A list of All IITs in India colleges in with NIRF 2020 Ranking. Details like Admission criteria, Course, Fee Structure, and Scholarship Schemes offered in All IITs in India discussed in this article.
The Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) in India are the most prestigious and top engineering institutions in the country. The very first IIT was set up in Kharagpur in 1951, followed by IIT Bombay, IIT Madras, IIT Kanpur, and IIT Delhi. As of 2021, there are a total of 23 IITs in India offering 11279 seats for UG Programmes. The seat intake for the most popular courses like BTech and M.Tech stands at 9,611 and 2,534 respectively. All IITs in India are linked to one another through the IIT Council, which oversees the overall administration. Every year, the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) of India releases the latest IIT rankings through the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF). In this article, we bring you the list of all IIT colleges in India with their official NIRF rankings 2020. Apart from ranking, the article helps establish grounds of Admission Process, Eligibility, Courses, Fee Structure of All IITs in India, and the Scholarship Schemes to choose from.
List of Topics
List of All IITs in India
There are a total of 23 IITs in India. Following are the list of IIT Colleges in India 2021 with NIRF ranking:
|Name of IIT College||Location (State)||NIRF Ranking 2020|
|Indian Institute of Technology, Madras||Tamil Nadu||1|
|Indian Institute of Technology Delhi||New Delhi||2|
|Indian Institute of Technology Bombay||Maharashtra||3|
|Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur||Uttar Pradesh||4|
|Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur||West Bengal||5|
|Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee||Uttarakhand||6|
|Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati||Assam||7|
|Indian Institute of Technology Hyderabad||Telangana||8|
|Indian Institute of Technology Indore||Madhya Pradesh||10|
|Indian Institute of Technology Banaras Hindu University Varanasi||Uttar Pradesh||11|
|Indian Institute of Technology Dhanbad||Jharkhand||12|
|Indian Institute of Technology Bhubaneswar||Odisha||22|
|Indian Institute of Technology Gandhinagar||Gujarat||24|
|Indian Institute of Technology Ropar||Punjab||25|
|Indian Institute of Technology Patna||Bihar||26|
|Indian Institute of Technology Mandi||Himachal Pradesh||31|
|Indian Institute of Technology Jodhpur||Rajasthan||53|
|Indian Institute of Technology Tirupati||Andhra Pradesh||not ranked|
|Indian Institute of Technology Bhilai||Chattisgarh||not ranked|
|Indian Institute of Technology Goa||Goa||not ranked|
|Indian Institute of Technology Jammu||Jammu and Kashmir||not ranked|
|Indian Institute of Technology Dharwad||Karnataka||not ranked|
|Indian Institute of Technology Palakkad||Kerala||not ranked|
All IITs in India Admission and Eligibility
To get admissions and secure a seat in any of the above-mentioned IIT in India candidates must pass their 10+2 class examination with mathematics, chemistry, and physics. The UG courses offered at IIT required candidates to appear for an entrance examination and score a good rank. This entrance exam takes place nationwide. The joint entrance exam popularly known as IIT-JEE is a science-related entrance examination that tests a candidate's knowledge in Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry. For the PG courses offered by IIT, the entrance exams are different. These include exams like GATE, CEED, JAM, and JMAT. For admissions to M.Tech programs, the interested candidates need to have qualified for the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) exam. Bachelor degree holders in Engineering and the final year of such programs will also be able to apply for GATE exams. For Ph.D. candidates, the admission is done based on a written exam conducted by the respective IIT institution and a round of interviews.
To be eligible for admissions at IIT institutions in India for B.Tech and Dual degree programs at IITs, candidates must have secured a minimum of 75% aggregate marks in the qualifying examination with subjects mentioned above. The admission to the above-mentioned IITs is based on two engineering entrance exams and rounds of the joint counseling process. Following are the steps to be followed for applicants interested in UG programs at All IITs in India:
- Step 1 - JEE Main: The Joint Entrance Examination is a national level entrance examination conducted by the NTA for admission into Engineering (B.E./B.Tech) and Architecture (B.Arch./B.Plan.) courses in India in the top CFTIs, like the IIITs, NITs, and SFIs, State Engineering Colleges of the participating states and other prestigious participating institutions.
- Step 2 - JEE Advanced: Also known as Indian Institutes of Technology-Joint Entrance Examination is an engineering entrance examination conducted across India for admission in the top institutes like IITs, NITs, IIITs, etc. JEE Advanced is one of the toughest exams to crack in India. The candidates who have cleared and completed the JEE Mains exam, are eligible to sit for the JEE Advanced entrance exam.
- Step 3 - Joint Seat Allocation Authority (JoSAA Counselling): After appearing for JEE Advanced and completing it, the next step is to appear for the JoSAA counseling process. During JoSAA counseling, all the IIT in India releases round-wise as well as category-wise cut-offs for taking admissions in B.Tech and Dual Degree programs. The JoSAA counseling refers to the joint seat allocation for admissions to 23 IITs, 23 IIITs, 31 NITs, and 23 Other-Government Funded Technical Institutes.
