Confused about IIM Vs IIT? Get List of Colleges, Eligibility, Admission, Cutoff, Fee Structure, Courses Offered, and Placements.
IIM stands for Indian Institute of Management while IIT stands for Indian Institute of Technology. The major difference between the institutions is the fact that IIM teaches management skills from various angles such as finance, marketing, operations, human resources and information technology whereas IIT covers the technical engineering aspects and research on engineering and science.
The article furnishes the details such as what is the key difference between the institutions, the courses offered, the admission procedure, the eligibility criteria to get admission and finally the fee structure.
Table of Contents
- Key Difference
- Fee Structure
- Courses Offered
- Admission Procedure
- Eligibility Criteria
IIM vs IIT: Key Difference
The students have to know the key differences between IIM vs. IIT to understand what is the major hype about these two top institutions in the country.
|Full Form||Indian Institute of Management||Indian Institute of Technology|
|Number of Colleges||20||23|
|Major Courses||MBA, PhD||B.Tech, M.Tech|
|Entrance Exams Accepted||CAT, GMAT||JEE Main, JEE Advanced|
Indian Institute Managament
The Indian Institutes of Management are central government-owned-public business schools for management offering undergraduate, postgraduate, doctoral and executive programmes along with some additional courses in the field of business administration.
The management course involves the coordination of various departments in an organization (such as Human resources, Finance Department, Marketing, and Information Resources) to fulfil an organization's goals and operate the business efficiently. The institution has even started offering courses like Business Analytics, Executive Management, Leadership Programs, PGP, etc.
Indian Institute of Technology
The Indian Institutes of Technology are central government-owned public technical institutes located across India. They are under the ownership of the Ministry of Education, Government of India. It offers its flagship program B.Tech and M.Tech programs, in the field of technology.
An IT engineer obtains the most attractive compensation compared to other technical specialities. For those who are interested, IITs also offer Postgraduate and PhD programs.
IIM vs IIT: Fee Structure
The fee structure for IIM and IIT is mentioned for each location. The students can make a note of it to know whether they can afford to get an education in any one of these top institutions.
List of IIM Colleges and Fees
Below is the list of IIT colleges in India along with their fee structure is mentioned below in the table.
|1.||IIM Ahmedabad||INR 28,00,000|
|2.||IIM Bangalore||INR 23,50,000|
|3.||IIM Calcutta||INR 27,00,000|
|4.||IIM Lucknow||INR 19,50,000|
|5.||IIM Kozhikode||INR 17,50,000|
|6.||IIM Indore||INR 16,00,000|
|7.||IIM Tiruchirappalli||INR 14,50,000|
|8.||IIM Udaipur||INR 13,00,000|
|9.||IIM Raipur||INR 14,20,000|
|10.||IIM Ranchi||INR 15,50,000|
|11.||IIM Rohtak||INR 15,00,000|
|12.||IIM Shillong||INR 14,00,000|
|13.||IIM Kashipur||INR 7,00,000|
|14.||IIM Nagpur||INR 13,75,000|
|15.||IIM Amritsar||INR 10,50,000|
|16.||IIM Bodhgaya||INR 10,50,000|
|17.||IIM Sambalpur||INR 13,00,000|
|18.||IIM Sirmaur||INR 12,50,000|
|19.||IIM Jammu||INR 13,80,000|
|20.||IIM Vizag||INR 11,00,000|
List of IIT Colleges and Fees
Below is the list of IIT colleges in India along with their fee structure is mentioned below in the table.
