|Conducted By||North Eastern Council (NEC)|
|Eligibility||Permanent residents of North Eastern states who have cleared the class X or class XII board exams|
|Region||North East Region|
|Rewards||Up to INR 30,000|
|Last Date of Application||December 31, 2021|
The NEC scholarship full form is the North Eastern Council scholarship. It is initiated by the Directorate of Technical Education (DTE), Assam. The NEC scholarship provides financial assistance to economically backward students domiciled in the North-Eastern regions. The NEC scholarship will enable deserving students to pursue higher education in engineering and other professional courses that the North-Eastern Council approves. Those pursuing Diploma/ certificate courses, UG, PG, PhD and MPhil degrees are eligible for the NEC scholarship 2021. The candidates can study in or out of North Eastern regions in India. The NEC scholarship last date to submit applications is December 31st, 2021.
Table of Contents
- NEC Scholarship Key Dates
- NEC Scholarship Eligibility Criteria
- NEC Scholarship Rewards and Benefits
- NEC Scholarship Application Process
- NEC Scholarship Documents Required
- NEC Scholarship Selection Process
- NEC Scholarship Renewal Process
- NEC Scholarship Results
- NEC Scholarship Contact Details
NEC Scholarship Key Dates
The candidates should apply for the scholarship through the National Scholarship Portal (NSP). They should submit their applications within the NSP scholarship last date to avoid rejections. Tabulated below are the important dates for the NEC scholarship:
|NEC Scholarship Particulars||Dates|
|NEC Scholarship Application last date||December 31st, 2021|
|Defective verification date||January 15th, 2022|
|Institute verification date||January 15th, 2022|
NEC Scholarship Eligibility Criteria
The NEC scholarship is provided to financially challenged students domiciled in the North Eastern Region (NER). The candidates should fulfil all the requirements before applying for the scholarship. Therefore, listed below are the NEC scholarship eligibility criteria:
- The applicant should be a permanent resident of any of the states of the NER (North-Eastern Region).
- The candidates should be academically well qualified for the chosen course from any recognised university/institution.
- The general category applicants should have scored at least 70% marks in the last qualifying examination in the chosen course.
- SC/ ST category candidates should have scored at least 60% marks in the last qualifying examination in the chosen course.
- They should be pursuing diploma/ certificate courses, undergraduate, postgraduate degree, PhD or MPhil degree.
- This NEC scholarship details webpage provides the list of courses covered under different levels.
- The annual family income of the applicant should not exceed INR 4,50,000 from all sources.
- The candidate should not be employed and should not be getting financial assistance from any other sources while receiving the NEC scholarship amount.
NEC Scholarship Amount
The candidates pursuing different courses will receive different NEC scholarship amounts. They can track the NEC scholarship status for application and payment on the official portal. Tabulated below are the scholarship benefits available for students:
|Eligible Courses||NEC Scholarship Amount|
- The MPhil students will receive the NEC scholarship amount for one year and six months. However, the providers may extend it for up to 6 months.
- The PhD students will receive the book grants for three years and can be extended for one year based on the recommendation from the head of their institution.
How to Apply for NEC Scholarship?
The NEC scholarship online form is available online from October (tentative) every year. The candidates are required to fill and submit the application forms and documents by December 31st, 2021. Scroll down to learn how to apply for an NEC scholarship:
- Interested applicants should visit the National Scholarship Portal and click on the 'New Registration' tab.
- They should read all the guidelines carefully, select the undertaking, and click 'Continue' and fill in the NEC scholarship form.
- The candidate should select the state of domicile, scholarship category, scholarship scheme type, gender, name, date of birth, mobile number, and email ID.
- The applicant should provide the bank details such as Bank Name, IFSC code, and account number.
- The candidate should then select the Aadhar Number or Bank Account Number as an identification detail and click on the 'Register' button.
- The entered mobile number is verified, and the system will generate an OTP.
- The applicant should log in to the website using the OTP generated and fill in all the required details in the application form.
