Birla Institute of Technical Science Higher Degree (BITS HD) exam offers admission to M.E./M.Pharm./M.Phil. in several specializations in their three respective campuses: BITS Pilani, BITS Goa and BITS Hyderabad. Go through the tips and tricks given in the article below to crack the BITS HD Exam.
- What is BITS HD?
- Exam Date
- Application Form
- Exam Pattern
- Admit Card
- Exam Centres
- Selection Process
- How to prepare for BITS HD 2020?
- Coaching Centre
- Courses offered
- Contact Information
- Related Exams
What is BITS HD Exam?
The conducting institution is BITS Pilani. BITS Pilani was established in 1964, is a Deemed to be University and recognized as “Institute of Eminence” by MHRD. It was ranked 17th in the University category and 5th in the Pharmacy category by the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) 2018, released by Ministry of HRD, Govt of India.
Candidates should note that other than through BITS HD test, admissions to BITS Higher Degree programmes are also available based on GATE / GPAT scores. Through BITS HD candidates can seek admissions to 3 Higher education degrees viz. Master of Engineering(ME), Master of Philosophy (M.Phil.) and Master of Pharmacy (M.Pharm) in various streams.
Even though BITS has four campuses, in Pilani, Dubai, Goa and Hyderabad, BITS HD test is only for three of its campuses situated at Pilani, Goa, and Hyderabad.
BITS HD 2020 test is a National level entrance exam, and candidates from around the country can apply for the examination. The Exam is conducted once in a year, in online mode i.e. Computer-based test (CBT). The key pointers of BITS HD Exam are given below in the table.
|Exam Name||Birla Institute of Technology & Science Higher Degree Exam|
|Acronym||BITS HD Exam|
|Exam level||University Level|
|Conducted by||Birla Institute of Technology & Science, Pilani|
|Institution Type||Deemed to be University|
|Courses Offered||M.E., M.Pharm. and M.Phil.|
|BITS HD 2020 Application Fee||For BITS HD Test Candidates- INR 3150/-For GATE/GPAT Candidates- INR 1000/-|
|BITS HD 2020 Online Exam Date||May 15, 2020 & May 26, 2020|
|Official Website||BITS Pilani|
|Helpdesk||01596-242205, 0832-2580126, 040-66303830 email@example.com|
BITS Pilani will be launching two new programmes this year, available only at BITS Goa campus viz.
- M.E. Degree in Sanitation Science, Technology and Management,
- M.Phil. Degree in Liberal studies.
The notifications for BITS HD exam is generally released in the month of March. The Exam is conducted in the 3rd and 4th week of May. The BITS HD Important Dates are as follows :
|Availability of Application Form||18th March 2020|
|Last Date for submission of Application Form||30th April 2020|
|Availability of Hall Ticket for BITS HD 2020||9th May 2020|
|Date of BITS HD 2020 Examination||15th May 2020 and 26th May 2020|
|Declaration of BITS HD 2020 Results||3rd June 2020|
|Date of admission||29th July 2020|
|Registration for courses||1st Aug 2020|
This is a university level examination and only Indian citizens are eligible to apply. The other eligibility condition varies from one course to another:
Aggregate Percentage: Candidates must have minimum aggregate marks of 60% for M.E./M.Pharm and 55% for M.Phil. in their undergraduate degree, to be eligible to attend the BITS HD 2020 qualifying examination.
Age Limit: There is no upper age limit to apply for a higher education programme in BITS.
Minimum Qualification: An integrated first degree of BITS or its equivalent in the respective stream is a must to apply for BITS HD exam 2020.
|Nationality||Indian Nationals only|
|Education||Integrated first degree of BITS or Equivalent|
|Minimum Marks||For M.E./M.Pharm: 60% AggregateFor M.Phil.: 55% Aggregate|
|Age Limit||No Age Limit|
The test 1 syllabus is same for all the candidates but the test 2 syllabus depends upon the discipline that the candidate wants to pursue and the qualifying degree. The BITS HD 2020 Syllabus is divided into two.