|1.||IIT Madras||INR 8,00,000|
|2.||IIT Delhi||INR 8,50,000|
|3.||IIT Bombay||INR 9,50,000|
|4.||IIT Kanpur||INR 8,50,000|
|5.||IIT Kharagpur||INR 10,00,000|
|6.||IIT Roorkee||INR 7,00,000|
|7.||IIT Guwahati||INR 8,50,000|
|8.||IIT Hyderabad||INR 9,00,000|
|9.||IIT Indore||INR 10,00,000|
|10.||IIT (BHU)||INR 9,50,000|
|11.||IIT Dhanbad||INR 8,00,000|
|12.||IIT Bhuvneshwar||INR 10,00,000|
|13.||IIT Gandhinagar||INR 10,00,000|
|14.||IIT Ropar||INR 4,50,000|
|15.||IIT Patna||INR 8,20,000|
|16.||IIT Mandi||INR 8,50,000|
|17.||IIT Jodhpur||INR 9,50,000|
|18.||IIT Jammu||INR 9,50,000|
|19.||IIT Bhilai||INR 8,00,000|
|20.||IIT Goa||INR 9,00,000|
|21.||IIT Palakkad||INR 9,10,000|
|22.||IIT Tirupati||INR 9,50,000|
|23.||IIT Dharwad||INR 9,70,000|
IIM vs IIT: Courses Offered
The students have to know what courses are offered by each institution to get a world-class education in management studies and engineering.
The Master of Business Administration (MBA) program is offered at all 20 Indian Institute of Management (IIM) institutes. Following the passage of the IIM Bill in Parliament in 2018, the PGP offered by the IIMs was rebranded as an MBA degree program.
Over 2 lakh applicants apply yearly for full-time MBA programs, making them the IIMs' most sought-after programs. A variety of Executive MBA, One-Year Diploma, PhD, and Certificate programs are available at the IIMs in addition to PGP/MBA courses.
The IIMs provide more than 72 management courses at the Post Graduate, Executive, and Doctoral levels and numerous more certificate and part-time programs.
The Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) across India offer various undergraduate (UG), postgraduate (PG), and doctoral (Ph.D.) programs, mostly in the fields of science, engineering, and technology.
Over 250 Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) programs in various specializations are offered by 23 IITs in India. 9,611 and 2,534 seats are available for BTech and MTech programs at these IITs, respectively.
B.Tech, M.Tech, and Dual Degrees are the three degrees that IITs in India are most famous for offering (B.Tech-M.Tech). However, these prestigious institutions also provide various degree programs, including BSc, M.Arch, and B.Arch.
IIM vs IIT: Cutoff
The students can check out the cutoff given to IIM and IIT in this data given below and use it to prepare and crack the CAT exam accordingly.
Below is the CAT minimum cutoff list for students to compare and prepare.
|CAT Minimum Cutoff|
|IIM Kozhikode||85||85||97 to 98|
Below is the JEE Advanced minimum cutoff list for students to compare and prepare.
|IIT Names||Cutoff Links|
|IIT Kharagpur||IIT Kharagpur Cutoff|
|IIT Bombay||IIT Bombay Cutoff|
|IIT Madras||IIT Madras Cutoff|
|IIT Kanpur||IIT Kanpur Cutoff|
|IIT Delhi||IIT Delhi Cutoff|
|IIT Guwahati||IIT Guwahati Cutoff|
|IIT Roorkee||IIT Roorkee Cutoff|
|IIT Ropar||IIT Ropar Cutoff|
|IIT Bhubaneswar||IIT Bhubaneswar Cutoff|
|IIT Gandhinagar||IIT Gandhinagar Cutoff|
|IIT Hyderabad||IIT Hyderabad Cutoff|
|IIT Jodhpur||IIT Jodhpur Cutoff|
|IIT Patna||IIT Patna Cutoff|
|IIT Indore||IIT Indore Cutoff|
|IIT Mandi||IIT Mandi Cutoff|
|IIT (BHU) Varanasi||IIT (BHU) Varanasi Cutoff|
|IIT Palakkad||IIT Palakkad Cutoff|
|IIT Tirupati||IIT Tirupati Cutoff|
|IIT (ISM) Dhanbad||IIT (ISM) Dhanbad Cutoff|
|IIT Bhilai||IIT Bhilai Cutoff|
|IIT Dharwad||IIT Dharwad Cutoff|
|IIT Jammu||IIT Jammu Cutoff|
|IIT Goa||IIT Goa Cutoff|
IIM vs IIT: Admission Procedure
The aspiring IIMians and IITians can check for the admission procedure on both the top institutions in the country to get into them after meticulous preparations.
