|Conducted By||Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment|
|Eligibility||Undergraduate or postgraduate degree holders aspiring to pursue higher education overseas|
|Region||India and Other Countries|
|Rewards||Up to USD 15,400|
|Last Date of Application||October 15, 2021|
National overseas scholarship scheme offers financial support to students pursuing higher studies overseas. The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment provides the national overseas scholarship to the Scheduled Caste (SC), denotified nomadic & semi-nomadic tribes, landless agricultural labourers and traditional artisan category students.
The students aspiring to pursue a master's or a PhD degree in a distinguished foreign university can apply to the national overseas scholarship. The tentative last date to apply for the national overseas scholarship is October 15th, 2021.
Table of Contents
- National Overseas Scholarship Eligibility Criteria
- National Overseas Scholarship Rewards
- National Overseas Scholarship Application Process
- National Overseas Scholarship Important Documents
- National Overseas Scholarship Selection Process
- National Overseas Scholarship Reservations
- National Overseas Scholarship Contact Details
National Overseas Scholarship Eligibility Criteria
The national overseas scholarship aims to motivate the students belonging to Scheduled Caste (SC), denotified tribes and semi-nomadic tribes, landless agricultural labourers, and traditional artisans by providing them with scholarship opportunities. They should meet the following national overseas scholarship eligibility criteria:
- The candidates should not be more than 35 years of age as of April 1st in the academic year.
- Family income should not exceed INR 8,00,000 from all sources.
- Only two children from the same family can apply to the national overseas scholarship.
- The candidates should obtain valid scores in tests like IELTS, PTE, GMAT, GRE and others.
- Note: The minimum ELP and other test scores vary for each university.
- The candidates who want to pursue a bachelor's degree cannot apply to the national overseas scholarship.
- Those who are staying abroad cannot apply to the national overseas scholarship.
For masters degree
The candidates who want to pursue a master's degree in foreign universities through the national overseas scholarship scheme by the Indian government should fulfil the following criteria:
- They must have scored a minimum of 55% marks in the bachelor's degree.
- The selection committee will favour candidates with two years of work experience in the relevant field.
For a PhD degree
The candidates can apply to the national overseas scholarship 2021 PhD degree after fulfilling these criteria:
- They should have scored at least 55% in their master's degree.
- The scholarship program prefers candidates with two years of experience in teaching, research, professional expertise, and an MPhil degree in the relevant field.
For postdoctoral studies
The eligible candidates who want to apply for national overseas scholarship postdoctoral studies should meet the following criteria:
- They must have scored a minimum of 55% marks in their masters or PhD degree.
- The scholarship program prefers candidates with two years of experience in teaching, research, and professional experience in the relevant field.
National Overseas Scholarship Rewards
The selected students can pursue higher studies in the US, UK, Germany, Australia and many other countries. The chosen candidates should avail themselves of the national overseas scholarship rewards within one year from receiving an intimation from the ministry. If they do not respond within the stipulated time, the national scholarship awards will automatically get cancelled. The national scholarship covers the following expenses of the selected students:
- Maintenance allowance of 15,400 US Dollars per annum for students in the US and 9,900 Great Britain Pound per annum for students in the UK
- Contingency allowance
- Poll tax
- Incidental journey and equipment allowance of 20 US Dollars
- Visa fees
- Tuition fees
- Medical insurance
- Air flight tickets (economy class)
- Local travel
- The candidates pursuing a masters degree can receive the national scheme by the Indian government rewards for three years.
- Those seeking a PhD degree will receive the national scholarship benefit for four years.
- Note: The candidates should approach the embassy to get a visa. The national overseas scholarship will accept only a J1 visa for students aspiring to study in the United States. However, the government will not help the candidates in obtaining the visa.
National Overseas Scholarship Application Process
The candidates should meet all the requirements before applying for the national overseas scholarship. The first time applicants should register themselves on the official portal. The stepwise procedure to apply for the national overseas scholarship 2021 are:
Step 1 - The candidates should visit the official national overseas scholarship portal.
Step 2 - Next, they should click on the 'login/register' tab.
Step 3 - The first time applicants should click on the 'register yourself' button.
Step 4 - The candidates should fill in the registration form, upload their class X certificate and click on 'submit'.
Step 5 - After completing the registration process, the system will send a user ID to their registered email ID.
Step 6 - The candidates can log in to the portal and fill in the national overseas scholarship application form, upload the mandatory documents and submit it.
Note: The authorities will immediately reject incomplete national overseas scholarship 2021 application forms.
