|Conducted By||Department of School Education and Literacy|
|Eligibility||Students of class 9|
|Rewards||₹6000 per year|
|Last Date of Application||December 31, 2020|
The National Means-cum-Merit Scholarship is offering financial assistance to meritorious students of class 9 in State Government, Government-aided and local body schools. A scholarship amount of ₹500 per month will be disbursed to selected candidates. Also, the scholarship will be renewed till class 12 based on certain conditions.
The selection of scholars is made by conducting two State Level Examinations titled MAT (Mental Ability Test) and SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test). Students of class 9 and 10 can apply under the Pre-Matric Scholarship category and higher secondary students can apply under the Post-Matric Scholarship category.
The Means-cum-Merit Scholarship is a central sector scheme implemented by the Department of School Education and Literacy under the Government of India. Under the scheme around one lakh scholarship worth a yearly allowance of ₹6000 is given to each student.
Meritorious candidates with a maximum parental annual income of ₹1, 50,000 (1 lakh 50 thousand) can apply for the national Means-cum-Merit Scholarship before the application deadline of 15th October. Applications can be done through the National Scholarship Portal under the Electronics and Information Technology Ministry, Government of India.
- Eligibility Criteria
- Rewards and Benefits
- Application Process
- Selection Process
- Scholarship Renewal
- Important Dates
- Terms and Conditions
- Contact Details
National Means-cum-Merit Scholarship Eligibility Criteria:
The objective of the scholarship scheme is to encourage the continuous study of secondary candidates in order to arrest the drop out of meritorious students in class 8. The general conditions of eligibility to apply for the Means-cum-Merit Scholarships are as follows:
- The applicant must be studying in class 9 in a government or government recognized board.
- Students of Kendriya Vidyalayas (KVS) and Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalayas are not encouraged to apply.
- The scholarship is not applicable to students of Residential Schools run by the State Government Institutions.
- Students of Sainik schools and private schools are not eligible to apply.
- The overall annual family income must not exceed ₹1.50 lakh (1 lakh 50 thousand).
- Candidate must have secured at least 55 percent marks or equivalent grade in class 8.
- For SC/ST category there will be 5 percent relaxation in marks percentile.
- Under the Pre-Matric category, only two applications are allowed from one mobile.
- Only one application from one mobile is permissible for the Post-Matric category.
National Means-cum-Merit Scholarship Rewards and Benefits:
The scholarship scheme is completely funded by the Central Government and each year around one lakh scholarship is being disbursed to class 9 scholars. List of other benefits under the National Scheme are as follows:
- A total amount of ₹6000 per year is given to the scholars of class 9.
- ₹500 per month will be given to meritorious students subject to the actual annual scholarship amount.
- The State Bank of India will disburse the scholarship amount directly to the beneficiary's account through the PFMS (Public Financial Management System).
- ₹500 per month (₹6000 per annum) shall be given for scholarship renewal of class 10 to 12.
National Means-cum-Merit Scholarship Application Process:
Eligible students can apply online for the National Means-cum-Merit Scheme through the scholarship website. The step-by-step application process is given below:
- Visit the National Scholarship Portal website.
- Click on New Registration on the home page.
- Read and Agree to the terms and conditions and click on Continue.
- Enter the Scholarship details and personal details.
- Enter the Bank Details such as bank name, IFSC, account number, etc.
- Click on the Register button after giving Aadhar number/Bank account number as identification details.
- An OTP number will be generated once the mobile number gets verified.
- Log in with the OTP number and fill the form.
- Application ID and Password will be given for future reference.
Note: Candidates are advised to fill the form correctly. Hence no changes can be made once the application is submitted. Also, the Scholarship scheme does not encourage multiple applications as it will lead to the form cancellation.
National Means-cum-Merit Scholarship Selection Process:
A State Level Examination is being conducted for the selection of eligible scholars. Detailed information regarding the selection process and examination are given below:
- Each State/UTs will conduct their own test to select scholars. There will be two tests for the selection process.
- MAT - Mental Ability Test
- SAT - Scholastic Aptitude Test
- It is mandatory to pass both the MAT and SAT examinations with a minimum of 40 percent marks in each.
- 32 percent marks are the cut off for reserved category.
- There will be a last date provided by the scholarship administration for the application verification at the District and school level.
Note: In a week after the verification process, State Nodal officers will submit the list of beneficiaries on the National Scholarship Portal.
For the renewal of the scholarship it is not mandatory to opt the ‘Apply for Renewal’ procedure:
- For the scholarship renewal in class 10 and 12, it is mandatory to clear class 9 and 11 in the first attempt with a minimum of 55 percent marks.
- For SC/ST category 5 percent relaxation would be provided.
- For the renewal of scholarships at higher secondary class 10 students must secure at least 60 percent marks in the final examination.
- The relaxation would be 5 percent for SC/ST students.
Note: For the scholarship renewal of class 10, 11 and 12 students are requested to register on the National Scholarship Portal as New user and login to apply.
National Means-cum-Merit Scholarship Important Dates:
- Announcement date: 16th August 2020
- Closing date: 31st December 2020
- Last date for defect verification: 15th January 2021
- Last date for Institute verification: 15th January 2021
Terms and Conditions:
- Under the scheme, there will be scholarship quota for different States and Union Territories.
- There will be scholarship reservations subject to the State Government norms.
- Scholarship selections shall be made strictly through the State Level Examination.
- There will be 5 percent relaxation for SC/ST category for all marks percentile criteria.
- The National Means-cum-Merit Scholarship is completely funded by the Central Government.
- Email ID: [email protected]
- Phone Number: 0120 6619540