NEET syllabus 2023 is stretched over three subjects, i.e., Physics, Chemistry, and Biology (Botany & Zoology). The questions are based on the syllabus of grades 10, 11, and 12. Hence, it is best to use the textbooks from these classes to prepare for NEET 2023 exam.
Latest Updates on NEET UG
- Mar 23, 2023: NEET 2023 Application Form confirmation page is available on Digilocker.
A detailed explanation of the NEET 2023 syllabus is given below. Candidates can also download NEET 2023 syllabus PDF from the article below. Keep reading to know more about NEET 2023 syllabus.
|NEET Exam Pattern 2023||NEET Mock Test 2023|
Table of Contents
- NEET Syllabus 2023 Highlights
- Subject-Wise NEET Syllabus 2023 - Biology, Physics, Chemistry
- NEET Syllabus 2023 for Physics
- NEET Syllabus 2023 for Chemistry
- NEET Syllabus 2023 for Biology
- NEET 2023 Syllabus Chapter-Wise
- NEET Syllabus 2023 PDF
- Most Important Topics to Cover- Brief Analysis
- NEET 2023 Pattern
- Topics Deleted from Class 12 Syllabus
- NEET 2023 Marking Scheme
- NEET 2023 Syllabus - Distribution of Questions from the Syllabus
- NEET 2023 Syllabus - Previous Question Papers
- How to Study for NEET 2023?
NEET Syllabus 2023 Highlights
Having proper knowledge of the syllabus is of utmost importance. NEET syllabus includes subjects from classes 10, 11, and 12. Knowledge about NEET 2023 important chapters is essential for an aspirant preparing for the upcoming exam to crack it.
In addition, an important note that candidates must remember is the NEET syllabus reduced for 2023. Candidates can find the revised and detailed NEET syllabus 2023 in the article below.
Below are the highlights of the NEET 2023 Syllabus, which will give a clear idea about the marking scheme, subjects, the number of questions asked, and other relevant details.
|Subjects||NEET Syllabus for 2023 shall comprise topics from Physics, Chemistry and Biology (Zoology+Botany)|
|Sections||NEET 2023 exam pattern will have four sections viz. Physics, Chemistry, Zoology & Botany.|
|Difficulty Level||The questions in NEET 2023 will be based on Class XI and Class XII (Physics, Chemistry & Biology).|
|No. of Questions||The question paper will have 45 objective-type questions from every section, viz. Physics, Chemistry, and Biology. The total number of questions would hence be 180.|
|Marks||NEET 2023 question paper would be 720 marks.|
|Marking Scheme||Every right answer will fetch the candidate 4 marks, while 1 mark will be deducted for every wrong answer.|
Subject-Wise NEET Syllabus 2023 - Biology, Physics, Chemistry
NEET syllabus 2023 consisted of the following sections: Physics, Chemistry, Zoology & Botany. Some of the important facts related to the NEET UG syllabus 2023 are given below.
- NTA prescribed NEET 2023 syllabus. The curriculum is prepared by the Council Board of School Education (COBSE), the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE), and the National Council of Education Research and Training (NCERT). They collaborate and design NEET 2023 syllabus.
- Apart from CBSE's curriculum, the NEET syllabus 2023 will be finalized after reviewing the syllabus from several different state boards.
The subject-wise NEET 2023 syllabus is available below for Physics, Chemistry and Biology. Candidates must go through the syllabus before starting their exam preparation to know which topics they must cover to ace the exam.
NEET Syllabus 2023 for Physics
The aspirants must know that NTA NEET 2023 syllabus for each subject is vast. The question paper for NEET 2023 shall contain questions from Physics from the curriculum of classes 11 and 12. Given below is the unit-wise Physics syllabus for NEET 2023 from class 11.
