NMAT is a national level MBA exam that helps candidates get admissions into some of the finest institutes like NMIMS Mumbai, SPJIMR Mumbai (PGMPW), ISB (certificate program), VIT Vellore, XIM Bhubaneswar, and other reputed colleges. The candidates will have to solve a total of 108 questions, divided equally into three sections- English Language, Quantitative Aptitude and Logical Reasoning. The duration of the exam is 120 minutes.
NMAT Entrance Exam 2021 Detailed Syllabus
Since 2015, every year, certain changes are incorporated in the NMAT syllabus. The conducting authority constantly revises NMAT by GMAC syllabus. The NMAT exam authority has drafted certain modifications regarding the mode of questions asked in the three major sections of the exam, i.e., English Language, Quantitative Aptitude & Logical Reasoning. The candidates have to answer 36 questions from each of these sections. To ensure a good NMAT score, the candidates must go through the list of topics which they will have to cover from each subject.
The updated syllabus for NMAT 2021 is as follows:
NMAT Syllabus 2021 - English Language
This section will check the candidate's understanding of basic grammatical concepts of the English language. Candidates will also have to read some poetries/proses and answer the questions based on them. Candidates may also be asked to highlight words from the comprehension, which are synonymous to the word given to them in the question. Broadly, the candidates will be tested for:
The different kinds of questions which the paper will have in the English Language section are discussed in the table below:
|Topic||Types of Questions|
|Comprehension||Reading Comprehension & Para jumbles|
To score well, one can use the best NMAT Reference Books, which covers all the topics as per the syllabus.
NMAT Syllabus 2021 - Quantitative Aptitude
The NMAT syllabus for Mathematics covers all the topics from class 6 to 10 curriculum. It involves Basic Arithmetic, Algebra, Geometry, Mensuration, Numbers, Permutation and Combination, and many others. The candidates will get about 40 minutes to solve all the 36 questions from this section.
|Geometry and Mensuration||
NMAT Syllabus 2021 - Logical Reasoning
These reasoning questions are designed to test the judgment making skills and the analytical knowledge of a candidate. Questions are based on arguments, and one has to draw valid conclusions. The candidate has to choose the best answer, which supports or weakens a given assertion or argument. There are two divisions in this section, and they are:
- Verbal Reasoning
- Analytical Reasoning
The NMAT syllabus 2021 for both Verbal and Analytical Reasoning is given below:
NMAT Syllabus 2021 Section-wise Weightage
The NMAT exam has 3 sections. The weightage of each section and time duration is mentioned in the table below:
|Subject||Weightage (Number of Questions)||Time Allotted||Score Range|
|Language Skills||36||28||12 - 120|
|Quantitative Aptitude||36||40||12 - 120|
|Logical Reasoning||36||52||12 - 120|
|Total||108||120||36 - 360|
NMAT Exam Pattern 2021
GMAC modified the exam pattern for NMAT in the year 2020. Apart from the important dates, the candidates need to pay keen attention to the NMAT syllabus and exam pattern. They should be prepared to solve all the 108 questions in the time given to them. The NMAT exam pattern 2021 will help candidates formulate a study plan and devise a strategy for scoring the maximum marks in the exam. While the NMAT 2021 syllabus provides the subject material for study, the exam pattern offers the exam structure's blueprint in terms of the section-wise weightage. The NMAT exam pattern is as follows:
|Mode of Exam||Online/ Computer-based Test (CBT)|
|Type of Question Paper||Objective/ Multiple-choice Queries (MCQ)|
|Medium of Exam||English|
|Number of Sections||3|
|Number of Questions||108|
|Duration of Exam||2 hours or 120 minutes|
|Marking Scheme||Each objective question carries +3 marks. There is no negative marking in the exam.|
NMAT 2021 Marking Scheme
The information about the NMAT Marking scheme will help candidates prepare for the exam in a better way. The marking details for NMAT exams are mentioned below.
- There is no negative marking, i.e., no marks are deducted for any wrong answer.
- There is 0 mark for unattempted questions. The candidate will not receive any marks or get deducted any marks for any unattempted question.
- Each question carries 3 marks. For every correct answer, the candidate will receive 3 marks
The NMAT marks distribution is given in detail below. The changes or the revised paper pattern are very important for candidates who are appearing for the exam.
|Subjects/Sections||Number of Questions||Score Range|
|Logical Reasoning||36||12 - 120|
|Language Skills||36||12 - 120|
|Quantitative Skills||36||12 - 120|
NMAT Preparation Tips
Along with the NMAT syllabus 2021, candidates must gather all the study materials to prepare for the exam. The NMAT 2021 aspirants must take use the below-given preparation tips to prepare for the exam efficiently.
- Time table - The candidates must prepare a realistic time table a couple of months before the examination. Time to be devoted to each of the subjects must be divided evenly. Sticking to the time table is important to prepare well.
- Consistency - Consistency is important to attain a good score in the NMAT 2021 exam. The candidates must prepare a time-plan that allows them to cover something from each section everyday.
- Revision - The candidates must revise the NMAT entrance exam syllabus and the subjects daily or weekly. This helps candidates stay in touch with all the topics that they have studied. This way, they can be calm and confident during the NMAT exam.
- Practice - The candidates must gather all study materials such as previous year question papers, mock test papers, or mock tests online and notes. The candidates must take weekly mock tests and practice last year's question papers thoroughly. This will give them an idea about the exam is and help them understand the NMAT exam pattern better.
- Basic concepts - All candidates must be clear about the basic concepts. They must seek professional help or ask someone who can help them clear their doubts.