The JEST Exam is a national level entrance examination conducted by the Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB) to issue admissions to various PhD and Integrated PhD. Courses. The conducting authority will decide the syllabus for the JEST 2021 Exam. The candidates are advised to go through the JEST Syllabus keenly before preparing for Exam. They will get an overview of the questions that can be asked in the exam and accordingly prepare for the exam regarding the syllabus.
The JEST Syllabus 2021 comprises Physics, Mathematics and Computer Science subjects. There will also be topics based on computational biology, and hence it would be classified for Biology. Candidates need to go through the syllabus carefully before preparing for the exam.
JEST 2021 Physics Syllabus
The JEST Syllabus for Physics comprises certain topics that are required to be covered. The topics for the JEST Syllabus for Physics are as follows.
- Optics and Electromagnetism
- Mathematical Methods
- Classical Mechanics
- Thermodynamics and Statistical Methods
- Quantum Mechanics
Candidates are required to go through the JEST Syllabus for Physics as elaborated and listed below.
JEST Syllabus for Mathematical Methods
The JEST Syllabus for Mathematical Methods is given as follows. Candidates can go through the same for reference.
- Elements of probability theory
- Curvilinear coordinate systems
- Vector algebra
- Vector calculus
- Linear algebra
- Elements of Sturm–Liouville theory
- Special functions, Complex analysis
- Fourier series
- Fourier transform
- Linear differential equations
- Laplace transforms
- Elementary properties of discrete groups
- Error analysis.
JEST Syllabus for Classical Mechanics
The JEST Syllabus for Classical Mechanics is given as follows. Candidates can go through the same for reference.
- Symmetry and conservation laws
- Newton’s laws
- Generalized coordinates
- Conservation of energy and momentum
- The principle of least action
- Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formulations of mechanics
- Small oscillations and normal modes
- Central force problem
- Kepler problem
- Special relativity in classical mechanics.
JEST Syllabus for Electromagnetism and Optics
The JEST Syllabus for Electromagnetism and Optics is given as follows. Candidates can go through the same for reference.
- Electrostatics and magnetostatics
- Multipole expansion
- Fields in conducting
- Boundary value problems
- Faraday’s law and time-varying fields
- Diamagnetic and paramagnetic media
- Displacement current
- Maxwell’s equations
- Energy and momentum of electromagnetic fields
- Reflection, refraction
- Propagation of plane electromagnetic waves
- Electromagnetic waves in dispersive and conducting media
JEST Syllabus for Quantum Mechanics
The JEST Syllabus for Quantum Mechanics is given as follows. Candidates can go through the same for reference.
- The variational principle
- Schrodinger equation
- The uncertainty principle
- Central potentials
- The hydrogen atom
- Orbital and spin angular moments
- The addition of angular moments
- Hermitian operators
- Matrix formulation of quantum theory
- Unitary transformations
- Time-independent perturbation theory
- Time-dependent perturbation theory.
JEST Syllabus for Thermodynamics & Statistical Physics
The JEST Syllabus for Thermodynamics and Statistical Physics is given as follows. Candidates can go through the same for reference.
- Elements of kinetic theory
- Work and heat
- Thermodynamic potentials
- Laws of thermodynamics
- Statistical ensembles
- Maxwell’s relations
- Partition function
- Harmonic oscillators
- Classical and quantum statistics
- Classical ideal gas
- Fermi and Bose gases
- Black body radiation
- Statistics of paramagnetism.
JEST Syllabus for Electronics
The JEST Syllabus for Electronics is given as follows. Candidates can go through the same for reference.
- Basics of semiconductor
- p-n junctions
- Active filters and oscillators
- LCR circuits
- Basics of OPAMPs and their applications
- Basics of digital electronics
JEST Syllabus for Mathematics
The JEST Syllabus for Mathematics mainly comprises the topics and syllabus from the books of Mathematics Bachelor's courses (BSc. Mathematics), and the certain topics will also be based on the syllabus of the Mathematics Major Courses (MSc. Mathematics).
Candidates can go through all the major topics in order to be thorough with the JEST Syllabus.
JEST Syllabus 2021 for Computer Science
The JEST Syllabus 2021 for Computer Science is based on the subject of Theoretical Computer Science and the candidates appearing for various courses ranging from MCA/M.Sc./M.Tech. and integrated PhD in the Computer Science domain. The JEST Syllabus for Computer Science (Theoretical Computer Science) is given below. Candidates can go through the same.
- Discrete Mathematics Elements
- Data Structures and its Applications
- Discrete Mathematical Structures and its applications
- Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools
- Computer Algorithms - Design and Structure
- Fundamentals of Data Structures
- Fundamentals of the Computer Algorithms
- Solving Problems with Computers
- Programming Languages, Concepts and Constructs
Note: The candidates are expected to go through the JEST Syllabus more than once, to prepare for the exam.
JEST 2021 Exam Pattern
The candidates are advised to go through the JEST 2021 Exam Pattern thoroughly prior to starting the preparation for the exam. Understanding the Exam Pattern along with the JEST Syllabus 2021 will help the candidates to prepare very well and score well in the exam. Candidates can visit the JEST 2021 Exam Pattern page for detailed information regarding the exam pattern and structure of the exam.
The exam takes place in 3 hours and is of 100 marks in total. The exam is divided into 3 separate parts and the details of the 3 parts are given below in the form of a table. Candidates can make a note of the same.
|Sections||No. of Questions per sections|
Candidates should be clear that they will lose 1 mark and 0 marks for each wrong answer in Part A and Part B, respectively. Every correct answer will result in 3 marks for both A and B sections.
In section C, on the other hand, candidates will be awarded 1 mark for each correct answer and 1/3 marks will be deducted for each wrong answer.
Best Books for JEST 2021
The following are the best reference books for the JEST 2021 Exams. Candidates can check out the list for preparation.
- HC Verma Concepts of Physics (Volume 1 and 2)
- Introduction to the theory of computation
- Electronics and Solid State Physics
- Special Relativity
- Elements of Quantum Mechanics