Get complete information on GATE Civil Engineering Syllabus 2023. Check the detailed section-wise syllabus, books and exam pattern.
GATE Civil Engineering is one of the twenty-five exams of the GATE examination for admission into postgraduate and research programmes. The GATE Civil Engineering syllabus must be thoroughly prepared by the candidates to be able to crack the GATE 2023 examination with a good score.
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) 2023 will be conducted by IIT Kanpur for aspirants who want to pursue further postgraduate courses in engineering such as M.Tech and Doctoral programs. The GATE 2023 examination is conducted by the 7 original Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT) and Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Bangalore, on behalf of the National Coordination Board (NCB) - GATE, Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India. The GATE examination is conducted every year by one of the institutions on a rotational basis.
Table of Contents
- GATE 2023 Civil Engineering Syllabus
- GATE 2023 Civil Engineering Syllabus for General Aptitude
- GATE 2023 Civil Engineering Syllabus Section-Wise
- GATE 2023 Civil Engineering Exam Pattern
- GATE Civil Engineering Reference Books
- GATE Civil Engineering Eligibility
GATE 2023 Civil Engineering Syllabus
The GATE Civil Engineering Syllabus consists of 7 Sections. And they are:
- Section 1: Engineering Mathematics
- Section 2: Structural Engineering
- Section 3: Geotechnical Engineering
- Section 4: Water Resources Engineering
- Section 5: Environmental Engineering
- Section 6: Transportation Engineering
- Section 7: Geomatics Engineering
GATE Civil Engineering Syllabus also includes General Aptitude which consists of Verbal Ability and Numerical Ability. The section of General aptitude remains the same for all of the GATE exams.
GATE 2023 Civil Engineering Syllabus for General Aptitude
The topics for General Aptitude are -
- Verbal Ability: English grammar, sentence completion, Instructions, Verbal analogies, Word groups, Critical reasoning, Verbal deduction
- Numerical Ability: Numerical computation, Numerical reasoning, Numerical estimation, Data interpretation
GATE 2023 Civil Engineering Syllabus Section-Wise
The GATE syllabus for Civil engineering Syllabus consists of seven different sections and the General Aptitude Section remains the same for all exams under GATE.
The GATE Civil Engineering is a tough examination and candidates must be thorough with the subjects and the topics. The GATE Civil Engineering exams shall open opportunities for candidates aspiring to pursue postgraduate courses such as Masters and Doctoral courses. It is also helpful in offering jobs to qualified candidates depending on their GATE score.
Each section has its own sub-topics. Candidates can refer to the GATE civil engineering syllabus tabulated below:
|Section 1: Engineering Mathematics||
|Section 2: Structural Engineering||
|Section 3: Geotechnical Engineering||
|Section 4: Water Resources Engineering||
|Section 5: Environmental Engineering||
|Section 6: Transportation Engineering||
|Section 7: Geomatics Engineering||
GATE 2023 Civil Engineering Exam Pattern
The GATE exam is carried out for 3 hours. There are three sections and the questions are in form of MCQs and NATs. The exam pattern for GATE Civil Engineering is the following:
|Number of Sections||3|
|Name of the sections||
|Mode of Examination||Online or Computer Based Test (CBT)|
|Number of Questions||65|
|Time Allotted||3 hours or 180 minutes|
There is a negative marking for only MCQs and there is no negative marking for NATs.
- For questions of 1 mark, a total of 0.3 marks will be deducted for every wrong answer.
- For questions of 2 marks, a total of 0.6 marks will be deducted for every wrong answer.
Read More: GATE 2023 Exam Pattern
GATE Civil Engineering Reference Books
GATE Civil Engineering Syllabus is vast. Therefore, referring to the best books and preparing from them can be a bonus. Here is the books for civil engineering listed below:
|Theory of Structure||
|Theory of Elasticity||Timoshenko & Gere|
|Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications||Kenneth Rosen|
|Higher Engineering mathematics||B.S. Grewal|
|Advanced Engineering Mathematics||Erwin Kreyszig|
|Soil Mechanics||Gopal Ranjan & Rao, Venkat Ramaiha, and S K Garg|
|Geotechnical engineering: Principles and Practises||Donald P Coduto|
|Geotechnical engineering: Unsaturated and Saturated Soils||J L Briaud|
|Water Resources Engineering|
|Water Resources||S K Garg|
|Environmental Engineering||S. K. Garg|
|Waste Water Engineering||B. C. Punmia Part I & Part II|
|Surveying (vol. 1,2,3)||B.C.Punmia, Ashok Jain, Arun Jain|
Read More: GATE 2023 Books
GATE Civil Engineering Eligibility
All candidates who are aspiring to appear for GATE Civil Engineering Exam must have the following:
- Must possess an undergraduate degree of B.E or B.Tech
- If the candidate does not have the degree, he/she must be pursuing the final or the last year of his B.E or B.Tech
- The candidates must not have any backlogs
- There is no age limit for any of the candidates as long as they have the degree.
- Candidates who are Indian and as well candidates who are from a different nationality are also eligible to apply.
Q. How many sections are there for the GATE Civil Engineering Exam?
A. GATE Civil engineering exam shall have three sections namely General Aptitude, Mathematics, and Civil Engineering Subjects which will include seven different sections.
Q. What are the best books to refer to while preparing for the GATE Civil engineering Exam?
A. Some of the books that the aspiring candidates can refer to are GATE Civil Engineering| GATE 2022 by Pearson Publications, GATE Civil Engineering Previous Solved Papers by ME Editorial Board, Civil Engineering GATE 2022 by Arihant Experts, GATE 2022 – Guide – Civil Engineering by GKP Publications.
Q. How many questions will be asked from the Civil engineering subjects?
A. There will be a total number of 65 questions, out of which 10 questions will be for General Aptitude Section, the rest 55 questions shall be from both Mathematics and Civil Engineering subjects sections.
Q. What are the total marks of the GATE Civil Engineering Exam?
A. The total marks for GATE Civil Engineering Exam are 100 marks.