Looking for an alternative of CAT Exam? Go for CMAT. Get admission into MBA and PGDM courses in over 1000 B-Schools across India with help of the CMAT 2020 Exam. Score 70-80% in CMAT. Want to know how? Follow the preparation tips given below.
The potential candidates can use the different CMAT books from various online portals to score well in the exam.
- What is CMAT?
- CMAT Exam Dates
- Eligibility Criteria for CMAT
- CMAT Syllabus
- How to Prepare for CMAT?
- CMAT Exam Pattern
- CMAT Application Process
- How to download CMAT Admit Card?
- How to check result of CMAT 2020?
- CMAT FAQs
- Related Exams
What is CMAT?
Common Management Admission Test (CMAT) is a national level examination held for admission to MBA, PGDM, Executive PGDM, and PGCM courses. This National Level exam facilitates institutes around India to select suitable students for admission in all management programs approved by AICTE. First edition of CMAT was conducted in 2012 and until 2015, CMAT was conducted twice a year.
Conducting Authority: All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) was conducting CMAT exam until 2018 but after 2018 National Testing Agency (NTA) was held responsible for conducting CMAT. The test will be conducted as per the guidance of Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India.
Mode: Common Management Admission Test is conducted through Online mode and it is a Computer-Based Test (CBT). CMAT examination will use highly secured IT software and encryption to ensure delivery of tests just in time. This will ensure no leakages and other malpractices.
Frequency: Once every year at end of January Common Management Admission Test (CMAT) will be conducted by authority. CMAT exam is conducted in two shifts.
Admissions: CMAT 2020 will grant admission to courses such as MBA, PGCM, PGDM and Executive PGDM in India.
Colleges accepting CMAT scores: All AICTE approved Institutions, Universities, Affiliated colleges will accept CMAT 2020 Score. Some of Leading Business Schools have decided to keep out from CMAT reason being the "Late Announcement" by AICTE. But still, quite a number of colleges are accepting CMAT Score.
Sample Papers: Referring sample papers will help candidates to know about CMAT 2020 exam pattern. Candidates can download or refer to sample papers from official website.
Results: Results for CMAT 2020 will be declared on February 5, 2020.
CMAT applications will be notified in month of November 2019. Exam will be conducted in month of January and results will be out in February. Highlights of CMAT 2020 exam are as follows:
|Exam Name||Common Management Admission Test (CMAT)|
|Conducting Body||National Testing Agency (NTA)|
|Mode||Online i.e. Computer-based Test (CBT)|
|Participating Candidates||2 Lakh+|
|Maximum CMAT Score||400 for 100 Questions|
|Time Frame||3 Hours for 4 sections with 25 Questions each|
|Official Address||National Testing Agency (NTA)C-20 1A/8, Sector 62, IITK Outreach Centre, Noida - 201309|
|Contact Details||E-mail Id: email@example.comHelpline No.: 0120-3946612|
CMAT 2020 Exam Dates
Candidates should make sure that they familiarize themselves with CMAT 2020 exam dates so that they should not miss out on any of important events. Exam dates involve hierarchical order and in order to avoid mistakes, candidates should be very cautious about the release of exam dates starting from registration onwards up to Counselling Process. Parameters involved in exam dates are as follows:
- Registration: CMAT 2020 Application Form will be available on official website i.e. National Testing Agency (NTA) from November 12, 2019 and last date to submit Application Form is on December 17, 2019.
- Admit Card: CMAT 2020 Admit Card will be issued by authority online on January 15, 2020.
- CMAT 2020: CMAT 2020 will be conducted online i.e. Computer-based Test (CBT) on January 27, 2020.
- Results: After completion of examination result will be declared online on February 5, 2020.
