The WBJEE is a pen and paper-based test comprising Multiple Choice Questions. The questions and evaluations are based on question categories. Questions will be of three categories based on the WBJEE syllabus as per the following table. Knowing the WBJEE exam pattern will help the aspirants prepare for the WBJEE Exam 2021 better as it serves as an advantage.
WBJEE Exam Pattern 2021 Highlights
WBJEE 2021 exam will be held to enable candidates to get admission into professional courses like Engineering and Technology, Pharmacy, and Architecture across West Bengal.The table below gives an overview of the WBJEE exam pattern 2021 and other information related to the exam.
|Question type||Multiple Choice Question i.e. MCQs or Objective|
|Mode of the exam||Offline or Pen-paper based|
|Answering mode||Optical Mark Recognition i.e. OMR|
|Duration||2 hours for each paper [a total of 4 hours]|
|Number of papers||Paper-I: Mathematics|
|Paper-II: Physics and Chemistry|
|Number of questions||Mathematics: 75 questions|
|Physics: 40 questions|
|Chemistry: 40 questions|
|Marking scheme||Category-I: +1 -0.25|
|Category-II: +2 -0.5|
|Category-III: No negative marking|
WBJEE 2021 Exam Pattern
The authorities will mention the latest WBJEE exam pattern of the exam in the official notification. All the important details regarding the exam pattern like question type, medium and mode of the exam were present in the WBJEE official notification.
The WBJEE 2021 exam will comprise three sections which are Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics. The WBJEE question paper is of objective type i.e. candidates shall be asked multiple-choice question also referred to as MCQs. There are two papers in the WBJEE exam; Paper-I is of Mathematics subject whereas Paper-II is made up of Physics and Chemistry. Physics and Chemistry will have 40 questions each. There will be a total of 75 questions for Mathematics. The WBJEE exam is of 200 marks. Although there will be negative marking for the exam, the marking scheme differs for every category.
Along with the WBJEE exam pattern, students should always have a look at the WBJEE sample paper and WBJEE syllabus to have a better understanding of the exam. Let us now check out some of the Highlights of WBJEE Exam Pattern.
WBJEE 2021 Marking Scheme
The details about the WBJEE exam pattern and the marking scheme of the WBJEE 2021 exam are stated below in the table.
|Subject||Question Category 1||Question Category 2||Question Category 3||Total No of Questions||Total Marks|
|Biological Sciences||80x1 marks||25x2 marks||10x2 marks||115||150|
|Physics||30x1 marks||5x2 marks||5x2 marks||40||50|
|Chemistry||30x1 marks||5x2 marks||5x2 marks||40||50|
|Mathematics||50x1 marks||15x2 marks||10x2 marks||75||100|
The category-wise marking scheme for the WBJEE 2021 exam is explained below.
Question Category 1
- Right option yield 1 mark: Only one option is correct. The correct option will yield 1 (one) mark
- Wrong option yield Negative Marking: Incorrect option will yield -¼(negative ¼) marks.
- Combination of right and wrong: For any combination of more than one option, the said answer will be treated as incorrect and will yield -¼ (negative ¼) marks.
Question Category 2
- The correct option yields 2 marks: Only one option is correct. The correct option will yield 2 (two) marks.
- Negative marking: The incorrect option will yield -½ (negative ½) marks.
- Combination of answers: For any combination of more than one option, the said answer will be treated as incorrect and will yield -½ (negative ½) marks.
Question Category 3:
- Marking correct options: One or more options are correct. Marking all correct options only will yield 2 (two) marks.
- Combination of incorrect answers: For any combination of answers containing one or more incorrect options, the said answer will be treated as incorrect and it will yield zero (0) mark.
- Partially correct answers: For partially correct answers, i.e. when all correct options are not marked and also no incorrect options are marked, marks awarded = 2 X (no of correct options marked) / (total no of actually correct options).
Note: Candidate should take note that, the above-mentioned dates are tentative and they are therefore subject to change.
WBJEE 2021 Syllabus
Now you know what the WBJEE exam pattern looks like, let us now have a look at the WBJEE syllabus which is of equal importance. The syllabus is divided into three sections; Maths, Physics, Chemistry. Find the syllabus below.
WBJEE Syllabus for Mathematics
The main topics of mathematics in the WBJEE 2021 Syllabus are given below.
- Coordinate geometry of two dimensions
- Coordinate geometry of three dimensions
WBJEE Syllabus for Physics
The topics in the WBJEE Physics Syllabus 2021 are mentioned below.
- Physical World, Measurements, Units & dimensions
- Laws of motion
- The motion of the centre of mass, connected systems, Friction
- Bulk properties of matter
- Kinetic theory of gases
- Optics II (Wave Optics)
- Atomic Physics
- Nuclear Physics
WBJEE Syllabus for Chemistry
The main topics in the WBJEE Chemistry Syllabus are stated below.
- Atoms, Molecules and Chemical Arithmetic
- Atomic Structure
- Radioactivity and Nuclear Chemistry
- The Periodic Table and Chemical Families
- Chemical Bonding and Molecular Structure
- Coordination Compounds
For more information on the syllabus check the WBJEE Syllabus page.