|Conducted By||Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation|
|Eligibility||Candidates pursuing a postgraduate/PhD degree at the University of Cambridge|
|Region||India and international students (except the UK)|
|Rewards||Covers the total cost of studies and provides additional benefits|
|Last Date of Application||January 6, 2022|
The Gates Cambridge Scholarships for International Students is offering 80 full-cost Scholarships to outstanding candidates from countries outside the UK for pursuing full-time courses at post-graduate and Ph.D. level with various benefits such as University composition fee, maintenance allowance, immigration health surcharge, etc. Depending on the courses, the last date of application is either December 2nd, 2021 or January 6th, 2022.
Scholars are selected from two rounds as in US round and International round with approximately 25 awards reserved to US students and remaining 55 Scholarships to the International students. The Gates Scholarship Scheme was implemented in the year 2000 by a donation of USD 210 million from Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to the University of Cambridge.
Scholarship Quick Links:
The quick links for the ease of access are given below:
- Eligibility Criteria
- Scholarship Values
- Application Process
- Application Materials
- Selection Process
- Ideal Candidate
- Important Dates
- Contact Details
Gates Cambridge Scholarships for International Students Eligibility Criteria:
An applicant should satisfy the following criteria in order to apply for the Gates Cambridge Scheme for International students:
- The applications are open to all nationals except students from the UK.
- The scholar must be pursuing full-time courses of Ph.D., M.Sc, M.Litt or one-year post-graduate courses with exceptions at Cambridge University.
- List of courses excluded from the Gates Cambridge Scholarships are.
|1||Any Undergraduate-BA (undergraduate) or BA affiliated (a second BA)|
|2||Master of Business (MBA)|
|3||Master of Finance (MFin)|
|5||MBBChir Clinical Studies|
|6||MD Doctor of Medicine degree (6 years, part-time)|
|7||Graduate Course in Medicine (A101)|
Gates Cambridge Scholarship Values:
For the highly meritorious students, the Gates Cambridge Scheme covers the full cost of studying, maintenance allowance, discretionary funding, and other rewards and benefits:
- The Scholarship Scheme disburses allowance at the appropriate level University composition fee.
- A maintenance allowance of £17,500 for 12 months will be given to each Scholar.
- Ph.D. Scholars can avail the maintenance allowance amount for upto 4 years.
- Inbound visa costs and immigration health surcharge costs.
- For both the beginning and end of the courses one economy single airfare will be sponsored to the Scholar.
- The Scholarship Scheme also considers applications for several types of funding on a discretionary basis.
- £500 upto £2,000 for academic development dependent on the length of the course.
- For a first child family allowance upto £10,120 will be granted and £4,320 for a second child. Also applicable for maternity or paternity funding.
- Candidates are allowed to apply for the fieldwork allowance.
- Hardship funding may release for unforeseen events or difficulties.
Note: For different students, University composition fee varies. Scholars are requested to check with the graduate studies prospectus for the amount details.
Application Process for Gates Cambridge Scholarship for International Students:
Candidates are requested to read the terms and conditions for using the applicant portal before start the application:
- Visit the course directory and find any course which is applicable and interesting for the student.
- Click on the Apply Now button in the How to Apply tab.
- Complete the application form in the English language.
- Submit all the requested supporting documents.
- An application charge of £65 per application will be deducted from the candidate unless he/ she is eligible for a fee waiver.
- For each course, a separate application is required with separate supporting documents.
Note: An application will not be considered as complete until all the references and supporting documents have been provided.
Gates Cambridge Scholarship Application Materials:
To apply for the Scholarship Scheme candidate must submit an application form for admission and funding:
- Gates Cambridge Statement- Applicants must write approximately 500 words description explaining why he/ she is applying for the Scholarship Scheme and how they meet the four main criteria.
- Ph.D. applicants are advised to submit their research proposals.
- Every applicant must submit a reference about their fit for the Scholarship.
- Referees are requested to write 4,000 characters into the on-line reference or upload a separate letter of reference.
Selection Process for Gates Cambridge Scholarship for International Students:
The three-stage process of selection of the Gates Cambridge Scholarships are as follows:
- Departmental Ranking:
- Academic departments in Cambridge ranks and nominate eligible applicants.
- Those who are selected by the departments considered the most academically excellent applicants of that year.
- The nominated list of applicants from the departments is divided into subject wise and send to Shortlisting committees.
- The committee is responsible for scrutinizing and reviewing the full application pack.
- Excellent candidates are shortlisted based on the Gates Cambridge criteria and invited for Interviews.
- Shortlisted students are called for Interviews to assess how they fulfill all the Gates Cambridge eligibility criteria. More details are served in the interview page of Gates Cambridge.
- There are four subject-based interview panel- Arts, Biological Sciences, Physical Sciences, Social Sciences.
The interview section consists of four sections.
- Welcome and Introduction.
- Gates Cambridge (What the candidate knows about the Scholarship).
- Academic and career plans.
- Final thoughts and queries.
Note: Applicants are requested to note that the trust will not be providing feedback to the candidates.
An Ideal Candidate of Gates Cambridge Scholarships Expectations:
The applicant is expected to have the following:
- Academic Excellence
- Candidate must demonstrate the reasons for the choice of a particular course.
- An ideal candidate must have a commitment to improving the lives of others. Applicants should provide evidence of the same from their past and define their plans for current and future commitments to the societies.
- Successful candidates should provide evidence of their capacity for leadership.
- Two by third of the Scholarships are reserved for Ph.D. Scholars and they should critically explain the plans to professional training or future academics.
Note: All the adequate information is served on the University of Cambridge website as well as the Gates Cambridge Scholarship portal.
Important Dates for 2021-22:
- Application beginning date for all categories (2021-22): September 2nd, 2021.
- Application deadline for 2021-22: December 2nd, 2021 or January 6th, 2022
|Departmental ranking||December – February|
|Notification of application outcome||March 4th, 2022|
|Online review and selection of candidates||March 2022|
|Scholarships offered||Late March 2022|
|Scholarships accepted||Within 72 hours from the date of offer|
- E-mail ID: [email protected]
- Phone Number: +44 (0) 1223 338467
- Address: Gates Cambridge, Ground Floor, The Warehouse, 33 Bridge Street, Cambridge, CB2 1UW, United Kingdom.