The Test 1 of BITS HD 2020 deals with English language skills, Logical Reasoning, and Class 11 and 12 Mathematics.
Test 2 would concentrate on student’s knowledge of the basic subjects of his/her discipline like Engineering and Pharmacy. The topics will be from the qualifying degree of the candidate.
- Syllabus for Paper - I
- Error finding
- Blood relations
- Synonyms/ Antonyms
- Vocabulary building
- Time and distance
- Clock and Cisterns
- Probability and Statistics
- Linear Programming
- Articles and prepositions
- Idioms and Phrases
- Reading comprehension
- Expansion of an idea
- sentence sequence
- completion of the sentence
- Syllabus for Paper - II
- Civil Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Computer Science
- Software engineering (data on plans and utilization of PC)
- Organic Sciences (Study of living things)
- Financial matters
- Material science
- Syllabus for the Special paper subjects
- Programming in C
- Advanced Orientation and Software Engineering
- Propelled Programming in C
- Database Systems
- Center Systems
How to Apply for BITS HD Exam?
Candidates have to first go to the official website of BITS HD Exam. After that the candidate has to follow five simple steps:
- Step 1: Registration Process.
- Step 2: Filling the Application Form.
- Step 3: Upload Documents.
- Step 4: Pay Application Fee.
- Step 5: Print and Send filled form by Post.
BITS HD Application Form is available from March 18, 2020. The last date to submit the Application Form is April 30, 2020.
Candidates are required to fill the details regarding degree, test centre preference and personal information (Nationality, phone number, city, state etc.). They have to upload the scanned images of their recent photograph and signature. If the candidate is applying through GATE/GPAT route, then it is mandatory for them to upload a self-attested scanned copy of their GATE/GPAT scorecard.
Both online and offline methods are available for the candidates to pay the application fee for BITS HD 2020. The offline fee payment can be done by cash. The candidates have to first download pay- in- slip and deposit cash along with at any ICICI Bank branch. After fee payment, candidates can take confirmation receipt from the bank.
Application Fee: Candidates should pay INR 3150/- for the BITS HD application form and candidates seeking admission through GATE score have to pay INR 1000/-. Once paid application form fees will not be refunded.
|Application Availability||March 18, 2020 to April 30, 2020|
|Application Mode||To be filled Online then send filled printed form by post|
|Fee Payment Mode||Online via Credit Card, Debit Card or Internet Banking Offline via Cash|
How to fill the BITS HD Application Form?
Follow the steps given below to successfully fill the BITS HD Application Form -
- Firstly, the candidates have to submit their Name, Date of Birth, Gender and Email ID to register for the examination.
- Filling of Application Form: Next, the candidates have to provide their academic, personal and communication details. All information that is submitted by the candidate should be valid. Then the candidate has to select their preferred three exam centres. GATE qualified candidates had to provide the related details.
- Upload the documents mentioned below -
- Candidates need to upload the scanned copy of the following documents:
- Recent passport size photograph and signature in JPG/JPEG format.
- GATE/GPAT Scorecard if applicable.
- Application Fee Payment: The candidates have to pay the required application fee of BITS HD 2020 Admission Test. Payment of the fee can be done in both online (net banking/credit card/debit card) or offline mode (cash payment at any ICICI bank branches).
- The tuition fees and hostel fees are mentioned in the table given below -
BITS HD Admission Test 2020 Tuition Fees -
|S.No||Particulars||Amount (in Rs.)|
|1||Admission Fees||Rs. 28,050|
|2||First Semester||Rs. 1,13,300|
|3||Student’s Union Fee||Rs. 450 (per annum)|
|4||Student Aid Fund||Rs. 225 (per annum)|
|5||Institute Caution Deposit||Rs. 3000|
BITS HD Admission Test 2020 Hostel Fees -
|S.No||Fee Structure||BITS Pilani||BITS Goa||BITS Hyderabad|
The exam will be conducted in online mode i.e. Computer Based Test (CBT) on May 15, 2020 and May 26, 2020. The question paper will be objective in nature i.e. Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ). Every correct answer will be awarded 3 marks and every incorrect answer will lead to deduction of 1 mark.
