Are you aspiring to do a Ph.D./ Integrated Ph.D. Programme in Physics or Theoretical Computer Science or Neuroscience or Computational Biology, then you can take JEST (Joint Entrance Screening Test). Joint Entrance Screening Test (JEST) is conducted jointly by several premier institutes like IISc, IISERs, NISER, etc. It is conducted on February 16, 2020 by the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR).
Latest Update: JEST 2020 Results were announced on March 11, 2020. Candidates can view and download their scorecards for future references. See JEST 2020 Result page for more information and analysis on the JEST 2020 results.
- What is JEST?
- JEST 2020 Exam Date
- JEST 2020 Eligibility
- JEST 2020 Application Form
- JEST 2020 Application Process
- JEST 2020 Admit Card
- JEST 2020 Exam Pattern
- JEST 2020 Syllabus
- JEST 2020 Exam Centres
- JEST 2020 Result Released
What is JEST?
The Science & Engineering Research Board (SERB) recognizes JEST as a National Eligibility Test (NET). The fellows or students who are working or doing their research in SERB related programs will get enhanced fellowship. They must also qualify NET to be eligible for it.
- Level: JEST is Conducted at National Level.
- Frequency: This Examination is conducted once a year and it is the month of February.
- Exam Paper: JEST Question Paper consists of 3 parts, each part is of Multiple Choice Questions.
JEST 2020 Important Notification
The official website of JEST (Joint Entrance Screening Test) is jest.org.in. It will generally have all the important information related to JEST.
- The JEST 2020 will be conducted on February 16, 2020.
- The information about the admit card will be released on the website a few days before the exam. The official date is not yet announced.
JEST 2020 Highlights
|Exam Name||Joint Entrance Screening Test|
|Exam Level||National Level|
|Course Offered||Integrated MSc/MTech/PhD|
|Frequency||Once in a Year|
|Test Duration||180 minutes|
JEST 2020 Important Dates
- Application Date: The JEST 2020 applications opened on November 11, 2019. The last date to apply for JEST 2020 was December 21, 2019
- Admit Card: JEST 2020 Admit Card was released on January 17, 2020 on the official website.
- Exam Date: JEST 2020 exam was conducted on February 16, 2020
|JEST 2020 Application Form||November 11, 2019|
|Application Form Last Date||December 21, 2019|
|JEST 2020 Admit Card Date||January 17, 2020|
|JEST 2020 Exam Date||February 16, 2020|
|JEST 2020 Result Date||March 11, 2020 (Tentative)|
JEST 2020 Eligibility Criteria
Age: There is no age limit for the Candidate appearing for JEST. The Eligibility Criteria for different Integrated Program varies from one institute to the other.
|Ph.D. (Physics)||M.Sc. in Physics is the qualifying degree. Some institutions also accept B.E./B.Tech./M.Sc./M.E./ M.Tech in Applied Physics and Mathematics.|
|Ph.D. in Theoretical Computer Science at IMSc||M.Sc./M.E./M.Tech in Computer Science and related streams.|
|Ph.D. in Neuroscience at NBRC||M.Sc (Physics/Mathematics), B.E/B.Tech/MCA in Computer Science.|
|Ph.D. in Computational Biology at IMSc||M.Sc./M.E./M.Tech/MCA in any discipline or science with some mathematical skills and strong knowledge of biological problems.|
|Integrated M.Sc./ M.Tech-Ph.D (Physics)||B. Sc. (Physics/Mathematics). For NISER, B.Sc (Physics) or B.E./B.Tech in Engineering (Physics) with 60% and above.
For IIA, B.Sc. (Physics/Mathematics) /B.E./ B.Tech in Electrical/ Instrumentation/ Engineering Physics/Electronics and Communications/ Computer Science & Engineering/Optics and Photonics will also be considered.
IISER-Pune, ICTS-TIFR, NCRA-TIFR, and TIFR-TCIS, B.Sc. (Physics) will be considered.
|Integrated Ph.D. in Theoretical Computer Science at IMSc||B.Sc./B.E./B.Tech./M.C.A. in Computer Science or related discipline.|
|Integrated M.Tech-Ph.D. at IIA||M.Sc. (Physics/Applied Physics)/Post-B.Sc. (Hons.) in Optics and Optoelectronics/Radio Physics & Electronics.|
|Integrated Ph.D. at IISER, Thiruvananthapuram||B. Sc. (Physics) or B.E./B. Tech. in any discipline.|
Students can also visit the official website to know more about the eligibility of JEST.
JEST 2020 Application Form
- Registration: Candidates can register for JEST 2020 from November 11, 2019 to December 21, 2019 through the official website.
- Registration Fee: Candidates should pay the fixed registration amount during the application process.
- The registration fee for General Category is INR 400, and for SC/ST is INR 200.
- Registration fee is to be paid online through Debit Card/Credit Card/Net Banking and no other mode of fee payment will be accepted.
- Documents Upload: Candidates will have to upload the Scanned Copy of Photograph and Signature.
|Photograph||less than 100 Kb||Jpeg||100*125 Pixels to 240*300 Pixels|
|Signature||less than 100 Kb||Jpeg||100*125 Pixels to 50*30 Pixels|
For signature, candidates must use a Black ball pen. If the photograph on the admit card is not printed then you have to stick a passport size photo on the place.