NEET 2023 Physics Syllabus from Class 11 Curriculum
The units covered under NEET 2023 Physics syllabus from class 11 are given below:
- Physical-world and measurement
- Laws of Motion
- Work, Energy, and Power
- Properties of the Bulk Matter
- The motion of the System of Particles and Rigid Body
- Oscillations and Waves
- The Behaviour of Perfect Gas and Kinetic Theory
NEET 2023 Physics Syllabus from Class 12 Curriculum
The topics covered in the class 12th curriculum for NEET 2023 syllabus are listed below:
- Current Electricity
- Magnetic Effects of Current and Magnetism
- Electronic Devices
- Electromagnetic Waves
- Electromagnetic Induction and Alternating Currents
- Atoms and Nuclei
- Dual Nature of Matter and Radiation
NEET Syllabus 2023 Chapter-Wise Weightage Physics
The chapter-wise weightage for NEET 2023 Physics syllabus is tabulated below:
|Class 11 Syllabus||Weightage||Class 12 Syllabus||Weightage|
|Physical-world and measurement||2%||Electro statistics||8%|
|Laws of Motion||3%||Magnetic effects of Current and Magnetism||5%|
|Work, Energy, and Power||4%||Electromagnetic induction and alternating currents||9%|
|The motion of systems of particles and rigid body||4%||Electromagnetic waves||5%|
|Properties of Bulk Matter||3%||Dual Nature of Matter and Radiation||6%|
|Thermodynamics||9%||Atoms and Nuclei||3%|
|The Behaviour of Perfect Gas and Kinetic theory||3%||Electronic Devices||9%|
|Oscillations and wave||4%|
Best Books for NEET 2023 Physics
The best books recommended for the preparation of Physics subjects for NEET 2023 are tabulated below. Candidates must go through these books that cover all the important topics for the exam.
|Concepts of Physics Parts 1 & 2||H C Verma|
|Fundamentals of Physics||Halliday, Resnick and Walker|
|Objective Physics for Medical Entrance (Vols 1 & 2)||D C Pandey|
|Objective NCERT at your Fingertips||MTG|
|Physics MCQ||D Mukherjee|
|Problems in General Physics||I E Irodov|
|Class 11 & 12 Textbooks||NCERT|
Tips for NEET Physics Preparation 2023
For NEET 2023 exam, Physics is the most difficult section as it includes questions based on formulas, equations, and numerals. Hence, candidates are advised to begin the entrance exam preparation months before the exam date. Since Physics is a core subject, candidates must ensure they score well in this section to score high in the exam and get high ranks.
Following are the main NEET preparation tips for the Physics section.
- Know the Basics Concepts: As Physics is a conceptual subject, candidates must learn the basic concepts thoroughly before studying the bigger topics. They must start their preparation way ahead of the exam to have enough time to cover all the concepts. Candidates will be tested on their theoretical as well as practical knowledge of the subject, and the questions asked in this section will be tricky. To answer the tough questions, it is important for the candidates to know the basics.
- Be Thorough with Formulae: There are many formulae used in the topics for the Physics section. Since most of the questions are numerical, it is essential for the candidates to know which formula to use where, and to remember the correct formula, as there are many. It is advised that the candidates list out all the important formulae and go through the list regularly. This way they can revise these formulae without having to go through the books always.
- Start Revising Early: It is recommended that the candidates start their NEET preparation months ahead so that they can complete the syllabus early, and begin revision. As there are multiple concepts, formulae and topics to cover for the Physics section, candidates are prone to forget the topics fast. Hence, they must set ample amount of time aside for revision so they can revise and be well-prepared for the exam.
Read More: NEET Physics Syllabus
NEET Syllabus 2023 for Chemistry
Given below is the Chemistry syllabus for NEET 2023. NEET UG syllabus 2023 for Chemistry contains topics from the syllabus of classes 11 and 12.
