CAT result 2021 will be released on the official website. Candidates can log in using their respective user IDs and passwords to view the IIM CAT 2021 result. It will contain information on the candidate's percentile, score, category, etc. The scorecard issued in the year 2021 will be valid till December 31, 2022. Along with percentile, the IIM CAT result shall also hold the sectional scores obtained by the student. Based on the percentile obtained in the CAT exam, a candidate will get calls from IIMs. With their result, an aspirant can apply to other private universities that accept the exam score as an eligibility criterion.
Get complete information on IIM CAT results, including the result announcement date, link to access the scorecard, its validity, and more.
CAT 2021 Result Dates
All the aspirants must be aware of the key dates associated with the IIM CAT result. The candidates will have to visit the official website to download the scorecard. Refer to the table given below to get complete details of the result dates.
|Exam Date 2021||Nov 28, 2021|
|Answer Key 2021||To be announced|
|Result Date 2021||To be announced|
|IIM Shortlist for WAT, GD, and PI rounds||To be announced|
|Final Selection||To be announced|
How to Check CAT 2021 Result?
Candidates can conveniently check their IIM CAT result by following the below-given steps.
- Step 1: Visit the 2021 official website, iimcat.ac.in
- Step 2: Click on the "CAT Scorecard 2021".
- Step 3: Enter credentials (user ID and password) to view the scorecard.
- Step 4: After you click on the " Login" button, the following window will appear on the screen, which will be showing - Percentile in each section, total marks, and the final result mentioned in the scorecard.
- Step 5: Download the result and also take a printout of the scorecard. The scorecard must be preserved for future reference and for CAT 2021 counselling
Sample of CAT Scorecard
The candidates can have a look at the image provided below to see a sample of the CAT scorecard.
CAT Scorecard 2021 Important Highlights
The CAT scorecard is data of a candidate's result, acquired in the exam. The CAT score for IIM will be valid for one year. The marks and percentile are sorted section-wise. It also contains the candidate's overall score. Here's a list of all the information that is provided on the aspirant's scorecard. Candidates can check them and proceed with further processes.
CAT Scorecard Contents
- Candidate's registration number/user ID
- Candidate's name, category, and gender
- Date of birth (DOB)
- Date and time of examination
- Candidate's contact details and email id
- CAT overall score
- CAT sectional scores
- CAT section-wise percentile score
- CAT overall percentile score.
These scores and percentile available on the scorecard will determine a student's admission process.
CAT Score Validity
The CAT score for IIM is valid for one year only. The score is accepted for admission by most of the Management Institutions and Colleges in the country. The candidates who qualify for the first round are invited to participate in the proceeding admission processes. If a candidate manages to attain the ideal result for IIM, they would then be called for the Personal Interview or Written Ability Test, whichever the management chooses to conduct.
CAT 2021 Marking Scheme
It is important to familiarize oneself with the updated CAT marking scheme before proceeding to understand the difference between percentile and score.
|Types of Questions||Marks Per Question||Incorrect Answer|
|Multiple Choice Type||+3||-1|
|Descriptive Answer Type (TITA)||+3||No Negative Marking|
- Since the exam duration has been reduced by 60 minutes, the number of questions asked in the exam is likely to be reduced.
- The sectional time limit given for the exam is 40 minutes.
What is CAT Percentile?
CAT percentile is variable. It depends majorly on the number of test-takers and the scores they attain in the exam. If a candidate’s percentile is 90%, it means that he/she performed better than 90% of the candidates who appeared for the exam.
If 1000 candidates appeared for the exam and X outperformed everyone, it means that X scored better than 999 others. The formula to calculate X’s CAT percentile would be:
999/1000x100 = 99.9
CAT percentile can be interpreted as a candidate’s rank in numeric terms. The estimated percentile range for CAT 2021, with respect to the marks scored by the candidates, is given below:
|CAT 2021 Percentile Range||CAT 2021 Overall Score|
Given below is a table showing the trends of the CAT Percentile with respect to the sectional scores attained by the candidates in exam.
|Percentile||Score VA-RC||Score DI-LR||Score QA||Overall Score|
|85%ile (cut off)||45||29||27||95-98|
Generally, in this exam, every candidate is awarded 3 marks for a right answer and 1 mark is deducted for every wrong answer. But for non-MCQ questions, there is no negative marking. The percentile is calculated in 3 steps.
- Sectional scores are calculated for VARC, DILR, and QA.
- Then the overall score arrives in the CAT scorecard.
- Then after normalization based on scores of all the candidates, the percentile is calculated.
Note: Percentile scores vary each year depending on the overall performance of all candidates in the exam. Hence, candidates must not focus on percentile but focus on maximizing their scores.
What is the CAT Scaled Score?
