Top IIMs in India list based on NIRF Ranking discussed in this article. Check more details about Top IIMs in India 2021 according to NIRF Ranking including courses offered, Admission Procedure and Selection Procedure.
List of Top IIMs in India 2021- Courses Offered, Admissions Process, and Selection Process
The IIMs establishment was an initiative taken by Jawaharlal Nehru who was India’s first Prime Minister. The effort was based on the recommendation of the Planning Commission in India. Presently, the IIMs have been declared as ‘institutions of national importance by the Ministry of Human Resource Development (HRD) after the passage of the Indian Institutes of Management Act, 2017. After this act IIMs were given more autonomy in handling their daily operations individually. The IIMs group in India comprises 20 public, autonomous institutes in India. Under the Ministry of HRD, Government of India, NIRF (National Institutional Ranking Framework) sets ranking for Institutions based on their overall performance every year. The 2020 NIRF Ranking was released online on 11 June 2020. In this article, find the information related to the parameters of NIRF rankings with the list of IIMs and the admission process carried out.
List of Topics
Top IIMs in India Ranking Parameters 2021
The NIRF every year ranks the colleges in India based on different disciplines, courses offered, or even overall ranking in the country. These rankings are done based on the following parameters:
- Teaching, Learning & Resources: The parameter is related to the total number of students studying in the institution within all UG and PG Programs but excluding the Ph.D. program, the number of Faculty on a full-time basis, the number of faculty with a Ph.D. and the Average Annual Capital Expenditure per student on Academic Activities and Resources along with Faculty and Staff Salaries, Maintenance of Academic Infrastructure or consumables, etc. on a per-student basis.
- Research and Professional Practice: The parameter calculates the institutional PW: Number of publications reported in Web of Science, Scopus, PUBMED, the Indian Citation Index, etc. This also deals with the number of patents filed by the institutions in the previous 3 years and the average annual research funding earnings at the institute level along with the annual earnings from full-time Executive Development Programs for the last 3 years.
- Graduation Outcomes: The parameter calculates the percentage of graduating students (both at the UG and PG levels) placed through campus placement on an average and the number of graduating students who were admitted into a top university for higher studies in the previous year.
- Outreach and Inclusivity: The parameter calculates students from different states/countries, the percentage of women studying, Economically and Socially Challenged Students as well as Facilities for Physically Challenged Students.
- Perception: The parameter includes a survey taken out by the NIRF department with a large category of Institution heads, professionals from Reputed Organizations, Officials of Funding agencies in government, private sector, NGOs, etc. The survey is concluded with the perception of the institution and ranking on the same basis.
Top IIMs in India List 2021
Find below the list of all 20 IIMs in India with the 2020 and 2019 NIRF Rankings:
|College||NIRF Ranking 2020||NIRF Ranking 2019|
|Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad||1||2|
|Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore||2||1|
|Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta||3||3|
|Indian Institute of Management, Lucknow||4||4|
|Indian Institute of Management, Kozhikode||6||8|
|Indian Institute of Management, Indore||7||5|
|Indian Institute of Management, Tiruchirappalli||15||14|
|Indian Institute of Management, Udaipur||17||13|
|Indian Institute of Management, Raipur||19||19|
|Indian Institute of Management, Ranchi||20||28|
|Indian Institute of Management, Rohtak||21||23|
|Indian Institute of Management, Shillong||30||24|
|Indian Institute of Management,||33||25|
|Indian Institute of Management, Nagpur||40||-|
|Indian Institute of Management, Sambalpur||82||-|
|Indian Institute of Management, Bodh Gaya||-||-|
|Indian Institute of Management, Jammu||-||-|
|Indian Institute of Management, Visakhapatnam||-||-|
|Indian Institute of Management, Sirmaur||-||-|
|Indian Institute of Management, Amritsar||-||-|
Top IIMs in India Courses Offered 2021
IIMs are the most desired destination in India for 2 year MBA program, managerial executive programs for working professionals, doctorate programs, and for research purposes. The IIMs offer 2 years, 1 year, and 5 years of Integrated diploma in management. Only these programs are considered as full-time MBAs in India. The following are the courses offered at Top IIMs in India:
- Post Graduate Program in Management (PGP): The PGP program is the flagship program of IIMs which is offered by all the 20 institutes. This course is equal to an MBA degree, and students are awarded PGDM (Post Graduate Diploma in Management) degree on completion of the course. The course duration is two years spread across six trimesters. PGP is a fully-integrated management program that consists of core courses in various management disciplines. In the 2nd year of this course, students can choose a preferred course from the list of electives.
