WBJEE exam pattern 2023 has been set by the conducting body. The exam is a pen and paper-based test comprising multiple choice questions (MCQs). Knowing the WBJEE exam pattern 2023 will help the aspirants prepare for WBJEE 2023 better, as it serves as an advantage. Read further to know all the details about WBJEE 2023 exam pattern.
Latest Updates on WBJEE
- Jan 25, 2023: WBJEE 2023 exam will be conducted on Apr 30, 2023. Read More
WBJEE Exam Pattern 2023 Highlights
WBJEE 2023 exam will be held to enable candidates to get admission into professional courses like Engineering and Technology, Pharmacy, and Architecture across West Bengal. The table below gives an overview of WBJEE exam pattern 2023 and other information related to the exam.
|Question Type||Multiple Choice Question i.e. MCQs or Objective|
|Mode of the Exam||Offline or Pen-paper based|
|Answering Mode||Optical Mark Recognition i.e. OMR|
|Duration||2 hours for each paper (a total of 4 hours)|
|Number of Papers||Paper-I: Mathematics|
|Paper-II: Physics and Chemistry|
|Number of Questions||Mathematics: 75 questions|
|Physics: 40 questions|
|Chemistry: 40 questions|
|Marking Scheme||Category-I: +1, -0.25|
|Category-II: +2, -0.5|
|Category-III: No negative marking|
The authorities will mention the latest WBJEE exam pattern of the exam in the official platform. All the important details regarding the exam pattern like questions type, medium, and mode of the exam will be present in WBJEE official notification.
WBJEE 2023 exam will be comprised of three sections, which are Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics. WBJEE 2023 question paper will be of objective type, i.e., candidates will be asked multiple choice questions also referred as MCQs. There will be two papers in WBJEE exam, i.e., Paper-I for Mathematics subject whereas Paper-II for Physics and Chemistry.
|Subject||Category 1 - Marks 1 (Number of Questions)||Category 2 - Marks 2 (Number of Questions)||Category 3 - Marks 2 (Number of Questions)||Total No of Questions||Total Marks|
WBJEE 2023 exam will be of 200 marks. Although there is negative marking for the exam, the marking scheme differs for every category. Along with WBJEE exam pattern, students should always have a look at WBJEE 2023 sample papers and WBJEE syllabus to have a better understanding of the WBJEE exam.
WBJEE 2023 Marking Scheme
The details about WBJEE 2023 exam pattern and the marking scheme of the exam are stated below in the table.
|Subject||Question Category 1||Question Category 2||Question Category 3||Total Number of Questions||Total Marks|
|Biological Sciences||80x1 marks||25x2 marks||10x2 marks||115||150|
|Physics||30x1 marks||5x2 marks||5x2 marks||40||50|
|Chemistry||30x1 marks||5x2 marks||5x2 marks||40||50|
|Mathematics||50x1 marks||15x2 marks||10x2 marks||75||100|
WBJEE 2023 Category-Wise Marking Scheme
The category-wise marking scheme for WBJEE 2023 exam is explained as below
Question Category 1
- The right option yields 1 mark: Only one option is correct. The correct option will yield a 1 mark.
- Wrong option yielded Negative Marking: Incorrect option will yield -¼(negative ¼) marks.
- Combination of right and wrong: For any option of more than one option, the said answer is treated as incorrect and will yield -¼ (negative ¼) marks.
Question Category 2
- The correct option yields 2 marks: Only one option is correct. The correct option will yield 2 (two) marks.
- Negative Marking: The incorrect option will yield -½ (negative ½) marks.
- Combination of Answers: For any combination of more than one option, the said answer is treated as incorrect and will yield -½ (negative ½) marks.
Question Category 3
- Marking correct options: One or more options are correct. Marking all correct options only will yield 2 (two) marks.
- Combination of incorrect answers: For any combination of answers containing one or more incorrect options, the said answer is treated as incorrect and it will yield a zero (0) mark.
- Partially correct answers: For potentially correct answers, i.e. when all correct options are not marketed and also no incorrect options are marketed, marks awarded = 2 X (no of correct options marked) / (total no of actually correct options).
Note: Candidate should take note of, the above-mentioned dates are tentative and they are therefore subject to change.
WBJEE 2023 Syllabus
Now you know what WBJEE exam pattern looks like, let us now have a look at WBJEE 2023 syllabus which is of equal importance. The syllabus is divided into three sections; Maths, Physics, Chemistry. Find the syllabus below.
WBJEE 2023 Syllabus for Mathematics
The main topics of mathematics in WBJEE 2023 syllabus are given below.
- Coordinate geometry of two dimensions
- Coordinate geometry of three dimensions
WBJEE 2023 Syllabus for Physics
The topics in WBJEE Physics syllabus 2023 are mentioned below.
- Physical World, Measurements, Units, and dimensions
- Laws of motion
- The motion of the center of mass, connected systems, Friction
- Bulk properties of matter
- Kinetic theory of gases
- Optics II (Wave Optics)
- Atomic Physics
- Nuclear Physics
WBJEE 2023 Syllabus for Chemistry
The main topics in WBJEE Chemistry syllabus 2023 are stated below.
- Atoms, Molecules and Chemical Arithmetic
- Atomic Structure
- Radioactivity and Nuclear Chemistry
- The Periodic Table and Chemical Families
- Chemical Bonding and Molecular Structure
- Coordination Compounds
For more information on the syllabus check WBJEE Syllabus Page