NEET 2023 Chemistry Syllabus from Class 11
The topics covered in the NEET Chemistry syllabus 2023 from class 11 are listed below:
- Some Basic Concepts of Chemistry
- Structure of Atom
- Chemical Bonding and Molecular Structure
- Classification of Elements and Periodicity in Properties
- States of Matter: Gases and Liquids
- Redox Reactions
- S-Block Element (Alkali and Alkaline earth metals)
- Some p-Block Elements
- Organic Chemistry- Some Basic Principles and Techniques
- Environmental Chemistry
NEET 2023 Chemistry Syllabus from Class 12 Curriculum
NEET 2023 Chemistry syllabus from the class 12 curriculum is listed below:
- Chemistry in everyday life
- Solid State
- Chemical Kinetics
- Surface Chemistry
- General Principles and Processes of Isolation of Elements
- P- Block Elements
- D and F Block Elements
- Coordination Compounds
- Haloalkanes and Haloarenes
- Alcohols, Phenols and Ethers
- Aldehydes, Ketones and Carboxylic Acids
- Organic Compounds Containing Nitrogen
- Biomolecules and Polymers
NEET 2023 Chemistry Syllabus Chapter-Wise Weightage
The weightage of each unit in the NEET 2023 syllabus for Chemistry is given below for the candidate's reference:
|Inorganic Chemistry (XI)||22%|
|Organic Chemistry (XII)||20%|
|Physical Chemistry (XII)||20%|
|Physical Chemistry (XI)||16%|
|Inorganic Chemistry (XII)||13%|
|Organic Chemistry (XI)||9%|
Best Books for NEET 2023 Chemistry
The best books recommended for the preparation of Chemistry subjects for NEET 2023 are tabulated below. Candidates must go through these books that cover all the important topics for the exam.
|40 Days Chemistry for NEET||Sudhanshu Thakur|
|Boyd for Organic Chemistry||Robert Thornton Morrison / Rebert Neilson Boyd|
|Concise Inorganic Chemistry||J D Lee|
|Objective NCERT at your Fingertips||MTG|
|Organic Chemistry||Himanshu Pandey|
|Class 11 & 12 Textbooks||NCERT|
Tips for Preparation of NEET Chemistry 2023
Among the subjects for NEET 2023, Chemistry is considered the easiest subject as the candidates can score well in this section, which can have a major impact on NEET 2023 scores. The candidates can improve their scores by performing well in this section. Hence, it is important that they prepare well for NEET 2023 Chemistry section.
The preparation tips to study well for the Chemistry section of the NEET 2023 exam are below.
- Go Through Textbooks: The main study materials for exam preparation for NEET 2023 Chemistry sections are NCERT textbooks. The majority of the questions asked in this section are directly based on these textbooks. Therefore, by going through these books, candidates can not only cover all the basic and important topics, but they can become familiar with the type of questions asked also.
- Physical Chemistry Preparation: According to the experts, the candidates must first study the topics of Physical Chemistry thoroughly for the NEET 2023 exam. They must learn the concepts for the section from the NCERT textbooks, and practice the MCQs and question banks regularly. This way they can score well on the numerical questions based on the topic easily.
- Inorganic Chemistry Preparation: Candidates must gather as many previous year's question papers and refer to them to know the type of questions and the questions that have been repeated over the years. Similar to the Physics preparation, candidates are advised to prepare a list of the formulae for the chemicals and minerals and refer to the lists regularly. Topics such as Coordination Chemistry and p-Block Elements must be studied with extra care. Revise the topics frequently to retain the topics in memory. The candidates must study all topics for this section from NCERT textbooks.
Read More: NEET 2023 Chemistry
NEET Syllabus 2023 for Biology
Given below is the NEET syllabus 2023 for Biology. The candidates must note that NEET 2023 Biology syllabus contains topics from classes 11 and 12.
NEET Biology Syllabus 2023 from Class 11 Curriculum
The topics covered in the NEET Biology syllabus 2023 from class 11 are listed below:
- Diversity in Living World
- Structural Organisation in Animals and Plants
- Cell Structure and Function
- Plant Physiology
- Human physiology
NEET Biology Syllabus 2023 from Class 12 Curriculum
The topics covered in the NEET Biology syllabus 2023 from class 12 are listed below:
- Genetics and Evolution
- Biology and Human Welfare
- Biotechnology and Its Applications
- Ecology and environment
The approximate weightage given to each chapter under Biology in the NEET syllabus 2023 is mentioned below:
|Class 11 Biology Syllabus||Weightage||Class 12 Biology Syllabus||Weightage|
|Diversity of Living Organisms||14%||Reproduction||9%|
|Structural Organisation in Plants & Animals||5%||Genetics and Evolution||18%|
|Cell: Structure and Function||9%||Biology and Human Welfare||9%|
|Human Physiology||19%||Biotechnology and its Applications||5%|
|Plant Physiology||6%||Ecology and Environment||6%|
Best Books for NEET 2023 Biology
The best books recommended for the preparation of Biology subjects for NEET 2023 are tabulated below. Candidates must go through these books that cover all the important topics for the exam.
