About Anna University
Anna University was established on 4th September 1978 as a unitary type of University. It offers higher education in Engineering, Technology and allied Sciences relevant to the current and projected needs of the society. Besides promoting research and disseminating knowledge gained therefrom, it fosters cooperation between the academic and industrial communities.The University was formed by bringing together and integrating two well-known technical institutions in the city of Madras.
Situated in the southern part of the city of Madras (Chennai), the University's main campus extends over 100 hectares abutting the Adyar River on the north and Raj Bhavan on the south. The Madras Institute of Technology at Chrompet constitutes the second campus of the University which extends over 20 hectares. Both the campuses have a variety of buildings serving the various needs of the University community.
A third campus extending over 80 hectares is located at Taramani near the Instronic campus, Adyar. The Bioprocess Laboratory donated by SPIC is located at present in this campus and a few more centres of advanced studies, like National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Sugar Research Institute, Mechatronics Institute, Entrepreneurship Development Park, and Convention Centre will also be housed there in future.
Since December 2001, it has become a large, highly renowned Affiliated University, having brought into its fold about 426 Self-financing Engineering Colleges six Government Colleges and three Government-aided Engineering colleges located in various parts of Tamilnadu State.
- The Anna University, which is of the affiliated type is a member of the Association of Indian Universities, the Association of Commonwealth Universities and Partner of UNESCO International Center for Engineering Education (UICEE).
- UGC have accredited Anna University with Five Star Status in 2002 which is the highest rating. With proven capabilities both in academic and research areas, Anna University was able to receive this honour for a period of five years for excellence in Technical Education.
Anna University has rich experience in handling international cooperation projects. The University offers Under Graduate, Masters, PhD and M.S (By Research) programs. In recent years, Anna University has hosted students from European countries such as
- Netherlands, etc.
Similarly, about 45 students from Anna University have been to European partner institutions under Erasmus Mundus program to do their semester, full master and doctoral research abroad. The credits earned by the students have been accepted and printed in the grade sheets to get their degree within the stipulated period.
- Anna University recognises the subjects the OUT-GOING exchange students are likely to study in the host University before the students leave the home University.
- On completion of the semester/ duration, the acquired credits are transferred to the home University that facilitates to prepare the mark statement and award degree from the home University.
- The International office of Anna University supports them with all possible assistance to enable a smooth transition.
Application Eligibility criteria
- Candidate must have passed/appeared for the Qualifying Degree Examination and secured the prescribed Minimum Marks in the Subject(s)/course(s)concerned as mentioned in the Brochure.
- Candidate must have qualified at the common Entrance Test conducted by the University in the Academic year for which admission is sought. For administrative reasons, the University may conduct the entrance test before the publication of the results of the qualifying degree examination concerned. But qualifying at the Entrance Test alone does not confer a right of admission into a course. In addition to being qualified at the common Entrance Test, a candidate will be eligible for admission only if he/she passes the qualifying degree examination before the commencement of counselling for admission and secures the prescribed minimum marks in the subject(s)/course(s) concerned. He/She must submit the necessary documents at the time of counselling.
How to apply
The applicants seeking admission can follow these simple steps:
- The applicants seeking admission can apply by filling the online application form available on the website
- The applicants seeking admission can register themselves to the Under Graduation courses by submitting the registration fee The applicants seeking admission can pay the registration fees through Credit Card or Debit Card or Net Banking.
- The applicants seeking admission are advised to take the printout of filled-in online application form.
- The applicants seeking admission must upload the following documents along with the filled in application form
Departments within Anna University:
Faculty of Civil Engineering
- Centre for Disaster Mitigation and Management
- Centre for Environmental Studies
- Centre for Water Resources
- Department of Agricultural Engineering
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Department of Geoinformatics Engineering
- Division of Soil Mechanics and Foundation Management
- Division of Transportation Engineering
- Institute of Ocean Management
- Institute of Remote Sensing
- Structural Engineering Division
Faculty of Mechanical Engineering
- Department of Industrial Engineering
- Department of Manufacturing Engineering
- Department of Material Science and Engineering
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Department of Mining Engineering
- Department of Printing Technology
- Institute of Energy Studies
- Manufacturing System Management
Faculty of Electrical Engineering
- Department of Electrical-Electronics Engineering
Faculty of Information and Communication
- Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Department of Computer Science and Engineering
- Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Department of Information Science and Technology
- Ramanujan Computing Centre
Faculty of Management Science
- Department of Management Studies
Faculty of Science and Humanities
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of English
- Department of Geology
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Media Sciences
- Department of Medical Physics
- Department of Physics
- Faculty of Technology
- Faculty of Information and Communication Engineering
- Faculty of Civil Engineering
- Faculty of Management Sciences
- Faculty of Mechanical EngineeringFaculty of Science and Humanities
- Faculty of Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Faculty of Architecture and Planning
- Address: Anna University, Sardar Patel Road, Old Highways Building, Guindy, Chennai - 600 025
- Telephone Number: 044-22357264/22357265
- Fax Number: 044-22301134 / 22350291