- Counselling: Once candidates clear CMAT 2020, he/she will be called for counselling process on February 25, 2020.
|Application Form Start Date||November 12, 2019|
|Application Form Last Date||December 17, 2019|
|Admit Card Availability||January 15, 2020|
|Last date to Download Admit Card||19th January 2020|
|CMAT Exam Date||January 27, 2020|
|Results Announcement||February 5, 2020|
|Commencement of Counselling||February 25, 2020|
CMAT Exam Eligibility Criteria
NTA has set some criteria for taking CMAT Test and it is advisable that candidate check whether they clear CMAT eligibility criteria before starting the application form.
For PGDM/ MBA
The CMAT eligibility for MBA is that Candidates should have a recognized Bachelor’s Degree with a minimum duration of 3 years.
Bachelor’s Degree related to programme with a minimum duration of 3 years.
For Executive PGDM
Candidate must have a recognized Bachelor’s Degree with a minimum duration of 3 years. Candidates who are looking to pursue degree in executive MBA needs to have a minimum of 2 years of Work Experience.
Qualification Criteria: Candidate must be a graduate (10+2+3) from any recognized university and applicants who are pursuing final year of their studies can also apply for CMAT 2020.
Marks: General category candidates must have scored a minimum of 50% marks and SC/ST category students must have secured 45% marks to fulfill eligibility criteria.
There is no age limit to appear in CMAT 2020.
CMAT Reservations criteria 2020
Reservation criteria for each category candidates are given below:
- In case of institutes run by Central Government, 15% of seats are reserved for category Scheduled Caste (SC), 7.5% for category Scheduled Tribe (ST) 27% for category Other Backward Classes belonging to “ Non Creamy layer” (OBC-NCL).
- Each category will have 5% reservations for Persons with Disabilities (PwD) as defined in Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016 (RPwD Act 2016).
CMAT Syllabus 2020
The official conducting authority of CMAT, which is NTA does not release any official syllabus. However, CMAT 2020 Syllabus will consist of Quantitative Techniques & Data Interpretation, Logical Reasoning, Verbal Ability and General Awareness.
The following table shows various concepts that might be in syllabus of CMAT. The data present below is as per the CMAT Syllabus pdf.
|Language Skills||Language usage and their rules, Para jumble, Syntax and correct grammar, Vocabulary, Fill in blanks, Idioms, Reading comprehension, Anonyms, and Synonyms|
|Quantitative Skills||Data interpretation, problem-solving, data sufficiency, arithmetic, geometry, modern mathematics, algebra and number systems|
|Logical Reasoning||Family tree, arrangement, numeric grid, coding and series|
|General Awareness||Personalities, Books and authors, History, Politics, Economics, Business, Sports, Social Developments, Entertainment, Current Affairs of National and International Economy, Personalities in News|
How to prepare for CMAT 2020?
CMAT 2020 Exam preparation tips can come in handy to qualify CMAT examination. They help you prepare a proper preparation schedule and crack CMAT exam by getting good scores.
Proper Practice: Sometimes candidates might get bored to keep practising sample questions. You might even stop taking them seriously. But easiest way to avoid these things is to convince yourself that next day is exam and you are still a long way from learning all of those questions. This sense of urgency will automatically convert your mindset to put in more concentration into practice.
Quantitative Techniques, Data Interpretation, and Logical Reasoning are topics CMAT exam consists off. These three sections can fetch candidates a lot of marks and candidate can purely improve these things if they are willing to practice as much as they can. Intense practising will simultaneously make a candidate learn aspect of time management.
A proper preparation schedule makes all difference when preparing for any entrance examination and for this purpose make sure that you create best schedule that would suit you and benefit you. Applicants should make sure that preparation schedule consists of following parameters:
- Practice of Previous Year Question Papers
- Practice of Mock Test Papers of CMAT 2020
Time management: Time management is an important quality which helps candidates in exam to make sure that they are able to go through whole test in given time, without missing out any of questions.
Tricks and Shortcuts: Candidates should not rely on various tips and shortcuts that other people teach. You might not be able to recollect them in CMAT exam and would cost you a couple of questions. So instead you should come up with your own version of tips and tricks because you will not be forgetting them in exam when you have created them on your own and also using these tricks and shortcuts will help you to secure extra time, that could be used to solve tougher questions in exam.