- An application ID and password are generated, which has to be used for future references.
- The candidate should verify all the details entered since they cannot make any changes after submitting the application form.
- The applicant should fill in and submit only one application form. The scholarship committee rejects multiple application submissions.
NEC Scholarship Documents Required
The candidates should upload the important documents while filling in the NEC scholarship online forms. In addition, they should ensure the documents are authenticated and uploaded in the prescribed format. Listed below are the documents required for the NEC scholarship application:
- Recommendation letter from the Head of the Institute
- Permanent residence certificate
- Undertaking by the candidate that no other scholarship is being availed
- Undertaking by the candidate to refund the scholarship amount in the case of submission of false information
- Attested copies of all the relevant certificates and mark sheets
- Recognition letter of the course and institution where the candidate is currently pursuing education
- PhD and MPhil candidates need to enclose a research synopsis.
- Income certificate and affidavit for any additional income source
- Attested copy of caste certificate
- Attested copy of domicile certificate
- Age proof such as a Birth certificate or Class 10 board certificate
- Residential proof such as PAN card/ voter ID/ aadhar card/ electricity bill
- Copy of the first page of the bank passbook
NEC Scholarship Selection Process
The DTE will select the candidates based on their merit. The state government of the respective North-Eastern region is responsible for selecting the candidates after publishing an advertisement. Listed below are the selection criteria for the NEC merit scholarship:
- NEC scholarship is a merit-based program.
- It considers the academic merit prescribed for each of the courses for the final selection of candidates.
- The candidates should follow the selection procedure displayed in Annexure 5 of the official NEC scholarship notification.
- The stipulated NEC scholarship amount is disbursed by the state government directly to the candidate's institute.
- The Directorate of Technical Education (DTE) begins scrutinising the scholarship applications by December (tentative) every year.
- The list of the shortlisted candidates is prepared by January (tentative) every year.
- After the final selection, the candidates will receive the sanctioned NEC scholarship amount.
- The NEC scholarship amount is disbursed to the selected candidates through ECS Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT).
NEC Scholarship Renewal Process
The scholars need to renew the scholarship every year. They will receive the NEC merit scholarship benefits for one year from April 1st of the current year to March 31st of the next academic year. The details of the NEC scholarship renewal is given below:
- The renewal candidates should get the NEC scholarship form from the respective state government, and they should fill it up in the prescribed format.
- The student should also get a recommendation letter from the head of the institute to renew the scholarship.
- The recommendation letter is obtained strictly based on the satisfactory progress of the scholar.
- The failure in the academic year results in the discontinuation of the stipend for the entire period.
- The future renewal of the NEC scholarship is recommended only from the date of clearance to the next higher class/ semester.
- The sanction order, along with the statement for renewal of the scholarship, should be submitted to the NEC.
The details of the NEC Scholarship Renewal Process
- The renewal candidates should visit the NEC scholarship official website to renew the application.
- They should log in to the website using the email ID and password and edit the old application form in the National Scholarship Portal (NSP).
- The PhD/ MPhil renewal candidates should enclose the latest progress report provided by the guide and attested by the Registrar.
- The students should then submit the renewal form for the NEC scholarship for higher education to the respective Head of the Institution for the recommendation.
- Finally, the Head of the Institution will recommend if the application is renewed for the next year or not.
NEC Scholarship Results
- All the applications received and the supporting documents will be scrutinized and shortlisted by December (tentative) every year.
- The results of the NCE scholarship is published on the official website of DTE, Assam, by January (tentative) every year.
- The candidates should check the final NEC scholarship merit list 2021 online to confirm their chances of receiving benefits.
- After declaring the scholarship results, the sanctioned amount is disbursed by the end of March (tentative).
The candidates can reach out to the helpdesk if they have any queries regarding the NEC scholarship. The contact details are as follows:
- Address: Director (HRD&E), North Eastern Council Secretariat, Shillong - 793003
- Helpline Number: 03642522674