|40 Days Biology for NEET||S Chakravarty|
|Exploring Biology (Vols 1 & 2)||Arihant Publications|
|Objective NCERT at your Fingertips||MTG|
|Pradeep's Publications Biology||Pradeep's Publications|
|True Man's Objectives Biology for NEET||M P Tyagi|
|Class 11 & 12 Textbooks||NCERT|
NEET Biology 2023 Preparation
The subject with the highest weightage in NEET 2023 exam is Biology with 90 questions for a total of 360 marks. Therefore, it is important for the candidates to prepare well for this section. The tips for NEET Biology 2023 preparation are below.
- NCERT Textbooks: The best source of preparation for the Biology section is NCERT textbooks. Candidates must go through the textbooks to cover the topics for the subject. A thorough revision of the chapters is essential to retain the topics studied in memory.
- Charts and Diagrams: As there are multiple charts and diagrams included in the Biology subject, candidates must make sure they prepare for the questions related to the diagrams. They must refer to the previous year's papers and sample test papers to know the diagrams that are important, and prepare well for the repeatedly asked questions.
- Important Topics: Candidates must study the 'Animalia' and 'Plantae' topics very well as these are more difficult compared to the others. Class 12 topics such as Human Physiology, Plant Physiology, Cell Biology and Biomolecules must be prepared well; numerous questions have been asked in previous years. Candidates must also learn Non-Chordata and Chordata Phyla characteristics along with their examples.
Read More: NEET Biology Syllabus
NEET 2023 Syllabus Chapter - Wise
NEET 2023 Syllabus subject-wise is mentioned above. Candidates should focus on studying for NEET 2023 chapter-wise and topic-wise also. Candidates can check for the topics from each subject with more weightage and prioritise the learning strategy accordingly. Candidates can initially focus on the chapters with more weightage. The majority of questions are taken from Biology, which includes 2 sections - botany and zoology. Dividing the portions chapter-wise and then topic-wise while studying will help the candidates with wasting no time in understanding unwanted topics.
NTA NEET Syllabus 2023 PDF
The PDF files containing the detailed NTA NEET syllabus 2023 for Physics, Chemistry and Biology of Class 11 and Class 12 are given below:
|NEET Physics Syllabus 2023||Download|
|NEET Chemistry Syllabus 2023||Download|
|NEET Biology Syllabus 2023||Download|
Most Important Topics to Cover- Brief Analysis
Each exam has a vast syllabus, and it is not possible to touch on every topic. In the tables below, we have compiled an analysis based on past year trends that will help candidates prepare better for the exams.
Detailed Analysis of NEET 2023 Physics
Out of the several topics in the NEET Physics syllabus, the most trending ones have been tabulated to understand and better prepare for the exam.
From analyzing the trends, it is visible that the Mechanics had much weightage in NEET Exam as compared to the others.
|Heat and Thermodynamics||9%||11%||11%||13%||13%|
Detailed Analysis of NEET 2023 Chemistry
Chemistry has a vast syllabus, including Physical, Inorganic and Organic chemistry. Out of these several topics in the NEET Chemistry syllabus, the most trending ones have been tabulated to understand and better prepare for the exam.
|Physical Chemistry (XI)||24%||24%||22%||15%||31%|
|Inorganic Chemistry (XI)||18%||16%||4%||11%||7%|
|Physical Chemistry (XII)||18%||11%||16%||16%||18%|
|Organic Chemistry (XII)||16%||20%||20%||27%||18%|
|Inorganic Chemistry (XII)||13%||16%||22%||22%||11%|
|Organic Chemistry (XI)||11%||13%||16%||9%||15%|
From analyzing the trends, it is visible that the Physical Chemistry from class XI has had domination compared to the others.
