UGC Norms For Fee Refund 2020- University Grant Commission ordered all the institutions to abide by the rule and refund the necessary fee. Get more details about the UGC Fee refund policy and UGC guidelines for fee refund 2020-21.
As per the notice released by the secretary, UGC on 17th December 2020 with regards to the guidelines of the University Grants Commission (UGC) on the academic calendar for the first year of undergraduate and post-graduate students of the universities for the academic year 2020-21 in view of the COVID-19 pandemic, full refund of fees can be availed by the students on account of all cancellation of admission, migration of students up to 30th November 2020 with zero cancellation charges. In case of cancellation or withdrawal of admission up to 30th December 2020, the entire fee collected from the students will be refunded in full after the deduction of not more than INR 1000 as a processing fee.
UGC also had released a notification in 2018 regarding the refund of the fee and storage of the original documents of the students. Many students filed a complaint to UGC regarding the same because they are asked to take admission even before the examination is conducted. The article will discuss the UGC norms and guidelines for a refund of admission fees.
List of Topics
UGC Norms for Fee Refund Overview
Many students reached out to the HRD ministry for the unfair promises made by some universities. The UGC, University Grants Commission, reacted to those complaints and released a notification to stop any malpractices. The announcement was first shared by the Union HRD Minister, Mr. Prakash Javadekar, in 2018. Candidates, because of not getting their fee refunded, faced a lot of problems in selecting the colleges they wanted. Institutions used to ask students to pay the fee, and they will not get a refund even if they get admitted to another institution. Some private and deemed to be universities have a hefty fee structure, so it was getting impossible for the students to try applying to different colleges. University Grant Commission ordered all the institutions to abide by the rule and refund the necessary fee. The UGC also came with certain norms for the fee refund procedure, as the candidate can get the fee refund if and when he/she withdraws from the admission. However, the two major hurdles that were faced by the candidates were:
- Institutes stored the candidate’s original documents at the time of admission.
- Candidates who withdrew their admission at the desired time also did not get any refund.
UGC Guidelines For Fee Refund 2020
UGC came out with a strict notification for the fee refunds and storage of the original documents of the candidates. They made sure all the colleges and universities abide by the guidelines. Candidates can check the UGC Guidelines for fee refund 2020 below:
- The institute will not make it mandatory for any student to purchase the college prospectus. It should be his/her personal choice to buy it or not.
- The prospectus should have all the UGC norms for the fee refund details mentioned.
- All the institutions should mention all the details on their official website about their college, courses, fees, submissions, applications so that the candidate can make a well-planned choice.
- Institutions are only allowed to collect the fee per semester. They cannot collect the entire fee of the course in advance.
- If any candidate decides to withdraw from the course in which he/she took admission to, then the institute shall follow the below-mentioned system of the UGC norms for fee refund:
|Refund of Fee (percentage)||Time period (withdrawal of the application)|
|100%||15 days or more, before the last date of admission has been notified|
|90%||Less than 15 days before the last date of admission|
|80%||15 days or less, after the last date of admission|
|50%||30 days or less, but more than 15 days, after the last date of admission|
|00%||More than 30 days after the last date of admission|
- Caution money and the security deposit money which are not part of the fee structure will be refunded entirely.
- Fees shall be refunded of the eligible candidate by the institute within 15 days after the candidate has submitted the official written letter to the authority.
UGC Norms for Fee Refund and Original Documents 2020
The UGC made an excellent step by releasing the notification for the fee refund. Candidates got relief because of it, and they can apply to various colleges if they want, without thinking about the fee depositions. Along with the same notification of UGC norms for fee refunds, it also notified the institutions to not keep the original documents of the candidates, as they are required in various colleges for verification. Candidates can check the UGC norms below:
- No institute shall ask the candidate to submit their original and personal documents at the time of admission, instead, it is mandatory for the candidates to submit self-attested copies of the same.
- Institutes can use the original documents and certificates for verification purposes, and according to it, submit the candidate’s self-attested copies.
- Institutes can ask the candidate for the original documents at any point in time during the course for physical verification, but the original documents should be returned immediately to the candidate.
- The collection of any original certificate or document is extremely prohibited.
- .If the certificate or document does not appear to be authentic, the institute can contact the certificate/ document issuing authority for verification, but cannot take in custody any candidate’s original documents or certificates.
UGC Norms for Fee Refund Disciplinary Action
The UGC has also made sure that if an institution does not follow the UGC norms for fee refund and handling of original documents, then that institute would have to face the disciplinary action/actions. The institutes shall note that the Commission will not take any action mentioned below unless the institution has been given an opportunity of being heard. The disciplinary actions that might be taken against the institutions are:
- Withdrawal from receiving any grants.
- The UGC can withdraw the present grants.
- The institute will be considered ineligible for further programs or assistance.
- The notification of the institution being ineligible would be published in the national newspaper/ media and will also be notified on the official website of the commission.
- The affiliating university would be contacted to cancel the affiliation of a college/ institute.
- The status of the deemed to be university would be removed by the Central Government.
- The State government would be requested to take any action if the college/institute was established under the State Act.
- The Commission can take any action under them if required.
UGC Norms for Fee Refund Grievance Portal
This move by the UGC has made the admission process transparent and easy for students. Now the students do not have to worry about settling for just one college. The UGC norms for fee refunds have been extremely welcoming by everyone. With the norms being published, UGC has also released an option of Grievance Portal, where students can register their complaints. These grievances portal will be available on the official website of UGC and the respective institutes. The complaints will be redressed within 30 days. Every institute should have a grievance portal. All the fee related and different types of complaints will be addressed through this.