There are mainly two tests for BITS HD 2020. Test-1 and Test-2, consisting of 30 and 70 questions respectively. Other than test 1 and 2, there will be 2 special tests, one for those applying for M.E. Software Systems and the other one is for M.E. Sanitation Science, Technology and Management. Test 1 and 2 are compulsory for all the students. Test 2 will test the student’s knowledge of the basic subjects of his/her discipline.
The first test will be 45 minutes long, while the second exam will go on for 105 minutes and the special test will be for 60 minutes.
|Type of Exam||Online i.e. Computer-Based Test (CBT)|
|Type of Questions||Objective/ Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)|
|Medium of Exam||English|
|Marking Scheme||+3 marks for Correct Answer-1 marks for Incorrect Answer|
The hall ticket will only be available online. There is no provision to send a copy of the admit card to the candidate's email ID or residential address.
Candidates can download BITS HD 2020 Admit Card from May 9, 2020, only if they have already booked test date and slot. It will be available on the official website at bitsadmission.com. The admit card will have all the details of the exam such as Exam centre address, exam timing, roll number, and photograph.
Photo ID proof along with the admit card is mandatory without which candidates will not be allowed to enter the examination hall. Admit card can be downloaded by entering the required login details on the website. Take 2 printouts of for future reference.
It is advised to all candidates to check all the details mentioned on the hall ticket carefully. Any discrepancies including the spelling mistake should be brought to the notice of the concerned authorities immediately.
How to Download BITS HD Admit card?
The admit card will only be available online. Following steps are to be undertaken for downloading the Admit card:
- Visit the BITS HD official website and click on the "Admit Card" link.
- Enter Registration Number, Date of Birth, and Password. Click on Submit button.
- Download and take a printout of the admit card for future reference.
All candidates can choose Exam centre as per their convenience. The exam is conducted in 50 BITSAT Centres across India and one International centre in Dubai, UAE. A candidate planning to appear for the test in India can prefer three exam centres in the order of his/her priority. Those planning to appear for the test in Dubai centre can only be able to set the preference for one centre only.
|S.No||Exam City||S.No||Exam City|
Documents required at the BITS HD Exam Centre
The candidate must carry the following documents to the exam centre otherwise he/she won't be allowed to enter the examination hall.
- Original Photo ID Proof (Aadhar Card, Driving Licence, Passport, Voter's ID/EPIC)
- Valid BITS HD Hall ticket/Admit card
- Recent Passport size photograph
- Blue/ Black ball point pen to do the rough work
The scorecard can be downloaded by entering the credentials such as Application ID/Email ID and password. The BITS HD 2020 Results results will be announced on June 3, 2020 (tentative) on the official website. There is no provision to send a copy of the result to the candidate's email ID or residential address.
Candidates should clear the minimum cut-off marks in order to take part in the counselling process. Based on the merit list candidates will be called for the counselling process. The request for re-totalling or revaluation will not be considered since utmost care will be taken to avoid errors in the evaluation, checking, scrutiny, and tabulation.
Validity: BITS HD 2020 merit list is valid only for 1 year, i.e. it is valid for granting admission Higher Degree Courses only for the academic year 2020.
How to Download BITS HD Result?
- Step 1: Visit the Official Website: Candidates must go to the official website at bitsadmission.com/hd
- Step 2: Result link: On the left side of the home page, candidates can find the "Results" link. Follow this link to go to the result login page.
- Step 3: Login Credentials Required: Candidates have to enter valid BITS HD 2020 application/registration number and password/Date of Birth before clicking on "Submit" Button.
- Step 4: Download and Print Result: The candidate must download the result and then have to take at least two printouts of the same for counselling and admission process.
Cut - Off
The cutoff is the minimum score that the candidate has to get in order to appear in the counselling. The cutoff varies year to year and different for the respective courses. It depends upon:
- Number of candidates who gave the exam
- The difficulty level of Paper
- Seat availability
The BITS HD cutoff will be released soon.
