|Conducted By||Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India|
|Eligibility||Graduate students or higher|
|Rewards||Maintenance allowance, Contingency allowance, etc.|
|Last Date of Application||January 31, 2021|
What is the National Overseas Scholarship?
The National Overseas Scholarship Scheme is an initiative of the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment which provides financial aid to support the overseas higher education of economically weak students belonging to the Scheduled Caste (SC), Denotified Nomadic & Semi-Nomadic Tribe, Landless Agricultural Labourer, and Traditional Artisan category. The scholarship is provided to the students to pursue a Master’s degree or a Ph.D. degree at an overseas university/ institution. The application opens in the first week of January 2021. The online application is available for 30 days as per the notification of the NOS Authority.
Scholarship Quick Links:
The quick links for ease of access are given below:
- National Overseas Scholarship Eligibility Criteria
- National Overseas Scholarship Rewards and Benefits
- National Overseas Scholarship Application Process
- National Overseas Scholarship Documents Required
- National Overseas Scholarship Selection Criteria
- National Overseas Scholarship Status Check
- National Overseas Scholarship Terms and Conditions
- National Overseas Scholarship Contact Details
National Overseas Scholarship Eligibility Criteria:
The scholarship is provided to economically backward students to pursue overseas education. The other required National Overseas Scholarship Criteria are listed below:
- The candidates willing to pursue a Ph.D. degree should have scored at least 55% marks or equivalent grade in the relevant Master’s degree.
- The candidates willing to pursue a Master’s degree should have scored at least 55% marks or equivalent grade in the relevant Bachelor’s degree.
- The applicant should be less than 35 years of age as on 1st April 2020.
- The students should belong to Scheduled Caste (SC)/Denotified Nomadic Tribe/ Semi-Nomadic Tribe/ Landless Agricultural Labourer/ Traditional Artisan category.
- The annual family income of the applicant should not exceed INR 6,00,000 from all sources.
- Preference is given to experienced candidates who are on lien with their existing post and current employer.
National Overseas Scholarship Rewards and Benefits:
The scholarship provides financial aid to the deserving candidates to pursue a Master’s/Ph.D. degree at an overseas university at USA/ UK. The other benefits offered by the National Overseas Scholarship are given below:
- Candidates pursuing education in the USA receive a maintenance allowance of USD 15,400 per annum and a Contingency allowance of USD 1,500 per annum for all levels of courses.
- Candidates pursuing education in the UK receive a maintenance allowance of GBP 9,900 per annum and a Contingency allowance of GBP 1,100 per annum.
- All selected candidates are also provided with Incidental journey allowance, Poll tax, Visa fee, Fees and Medical insurance premium, and Air passage allowance.
- Incidental journey allowance and equipment allowance of USD 20 or its equivalent in Indian Rupees is provided to the selected candidates.
- Air passage fee is provided from India to the nearest place of the educational institution and return travel to India.
- The students pursuing a Ph.D. degree receive the scholarship amount for the duration of the course of 4 years.
- The students pursuing a Master’s degree receive the scholarship amount for the duration of the course of 3 years.
National Overseas Scholarship Application Process:
The National Overseas Scholarship Application Form is accessed and submitted online. The step-wise application process is given below:
- Interested applicants should visit the National Overseas Scholarship Portal.
- He/ she should first register as a new user in the portal.
- After successful registration, a newly created Username and password are sent to the applicants’ email address.
- The candidate should log in to the scholarship portal using the username and password to access the National Overseas Scholarship Application Form.
- The students should enter details such as personal details, foreign university details, address, etc.
- The candidate should also enter the academic and employment details, and the visa details.
- Finally, the applicant should click ‘Submit’ to complete the scholarship application process.
National Overseas Scholarship Documents Required:
The necessary documents to be uploaded along with the application form are listed below:
- Self-attested Caste certificate issued by the competent authority
- Birth certificate
- Passport size photograph
- Scanned signature of the candidate
- Current address proof
- Permanent address proof
- Mark sheet of the last qualifying examination
- Educational degree with the respective mark sheets
- Valid Marks document
- Valid document regarding admission in the Foreign University
- Income certificate of all members of the family contributing to the household
- No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the employer
National Overseas Scholarship Selection Criteria:
The applicants are shortlisted impartially by the selection committee based on merit. The other criteria to be fulfilled for the scholarship selection are listed below:
- Applicants who have applied for the scholarship before the deadline are considered.
- The candidates who have already secured admission for the Master’s or Ph.D. degree abroad are given preference.
- The applicants who are yet to get admission for the course at any foreign university are considered for the scholarship on a conditional basis.
- In case of a tie between two or more eligible candidates, the available unfilled slots reserved for women are given to the most eligible candidate.
- The remaining slots are given to the candidates based on age-wise seniority. The oldest candidate is awarded the first scholarship slot and the rest are distributed in descending order of age.
National Overseas Scholarship Status Check:
The National Overseas Scholarship application form is submitted online. The candidates can track the status of their application through the scholarship portal. The step-wise procedure to check the application status is given below:
- The candidate should click on the National Overseas Scholarship Status Check page.
- He/ she should enter the scholarship registration number and the Email ID in the designated slots and click on the ‘Check Status’ button.
- The status of the scholarship application is displayed on the screen.
National Overseas Scholarship Terms and Conditions:
The general terms and conditions to be fulfilled for applying to the National Overseas Scholarship is given below:
- The National Overseas Scholarship Scheme provides up to 100 scholarships every year, subject to availability of funds.
- Out of the 100 scholarships, 32 are provided to students pursuing Engineering and Management studies.
- Candidates pursuing Agriculture science and Medicine, Pure Science and Applied Science, Humanities and Social Science, and International Commerce, Accounting & Finance are awarded 17 scholarships under each category.
- 30% of the scholarships are reserved for women candidates.
- 90 scholarships out of the 100 available are provided to SC students.
- Denotifies, Nomadic, and Semi-Nomadic Tribes get 6 scholarships every year.
- Landless Agricultural Labourers and Traditional Artisans are awarded with 4 scholarships every year.
- Not more than 2 children of the same family can apply for the scholarship.
- Vacant slots of the previous year, if any are also carry forwarded to the current year.
- The scholarship is awarded to students pursuing education in Engineering/ Management/ Pure Sciences & Applied Sciences/ Agricultural Science/ Medicine/ Commerce/ Accounting/ Finance/ Humanities/ Social Science.
- Address: Shri Deepak Mehra, Director (SCD-V)
Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment
Department of Social Justice and Empowerment,
Government of India, Room No. 636, A-Wing,
Shastri Bhavan, Dr. Rajendra Prasad Marg, New Delhi- 110001