- PGP- FABM (Food and Agribusiness Management): This is a 2 years full-time course that was previously known as the PGP- ABM program. In the 1st year of the course, students of PGP and FABM study a common syllabus. The students of FABM study a few extra subjects. In the 2nd year of the program, the FABM program focuses more on agro-based subjects.
- PGP in Human Resource Management (PGDHRM): This program is the flagship program of IIM Ranchi offered full-time. The program is divided into six semesters with an additional summer project.
- PGP in Public Policy and Management (PGPPM): This program aims at providing comprehensive studies that help to improve policy maker’s efficiency as well as leadership skills. PGPPM focuses entirely on leadership skills development and helping public policy and professionals in tackling new challenges. The duration of PGPPM is one year, including a 2 weeks international immersion program.
- PGP in Enterprise Management (PGPEM): This program is offered by IIM Bangalore and is a 22 monthly weekend residential program. The program can be pursued by middle-level and senior executives having at least 4 years of work experience after Graduation.
- PGP in Business Management (PGPBM): This course is offered by IIM Tiruchirappalli and is a 24-month program. The course focuses on preparing working executives for senior leadership roles.
- PGP in Sustainable Management (PGP-SM): PGP-SM is a 2 years full-time program in Sustainable Management offered by IIM Lucknow. The program is spread across 6 semesters which includes an international immersion program.
- PGP in Agri-Business Management (PGP-ABM): PGP-ABM is designed to develop entrepreneurs and intrapreneurs in the field of agribusiness. The 2 years full -time residential program is offered by IIM Lucknow.
The part-time diplomas are considered as Executive/Part-time MBAs. Some of the most popular executive programs offered by IIM are:
- Executive Programme in Business Analytics: This program is available with IIM Calcutta. Business Analytics is about gaining skills to measure post-business performance with analysis skills in data management.
- Executive Programme in Leadership & Management: This course is available at the prestigious IIM Calcutta. The program is specifically designed for senior managers with more than 10 years experience. EPLM program helps to work towards the mission of providing quality executive education and develop leadership skills.
- Executive Program in Sales & Marketing: This program is available with IIM Calcutta and is molded for professionals who want to pursue a career in Sales & Marketing. This course provides knowledge of current approaches to acquiring, growing, and retaining business in an optimized manner.
- Executive Program in Human Resource Management: This program is available with IIM Calcutta and covers HRM at both the macro and micro levels to upgrade the line managers dealing with human resources.
- Executive Programme in Business Finance: This program is available at IIM Ahmedabad and is designed for mid-level and senior executives who have some exposure to finance. The program is molded to cover various aspects of business finance such as financial accounting, managerial accounting, management control systems, etc.
- Executive Programme in Advanced Business Analytics: This program is available at IIM Ahmedabad and is designed to train professionals with the acumen of critical analytical abilities. This course and the skills gained will not only help the professionals to climb up high in their careers but also be beneficial for the employers to get on the more profitable side.
Top IIMs in India Admissions Process 2021
Securing a seat in IIMs of India requires applicants to go through Common Admission Test (CAT) exam which is held every year and is a very competitive exam. The admission process also depends on the candidate’s performance in group discussions and personal interviews conducted by the particular IIM branches. The CAT exam covers Quantitative Ability, Data Interpretation, Verbal Ability, and Reading Comprehension.
To get a PG Degree from IIMs, the candidate must hold a bachelor’s degree and clear CAT or GMAT exam. For executive programs, a few years of work experience is required in the applied field. The selection is done on the basis of academic records and scorecard for the entrance exams. For more information related to the selection process, refer to the below section of this article.
Top IIMs in India Selection Process 2021
Following is the selection process of IIM broken down into 3 stages. After the CAT results are out, the students will go through these steps:
- Shortlisting of candidates based on CAT exam score: Once the CAT result is out, the candidates must apply for WAT/GD-PI round by each IIM on the official website. The candidates who meet the shortlist cutoff will have to login through their CAT IDs and submit their name as well as the CAT scorecard.
- Screening of candidates for WAT/GD-PI: In this stage of the selection process, the candidates who have applied for WAT/GD-PI, are further shortlisted on the basis of their CAT score as well as their academic record after which interview letters are sent out.
- Calculation of Composite Score and Final Selection: In this stage, the composite score of every candidate is calculated based on various parameters to finalize his/her selection. The final selection process of IIM admission includes the assessment of a candidate on certain parameters and the calculation of his/her composite score. The eight main parameters for this calculation are 10 class score, 12 class score, Graduation Score, performance in WAT/GD-PI, Academic Diversity (for candidates with non-engineering backgrounds), Gender Diversity (preference to female and transgender students), and Work Experience (1-5 years of work experience preferred).