Detailed Analysis of NEET 2023 Biology – Botany
Being a medical entrance exam, a lot of hard work is put into the Botany section of the NEET Exam. The previous year's trends are tabulated below.
|Structure & Func. of Cell||15%||17%||8%||18%||19%|
|Biology in Human Welfare||8%||2%||6%||2%||4%|
|Diversity of Life||8%||17%||13%||17%||13%|
|Reproduction & Sexual Reproduction||8%||10%||9%||11%||11%|
|Structural Organization of Plants||8%||11%||13%||0%||0%|
Detailed Analysis of NEET 2023 Biology – Zoology
Being a medical entrance exam, the Zoology section of the NEET Exam is essential. The previous year's trends are tabulated below.
|Animal Husbandry & Biotechnology||17%||14%||18%||13%||8%|
|Human Reproduction & Reproductive Health||14%||16%||14%||16%||11%|
|Evolution: Theories & Evidence||9%||8%||3%||10%||8%|
|Human Health & Disease||7%||8%||5%||11%||16%|
|Structural Organisation in Animals||5%||5%||5%||5%||3%|
NEET 2023 Pattern
NEET Exam Pattern 2023 has changed in the past 2 years. The new pattern NEET 2023 Question Paper consists of 2 sections in each subject. Section A has 35 questions and section B has 15 questions. Among the 15 questions in section B, the candidates can attend 10 questions to maintain the timing. The brief of the exam pattern and marks are tabulated below.
|Sections/Subjects||Number of Questions||Total Marks|
|Chemistry - Section A||35||140|
|Chemistry - Section B||15||40|
|Physics - Section A||35||140|
|Physics - Section B||15||40|
|Zoology - Section A||35||140|
|Zoology - Section B||15||40|
|Botany - Section A||35||140|
|Botany - Section B||15||40|
Topics Deleted from Class 12 Syllabus
Keeping in mind the loss of studies due to the outbreak of COVID-19, CBSE decided to reduce several important topics from the syllabus of classes 11 and 12. Hence, NEET 2023 syllabus reduced in the revised version. in theThis move aims to lift the burden of covering a massive syllabus in such a situation off students' shoulders. The topics deleted from the syllabus of Biology are tabulated below:
|Topics Reduced from NEET Biology Syllabus|
|Plant Physiology||Environmental Issues|
|Evolution||Reflex Action, Sensory Perception, Sense Organs|
|Transportation in Plants, Digestion, and Absorption||Elementary Structure and Function of Eye and Ear|
|Locomotion and Movement|
The topics reduced from the Syllabus of Chemistry are tabulated below:
|Topics Omitted from Chemistry Syllabus of Class 11 and 12|
|Arrhenius Equation||Basic Metallurgical Processes; Corrosion and Prevention|
|Activation Energy||Carbon and its Compounds|
|Basic Atomic Structure||Nomenclature of Carbon and its Compounds|
|Chemical Substances- Metals and Non-Metals||Difference between saturated and unsaturated hydrocarbons|
The topics omitted from the Physics Syllabus for grades 11 and 12 are discussed below:
|Physics Topics Deleted from Classes 11 and 12 Syllabus|
|Doppler Effect||Effects of Current|
|Inertia and Momentum||Magnetic Effects of Electric Current|
|Newton's Laws of Motion||Electric Generator|
|Kepler's Law of Planetary Motion||Domestic Electric Circuits|
|Direct Current, Alternating Current: Frequency of AC and Advantage of AC over DC|
It has not been confirmed whether questions from any of these topics will be asked in the NEET exam 2023 or not. However, candidates must note that the NEET syllabus reduced by the conducting body in the revised version. Any information on the same will be updated in this section.
NEET 2023 Marking Scheme
NEET 2023 marking scheme is mentioned below.
- Each question is of 4 marks.
- Candidates answering the question correctly will get 4 marks for the question.
- For every wrong answer, 1 mark will be deducted.
- Unattempted questions will have no negative marking.
NEET 2023 Syllabus - Distribution of Questions from Syllabus
NEET 2023 distribution of marks based on subjects for class XI and class XII are mentioned below.
