Overview of the Eligibility Criteria for UGC NET 2019
UGC NET Eligibility Criteria
These are the eligibility criteria for the candidates who are aspiring to apply for the UGC NET 2019, a candidate should consider the given criteria, the candidate must have his/her Master's degree or an equivalent with a minimum aggregate of 55%, in subjects like Humanities and Social Sciences, Computer Science, etc, from a UGC recognized university/institution this is a basic eligibility criterion for UGC NET 2019. The OBC-Non Creamy Layer/SC/ST/PWD categories candidates should have completed their Master’s degree or an equivalent program with a minimum aggregate of 50% aggregate marks to be eligible to apply for UGC NET 2019.
The final year candidate for the Master's degree who have appeared or will appear for the qualifying exam for Master’s degree or an equivalent program is eligible. This also includes candidates who are waiting for the results of their qualifying exams. However, such candidates will be considered eligible for admission only on a provisional basis, after clearance of their qualifying exams with at least 55% marks (50% for OBC-NCL/SC/ST/PWD). Candidates holding a Ph.D. degree and have completed their Master’s exam by 19th September 1991 are also eligible to apply for UGC NET 2019 with a relaxation of 5% in the aggregate marks (i.e. from 55 % to 50%).
- It is advisable that the candidate should choose a subject related to his Post Graduation if not a related subject.
- In any case, if the candidate is ineligible the candidature will be canceled and will be subjected to legal action as well.
- The UGC NET syllabus remains unchanged taking the past trends into considerations.
Age Limit for UGC NET 2019
The age limit to apply for UGC NET are as follows:
- Junior Research Fellowship: Candidates who are below 28 years of age, as on January 2019. A relaxation of 5 years is granted to the candidates belonging to OBC/SC/ST/PWD categories as well as to the women candidates. Note that the candidates who have prior experience in the domain of research are also eligible to avail a relaxation equivalent to the time spent on research in their respective subjects during post-graduation, with a maximum limit of 5 years; If they can provide a certificate in support of the same from respective authorities. There is an age relaxation of 3 years to candidates possessing an L.L.M degree.
- Assistant Professor: There is no upper age limit as such for the assistant professor role. The Candidates who have passed the UGC JRF exams prior to 1989 are also exempted from appearing in UGC NET 2019. The candidate will be eligible to apply for the assistant professor post if they have cleared SET NET SLET Exams.
Exemption from UGC NET
There are certain exemptions allowed to each category of people applying for the UGC NET 2019.
- Ph.D. Exemption from UGC NET: Candidates who have Ph.D. degree, in accordance with UGC Regulations, 2009, shall be exempted from the minimum eligibility criteria of UGC NET/SLET/SET for the appointment of Assistant Professor or equivalent positions in Universities, Colleges, and Institutions.
- NET/SLET/SET will be considered as the minimum eligibility condition for recruitment and appointment of Assistant Professors in Universities, Colleges, and Institutions.
- SET Candidates: The candidates who have passed the States Eligibility Test (SET) accredited by UGC for eligibility of Assistant Professor, conducted prior to 1st December 2002, are exempted from taking this exam, they are eligible to apply for Assistant Professor anywhere in India.
- Exemption: The candidates who have cleared the UGC/CSIR JRF Exam before 1989 are also exempted from appearing in UGC NET.
UGC NTA Category-Wise Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria for general category candidates who are applying for UGC NET 2019 exam are the candidate should have scored 55% aggregate in his/her Master’s Degree or Equivalent Degree. The candidates applying for the Junior Research Fellowship must be equal to 28 years. There will be no upper age limit for the post of Lecturer/Assistant Professor.
- The age relaxation is also provisioned for the candidates with experience of research (provided they have to obtain a certificate of the same to get the relaxation).
- The categorical relaxation in age will be allowed on the ground of producing the relevant certificate.
- The candidates will not get any age relaxation of more than 5 years either through one or multiple clauses.
- The certificates which will be considered as the proof of age are 10th standard mark sheet or passing certificate and DOB certificate.
UGC NET Eligibility Criteria (ST/SC/OBC/ PWD Category)
The eligibility criteria for ST/SC/OBC/ PWD category are the candidate should have 50% aggregate in the Master’sDegree. The Ph.D. degree holders whose Master’s level exam has completed by September 19, 1991 (irrespective of the date of declaration of result) will be eligible for a relaxation of 5% in aggregate marks i.e. from 55% to 50% for appearing in NET.
- A final year student of Master’s Degree or passed out a student whose result is still awaited is also eligible to apply for UGC NET Exam.
- However, such students will only be considered for the admission for the Award of Junior Research Fellowship and Assistant Professor when they have passed their Master’s Degree with required percentage criteria (As mentioned above).
General Eligibility for UGC NET 2019
The following are general eligibility criteria a candidate has to meet in order to apply for UGC NET:
- Requirements: Candidates will have to provide class 10 marks card & Birth Certificates for the age proof.
- Age relaxation: Age relaxation is provided for the candidates with experience of research (provided they have to obtain a certificate of the same to get the relaxation). Relevant Category Certificates are required for Age Relaxation. The candidates will not get any age relaxation of more than 5 years either through one or multiple clauses. 5 years of Relaxation will be provided for Women candidates in SC/ST/PWD/OBC.
- Age limit: The candidates applying for JRF must have aged below or equal to 28 years. There will be no upper age limit for the post of Lecturer/Assistant Professor.
- Previous criteria: Earlier qualifying criteria for UGC NET Exam involved qualifying top 15% of those candidates in each subject and category, who obtained the minimum required marks in paper-I, paper-II & paper-III according to the category of the candidates.
- Revised criteria: University Grants Commission had revised the procedure and criteria for qualifying candidates and as such it has been decided that 6% of the total candidates who appear in the UGC-NET examination will be declared qualified as per the exam pattern.
- Qualifying percentage: The qualifying percentage out of total candidates who appeared in the previous 4 UGC-NET examinations is given below:
June 2015 UGC-NET
December 2015 UGC-NET
July 2016 UGC-NET
January 2017 UGC-NET