CMAT Exam Pattern 2020
CMAT exam will be conducted on January 27, 2020 in two shifts. CMAT 2020 will be in English only. Exam Pattern of CMAT is given below:
- Mode: CMAT 2020 will be conducted online i.e. Computer-based Test (CBT).
- Paper Pattern: CMAT 2020 exam pattern consists of 100 questions which are divided into 4 sections with 25 questions each.
- Negative Marks: For each wrong answer, 1 mark is deducted and for every correct answer, 4 marks are allotted.
- Duration: 3 hours will be given for you to complete examination.
- Syllabus: Language Comprehension, Quantitative Techniques, and Data Interpretation, Logical Reasoning, General Awareness.
- Marks and Medium: Maximum mark in CMAT examination is 400 and medium in which exam conducted is in English.
|Type of Questions||No. of Questions||Maximum Marks|
|Quantitative Techniques & Data Interpretation||25||100|
How to apply for CMAT 2020?
Application Process is one of important steps in exam point of view. Steps highlighting process involved how to fill CMAT Application Form is notified below:
- Step 1: Candidates must enter required details for Registration/ Login page to continue to fill Application Form.
- Step 2: Once you have logged in to your account you can Fill the Details as per required in Application Form.
- Step 3: After filling Application Form for CMAT 2020 you have to Upload Scanned Documents.
- Step 4: Before submitting Application Form you have to pay Registration Fee Payment through online (Credit Card, Debit Card/ Net Banking) or offline (E-Challan).
- Step 5: Candidates need to view CMAT Registration Summary and then need to save Filled in Form and then press "Submit"
Note: Candidates need to take a printout of Application Form and payment receipt once Application process has been completed. These can be useful for future references.
CMAT Application Form 2020
Application form will be released online in middle of November and will be present until middle of December. Candidates should make sure that they fill CMAT 2020 application form well before deadline. Specifications involved in Application Form are as follows:
- Registration: In order to register for CMAT 2020, candidates have to access site as a new user. Self-registration form will have to be uploaded to website with basic and correct details of candidate.
- Essentials: Documents required for application process are- personal documents for address and identification, SSLC/ 10th Grade/ Equivalent Details, 12th/ Equivalent/ Diploma Course Details, Graduation Details, Other Professional Degree Details, Postgraduate Details.
- Application Fees: Registration fee is INR 1400/- for General/OBC and INR 700/- for SC/ ST/ PWD/ Female candidates.
- Payment Modes: Payment for CMAT 2020 application form can be done through two modes Online and Offline mode. Candidates need to witness processing of Application Fee in both Online and Offline mode before appearing for CMAT exam 2020.
Note: In Online mode, payment of application fee can be done through Net Banking, Credit Card or Debit Card and in Offline mode candidates need to select option as 'Pay by Cash' and a challan will appear and after that candidates need to take a printout of it and they need to visit nearby SBI Bank only to pay application fees.
CMAT Application Fee 2020
Candidates should be very cautious about payment of Application Fee and they should be very knowledgable while paying Application Fee. Specifications involving in paying Application Fee for CMAT 2020 are as follows:
- CMAT 2020 Fee: CMAT 2020 Exam Fees for OBC and General category candidates is INR 1400.
- Payment mode: Fee can be paid through Net banking, Credit card or Debit card and apart from this candidate might also deposit fees as cash deposit at any State Bank of India branch against challan that is generated online on CMAT 2020 website.
- Fee for Reserved category: For reserved quota, CMAT 2020 Application form costs INR 700. Candidates should bear additional bank charges.