NEET 2023 Syllabus - Class XI
|Subjects||Number of Questions||Total Marks|
NEET 2023 Syllabus - Class XII
|Subjects||Number of Questions||Total Marks|
NEET 2023 Syllabus Total Marks
|Subjects||Number of Questions||Total Marks|
NEET 2023 Syllabus - Previous Question Papers
NEET previous year question papers should be referred to by the candidates before the examination. Candidates can download the previous year's question papers here and solve the question on their own.
|NEET 2021||Download here|
|NEET 2020||Download here|
|NEET 2019||Download here|
How to Study for NEET 2023?
Every year, thousands of students appear for the NEET exam. NEET is a very tough exam to crack. It calls for a very rigorous preparation. Simply familiarizing oneself with the NTA NEET syllabus 2023 is not enough. Here are some tips that the aspirants must follow to make the most of their time and cover the NTA NEET 2023 syllabus with the most efficiency.
Knowing NEET 2023 Exam Pattern
Simply knowing NEET 2023 syllabus is not enough. The candidates must know how many questions they have to solve and how much time they have in hand to answer all the questions in the paper. Here it's NEET 2023 Exam Pattern in brief, for your reference:
|Total number of Questions||180|
|Marking scheme for NEET 2023||Correct Answer: +4 Marks | Incorrect Answer: -1 Marks|
|Question Type||Objective type with 4 options|
NEET 2023 Preparation Books
The candidates must refer to books which offer quality content in terms of factual accuracy and diction, to cover their NEET syllabus 2023. Some of the NEET preparation books GMU highly recommends for exam preparation are:
- NCERT textbooks for Physics, Chemistry, and Biology for classes 11 and 12.
- Biology for NEET - Pearson
- NEET/JEE Chemistry - Target Publishing
- Organic Chemistry for NEET - M.S. Chouhan
- Objective Physics for NEET - Pearson
- Inorganic Chemistry for NEET Preparation - VK Jaiswal
NEET 2023 Preparation Resources
A few of the resources available for NEET 2023 aspirants are mentioned below.
Online Resources to prepare for NEET 2023
- Darwin - NEET Preparations
- Biology NEET Inspection
- Akash iTutor
- NEET Practice
Youtube Channels for NEET 2023 Preparations
- Khan Academy
- Exam Fear Education
- Career Point
NEET 2023 Sample Papers/Mock Tests
The aspirants who wish to appear for NEET start preparing from class 11. It shall take about 10-11 months of rigorous preparation to cover NEET 2023 syllabus. Once through, the candidates must test their knowledge by solving as many NEET sample papers or mock tests as they can get their hands on. Apart from helping them analyze how much of the NEET syllabus 2023 they have covered, it would also enable them to understand the exam pattern and make the most use of the allotted exam time.
Who will release the NEET 2023 exam syllabus?
NEET syllabus 2023 will be released by the conducting body, National Testing Agency (NTA).
How to download the NEET syllabus 2023?
NTA releases the NEET syllabus 2023 along with the exam brochure. Check the article above to download the exam syllabus PDF.
What does the NEET 2023 syllabus include?
The subject-wise topics for the subjects Physics, Chemistry and Biology have included in NEET 2023 syllabus.
How many questions are asked in the NEET 2023 Chemistry section?
Based on the exam pattern set by NTA, 50 questions were asked in the NEET 2023 Chemistry section, out of which the candidates had to attempt 45 questions for a total of 180 marks.
Where can I get the NEET syllabus 2023 PDF in Hindi?
The official NEET syllabus 2023 released by NTA is in English. Candidates who opted for Hindi or other regional languages as their medium for the exam could compare the class 11+12 syllabus with the NEET syllabus and approach their teachers/mentors for the syllabus PDF in Hindi or other required languages.
What is the distribution of questions in the Biology section of the NEET 2023 syllabus?
NEET syllabus 2023 for the Biology section was divided into Botany and Zoology, and each section carried 50 questions. Candidates had to attempt 45 questions for both sections. In total, there were 90 questions in NEET 2023 Biology paper.