|Conducted By||The University of Oxford|
|Eligibility||Postgraduate Scholarships for meritorious students|
|Rewards||annual stipend of £15,141|
|Last Date of Application||July 30, 2021|
The Rhodes Scholarship Summary:
The Rhodes Scholarship is the oldest and one of the most prestigious Scholarships offered and its first award was given away in 1902. Talented students across the world who want to pursue Postgraduate studies at the University of Oxford can apply for The Rhodes Scholarship. The Scholarship was established because of the vision of Cecil John Rhodes to select outstanding young people, with the potential to lead, who will make an impact for good in the world in later life. It has the pride of being a 100-year old Scholarship and ranked 1st in the Times Higher Education rankings across the world in 2017 and 2018.
Rhodes Scholars are people who have a vision of how the world could be better and the vision to make a difference in their circle of interest. Rhodes alumni have distinguished themselves in every field and the ways in which Scholars are standing up for the world. The Rhodes Scholarship offers first and second-year retreats, workshops, and conferences, in addition to social and discussion events, hosted at Rhodes House. The Rhodes Scholars get an opportunity to enter a life-long fellowship with ongoing opportunities to connect with current and Senior Scholars.
Courses offered at the University of Oxford under the Scholarship scheme are:
- B.A. with Senior Status
- One-year Master’s course (M.Sc., M.St., BCL)
- Two-year M.Phil. or B.Phil.
- Two-year MSc by research or M.Litt.
- Three-year D.Phil.
The Rhodes Scholarship Quick Links:
- The Rhodes Scholarship Eligibility Criteria
- Rewards/ Benefits
- Application Process
- Selection Process
- Contact Details
The Rhodes Scholarship Eligibility Criteria:
The four criteria which should be possessed by Rhodes Scholars and act as the guiding criteria for the selection of Rhodes Scholars:
- Literary and scholastic attainments (academic excellence).
- Energy to use one's talents to the full (In areas such as sports, music, debate, dance, theatre, and artistic pursuits, particularly where teamwork is involved).
- Truth, courage, devotion to duty, sympathy for and protection of the weak, kindliness, unselfishness and fellowship.
- The moral force of character and instincts to lead, and to take an interest in one's fellow beings.
- The candidate should be aged between 19 and 25 years.
- The candidate should be a resident of the nationalities included holding a valid passport.
- The candidate should have completed an Undergraduate degree with First-class.
The Rhodes Scholarship Rewards:
Student can get the following benefits or rewards under The Rhodes Scholarship
- The Scholarship is offered for a span of 2 years.
- Covers University Annual Fees.
- An annual stipend of £15,141 (£1,260 per month).
- Two economy class flights to and from the UK, for the beginning and end of studies in Oxford.
- Allowance of up to £225 to settle upon arrival in the UK.
- International Health Surcharge, which enables international students to access the UK's National Health Service, is covered for the duration of a Scholar's tenure.
The Rhodes Scholarship Application Process:
The candidate can apply Online at http://www.rhodeshouse.ox.ac.uk in the scholarships tab along with the supporting documents.
Documents to the attached along with Application Form:
- Birth certificate
- A copy of a valid passport, confirming the citizenship criteria.
- An official transcript from the college or university at which the candidate is studying, or have studied, showing grades achieved.
- A full curriculum vitae which should include details about academic qualifications, prizes, scholarships, positions of leadership, employment positions, involvement in student, voluntary, community or political activities and any cultural, musical or sporting accomplishments. This should not exceed two A4 (12pt) pages in length. Do not include a photograph in your CV.
- A head-and-shoulders color photograph (jpg format).
- A personal statement of not more than 1,000 words.
- A list of six referees who are willing to submit references on your behalf.
- All Applications should be submitted online.
- No alternate method of application is accepted.
- There is no application fee for submission of the Rhodes Scholarship application form.
The Rhodes Scholarship Selection Process:
- Selection for the Rhodes Scholarship is made without regard to financial means and based on Equal Opportunity.
- Applicants who are longlisted are invited to attend a preliminary, personal interview at regional centers.
- Further shortlisted candidates will be invited to a social reception (e.g. a lunch or dinner reception) and an interview. No candidate will be selected without an interview. All applicants will be emailed with the outcome of their application.
- The Rhodes Scholarship is confirmed only upon successful admission to the University of Oxford.
- If the Selection Committee does not find a sufficiently qualified candidate they will not make a selection. The decision of the Selection Committee is final.
The Rhodes Scholarship Contact Details:
- Address: Rhodes House, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3RG, United Kingdom
- E-mail: [email protected]
- Website: http://www.rhodeshouse.ox.ac.uk