The National Testing Agency now conducts JEE Main 2021 four times a year. The examination will consist of two papers- JEE Main Paper-I (B.Tech) and JEE Main Paper-II (B.Arch) having questions based on Mathematics, Aptitude, and Drawing. All the important details related to the JEE Main 2021 syllabus are given below:
Questions asked in the NTA JEE Main 2021 exam will be picked from topics covered in the NCERT textbooks.
- JEE Main 2021 Syllabus Paper-I (B.E./B.Tech)
- JEE Main 2021 Syllabus for B.Arch and B.Plan
- JEE Main Syllabus vs JEE Advanced Syllabus
- Most Important Topics in JEE Main Syllabus 2021
- Best Books for JEE Main Preparation
JEE Main 2021 examination will be based on the syllabus prescribed for Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics in Class 11 and 12. Aspirants must ensure that they plan ahead, and prepare adequately to crack the JEE Main 2021. The candidates can also download the official syllabus in PDF format given below.
JEE Main 2021 Syllabus Paper-I (B.E./B.Tech.)
Here is a compilation of the JEE Main Syllabus 2021 categorized based on subjects. To understand the importance of each topic, check the Weightage of Chapters in JEE Mains.
JEE Main 2021 syllabus is mapped as per NCERT textbooks of Class 11 and 12 to ensure uniformity across the country. Refer to the table below to understand the different topics under each subject.
JEE Main 2021 Physics Syllabus
There are 2 sections in Physics, section A and section B. Section A contains theory with a weightage of 80%, and Section B contains the practical part with a weightage of 20% marks. Electricity, mechanics, and magnetism are the concepts that constitute around 65% of marks distribution.
- Unit 1: Physics and Measurement
- Unit 2: Kinematics
- Unit 3: Laws of Motion
- Unit 4: Work, Energy, and Power
- Unit 5: Rotational Motion
- Unit 6: Gravitation
- Unit 7: Properties of Solids and Liquids
- Unit 8: Thermodynamics
- Unit 9: Kinetic Theory of Gases
- Unit 10: Oscillations and Waves
- Unit 11: Electrostatics
- Unit 12: Current Electricity
- Unit 13: Magnetic Effects of Current and Magnetism
- Unit 14: Electromagnetic Induction and Alternating Currents
- Unit 15: Electromagnetic Waves
- Unit 16: Optics
- Unit 17: Dual Nature of Matter and Radiation
- Unit 18: Atoms and Nuclei
- Unit 19: Electronic Devices
- Unit 20: Communication Systems
- Unit 21: Experiment Skills
JEE Main 2021 Syllabus Chemistry
The JEE Main 2021 Chemistry Syllabus consists of three sections- Physical Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, and Organic chemistry all of which carry equal weightage.
Section A (Physical Chemistry)
- Unit 1: Some Basic Concepts in Chemistry
- Unit 2: States of Matter
- Unit 3: Atomic Structure
- Unit 4: Chemical Bonding and Molecular Structure
- Unit 5: Chemical Thermodynamics
- Unit 6: Solutions
- Unit 7: Equilibrium
- Unit 8: Redox Reactions and Electrochemistry
- Unit 9: Chemical Kinetics
- Unit 10: Surface Chemistry
Section B (Inorganic Chemistry)
- Unit 11: Classification of Elements and Periodicity in Properties
- Unit 12: General Principles and Process of Isolation of Metals
- Unit 13: Hydrogen
- Unit 14: s - Block Elements (Alkali and Alkaline Earth Metals)
- Unit 15: p - Block Elements
- Unit 16: d – and f – Block Elements
- Unit 17: Co-ordination Compounds
- Unit 18: Environment Chemistry
Section C (Organic Chemistry)
- Unit 19: Purification and Characterisation of Organic Compounds
- Unit 20: Some Basic Principles of Organic Chemistry
- Unit 21: Hydrocarbons
- Unit 22: Organic Compounds Coining Halogens
- Unit 23: Organic Compounds Coining Oxygen
- Unit 24: Organic Compounds Coining Nitrogen
- Unit 25: Polymers
- Unit 26: Bio-Molecules
- Unit 27: Chemistry in Everyday Life
- Unit 28: Principles Related to Practical Chemistry
JEE Main 2021 Syllabus Mathematics
Concept strength, numerical problem-solving skills in a limited time, and familiarity with number functions go a long way with JEE Main 2021 Mathematics syllabus.