Fee once paid will not be refunded again. If the candidate happens to pay the fee two times unknowingly, the refund is possible only if it is brought to the notice of the concerned authorities.
Even if the amount is refunded, the processing fee will be deducted and given to the candidate. It the amount did not reach the candidate's account it will automatically be refunded to the Payment Gateway provider if the provided is made known about this.
JEST 2020 Application Process
Registration: Candidates can visit the Official Website and can do Online Registration from November 11, 2019 up to December 21, 2019.
Candidates can follow this process,
- Step 1: Visit the Official Website and Register.
- Step 2: Now, login to the JEST 2020 home page by entering the registered mail id and password.
- Step 3: Now, upload your passport size photo and scanned signature with the mentioned sizes and format.
- Step 4: Verify all the details and pay the fee through online mode. Now submit the application and take a print out for your future reference.
After the payment, an official mail will be sent as an acknowledgment to the candidate. The aspirants can take a printout of the email or save it for future needs.
JEST 2020 Admit Card
- JEST admit card was made available on January 17, 2020. All eligible aspirants must download the hall ticket from the official website.
- The candidate should download the admit card and carry it to the examination centre without fail.
Steps to download JEST 2020 Admit Card
- Visit the official website.
- Now, search for the JEST 2020 Admit Card.
- Open the JEST 2020 Admit Card link, enter username and password.
- By entering the correct details, the admit card will be visible.
- Download it and take a printout.
- Check all the details in the Admit Card, if changes are required contact JEST authorities immediately.
Admit Card contains the Candidate details like Name, Roll Number, Father's Name, Signature, Photograph, Date of birth, Test centre address, Examination Date, Reporting time, Examination duration, Do’s & don’ts of the exam.
JEST 2020 Exam Pattern
- JEST 2020 exam paper will consist of 50 questions.
- All the questions are multiple-choice questions (MCQs) and the paper will be divided into three parts which contain different patterns.
- The total marks are 100. Based on the part the marks will be assigned.
|Section||No. of Questions|
Marks Based on the section
|Section||Marks for a correct answer (each)||Marks for an incorrect answer (each)|
|Part B||+3||no negative marks|
|Maximum marks||100 Marks|
JEST 2020 Syllabus
JEST 2020 Syllabus varies for different programs from institute to institute.
|Mathematical Methods||Elements of probability theory, curvilinear coordinate systems, Vector algebra, and vector calculus, tensors, linear algebra, elements of Sturm–Liouville theory, Special functions, Complex analysis, Fourier series, and Fourier transform, Linear differential equations, Laplace transforms, Elementary properties of discrete groups, error analysis.|
|Classical Mechanics||Symmetry and conservation laws, Newton’s laws, generalized coordinates, conservation of energy and momentum, collisions, the principle of least action, Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formulations of mechanics, Small oscillations and normal modes, central force problem, Kepler problem, special relativity in classical mechanics.|
|Electromagnetism & Optics||Polarization, Electrostatics and magnetostatics, multipole expansion, Fields in conducting, boundary value problems, dielectric, Faraday’s law and time-varying fields, diamagnetic and paramagnetic media, displacement current, Maxwell’s equations, energy and momentum of electromagnetic fields, reflection, refraction, Propagation of plane electromagnetic waves, Electromagnetic waves in dispersive and conducting media, diffraction, interference|
|Quantum Mechanics||The variational principle, Schrodinger equation, Uncertainty principle, central potentials, the hydrogen atom, Orbital and spin angular momenta, the addition of angular momenta, Hermitian operators, Matrix formulation of quantum theory, unitary transformations, time-independent perturbation theory, time-dependent perturbation theory.|
|Thermodynamics & Statistical Physics||Elements of kinetic theory, work and heat, thermodynamic potentials, Laws of thermodynamics, Statistical ensembles, Maxwell’s relations, partition function, harmonic oscillators, Classical and quantum statistics, classical ideal gas, Fermi and Bose gases, black body radiation, statistics of paramagnetism.|
|Electronics||Basics of semiconductor, p-n junctions, diodes, active filters and oscillators, transistors, LCR circuits, rectifiers, amplifiers, basics of OPAMPs and their applications, basics of digital electronics|
JEST 2020 Exam Centres
There are 34 exam centres for the JEST exam. The list is presented in the table below. Candidates can choose the most convenient test city while applying for the exam.
Students must carry the admit card to the exam centre without fail.
- For Kozhikode (If this centre has no sufficient applications then the Second option will be allotted).
- For Mangalore (If this centre has no sufficient applications then the Second option will be allotted).
MAP Representation of JEST Exam Centres
JEST 2020 Results
- JEST 2020 exam was conducted on February 16, 2020 and the results are expected to be announced in the month of March.
- Candidate can check the result in the Official Website from March 11, 2020 (tentative).
- Visit the JEST Official Website.
- Check for the JEST 2020 Results and click on it.
- Enter the application number and other details asked.
- The result will be displayed on the screen.
- Download the Marks Sheet and take the Print Out of the same for future reference.