The Common Admission Test is conducted by the IIMs. The exam is conducted to test a candidate’s aptitude in business. CAT is a computer-based test, which has to be attempted in 120 minutes. The question paper is divided into three sections, which are- Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC), Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (DILR), and Quantitative Aptitude (QA). The question paper will have several MCQs and a few TITA (type in the answer) type questions. The precise syllabus is not released by the conducting authorities, but the kind of questions, and topics which will be asked in CAT are discussed on this page.
Latest changes in CAT Syllabus
Several changes were made in the CAT syllabus and exam pattern keeping in mind the safety of all the candidates. Some of them are discussed below:
- The duration of the exam, which was 180 minutes till the year 2019, was reduced to 120 minutes (2 hours).
- Sectional time-limit, which was 60 minutes till 2019, was reduced to 40 minutes.
- The number of questions too was reduced to 76. The number of questions will be similar to that.
- A table containing the revised sectional composition of the CAT Syllabus 2021 is provided.
|CAT Syllabus 2021||Total Number of Questions||Total Number of MCQs||Total Non-MCQs||Total Marks|
|VARC - Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension||26||18||8||78|
|DILR - Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning||24||18||6||72|
|QA - Quantitative Aptitude||26||18||8||78|
CAT Verbal Ability Syllabus 2021
The candidates will have to type the answers (TITA) to the Verbal Ability questions. Hence, negative marking is not applicable. The different kind of questions which the candidates may have to answer are:
- Error corrections
- Sentence completion
- Vocabulary-based questions
In CAT 2020, 26 questions were asked in this section.
Important topics in CAT Verbal Ability Syllabus 2021
Candidates should prioritize the following topics from the CAT 2021 syllabus in order to score more in the Verbal Ability section.
- Reading Comprehension, Vocabulary, Grammar
- Close passage, Synonyms, and Antonyms
- Critical Reasoning (and its numerous applications)
- Idioms, Analogies, Para Completion, Fill in the blanks
- Sentence Correction, Summary Questions, Jumbled Paragraph
- Fact Interference Judgement, Meaning, and Usage Match
CAT Verbal Ability Syllabus Weightage 2021
The weightage given to different sections of the CAT syllabus 2021 is illustrated below. We have curated a table that consists of the name of each topic of the CAT Verbal Ability syllabus and the expected number of questions from each one of those topics. Aspiring candidates can utilize the table to prioritize the topics while preparing for the CAT 2021 exam.
|CAT Syllabus VARC Topics||
Number of questions
|Sequence of sentences||1-2 Questions|
|Meaning of the phrase||2-3 Questions|
|Inferences, Statements, Arguments||4-5 Questions|
|Irrelevant Statements||1-2 Questions|
|Completion of Paragraph||1-2 Questions|
|Error Correction in Sentences||1-2 Questions|
|Author’s assumption||2-3 Questions|
|Jumbled paragraphs||1-2 Questions|
|Vocabulary usage||2-3 Questions|
|Main idea in the RC Passage||2-3 Questions|
|Pick Out of Context Sentence||1-2 Questions|
|Critical Reasoning||1-2 Questions|
|Sentence Completion||1-2 Questions|
|Fill in the blanks||1-2 Questions|
|Para Summary||3-4 Questions|
CAT Syllabus for Reading Comprehension 2021
In the Reading Comprehension section, the candidates will be answering several MCQs. The candidates will have to read about 3 to 4 long comprehensions, along with 2-3 short ones. The length of the long passages will be 900 words. The short passages will be 600 words long. The topics will revolve around Politics, Literature, Science, History, Environment, Mythology, etc. In the VARC section, the Reading Comprehension section will occupy a weightage of about 70%.
- Reading Comprehension paragraphs will be around 900 words and shorter paragraphs will have about 600 words. Candidates will have to read the paragraph and answer the questions asked at the end.
- The CAT 2021 syllabus for current affairs includes the topics like the Current affairs of National and International importance, Impact of Covid 19 pandemic on social life, Government Policies, Immigration, New Education Policy, CAA, Triple Talaq, Make in India, Clean India.