- Non-refundable: Examination fee is non-refundable.
|SC/ ST||INR 700/-|
|Female Candidates||INR 700/-|
CMAT Admit Card 2020
Admit card for CMAT exam is a very important document as without it candidate will not be permitted to take exam. Admit Card contains various parameters and specifications of admit card are listed below:
- Issue date: CMAT 2020 admit card will be available online on January 15, 2020. If candidate has registered their email address during registration, they will receive admit card via email as well.
- Downloading of Admit Card: Admit card should be downloaded from official website using registration number and password.
- Details on Admit Card: It contains details such as candidate's name, date of birth, exam date, centre of examination, photograph, etc.
- Proof: Admit card should be carried by candidates for exam center if failed to bring admit card candidates are not allowed to attend examination.
- Discrepancy: Any discrepancy in CMAT 2020 Admit Card should be reported to conducting authority of CMAT exam as soon as possible.
- Documents Required: While carrying CMAT admit card candidate should have any one of following as a proof - Driver License, Passport, PAN Card, Voter Id, or UID Card.
CMAT Exam Centres 2020
NTA (National Testing Agency), which is exam conducting authority for CMAT 2020 decides upon various testing centres for conducting CMAT 2020. CMAT 2020 will be conducted in 80 cities across India. Candidates can choose any 3 preferred exam cities as exam centre while filling Application Form. The seats will be allotted to you based on availability. Candidates must carry CMAT 2020 Admit Card along with any government ID proof (Voter ID, Aadhar Card, Driving License, PAN Card) for identity proof.
Highlights of exam centre of CMAT 2020 IS tabulated below:
|Andhra Pradesh||Guntur||Madhya Pradesh||Bhopal|
|Andhra Pradesh||Kurnool||Madhya Pradesh||Gwalior|
|Andhra Pradesh||Nellore||Madhya Pradesh||Indore|
|Andhra Pradesh||Rajahmundry||Madhya Pradesh||Jabalpur|
|Andhra Pradesh||Visakhapatnam||Maharashtra||Aurangabad (MR)|
|Delhi/New Delhi||Delhi/New Delhi||Maharashtra||Nashik|
|Himachal Pradesh||Hamirpur||Tamil Nadu||Chennai|
|Himachal Pradesh||Shimla||Tamil Nadu||Coimbatore|
|Jammu and Kashmir||Jammu||Tamil Nadu||Madurai|
|Jammu and Kashmir||Srinagar||Tamil Nadu||Tirunelveli|
|Karnataka||Belagavi (Belgaum)||Uttar Pradesh||Allahabad/Prayagraj|
|Karnataka||Dharwad||Uttar Pradesh||Greater Noida/Noida|
CMAT Results 2020
Result is an important section of CMAT which candidates need to go through before appearing for Counselling Process. Result section of CMAT contain different parameters and parameters are described as below:
- Result date: CMAT 2020 results will be announced on February 5, 2020 and will be available on official site.
- Credential: CMAT 2020 results can be checked by candidates by entering Application ID and Password in official portal.
- Cut-off: Minimum cut-off expected in result will be 97-99 percentile.
- All India Rank: CMAT 2020 result would be released in form of scorecard which holds marks obtained and All India Ranks (AIR).
- Validity: The scores of CMAT 2020 examination will be valid for current academic year only i.e. 2020.
Process of calculating percentile of candidate is mentioned below:
Percentile in CMAT = ((N - candidate's Rank)/N)*100
Here, N = Number of Candidates that have taken exam.
CMAT Counselling 2020
The selection procedure is conducted individually by NTA and students who will achieve good rank in CMAT exam will be called in for Counselling Process. Specifications of Counselling is given below:
- Counselling Date: CMAT 2020 counselling will be conducted from February 25, 2020.
- Documents Required: Documents required for counselling are as follows - CMAT Admit card, CMAT Call letter, Degree certificate, Marksheets, CMAT Payment Challan copy are required for counselling.
- Group Discussion: Some schools conduct a group discussion round to shortlist candidates for CMAT 2020.
