|Conducted By||University Grants Commission [UGC]|
|Eligibility||Single girl child in a family who is pursuing a full-time PhD degree in social sciences|
|Rewards||Up to INR 28,000|
|Last Date of Application||November 30, 2020|
The Swami Vivekananda Scholarship for Single Girl Child (SVSGC) was set up by the University Grants Commission keeping in mind the objective to promote women education in our society. Statistically, it was observed that the dropout ratio of girls in the education field was higher in comparison with the boys. The last date mentioned above is tentative and is subject to change at the provider's discretion.
The scholarship award ranges from INR 2000 to INR 28000. The government of India has devised various schemes to promote this initiative and has been providing special benefits for single girl child families.
New initiatives were brought out by various levels of government and various organizations to give girl child equality and dignity within the education society. This was done to decrease the difference in the dropout ratio. This scholarship comes under the banner of Swami Vivekananda Scholarship scheme.
Swami Vivekananda has been a constant supporter of women empowerment and based on his ideas of promoting girls’ education the scheme called Swami Vivekananda Fellowship for Single Girl Child for research in Social Sciences was set up in the behest motive of compensating the high cost of higher education.
Objectives of SVSGC
The forefront objectives of the scholarship scheme are:
- Supporting the Higher Education in Social Sciences for the Single Girl Child.
- Recognizing the observance vale of the nuclear family norm.
- Recognizing the importance of Single Girl Child in society.
- Propagating the concept of single girl child norms.
- To promote girl education in society.
The quick links for ease of access:
- SVSGC's Scope and Objectives
- Scholarship Eligibility Criteria
- Scholarship Details
- Rewards and Benefits
- Application Process
- Selection Process
- Cancellation Policy
- Contact Details
Scope of the Swami Vivekananda Scholarship for Single Girl Child [SVSGC]:
The scholarship is rendered out to the girl students who are pursuing a Ph.D. program in Colleges/ Universities/ Institutes in the field of Social Sciences. The applicant should be the only girl child in the family and she should not have any siblings. In the case of twin daughters/ fraternal daughter, they can also apply for the scholarship.
Eligibility Criteria for SVSGC:
There are specific conditions specified by the conducting authority that the candidates have to adhere to. The criteria are mentioned below:
- The scholarship is made available only to the applicant who is pursuing a Ph.D. in Social Sciences in Educational Institutions provided that she is the only girl child in the family. If the candidate has any siblings then the application is rejected.
- The applicant has to submit an affidavit of Rs.50 Stamp paper from parent/guardian as proof and must be attested by the Gazetted Officer [Minimum Tahsildar Level] as specified in the Annexure.
- The applicant has to be a registered student in a regular or full-time Ph.D. program in Social Sciences Indian Educational Institutions.
The criteria of the educational institution the person has to study to avail the scholarship scheme is mentioned below:
- The university or college has to be included under section 2(f) and 12(b) of UGC Act, 1956.
- The applicant has to be in a Deemed to be University under section 3 of the UGC Act of 1956.
- Central and State Government funded Educational Institutions.
- Institute of National Importance.
- The Distance education mode of Ph.D. is not supported under this scheme.
- Candidates who are in the transgender community are eligible for the scheme as per norms.
The eligibility criteria of various other scholarships in India can be viewed on the scholarship home page.
The number of scholarships distributed to the students depends on the number of eligible admissions received from the online application.
Tenure of Distribution:
- The scholarship is distributed for the entire course duration of five years.
- It is effective from the actual date of joining or the year of selection under the fellowship of the educational institution.
- The scholarship is available until the submission of Ph.D.
- No extension is available after the 5 year period.
The person availing the scholarship has to join the fellowship in 3 months from the date of issuance of Award letter, in the absence of which the scholarship will be canceled.
The research candidate has to submit the progress of her research every year signed by the Guide and Forwarded by the Head of the Department in addition to the Head of the Institution.
In the event where the progress of the research candidate is found not upto the standard, the award will be terminated.
In the event where the candidate leaves the course in the middle of tenure, the scholar has to submit the resignation, forwarded by the Educational Institution.