National Overseas Scholarship Important Documents
The candidates should keep all the mandatory documents ready before applying for the national overseas scholarship scheme by the Indian government. The records should contain accurate and authenticated information. The essential documents to apply for the national overseas scholarship portal are as follows:
- Candidate's class X certificate
- Caste certificate
- A certificate of the candidate's date of birth
- Candidate's scanned signature
- A proof of their current address
- A proof of the candidate's permanent address (if they are staying at different addresses)
- Candidate's provisional certificate or qualifying degree
- Mark sheets of every semester
- Valid documents for their marks
- Admission to the foreign university, including application, registration or any other documents regarding their entries.
- CGPA/SGPA certificate (if the marks are not in the percentage format, the candidates should convert it to percentage)
- If the candidates' bachelor degree completion date is over six months, they should submit an affidavit or certificate of their GAP details.
- If the candidate is filing ITR, he/she should provide an income tax return certificate.
- Income certificate (in the prescribed format)
- NOC certificate from the employer (if applicable)
National Overseas Scholarship Selection Process
The candidates are primarily selected based on academic merit and financial need. After submitting the national overseas scholarship application form, the competent authority will release a list of selected and unselected candidates on the official portal. The chosen candidates should submit an attestation form and other requisite documents as prescribed by the department. The national overseas scholarship's selection criteria are as follows:
- The committee considers all the national overseas scholarship application forms sent to them. However, they should submit it within the last date of application.
- The committee will prefer candidates who have obtained admission to a foreign university.
- The authorities will consider the candidates who are yet to obtain admission to a foreign university on a conditional basis.
- The competent authority will not conduct any additional interviews or group discussions.
- When there's a tie between two or more candidates, the authorities will follow these below conditions:
- The most eligible female candidates will first receive the unfilled slot.
- Next, the authorities will provide the national overseas scholarship based on the candidate's age. The oldest candidate will receive the first available slot.
National Overseas Scholarship Reservations
The national overseas scholarship schemes by the Indian government allocates 100 slots based on categories and courses. They provide the national overseas scholarship for scheduled tribe students, nomadic and semi-nomadic tribes, landless agricultural labourers, and traditional artisans.
National Overseas Scholarship Based on Categories
Given in the table are details about the national overseas scholarship slot distribution based on categories:
|Nomadic and semi-nomadic tribes||6|
|Landless agricultural labourers and traditional artisans||4|
National Overseas Scholarship Based on Courses
The reservation of the national overseas scholarship differs for each course. The details are as follows:
|Engineering and Management||32|
|Pure Sciences and Applied Sciences||17|
|Agricultural Sciences and Medicine||17|
|International Commerce Accounting and Finance||17|
|Humanities and Social Sciences||17|
National Overseas Scholarship - Key Points
Some of the key points of national overseas scholarship are:
- The organisation will carry forward vacant slots from the previous year to the current year.
- Students enrolling in engineering, management, pure sciences & applied sciences, agricultural science, medicine, commerce, accounting, finance, humanities and social science can apply to the national overseas scholarship.
- One hundred students get an opportunity to avail the benefits of national overseas scholarship every year.
- The organisation provides national overseas scholarship services expecting the candidates to return to India after completing their courses and serve the country by working in a government office for at least five years.
- The governments reserve 30% of the total scholarships for female candidates.
- The organisations will offer the national overseas scholarship amount as a one-time payment.
- The candidates will have the privilege to study in elite international universities such as Boston University, Harvard University, University of Iowa, etc.
- Note: Though the national overseas scholarship is valid for most international universities, the candidates must confirm before applying for the scholarship.
National Overseas Scholarship Contact Details
In case of any queries, the candidates can reach out to the national overseas scholarship's office on Tuesday and Thursday from 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM.
|Phone Number (Technical Questions)||011-23070579|
|Email ID||[email protected]|
National Overseas Scholarship FAQs
How can I know the national overseas scholarship is open for applications?
The candidates can apply to the national overseas scholarship through the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment portal. The providers will publish an advertisement in leading newspapers when national overseas scholarship opens for applications, and there will be an announcement on the ministry's portal.
How can I apply for admissions to a foreign university through the national overseas scholarship?
The selected candidates should obtain admissions in a recognised foreign institution. The candidates can get the details regarding the national overseas scholarship at embassies, consulates and Indian missions of foreign countries.
If I apply for the national overseas scholarship, how can I apply for the visa?
The selected candidates should contact the embassy, consulate and Indian ministry of the foreign country for visa application. However, the visas should allow them to return to India after completing their course. The candidates should note that the Indian government will not help students obtain a national overseas scholarship visa.