- Selection Procedure: Counselling procedure for CMAT 2020 will be based on Scorecard, Group Discussion, and Personal Interview (PI) and/ or Written Ability Test (WAT)
CMAT Paper Analysis
Question Paper analysis from the previous years is given below:
Paper Analysis of CMAT 2018:
- Overall Difficulty Level: Candidates who wrote CMAT 2018 felt that the overall difficulty level of exam was Moderate. Less than 50% of questions in CMAT 2018 were termed as difficult.
- Section-wise Analysis: Students who attended CMAT 2018 found Language comprehension and Quantitative section toughest followed by the Logical reasoning section for both the Slots.
- Cut-off: If a student answers around 75 questions with 85 to 90 per cent of accuracy, then he/she may get a call for PI or GD from top colleges.
- Answer Key: Candidates can refer to Answer keys for both Slot-1 and Slot-2.
Quantitative Techniques and Data Interpretation Analysis:
Question Pattern of this section involves different topics which are tabulated below:
|Area||Topic||Number of questions|
|Numbers||Number series and basic properties||4|
|Arithmetic||Time Speed & Distance, Profit & Loss, Ratios, Averages||9|
|Geometry||Mensuration, Circles, Triangles||5|
|Algebra||Simultaneous Equation, Inequalities, quadratic equations||6|
|Data Interpretation||Pie Chart||1|
General Awareness Analysis:
Topics covered under General Awareness Section are as follows:
- Social Issues
- Current Affairs
- Elections in India
- Static GK
- Constitution of India
- Famous Personality
Highlights of CMAT 2020 Logical Reasoning topics are prescribed as below:
|Strengthen/ Weaken Argument||1|
|Groups and Conditionalities||8|
|Puzzles - 3 variables||8|
Language Comprehension Analysis:
Topics under Language Comprehension Analysis are as follows:
|Area||Topic||Number of questions|
|Synonyms||Synonym of stand-alone word ‘Zealot’||1|
|FIB – 3 single and 1 double||1- Idiom based1- preposition-based1-word that would fit a single blank1-word that would fit double blanks||4|
|Grammar||1 - Identify correct sentence1 - Arrange jumbled words into a sentence||2|
|Idiom-based||Meaning of idiom given in a sentence||1|
|Cause/Effect and Fact/Inference/Judgement||2 questions||2|
Exam Analysis of CMAT 2020
CMAT 2020 will be conducted from 9:30 am – 12:30 pm & 2:30 pm – 5:30 pm on January 27, 2020 . The questions difficulty level was stated as a moderate level and candidates who are proficient in quick selecting and rejecting of options to question can answer fairly well.
CMAT Quantitative Techniques and Data Interpretation Analysis
Most of questions present in this section are based on conventional areas. This section was on difficulty of easy to moderate. There were two data interpretation questions, three from speed, time and distance and two from algebra. Permutation and Combination questions contributed to four questions. Three to four questions from Geometry and rest of Quantitative Techniques are from arithmetic. If you are willing to attempt 21-23 questions confidently, then you can expect good rank in the exam.
CMAT Logical Reasoning Analysis
This section was has a difficulty range of easy to moderate. There were three questions from Verbal Reasoning, two from Analogy and one from Analytical Reasoning. The questions were also from topics such as coding/decoding, number sequences, blood relations, etc. If you were to attempt 20-22 questions confidently, then you could expect a good score from this section.
CMAT Language Comprehension Analysis
There are a total of four passages in this section. Three of these where short passages with 3 questions each which talked about Endangered Languages (Greek and Latin),World Trade Organization and who decides status of developing countries, Parenting and culture related value system. They were all composed of factual questions with one inference question. These were relatively easy. The fourth passage was about Steve Jobs and some little known facts about his life and his views. It consisted of a question on main idea and one on narrative style but again was dominated by factual questions and was of easy to moderate difficulty level. Verbal ability questions that were given are also again easy to moderate level. They are from areas such as Vocabulary (4 questions from antonym, synonym and contextual), Sentence Correction (1 question from Although/But concept), Grammar Part (1 question), Idioms (2 questions), Para Jumble (1 question) and Sentence Completion (1 question). If you were to attempt 22 questions confidently, then you could expect a good score from this section.