An established protocol governs the admission process to an IIM. For admission to IIMs, aspirant applicants must first register for the CAT exam. However, the steps are listed below:
- Shortlisting Candidates determined by CAT results: Candidates are contacted by the IIMs for admission once they have passed the CAT exam and have a valid CAT score. Each IIM will announce its admission requirements and cutoff via an official announcement posted on its website.
- Eligible candidates may move on to the admissions rounds after that.
- The GD-PI is called for candidates. Based on WAT: The candidate's CAT scores are thoroughly assessed at this level. Only those applicants who met the applied IIM's cutoff are summoned for group discussion and personal interviews.
- Final decision-making and calculation of composite score: In this final step, the composite scores are computed based on particular criteria, such as marks obtained in classes 10 and 12, graduation rates, performance in personal interviews, academic and gender diversity, and job experience.
Read More: IIM Admission
Aspiring IITians will have to know the admission process to get into their dream IIT to enhance their academic journey.
- A passing grade in the 10+2 system's final exam or its equivalent is the prerequisite for taking the JEE.
- The students will have to crack the Joint Entrance Examination-Main (JEE-Main) and Joint Entrance Examination-Advanced (JEE-Advanced), both administered on an All India basis in April and May by the CBSE to get into any IITs.
- The IITs admission team determine the admission to B.E, B.Tech, M.E or M.Tech programmes once a year in July.
IIM vs IIT: Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria for IIMs and IITs are mentioned in the content below for the students to know where they stand and how far they'll have to prepare to get into the institutions.
Below are the eligibility criteria mentioned for the candidates planning to appear for the courses offered in IIMs.
- The candidate's basic IIM eligibility criteria are graduation with a minimum of 50 per cent aggregate marks or equivalent CGPA (45 per cent for SC, ST, and PWD/DA categories).
- To be eligible for an IIM interview call, the candidates must meet the IIM shortlist/qualifying cut-off.
- To expect an interview call and participate in WAT/GD-PI, the candidates must meet the minimum IIM call cut-off.
- Candidates should have obtained the minimum cut-off set by each IIM in CAT.
Below are the eligibility criteria mentioned for the candidates planning to appear for the courses offered in IITs.
- Candidates should have completed Class 12th from a recognized board.
- Candidates must obtain at least 55% in Class 12th standard.
- Candidates should have studied Physics, Mathematics, and Chemistry in Class 12th.
- Candidates should have scored well and met the minimum cut-off set by each IIT in JEE Advanced.
IIM vs IIT: Placements
Career possibilities and progression at IIM and IIT are not comparable as the institutions focus on different degrees.
Placements in IIMs
- 2022 IIMA PGPX placements will see a 20% increase in the median salary.
- At IIMA PGPX, the average domestic salary will increase by 6% in 2022.
- 35% of IIMA PGPX 2022 students were engaged by consulting companies.
- In 2022, IIM Ahmedabad's Executive MBA students earned five international offers.
- In the IIMA PGPX placements 2022, the online services sector hired 20% of IIM Ahmedabad's Executive MBA graduates.
Read More: IIM Placements
Placements in IITs
- There is a total of 1723 offers made by the companies including PPOs.
- The highest CTC offered is 2.4 Cr, this is the highest CTC ever offered in any IITs.
- The top recruiter for 2022 are EXL, OLA and Tiger Analytics. And following them, there were 42 offers from foreign companies.
- The packages for Computer Science(CS), Electronics and Electrical Communication (ECE) and Electrical (EE) was quite high compared to other specializations.
POST YOUR COMMENT