- The CAT 2021 Syllabus for Economy includes topics like the Global Economic changes, Economic Development and Environment destruction, Demonetization, Unnecessary expenditure by the Government.
- The CAT 2021 Syllabus for Literature includes work from great philosophers like Aristotle, Charles Dickenson, Winston Churchill, Martin Luther King, Mohan Das Karam Chand Gandhi, and others.
- The CAT 2021 Syllabus for Science and Technology includes topics about the Modern world, the Advancement of Technology, and the fading of culture.
- The CAT 2021 Syllabus for History includes topics about the social changes in the History of India, War of Roses, French Revolution, Freedom Fights among others.
- The CAT 2021 Syllabus for Mythology includes topics about the important mythological, current social structure, and abstract fictional topics as well.
How to prepare for the CAT 2021 Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension?
The candidates will be required to read several passages thoroughly, and answer various multiple-choice questions based on those passages.
Practice as much as possible: The candidates must practice by reading passages from the newspapers carefully. It will not just get them into the habit of reading, but also improve their grammatical sense and vocabulary, and enhance their attentiveness. The candidates can also purchase CAT preparation books for the VARC section, and practice the questions or exercises given in them.
Focus on speed: The candidates must try to monitor how many words they can manage to read in a minute, and work on increasing that number constantly. The ideal target should be about 330-350 words per minute.
CAT Logical Reasoning Syllabus 2021
It is reported that a majority of the candidates find it easiest to score in the Logical Reasoning section. The section contains puzzles, problems, and questions which test a candidate's mental ability.
Important topics in CAT Logical Reasoning Syllabus 2021
We have curated a list of important topics from the CAT Syllabus 2021 in order to help candidates score more.
- Direction Sense
- Clocks and Calendars
- Data Structures
- Blood Relations
- Logical Connectivity
CAT Data Interpretation Syllabus 2021
- In the data interpretation section of the CAT Syllabus, questions are designed to analyze a candidate’s ability to extract information from a given set of data, which can be in any form, i.e., Bar graph, pie chart, line graph, etc., is tested.
- There are different types of charts and graphs which are used to frame Data Interpretation questions.
- Aspiring Candidates must be thorough with all these questions from the CAT Syllabus in order to perform well in the CAT 2021 Exam.
Important topics in CAT Data Interpretation Syllabus 2021
- Pie charts
- Line graphs
- Bar graphs
- Venn Diagram
- Data Sufficiency
- Seating Arrangement
- Binary Logic
- Number and Letter Series
- The combination of Graphs.
CAT Quantitative Aptitude Syllabus 2021
Quantitative Aptitude is a vital part of the CAT Maths syllabus. It has mainly questions from Arithmetic, Algebra, Trigonometry, Calculus, Geometry. Questions in this section are given to test a candidate’s ability to apply mathematical principles to solve real-time problems. Questions will be based on 10th and 12th Mathematics. The quant section of the CAT Syllabus previously had 32-34 questions weightage, but this year it is expected to be 22-24 questions only.
Important topics in CAT Quant Syllabus 2021
- The Quant syllabus is an important part of the CAT Maths Syllabus. The topics which have to be concentrated from the CAT 2021 Syllabus are provided below.
- Arithmetic- Number System, HCF, LCM, Ratio & Proportion, Simplification, Percentage, Average, Age Calculation, Time & Work, Distances, Profit, Loss, and Discount.
- CAT Algebra Syllabus- Hypothesis of Equations, Quadratic Equation, Permutation, and Combination, Sequence and Series, Linear Equation.
- Percentages- Percentages and its applications
- Trigonometry- Trigonometric Ratios, Heights, and Distances.
- Calculus- Minima and Maxima functions.
- Mensuration-Areas and Volumes – Rectangles, Squares, Triangles, Circles, Cubes, Cones, Spheres, Pipes, and Cistern.
- Geometry and its applications- Angles, Lines, Triangles, Circles, Coordinate Geometry.
- Ratio and its applications, Numbers and its applications, Simple and Compound Interest
- Inequalities, Probability, Mensuration, Mixtures and Allegations, Set theory and Function.
