IISc Bangalore has conducted the IIT JAM examination via computer-based test through online mode. As per the latest notification, Economics is the new subject added to the syllabus. Candidates must go through the IIT JAM Exam Pattern 2022 before starting the preparation for the same. The exam pattern will give an insight into the overview of the exam and its question types and distribution throughout the question paper. Therefore candidates will be able to prepare effectively and score higher in the exam.
IIT JAM 2022 Exam Pattern
The IIT JAM 2022 exam pattern is given below in tabular format. Candidates must go through all seven subjects with their paper codes before appearing for the exam. Aspirants should know the exam pattern to acquire knowledge related to the exam mode, duration, etc.
|Particulars||Exam Pattern Details|
|Exam Duration||3 hours|
|Type of IIT JAM Questions||Multiple Choice Questions, Numerical Answer Type, and Multiple Select Questions.|
|Subjects||Biotechnology (BL), Chemistry (CY), Geology (GG), Economics (EN), Mathematics (MA), Mathematical Statistics (MS), and Physics (PH).|
IIT JAM 2022 Subject-wise Exam Pattern
IIT JAM 2022 exam pattern comprises three sections discussed below in the table. Candidates must thoroughly read all seven test papers, and the exam duration is 3 hours. The medium for all test papers will be English only. There will be a total of 60 questions with a total of 100 marks.
The entire exam contains three sections, A, B, and C, and all are compulsory to attempt as per the IIT JAM Paper Pattern. Candidates must note that for all the seven subjects such as Economics, Mathematical Statistics, Geology, Biotechnology, Physics, Mathematics, and Chemistry, the exam pattern is similar.
|Question Pattern||1 Mark Question||2 Mark Question||Total Marks in each Section|
|Section-A (Multiple Choice Questions)||10||20||30|
|Section-B (Multiple Select Questions)||0||10||10|
|Section-C (Numerical Answer Type)||10||10||20|
IIT JAM Marking Scheme 2022
The IIT JAM marking scheme for each section included in the IIT JAM 2022 exam pattern is stated below in a tabular format. Candidates must check the total number of questions and marks allotted in each exam section to prepare well.
|Section||Number of Questions||Marks for Each Correct Response||IIT JAM Marks Distribution|
|A||10 MCQs||1 mark each||50|
|20 MCQs||2 marks each|
|B||10 MCQs||2 marks each||20|
|C||10 NAT Questions||1 mark each||30|
|10 NAT Questions||2 marks each|
|IIT JAM Total Marks||100|
IIT JAM Negative Marking 2022
The IIT JAM exam pattern 2022 carries negative marking for incorrect responses. Aspirants must check the section-wise IIT JAM negative marking scheme mentioned below:
- Section A: If candidates provide an incorrect response for questions with one mark, then there will be a deduction of 1/3 marks. For every two marks question, 2/3 marks will be deducted. No scores for unanswered questions will carry negative marking.
- Section B: There is no negative marking in this section, and there is no partial marking provision in this section.
- Section C: There is no negative marking in this section as well.
Instruction to be followed on the Exam Day
Candidates appearing for the IIT 2022 exam must follow various guidelines. Aspirants not following the instructions will not be permitted to enter the examination hall. Read the following instructions given below.
- The candidate needs to carry the Admit card of IIT JAM 2022 and valid ID proof to the exam centre.
- The candidate must not carry any digital calculator, mobile phone, or any other electronic device to the examination hall.
- There will be no partial marking in section B.
- If a candidate is involved in any malicious practices in IIT JAM 2022, it will lead to the cancellation and disqualification of the candidate. The candidate will not be allowed to appear in future JAM.
- Candidates will recieve a scribble pad for doing the rough work, and they must return it after the examination is over.
- The candidates have to select the answer for MCQ and MSQ type questions using the mouse. Candidates can enter the answer to NAT questions using a virtual numeric keypad (the keyboard of the computer will be disabled).
- Candidates will get the virtual online calculator for calculations