|Conducted By||Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR)|
|Eligibility||MBBS and BDS graduates|
|Last Date of Application||January 9, 2021|
What is the STS Scholarship?
Prof. Balram Bhargav, Director General- Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) and Secretary- Department of Health Research accepts online STS scholarship forms from the interested MBBS and BDS students to participate in the Short Term Scholarship Program (STS- 2021). The main objective of the program is to familiarize undergraduate medical students with the research methodology and techniques by associating with their seniors in ongoing research programs for a short duration or by taking up independent projects.
Scholarship Quick Links:
The quick links for ease of access are given below:
- STS Scholarship Key Dates
- STS Scholarship Eligibility Criteria
- STS Scholarship Rewards and Benefits
- STS Scholarship Application Process
- STS Scholarship Selection Process
- STS Scholarship Important Points
- STS Scholarship Contact Details
STS Scholarship Key Dates:
The deadline for registration and submission of application is mentioned below:
Registration Start Date
10th December 2019
Registration End Date
9th January 2021
Application Form Submission Start Date
10th January 2021
Application Form Submission End Date
27th January 2021
Date of Result
Last Date to Submit Research Report
16th October 2021
STS Scholarship Eligibility Criteria:
The STS Scholarship is awarded to only MBBS/ BDS graduates. The other eligibility criteria to be met for applying for the STS scholarship are listed below:
- Only MBBS/ BDS students of Medical/ Dental colleges recognized by the MCI/ DCI are eligible to apply before appearing for their final exams.
- Interns/ PG students are not eligible to apply.
- All the candidates having OCI cards/ PIO cards/ NRI’s studying in an Indian Medical/ Dental college are eligible to apply provided they submit a copy of the OPI/ PIO/ NRI card along with the application.
- Paramedical/ Non-medical students cannot apply for the program.
- Indian students studying in recognized Medical/ Dental colleges can apply.
- Candidates studying in Foreign Medical/ Dental colleges cannot apply.
- The candidate should do the research in his/ her own college under a guide who is employed as a full-time faculty in the same college. Part-time faculty/ Visiting faculty/ PG students or Residents cannot be the guide for the candidates.
- Only one student should be working under one guide.
- Two or more students should not work on the same topic as research. Different students submitting the same research topic are rejected.
- One student should have only one guide and other co-guides. However, ICMR considers only the Main Guide for all purposes.
STS Scholarship Rewards and Benefits:
The main objective of the STS Program is to familiarize undergraduate Medical/ Dental students with the different aspects of Research work. The other benefits offered by the scholarship are given below:
- Around 1500 (1200- MBBS and 300- BDS) students can avail of the scholarship.
- The studentship amount of INR 10,000 per month is paid for 2 months (total INR 20,000).
- The studentship amount is considered to be the stipend for the research scholar.
- The studentship is paid only after completion of the research and approval of the final report.
- Research expenses have to be borne by the college/ institution where the research is done.
- A certificate will be posted to the Principals’ office/ College office within 6-8 months of the report result.
- The stipend and certificate will be awarded to the candidate only if his/ her STS report is approved.
STS Scholarship Application Process:
The STS scholarship application process is completely online. The step-wide application process is explained below:
Step 1- Registration Process:
- The applicant has to first register on the ICMR official website with a valid email ID, phone number, course details like student name, course, college name and address, and personal details like date of birth and residential address.
- The registration period is from 10th December 2019 to 9th January 2021.
- One student has to register only once. Multiple attempts to register will lead to disqualification.
- The applicant should write his/ her name in the ‘Sentence case’. ‘Mr/ Ms’ should not be prefixed with the name.
- If selected, the student will get a stipend and a certificate to his/ her name.
- Complete postal address of the college along with the phone number and email ID should be mentioned in the application form for further communication.
- Post successful registration, a registration ID and password will be generated automatically.
- This reference and email ID is required at a later stage in the project during report submission.
Step 2- Application Form Submission:
- Application form and Research proposal should be submitted online on the ICMR official website.
- The application form submission deadline is from 10th January 2021 to 27th January 2021.
- A completely filled and attested Application Attestation Form (AAF) should be submitted along with the application form.
- The Application Attestation Form (AAF) should be completely filled, signed, attested, scanned, and saved as a PDF document.
- One applicant can only submit one application form/ research proposal on any topic. If multiple proposals are submitted, then all proposals by the student get rejected.
The students need to visit the ICMR official website from time to time for any updates on the STS Scholarship status or instructions related to the STS program. The applicants who were unable to complete their STS project can re-apply for the next STS program as a fresh application.
STS Scholarship Selection Process:
- The results will be published by April 2021 and the selected students to undertake the STS research work will be displayed on the STS website.
- The selected students are then required to build the project work in any 2 months between April-September 2021 and should then submit the research report before the deadline on 16th October 2021.
- The students are granted a stipend and certificate only if the report is approved.
- The applicants who will be awarded the Research studentship will be decided by the technical evaluation of the research plan by the expert committee.
- The decision of the ICRM with regards to the selection of students is considered final.
- Appeal to reconsider the application will not be entertained.
- The reason for the refusal of the studentship application will not be provided to the students.
STS Scholarship Important Points:
- The guide must take the overall responsibility to conduct the research project, preparation, and submission of the report with necessary enclosures within the stipulated time period.
- The applicant should have the necessary permission from the Institutional Ethics Committee (IEC) if the program involves research on human participants.
- The applicant should have the necessary permission from the Institutional Animal Ethics Committee (IAEC) if the program involves the use of animals.
- The IEC/ IAEC permissions should be received before the start of the research work.
- On the students' STS report being approved, the stipend is paid through RTGS and the students’ single holder bank account. Joint account holders' bank accounts will not be accepted.
- The stipend is paid about 3 months (around May or June) after the report results are declared.
- Email ID: [email protected]
- Phone number: 26588895, 26589794, 26589336, 26588707