CMAT General Awareness
This section of General Awareness has around 8 questions from current affairs. If you have a habit of reading newspapers or have a good knowledge of what’s going on in the world could have attempted around 6 questions with very ease. The dominative questions are from Static GK and questions are from Awards, Science, Politics, etc. If you were to attempt 18-20 questions confidently, then you could expect a good score from this section.
Trends of CMAT exam from 2012 to 2017 is tabulated below:
Practice Centres of CMAT 2020
National Testing Agency (NTA) has established a network of Test Practice Centres spread all over India to help students aspiring to appear in examinations to be conducted by NTA from 2019 onwards. Students should practice and train themselves before examination for “Computer Based Test (CBT)” mode of examinations.
The experienced, qualified and professional Nodal officer and staff available at TPC will help and motivate students to clear their doubts and solve problems and to make them familiar with CBT model of examinations.
Some Important Guidelines regarding CMAT Exam are mentioned below:
- Admit card is mandatory: Candidate has to carry CMAT 2020 admit card to examination.
- A photograph must be pasted on Admit card: Candidates whose Admit card doesn't have a Photograph pasted on it will not be permitted to appear for CMAT 2020.
- Report Early: Candidate has to report to exam centre as per reporting time mentioned on admit card.
- Should not be late: Candidates are not allowed to enter examination hall after commencement of exam.
- Take an attested copy of 10th mark sheet: Candidate is advised to take an attested copy of 10th Mark sheet or equivalent. It is mandatory that candidate name in respective document matches name in admit card.
- Scratch papers: Rough sheets are provided to all applicants at CMAT 2020 examination hall. Rough work cannot be done on any other paper sheet, as nothing will be allowed inside testing room. Candidates will have to hand back all scratch paper to administrator on completion of exam.
- Personal belongings shouldn't be carried: Candidate is not allowed to carry any personal belongings to CMAT 2020 exam centre including but not limited to wrist-watch, cell phones, calculators, etc., In case of candidate carry personal item, it will have to be kept outside examination hall at your own risk. Examination centre will not responsible for any loss or damage to such items.
- Candidates cannot leave early: If candidate completes exam before scheduled end time, he/she will not be allowed to leave exam hall. Candidate is allowed to leave exam only after scheduled three hours of exam are over.
Q. Is Calculator allowed in CMAT?
Ans. No. Candidates are not allowed to bring any materials such as wristwatch, calculator, cell phone etc. A digital calculator will be made available in test portal.
Q. How many candidates appeared in CMAT 2019?
Ans. For CMAT 2019 Exam that was conducted on January 28th 2019, approximately 70,000 candidates have appeared.
Q. Is CMAT easy to crack?
Ans. CMAT and CAT are both management exams but CMAT is much easier than CAT. So if you have given CAT, cracking CMAT wouldn't be that difficult for you.
Q. Is there any Negative Marking in CMAT?
Ans. There shall be negative marking for wrong answers and each wrong answer will cost you (-1) mark.
Q. Does CMAT have Reservation?
Ans. CMAT does provide reservation for backward categories. However, candidates have to provide caste certificate during process of registration.
Q. Is there any Age limit Criteria for Taking CMAT?
Ans. There are no age limit criteria mentioned by NTA. However, a candidate should be having a bachelors degree in any field to apply for exam.
Q. Can I change preferred Test Centre after submitting form?
Ans. No. candidate will not be able to change their preferred test centre/city after submitting form. So they should be extra careful while selecting test centre.
Q. What is reporting time for CMAT 2020?
Ans. Candidate is required to be present at exam centre an hour before commencement of exam for sake of security checks, identity verification and check-in. Exam will start at 9:30 AM, so candidate should be present at exam hall at around 8:00 AM.