CAT Quantitative Aptitude Syllabus Weightage 2021
In order to score well in the CAT Quantitative Aptitude, candidates need to practise more number of questions. By doing that the candidates will be able to solve questions accurately in less amount of time. We have curated a table with the expected number of questions from each topic in the Quant section of the CAT 2021 Syllabus in order to help candidates understand the importance of each topic of the Quantitative Aptitude syllabus and practise well.
|CAT Syllabus 2020 Quants Section||
Number of questions asked
|Linear Equations; Quadratic Equations Complex Numbers||1-2 Questions|
|LCM and HCF||1-2 Questions|
|Permutation and Combination||1-2 Questions|
|Logarithm; Progressions||1-2 Questions|
|Interest (Simple and Compound)||1-2 Questions|
|Probability Functions||1-2 Questions|
|Coordinate Geometry||1-2 Questions|
|Speed, Time and Distance; Time and Work||1-2 Questions|
|Number System||1-2 Questions|
|Surds and Indices; Inequalities||1-2 Questions|
|Venn diagrams and other topics||1-2 Questions|
|Set Theory; Mixtures and Alligations||1-2 Questions|
|Percentages, Profit, and Loss||1-2 Questions|
|Binomial Theorem||1-2 Questions|
|Averages; Ratio & Proportion||1-2 Questions|
CAT 2021 Syllabus PDF Download
Candidates can download the latest full syllabus PDF for CAT 2021. It will help them understand the topics to be covered for CAT 2021. The candidates need to focus on their strengths and prepare the topics accordingly.
Trends in CAT Over the Years
We have curated tables to help candidates understand the trends in CAT exam over the years. The total number of questions asked in the CAT exam and the number of questions from each section of the CAT Syllabus along with the difficulty level is clearly mentioned in the table below. Candidates can also refer to the number of MCQ and Non-MCQs asked in each section.
RC-24, (All MCQs),
Verbal-10 (3 MCQs, 7 non-MCQs)
|CAT 2016||100||Moderate to Difficult||
RC-24, (All MCQs),
Verbal-10 (All non-MCQs)
|CAT 2015||100||Moderate to Difficult||
Note: Any changes in CAT Syllabus 2021 will be notified on the official website. But before applying for this exam a candidate must satisfy CAT 2021 Eligibility Criteria which is mandatory.
How to cover all the topics in the CAT 2021 Syllabus?
Every aspiring candidate needs to know the strategy to cover the vast CAT syllabus 2021. We have curated a few tips from the toppers themselves in order to help aspirants perform well.
- Initially focus on the basics of the CAT Syllabus 2021 to get comfortable with the topics.
- Give equal weightage to all the three sections of the CAT 2021 Syllabus.
- Practising a lot of mock test series will help in gaining confidence about the vast CAT Syllabus and also in analyzing the current preparation level.
- Making note of the important points and formulae will help during the CAT Syllabus revision sessions
CAT 2021 Exam Pattern
The CAT Exam duration has been reduced to 120 minutes for the 2021 session. The sectional time has also been reduced from 60 minutes to 40 minutes.
|CAT 2021 date||To be announced|
|Examination Type||Online - Computer-based test pattern (CBT)|
|Number of sections||3 sections-Verbal & Reading Comprehension, Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning, and Quantitative Aptitude|
|Duration of exam||120 minutes (40 minutes per section)|
|Number of questions||76|
|Number of answer choices||4|
+3 marks for correct answer, -1 mark for the incorrect answer (MCQ)
+3 marks for correct answer, 0 marks for the incorrect answer (Non-MCQ, TITAs)
CAT 2021 Syllabus FAQs
Q. How long will it take to complete the entire CAT syllabus?
A. The candidates must start their preparation for CAT at the earliest. The syllabus for the exam is generic, but vast. To build speed, accuracy and confidence, one needs to invest a lot of time in the exam preparation.
Q. Which IIM is responsible for releasing the syllabus for CAT?
A. The candidates must note that the syllabus for CAT is never released at an official level. It is a list of all the topics which have been asked repeatedly in the CAT question papers over the years.