All IITs in India Courses Offered
All IITs in India are known to offer three-degree programs that attract thousands of students building a career in engineering. These courses are B.Tech, M.Tech, and Dual Degree (B.Tech-M.Tech). However, these prestigious institutions also offer other degree courses. Find below the table showing a list of courses offered at IITs in India.
|Undergraduate||B.Sc, Dual Degree B.Tech+M.Tech, Dual Degree B.Sc & M.Sc, B.Arch, B.Des|
|Postgraduate||M.Sc, Dual Degree M.Sc-Ph.D, M.Des, MBA, M.Phil|
All IITs in India offer B.Tech, M.Tech, Dual Degree and Ph.D. programs offer 100+ specializations. Computer Science Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and Electrical Engineering are the most popular specializations among students wanting to pursue a B.Tech course. Find below a list of specializations offered at IIT in India at both UG and PG levels:
- Computer Science Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Aeronautical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Electronics & Communication Engineering
- Automobile Engineering
- Aerospace Engineering
- Petroleum Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Electronics Engineering
- Marine Engineering
All IITs in India Fee Structure
Students who are planning to take admission in the top IITs in India 2021 can refer to the fee structure given below:
|IIT College||B.E/ B. Tech course Total Fees 2021|
|Indian Institute of Technology, Madras||5.31 L - 30.98 L|
|Indian Institute of Technology Delhi||8.47 L - 8.66 L|
|Indian Institute of Technology Bombay||8.55 L - 11.51 L|
|Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur||9.14 Lakh|
|Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur||8.38 L - 10.46 L|
|Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee||8.52 L - 13.8 L|
|Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati||8.63 L|
|Indian Institute of Technology Hyderabad||8.59 Lakh|
|Indian Institute of Technology Indore||9.15 Lakh|
|Indian Institute of Technology Banaras||8.62 Lakh|
|Indian Institute of Technology Dhanbad||4.82 Lakh|
|Indian Institute of Technology Bhubaneswar||8.52 Lakh|
|Indian Institute of Technology Gandhinagar||8.71 Lakh|
|Indian Institute of Technology Ropar||8.58 Lakh|
|Indian Institute of Technology Patna||6.98 Lakh|
|Indian Institute of Technology Mandi||8.33 Lakh|
|Indian Institute of Technology Jodhpur||9.34 Lakh|
All IITs in India Scholarships
The students looking for financial assistance to pursue their higher studies at IITs can apply for various scholarships. The list below is a few scholarship schemes to be availed of. Due to the revision of the fee, the reimbursement amount might change every year/semester. Students are requested to visit the website or contact the awarding body of the scholarships before applying for these schemes or scholarships to avail of the best offer. Many IIT institutions offer their own scholarship schemes and it differs according to the institution. The scholarship information can be available on each IIT institution's website.
- National Talent Search Scholarship (NTS): This scholarship is awarded to students for their 10+2 education and can be continued for their undergraduate education as well. To renew the NTS scholarship the students will have to submit the forms issued by the NCERT body to the academic section at the commencement of each academic year.
- National Scholarships (All States): This is a state scholarship that is awarded to students from their respective states. The applications for these scholarships are forwarded through IIT. These scholarships are renewed every year for which the students must submit their progress report at the beginning of the academic year.
- Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, GOI, Central Sector Scholarship for SC Students: These scholarships are awarded to the top 10 students based on their respective JEE exam ranks, taking into consideration that their parental income is below INR 2 lakhs per annum. The provisions in this scholarship include a one-time payment of INR 45,000, monthly expenses of INR 2,200 per month, and money rewarded for books and stationery INR 3,000 per month.
- Ministry of Tribal Affairs, GOI – Central Sector Scholarship for ST Students: This scholarship is awarded to the top 5 students based on their respective JEE ranks, with the condition that their parental income is less than INR 2 lakhs per annum. This scholarship offers along with the reimbursement of fees, monthly living expenses of INR 2,200 per month, and books and stationery expenses of INR 3,000 per annum.
- Ministry of Minority Affairs, GOI Merit-cum-Means Scholarship: This scholarship is specifically awarded to the students belonging from the minority communities namely Muslims, Christians, Sikhs, Buddhists, or Parsis with the condition that their family income does not exceed INR 2.5 lakhs per annum. The scholarship amount is sanctioned by the State Government, and about 30% of the scholarship is reserved for girls students. The scholarship includes Maintenance Expenses of INR 10,000 per annum for hostellers and INR 5,000 per month for day-scholars. A reimbursement of the course fee up to INR 20,000 or the actual fees, whichever is less.
- MHRD Scholarship for a Single Girl Child: The criterion for this scholarship is decided according to the Government of India norms, and payment of INR 40,000 per year is awarded.
- Aditya Birla Scholarship: The selection for this scholarship is made by the Aditya Birla Group and awarded to the top 20 students in the JEE exam rank. An amount of INR 60,000 per annum is provided, with an option to renew every year subject to the norms fixed by the Aditya Birla Group.
- Inspire Scholarship (Department of Science and Technology, GOI): Under this scholarship, the students who are admitted to the Dual Degree (B.S. & M.S) and for the 5 years Dual Degree (B.Tech & M.Tech) Programs are invited to apply and get rewarded an amount of INR 60,000 per annum per student.