Previous Year Cut - Off
- Exam Pattern of BITS HD 2020 Test I -
|3||Medium of Language||English|
|4||Type of Questions||Objective Multiple Choice Questions|
|6||Marking Scheme||3 marks will be awarded for each correct answer. For every wrong response, 1 mark will be deducted|
- Exam Pattern of BITS HD 2020 Test II -
|2||Duration of Exam||105 Minutes|
|3||Types of Questions||Objective Multiple Choice Questions|
|4||Total Number of Questions||70 Questions|
|5||Other Information||The candidates will be tested on their grasp of basic subjects.|
- Special Test for Software Systems -
|1||Duration of Examination||60 Minutes|
|2||Types of Questions||Objective|
|3||Total Number of Questions||50 Questions|
The candidate has to first give the entrance examination which can be either BITS HD exam or GATE/GPAT. Based on the preference of candidate and cutoff decided by each institute, merit list/admission offer will be put out by Birla Institute of Technology and Science on its official website. Candidates will have to appear for counselling according to the dates given out and on the basis of their BITS HD result and admission offer.
The BITS HD 2020 Counselling Process will start from June 18, 2020 (tentative) and the qualified candidates must attend without fail, to get the seat confirmation. Successful candidates will get to choose the stream/campus based on their score/ranking. Cut off and merit list will be available on the official website.
Document Verification: Candidates should carry all the required necessary documents at the time of counselling for the purpose of document verification.
The Documents required in BITS HD Counselling are:
- Original and photocopy of ID proof such as Aadhar Card, PAN card, etc.
- Minimum 4 passport size photograph.
- Original and photocopy of BITS HD admit card.
- Original and photocopy of 10th, 12th marks card, and graduation certificate (for PG courses).
How to prepare for BITS HD?
BITS HD has a similar syllabus to GATE/GPAT. The pattern of BITS HD has more theoretical questions like IES and DRDO exam. Thus the candidate can solve these exam papers for their preparation as well as GATE/GPAT papers. Go through the tips given below to prepare yourself for the CUSAT CAT 2020 -
Candidates can refer any books for topics mentioned in the syllabus. A few suggestions are given below:
- Civil Engineering by Khurmi R.S. and Gupta J.K.
- Physics Engineering by Vikas Jain.
- Chemistry Engineering by Purnima Sharma.
- Chemistry Engineering by R K Gupta and other popular books.
The BITSAT Previous Year Papers help in understanding the pattern of the paper and then channelizing your plan according to the exam needs. Also, it helps in identifying areas that have more weightage with respect to others thus require more attention and practice.
Mock/Sample Test Papers
The BITSAT Mock/Sample test papers help in keeping up with the time constraint in the exam. As the candidate has to solve a large number of question in a short span of time, it helps the candidate in gaining speed and pin-pointing questions that consume more time, and make strategy accordingly.
Candidates appearing for BITSAT 2020 can refer to the steps given below to download the answer key is released by the official authority.
- To download the answer key of BITSAT 2020 candidates have to click on the link
- A window will open which consist of the answer key.
- Candidates can download the answer key from here.
How to calculate the probable score using BITSAT HD Answer Key 20120?
- According to the exam pattern of BITSAT, there is a total of 150 multiple choice questions. 3 marks will be allotted for every correct answer and 1 mark will be deducted for every incorrect response.
- Therefore, marks can be calculated using a simple formula given below:
Number of correct answers x 3 – Number of wrong answers x 1 = Score obtained in BITSAT 2020
- With the help of expected scores, candidates will get an idea about their chances of getting admission to the desired course.
Key points related to BITSAT 2020 Answer Key
- Though BITSAT authorities do not release the answer key, if the answer key is released it will be available in online mode for the candidates to check and calculate their expected score.
- The answer key will contain the correct answers to all the questions asked in BITSAT 2020.
- In case of discrepancy, candidates can raise the objection with documented proof within the given time frame.
- The final answer key will be released after considering the feedback, before the declaration of result.
