Is CAT exam tough? Yes, CAT is a moderately difficult exam due to factors like time constraints, vast syllabus, and high level of questions. However, candidates can ace the exam by preparing and following a routine.
Is CAT exam tough? The response is that the CAT exam is known to have a moderate difficulty level; however, it depends on the preparation level of each candidate. It is a national-level examination, and the number of candidates applying and appearing for CAT is relatively on the higher side of the scale.
The Common Admission Test, popularly known as CAT, is conducted by IIMs for admissions into various management courses. Cracking the CAT exam can ensure a seat in the top business schools and management colleges.
|CAT Exam Pattern 2023||CAT Syllabus 2023|
Table of Contents
- Is the CAT Exam Tough?
- Factors Influencing the Difficulty Level of CAT 2023
- CAT Exam Preparation Tips 2023
Is the CAT Exam Tough?
To answer this question, candidates need to understand the entire structure of the exam. Nevertheless, the CAT is among the toughest exams, and the competitive level is generally high. The exam areas include the question pattern, eligibility criteria, and the syllabus.
However, candidates can crack it with proper preparation and applied knowledge. So if you are wondering, "is CAT exam tough?" let us first understand the structure, marks distribution, and eligibility criteria of the CAT exam to get an answer.
|How to Prepare for CAT without Coaching?||How to Crack CAT Exam?|
CAT Exam Structure 2023
CAT exam is held annually in an online mode. The questions are in the form of MCQs and non-objective types. Moreover, there is negative marking for wrong answers. The questions are covered from namely three areas:
- Quantitative Aptitude (QA)
- Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC)
- Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (DILR)
The total time allotted for answering the questions is 120 minutes. Thus, 40 minutes can be devoted to each section of questions.
Quantitative Aptitude (QA) Topics
- General arithmetic
- Set Theory and Function
- Simple Interest and Compound Interest
|CAT Admit Card 2023||CAT Exam Centres 2023|
Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC) Topics
- Reading comprehension and answering
- Appropriate vocabulary usage
- Usage of grammar
- Phrases and idioms
- Correction of sentence
- Reverse analogies or analogies
- Completion of paragraph
- Judgment of facts and their interference
- Use appropriate words to fill in the blanks
Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (DILR) Topics
- Bar chart
- Pie chart
- Line chart
- Pie Chart
- Column Graphs
- Sense of direction
- Venn Diagrams
- Solving puzzles
- Decoding series
- Clocks and Calendars
- Solving data structures
- Figuring out blood relations
- Arrangements of numbers
|How to Prepare for CAT 2023 Exam in 3 Months?||CAT 2023 Preparation in 2 Months|
CAT Marks Distribution 2023
Learning the marks distribution is another contributing factor to proper preparation for the CAT exam. The table below represents the CAT exam sectional marks distribution:
|Quantitative Aptitude (QA)||26|
|Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC||26|
|Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (DILR)||24|
CAT Eligibility Criteria 2023
There are certain conditions that a candidate needs to satisfy to apply for the CAT exam. The conditions are as follows:
- A candidate from the unreserved category or erstwhile general category must have 50% marks in their graduation or equivalent.
- A candidate from the reserved category must have 45% marks in their graduation or equivalent.
- However, there is no age limit to apply for the CAT exam.
- Further, there are no additional boundaries in attempting the exam.
Read More: CAT Eligibility Criteria
Factors Influencing the Difficulty Level of CAT 2023
Now that you have understood the basic structure and topics involved in the CAT, let us move to answer the question, "is CAT exam tough?" Some factors amplify the level of difficulty of the CAT exam. The candidates who can overcome these binding factors will successfully crack the CAT exam. The factors are as follows:
- Level of Questions: The CAT exam has been on the tougher side over the years. Usually, the students who have just completed their bachelor's or are in their final year of their bachelor's apply for CAT. Therefore, they face quite a problem adapting to the study techniques and the methods to crack the exam. However, we have mentioned the comprehensive division of marks and the syllabus above. Candidates are advised to follow the same and prepare for the CAT exam.
- Time Constraint: Another factor that makes the CAT exam tough is the time limitation. There are 100 questions to be attempted in 180 minutes. The comprehension part and the arithmetic section consume quite some time. Hence, it becomes highly critical to complete the entire paper in a limited time.
- Question Uncertainty: There is always this lingering uncertainty of questions. The sections and the question pattern remain stagnant, but the questions' length varies. For example, for one year, the VARC is lengthy, while the QA is comparatively short. In contrast, next year it may be the opposite. Therefore, there is always this unpredictability.
- Elaborate Syllabus: Another contributing factor is elaborate syllabus patterns. The syllabus covers a vast range of topics. A candidate needs to clear the basics of each and every topic to appear for the exam. Each section needs definite attention and dedication.
- Unavoidable Pressure: CAT exam can open doors for career opportunities. Thus, each year lakhs of candidates appear for the exam and achieving a 100 percentile or even cracking the exam is not a cakewalk. Standing up to your own expectations is the real challenge. By now, you must have some clarity about "is the CAT exam tough?"
|How to Prepare for the Logical Reasoning in CAT 2023?||How to Improve Vocabulary for CAT Exam?|
CAT Exam Preparation Tip 2023
Is CAT exam tough? Well, the CAT exam preparation can be strenuous. To reduce the pressure and to help candidates achieve desired results, here are some of the tips to prepare for the CAT exam:
- Start the preparation by analyzing the syllabus critically and apprehending smart techniques.
- Next, create a solid timetable that will focus on the weak areas and have ample time to go through the already known sections.
- Afterwards, select the best books on the market, and the topper suggested ones.
- Furthermore, observe the evolution of questions from the ten years' question banks.
- Additionally, keep some time for revision and appear for mock tests. If possible, get admitted to a good CAT coaching centre in the locality.
|CAT Exam Day Guidelines 2023||Things and Documents to Carry at CAT Exam 2023|