|Conducted By||Ministry of Tribal Affairs, Government of India|
|Eligibility||ST candidates aspiring to pursue a postgraduate or PhD degree|
|Rewards||Up to USD 15,400|
|Last Date of Application||December 31, 2021|
The National Overseas Scholarship for ST Candidates has been developed by the Ministry of Tribal Affairs for the benefit of Scheduled Tribe students (ST). It was introduced in 1954 - 1955. The scholarship provides financial assistance to selected students for pursuing higher education abroad in certain subjects at the Masters level, and for Ph.D. and Post- Doctoral Research Programmes in the fields of Engineering, Technology, and Science. Since Independence, the Government of India has protected the rights and interests of socially backward groups and Scheduled Tribes through certain special provisions, acts, and schemes. The applications for the national overseas scholarship is open from November 22nd, 2021, to December 31st, 2021, until 5:00 PM.
One such scheme is the National Overseas Scholarship for ST students which is being provided by the government of India for the upliftment of the ST students, for encouraging them to study abroad and to improve the literacy rate of our country. The main objective of this scholarship is to provide financial assistance to meritorious students of the Scheduled Tribe and to protect and promote their interests.
There are 8 separate fields for which the National Overseas Scholarship is applicable. The educational fields along with the number of fixed slots for each field is mentioned below:
- Engineering - 7
- Management - 7
- Economic/ Finance - 7
- Pure Science - 3
- Applied Science- 3
- Agriculture - 5
- Medicine - 5
- Humanities - 5
- Social Science - 5
The scholarship is granted only up to the completion of the course or the following period (whichever is earlier) -
- Post Doctoral - 1 and ½ years
- Ph.D. - 4 years
- Master’s Degree - 3 years
National Overseas Scholarships for ST Candidates Quick Links:
- National Overseas Scholarships for ST Candidates Eligibility Criteria
- Rewards/ Benefits
- Application Process
- Selection Process
- Contact Details
National Overseas Scholarships for ST Candidates Eligibility Criteria:
- For Masters Degree: The candidate should have scored a minimum of 55% or an equivalent grade in a related Bachelor’s degree. 2 years of work experience in the concerned field is preferable.
- For Ph.D. Degree: The candidate should have scored a minimum of 55% or an equivalent grade in a related Master’s degree. 2 years of professional /research /teaching experience or M.Phil degree in the concerned field is preferable.
- For Post-Doctoral Degree: The candidate should have scored a minimum of 55% or an equivalent grade in a related Master’s degree and Ph.D. 5 years of professional /research /teaching experience in the concerned field is preferable.
- The annual income of the family should be less than 6 lakhs INR from all sources. A copy of the latest tax assessment should be enclosed with the application.
- The candidate should be below 35 years of age.
- Only one child of the same parents will be eligible for the scholarship.
- An individual can be awarded only once in his/ her lifetime. He/ she cannot be considered for the award for a second time.
- Candidates who are employed can directly apply to the Ministry through the online portal. However, the application is valid only if there is a recommendation and a NOC from the employer.
National Overseas Scholarship for ST Candidates Rewards:
- 20 scholars will be selected per year. 17 candidates from scheduled tribes and 3 candidates from Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups will be selected for the National Overseas scholarship.
- 30% of the rewards are reserved for girl students.
- The selected candidates will be awarded the complete tuition fees, visa and health insurance expenses and airfares as per the course and country chosen.
- An annual maintenance allowance of USD 15,400 for the US or GBP 9,900 for the UK is also made available. (For any other country, an equivalent to the US amount in local currency is contributed to the candidate)
- In addition, an Annual contingency and equipment allowance for books/essential apparatus/study tour/typing and binding of thesis, etc. are also provided. The amount given is USD 1,532 for the US and GBP 1,116 for the UK.
- The poll tax and visa fees are also provided to the candidate under this scheme.
- Expenses for incidental journeys which costs not more than USD 18.70 is acceptable.
- Local travel - Second or coach class railway fare, bus fares, the actual cost of crossing by ferry, airfare to nearest rail -cum -air station by the shortest route from residence to the place of study will be accepted.
National Overseas Scholarship for ST Candidates Application Process:
- The candidate can apply for the scholarship by visiting the website of the Ministry of Tribal Affairs and registering for the scholarship.
- After registering the candidate must login into his/ her account.
- The candidate must first assess their eligibility and suitability as per the conditions of the scheme and apply online within the last date for applying for the scholarship.
- The candidate must fill in the application form for the scholarship and submit it with all the required documents.
- Candidates will have to provide their Aadhar card number, mobile number, email id in the application form.
- Information like mark sheets of degrees/ diplomas/ certificates will be asked.
- If the candidate has received an offer letter from the foreign institute, then they must upload it before submitting the application for gaining the advantage of special preference over the other candidates.
National Overseas Scholarship for ST Candidates Selection Process:
- All the applications will be put before the Screening Committee for shortlisting the candidates based on the information provided and on the basis of merit.
- The candidates shortlisted should present themselves before the Selection Committee for a personal interview.
- Call letters for the shortlisted candidates will be put up on the Ministry’s website. The call letter is an invitation to a personal interview.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have already taken admission in a foreign university.
- In case of a tie between two or more selected candidates, the elder student as per the D.O.B mentioned in the application form will be given preference.
- The candidates having work experience will be given preference over the inexperienced ones.
Disbursement of the scholarship after review :
The Indian Embassy abroad shall see the behavior of the applicants and ensure that he/ she is not involved in any unlawful activities or business. This is done before releasing the scholarship to the candidate.
National Overseas Scholarship for ST Candidates Contact details:
- Address: Govt. of India, Ministry of Tribal Affairs Education Section, Under Secretary to the Govt. of India Shastri Bhawan, New Delhi - 110001
- Phone: 23386980, 011 23384023