the state from which the candidate has passed or is appearing for the class 12 or equivalent qualifying examination. This state code enables the candidate to become eligible for appearing in JEE Main 2023 exam, and this code is independent of the candidate's native place or residence.
Candidates can refer to the following table for State codes (State name & State code): The table consists of all the states in which JEE Main 2023 exam will be conducted and the corresponding state codes.
|Andaman & Nicobar Islands (UT)||01||Goa||11||Maharashtra||21||Tamil Nadu||31|
|Arunachal Pradesh||03||Haryana||13||Meghalaya||23||Uttar Pradesh||33|
|Bihar||05||Jammu & Kashmir||15||Nagaland||25||West Bengal||35|
|Dadra & Nagar Haveli (UT)||08||Kerala||18||Punjab||28|
|Daman & Diu (UT)||09||Lakshadweep (UT)||19||Rajasthan||29|
|Delhi (NCT)||10||Madhya Pradesh||20||Sikkim||30|
Note: The state code to determine JEE Main eligibility for improvement students is determined in the following way:
Suppose the candidate appears for the improvement exam from a different state than when they passed the initial class 12 or equivalent qualifying exam. In that case, the candidate’s state code of eligibility will be from where the candidate first passed the class 12 or equivalent exam.
- Indian Nationals who appeared for the class 12 board exam can choose the state where their permanent residence lies, as per their passport.
- If a candidate appeared for the improvement exam from a state different from the one where he/she initially gave the board examination, the state where exam was first given must be chosen.
JEE Main 2023 Eligibility Criteria: Admissions to NITs, IIITs and CFTIs
- Admission to NITs, IIITs, and GFTIs requires either a minimum of 75% in the 12th grade or placement in the top 20% of their class (65% for SC/ST applicants).
- JEE Main 2023 Admission (B.Arch/B.Planning): He/She must have obtained at least a 50% overall score on the 10+2 exam or an equivalent exam from a recognised board.
JEE Main 2023: Subject Combinations for Admissions
- To be eligible for admission to NITs, IIITs, and GFTIs through JEE Main 2023, applicants must have passed the prerequisite exam.
- B.Tech/B.E. : Physics, Math, and one more subject, such as Chemistry, Biology, Biotechnology, or Technical Vocational topics, are required.
- Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry for B.Arch.
- B. Planning: A passing grade in math on the qualifying exam is required.
JEE Main Eligibility Criteria 2023 for Droppers
As per the JEE Main eligibility criteria, there is no specific age limit to apply for JEE Main 2023. However, there is a criterion for the year of passing class 12th; candidates who have taken a gap year post class 12 or are reappearing for the exam may follow JEE Main eligibility criteria mentioned below.
- Candidates must have 75% aggregate or fall in the top 20 percentile of their respective boards. SC/ST candidates should have a 65% aggregate in order to qualify for the JEE Main eligibility criteria 2023.
- A candidate can appear only three times in succession for JEE Main.
- To appear for JEE Main 2023, candidates should have completed their class 12 exams in 2021 or 2022.
- Candidates must have completed their class 12th in these subjects - Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics/Biology/Biotechnology.
Provisions for Persons with Disabilities (PwD)
Candidates with a disability should fill in the type and percentage of disability correctly in the online application form for JEE Main 2023.
Scribe/ Reader: Candidates will have the discretion of opting for/her own scribe/reader or may submit the request to the centre superintendent for the same. Only the candidates, who have 40% or more disabilities, will be provided with a scribe/reader on the request.
Essentials for Reader/ Scribe: The centre superintendent will identify the scribe/ reader when a request is received from the candidate, he/she would be allowed to meet the scribe a day before the examination to verify the suitability of the scribe.
JEE Main 2023 Documents Required
To enroll the candidates, they will be required to produce the below-mentioned documents for JEE Main eligibility:
- A government-issued photo ID proof
- A recent photograph: 10-100 kb in size
- Scanned signature of the candidate: 10-100 kb in size
- Scorecard of class 10
- Scorecard of class 12
What are the eligibility criteria for JEE Main 2023?
Candidates must have passed the class 12th exam or any equivalent qualifying examination in 2021 or 2022. Candidates appearing in the class 12th exam or any equivalent qualifying examination in 2023 are also eligible to appear in JEE Main 2023.
Is there an age limit for the JEE Main exam?
No, there is no age limit criteria for JEE Main exam.
Do the candidates have to upload Gen-EWS/SC/ST/OBC/PwD or any other category certificates?
Yes, if the applicant belongs to either of the categories mentioned above, he/she will have to attach the certificate that testifies the same. If the certificate is not in the candidate's possession, he/she may attach a self-declaration for the time being.
Does JEE Mains eligibility criteria 2023 gives preference to state of birth of a candidate?
The state of eligibility does not depend on place of birth or of residence of the candidate. The states where candidates pass their qualifying exam will be considered for eligibility. In case candidates give their qualifying exam in Nepal/Bhutan, the state of their permanent residence will be taken into consideration.
What are the eligibility criteria to apply for NITs, IIITs and GFTIs?
The eligibility criteria to apply for NITs, IIITs and GFTIs is passing 12th class with minimum 75% marks (65% for SC/ST candidates).
If I appear for improvement in four or five subjects, which scores will be considered for JEE Main 2023?
The highest marks scored out of the two attempts will be considered if the candidate appeared for improvement in four or five subjects.
Am I eligible to appear for the third time for JEE Main?
Yes, candidates can appear for JEE Main for three consecutive years.
Is there any separate eligibility requirement for international applicants?
Foreign nationals who do not fall under NRI or OCI category need not write JEE Main for admission into IITs. They can directly appear for JEE Advanced.