The institutes for Admission into M.E are as follows:
- MADE EASY
- IES MASTER
- GATE FORUM
The institutes for Admission into M.Pharm are as follows:
- Ratiram Academy of Higher Education (RAHE)
- Pharma Sapience
- Score Tutorials
- Pauls Pharmacy Academy
BITS offers numerous courses in various discipline. These courses vary from one campus to another. There are 4 campuses of BITS situated at Pilani, Goa, Hyderabad and Dubai. The various courses offered at different campuses of BITS are listed below:
Programs offered at BITS Pilani Campus
|M.E Civil (with specialization in Infrastructure Engineering and Management)|
|M.E Civil (with specialization in Structural Engineering)|
|M.E Civil (with specialization in Transportation Engineering)|
|M.E Communication Engineering|
|M.E Computer Science|
|M.E Design Engineering|
|M.E Embedded Systems|
|M.E Manufacturing Systems Engineering|
|M.E Software Systems|
|M.Pharm with specialization in Pharmaceutical Chemistry|
|M.Pharm with specialization in Pharmaceutics|
Programs offered at BITS Hyderabad Campus
|M.E Civil (with specialization in Structural Engg.)|
|M.E. Civil (with specialization in Transportation Engineering)|
|M.E Communication Engineering|
|M.E Computer Science|
|M.E Design Engineering|
|M.E. Mechanical with specialization in Thermal Engineering|
|M.Pharm with specialization in Pharmaceutics|
Programs offered at BITS Goa Campus
|M.E Computer Science|
|M.E Design Engineering|
|M.E. Sanitation Science, Technology and Management|
|M.Phil. Liberal Studies|
- ID Proof: Candidates will have to produce an original ID proof with BITS HD 2020 Admit card for verification (For example, employee ID, driving license, passport, pan card, voter ID, Aadhar card or valid college ID).
- Mandatory Documents: Candidates appearing for BITS HD 2020 examination must carry the BITS HD 2020 Admit Card and original valid photo-identity proof to the exam centre.
- Legitimate Photograph & Signature: Candidates are advised to take a clearly legible, preferably colour printout of the admit card on an A4 size paper. The Admit card is valid only if the candidate's photograph and signature images are legitimate and are according to the instructions.
- Reporting Time: Candidates will be permitted to occupy their allotted seats 35 minutes before the scheduled start of the examination. Candidates can log in and start reading the necessary instructions 20 minutes before the start of the examination. Candidates must report at the examination venue 60 minutes before the scheduled commencement of the examination.
- Candidates shouldn't be late: No candidate will be allowed to enter the BITS HD 2020 examination hall 30 minutes after the commencement of the exam.
- Verification of Details: Candidates will be permitted to appear for the examination only after their BITS HD 2020 credentials are verified by the centre officials.
- Rough Work: Scribble pads will be provided to the candidates for rough work. A candidate is supposed to write BITS HD 2020 Registration number and his/her name on the scribble pad before he/she starts using it.
- Hardware Tampering: Candidates should not tamper the computer and related hardware provided in the examination hall. Candidates found tampering these willfully will have their candidature cancelled immediately. In addition, appropriate legal action will be initiated against such candidates.
Q. Do I have to apply in all the 3 campuses separately?
Ans. No, you're only required to apply one time only.
Q. Can I give the exam in offline mode?
Ans. No, the exam will only be conducted in online mode only.
Q. Is there any negative marking in the Exam?
Ans. Yes, 1 mark will be deducted for every wrong answer.
Q: If multiple payments are made for a single application, will it be refunded?
Ans. Yes. The extra amount paid to a single application form will be refunded. The candidate should provide bank details through the official website.
Q: Is the reservation system followed in BITS HD?
Ans. No. The reservation system is not followed in BITS HD.
- Address: Admissions Office, Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS), Vidya Vihar Campus, Pilani, Pincode - 333 031, Rajasthan, India.
- Website: bitsadmission.com
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org/
- Phone Number: 01596-242205 (Pilani Campus), 0832-2580126 (Goa Campus), 040-66303830 (Hyderabad Campus).
- Timings: 10.00 AM till 5.00 PM on all working days.