Transfer of Research Location:
The transfer of location is applicable only once during the tenure and the application has to be forwarded by the concerned educational institution.
SVSGC Rewards and Benefits:
The official website specifies the amount distributed per year during the scholarship and the same is tabulated below for a better experience for the candidate. There are two schemes in terms of scholarship for the applicants.
|Fellowship Scheme||25,000 INR monthly for First 2 years|
|28,000 INR monthly for Rest of Tenure|
|Contingency Scheme||10,000 INR yearly for First 2 years|
|20,500 INR yearly for Rest of Tenure|
|Escort Reader Assistance||2000 INR monthly for PWD candidates|
The study materials like books, journals, and apparatus bought during the period of contingency grant will be the property of the University after the tenure of SVSGC Scholarship is completed.
Human Resource Allowance:
- The institution provides accommodation for the students and HRA is not permissible for such candidates.
- In the event of not getting hostel accommodation, the host institution provides single accommodation to the candidate. The rent paid by the research candidate will be reimbursed subjected to the norms of the Government of India.
- In case of own arrangements for stay, the candidate is eligible to draw HRA as per city categorized by the Government of India.
Leave Policy during the Tenure:
- A maximum period of 30 days is provided including public holidays. The candidate is not entitled to any other vacations.
- Maternity leaves would be available during the tenure as per Government of India norms.
SVSGC Application Process:
The candidates can apply to Swami Vivekananda single girl child scholarship through the online mode. When the scholarship is open for applications, the UGC will advertise the information through the leading newspapers and employment news. The applications are open once a year. They will also publish a short notification on the official UGC website.
The candidates should duly fill the applications by following the instructions given on the UGC website. However, the committee will reject incomplete applications. The step-by-step application process is as follows:
- The candidates should click on the official university grants commisssion website.
- After reading the instructions, they should check the box available at the end of the page.
- The candidates should fill in the application form and upload the mandatory documents.
- They should cross-verify the details and submit the application form.
- The candidates will obtain a registration ID after filling in the personal information page. They can use the registration ID to generate a PDF file after successfully submitting the application form.
- For more details, the candidates can click on the link.
Swami Vivekananda Scholarship for Single Girl Child Selection Process:
The selection process for the scheme is mentioned below:
- The Expert Committee formed by the Commission recommends the award of the fellowship. The Commission decision is final. The results of the scholarship award will be published on the official UGC website. The letters of the award can be downloaded from the online application portal of UGC.
- The candidate would have to surrender any one of the scholarships if she is found to have been availing more than one scholarship at the same time.
- The Commission has complete authority to cancel/ withdraw the scholarship award without furnishing any reason.
Cancellation of SVSGC:
The terms and conditions of the cancellation policy are mentioned below:
- The termination of the scholarship will be initiated if the UGC committee due to the following reasons:
- In case the committee feels the candidate has not been upto the desired progress, the scholarship will be terminated.
- If the information provided by the applicant is found to be false, then the fellowship is canceled.
- In the event of any misconduct by the candidate during the tenure.
- The candidate was found to draw any other fellowship or scholarship during the same tenure.
SVSGC Contact Details:
- Mail ID: [email protected]
- Phone Number: 1800113355
Swami Vivekananda Single Girl Child Scholarship FAQs
How to apply for Swami Vivekananda Single Girl Child Scholarship?
Advertisement is floated in leading newspaper and employment news. Online Applications are invited.
Notification is also specified on the UGC website.
The candidate is advised to follow the instructions carefully specified on the online portal during the time of filling the application. In the failure of which, the application will be rejected.
What is the rewards associated with Swami Vivekananda Single Girl Child Scholarship?
The rewards will be from 2000 INR-28000 INR
What is the aim of Swami Vivekananda Single Girl Child Scholarship?
The Swami Vivekananda Scholarship for Single Girl Child (SVSGC) was set up by the University Grants Commission keeping in mind the objective to promote women education in our society. Statistically, it was observed that the dropout ratio of girls in the education field was higher in comparison with the boys.