- Unit 1: Sets, Relations, and Functions
- Unit 2: Complex Numbers and Quadratic Equations
- Unit 3: Matrices and Determinants
- Unit 4: Permutations and Combinations
- Unit 5: Mathematical Induction
- Unit 6: Binomial Theorem
- Unit 7: Sequences and Series
- Unit 8: Limit, Continuity, and Differentiability
- Unit 9: Integral Calculus
- Unit 10: Differential Equations
- Unit 11: Co-ordinate Geometry
- Unit 12: Three-Dimensional Geometry
- Unit 13: Vector Algebra
- Unit 14: Statistics and Probability
- Measures of Dispersion
- Unit 15: Trigonometry
- Unit 16: Mathematical Reasoning
JEE Main 2021 Syllabus for B.Arch and B.Plan
This part is only applicable for the candidates opting for B.Arch/B.Plan (Paper-II)
Note: All candidates are advised to bring their pencils, geometry box set, erasers, color pencils, and crayons for the Aptitude Test inside the examination hall.
JEE Main Syllabus vs JEE Advanced Syllabus
Topics in JEE Main 2021 which are not included in the syllabus for JEE Advanced are given below:
Difference in Physics Syllabus
The below-listed topics will be a part of the Physics syllabus of JEE Mains, but won't be included in the JEE Advanced syllabus for 2021.
Difference in Chemistry Syllabus
Given below is a list of all the topics which will be included in the IIT JEE Mains syllabus, but would not be a part of the JEE Advanced syllabus.
|Chemistry in Everyday Life||
Difference in Mathematics Syllabus
The Mathematics syllabus of JEE Main will contain the below-listed topics. However, these topics will not be a part of the JEE Advanced syllabus for 2021.
|Trigonometry||Heights and Distances|
|Probability and Statistics||
|Sets, Relations and Functions||
Most important topics in JEE Main Syllabus 2021
The NTA's prescribed syllabus for JEE Main 2021 is vast. Often, candidates are confused about which topics to pay most attention to. After thorough research, we've prepared a list of the most important topics from the syllabus of JEE Mains 2021.
|Physics||Thermodynamics, Rotational Motion, SHM, Magnetism, Optics, Modern Physics, Electrostatistics, Bohr's Atomic Model, Kinematics|
|Chemistry||Electrochemistry, Chemical Bonding, Salt Analysis, Ionic Equilibrium, Thermodynamics and Thermochemistry, Aldehydes and Ketones, Aromatic Hydrocarbons, GOC Isomerism, Liquid Solutions, Alkyl Halides, Aryl Halides, d-Block Elements, p-Block Elements|
|Mathematics||3D Geometry, Vectors, Determinants and Matrices, Circles, Sequence and Series, Straight Line, Functions, Application of Derivatives, Conic Sections, Complex No.s, Quadratic Equation, Binomial Theorem and MI, Permutation and Combination, Properties of Triangles|
The candidates should also refer to the previous years JEE Main question papers to check which topics are important and occupy the maximum weightage.
Best Books for JEE Main Preparation
The top scorers say that the NCERT textbooks, which the students have studied from at school-level are the most adequate preparation books to ace JEE Main examination. However, the additional reference books are still sought because they have more examples, detailed descriptions of difficult concepts, and most importantly, test questions to put acquired knowledge to practice. Some of the best preparation books for JEE Main 2021 are listed below-
- RS Agarwal for Mathematics
- RD Sharma's Mathematics Books
- Trigonometry and Coordinate Geometry by SL Loney
- Concepts of Physics by HC Verma
- Problems in General Physics by IE Irodov
- OP Tandon's Organic Chemistry
- JD Lee's Inorganic Chemistry
- Physical Chemistry by P. Bahadur
It is important for candidates to understand how to select the right reference books for JEE Main preparation for themselves.
JEE Main Syllabus 2021: FAQs
Q: Will studying from the NCERT books be enough for JEE Main preparation?
A: NCERT textbooks cover all the basics, but they do not have revision questions or practice tests. The candidates must invest in quality reference books for a thorough preparation.
Q: I am an average student in my class. Is it possible for me to score well in JEE Main 2021?
A: With a good preparation, anyone can crack the JEE Main exam. You just need to give your studies all your time and concentration. Work hard and master all the concepts. You'll be able to ace the exam with flying colours.
Q: Which chapters can I skip from the JEE Main 2021 Syllabus?
A: Candidates must not give any chapters a miss. Focus on the important JEE Main 2021 topics mentioned in the list given above. If you have time in hand, prepare the remaining ones, or just give them a good read so that you are in the state to answer the questions asked from those topics.