Since CAT is conducted in more than one shift, various sets of question papers are created to assess the candidate’s performance. The difficulty level of different sets, however, may vary. To ensure a just and fair delivery of scores, CAT provides a scaled score, which is extracted after the normalization process.
For more details on the topic, click here: CAT Score vs Percentile
CAT 2021 Score Normalization
The CAT exam will be conducted in two sessions in a day, across all test centers. To ensure fairness and equity in testing the performance of candidates who appeared for the test across different formats, a process called CAT Score Normalization is carried out. This process will take into consideration the location and the scale differences of score distributions in different forms. After this, the score will again be normalized for different sections. Then finally it will be converted into a percentile for the selection purpose and published in the candidate's CAT scorecard. To practice transparency and fairness in the result, the scaled scores for each section along with the total and percentile will be published.
CAT Result Dates Trend Over the Years
The candidates can download the CAT Scorecard by entering the CAT user ID and password on the official website. The table provided below will give us certain information regarding the result date scenario. This data is based on the previous year's CAT result date trends.
|Year||Result Date||Result Time||IIM Declaring CAT Result|
|CAT 2015||January 08, 2016||1 PM||IIM Ahmedabad|
|CAT 2016||January 09, 2017||10 AM||IIM Bangalore|
|CAT 2017||January 08, 2018||9 AM||IIM Lucknow|
|CAT 2018||January 05, 2019||1 PM||IIM Calcutta|
|CAT 2019||January 04, 2020||2 PM||IIM Kozhikode|
Important Instructions Related to CAT 2021
- Percentile: A percentile is a measure used in statistics indicating the value below which a given percentage of observations in a group of observations falls. For instance, in a group of 100 students if a pupil scores 99 percentile it means that he or she has scored above 99 people in the group. The CAT result 2021 displays the Percentile of the candidate.
- Scorecard: A typical CAT Scorecard will hold important information like the name of the candidate, sectional cutoffs, overall cutoffs, etc. The CAT 2020 scorecard was announced on January 02, 2021.
- Selection Process: IIMs and Non-IIM institutes independently decide the CAT 2021 Eligibility Criteria for admission and have a different selection process. The scores are to be used only for selecting the candidates for their Post Graduate / Fellow Programme(s) in Management.
- Scores: There is an overall score and sectional score. The sectional score cut off of each IIM varies and one must cross that score to get admission to a particular college. Both are mentioned on the CAT Scorecard.
Note: The mere possession of a CAT Scorecard does not assure a candidate's admission into any of the colleges. Each candidate has to attain the cut off marks in the result and participate in the counselling conducted by colleges to get admission.
What After CAT 2021 Result?
- Few days after the announcement of IIM CAT result 2021, based on your percentile you will get the most anticipated "calls" from the coveted IIMs for the next level of the selection process. The next level is WAT/GD-PI rounds. WAT stands for Written Ability Test, GD for Group Discussion, and PI for Personal Interview.
- For most Institutes, the WAT/GD-PI round is conducted in the months of February and March, while admission offer letters are issued to successful candidates, in the months of April and May.
- Each institute announces its admission process and selection criteria beforehand. You can check the selection criteria from the official website of the respective institutes/colleges.
- WAT (Written Ability Test): For WAT, you will be asked to answer a few questions after reading a couple of case studies or hot topics. The answer should be within a specific word limit of 250-300 words, in a restricted time of 20 minutes or so.
- Group Discussion (GD): Again for group discussion a case study containing controversial or argumentative topics, with half arguing for and another half against it. The GD is conducted not just to evaluate your knowledge on the topic, but also to gauge your team approach, leadership skills, and communication skills. You should be noted that sometimes students are asked to recall the points from GD in the personal interview.
- Personal Interview (PI): For the interview prepare a non-generic, original answer to the most frequently asked questions like ‘Tell me something about yourself’, 'Why do you want to do an MBA?', ‘Where do you see yourself in five years from now?’ etc. Focus on your CV and current topics.
- The topics for all three of these processes may include topics from static GK or current topics, factual or case-based, argumentative, abstract, or opinion-based.
CAT Cut Off
The CAT 2021 cut off will be declared after the declaration of the final result. All the IIMs have different overall cut off criteria and sectional cut off criteria, based on which the candidates get their respective call-letters for the next rounds of the selection process. For other institutes accepting the CAT score, they decide their own cut off and merit list for the admission process.
Read More: CAT Cut Off
CAT Result Toppers
Here's data on the highest scores attained by some of the CAT result toppers in the year 2018 and 2019:
CAT 2021 Result Helpdesk
If candidates find any discrepancies in their CAT Scorecards, they must contact the conducting authorities on the given portals:
Email: [email protected]
Contact Number: 1800-209-0830