|Conducted By||PRS Legislative Research|
|Eligibility||Candidates with a bachelor's degree|
|Last Date of Application||December 29, 2022|
The LAMP fellowship, also known as the Legislative Assistants to Members of Parliament fellowship, offers a unique opportunity for youngsters to learn more about public policy and law-making. The candidates should hold an undergraduate degree in any discipline and should not be over 25 years of age to apply for the LAMP fellowship. The selected LAMP fellows will support the Member of Parliament (MP) by preparing debates and questions relating to policy and legislative, preparing press releases and providing research inputs before public appearances. The LAMP fellows will work on issues at the constituency level. They will also get a chance to accompany the MPs to meet the district officials, visit and engage with the parliamentary constituents.
The PRS legislative research developed the LAMP fellowship in 2010. It was launched in collaboration with the constitution club of India. The selected fellows will work full-time with an MP and help them with research inputs. Besides the LAMP fellowship, PRS also provides short-time internship opportunities. The candidates can get updates regarding the internships on the PRS website.The last date to apply for the LAMP Fellowship 2023-24 is December 29th, 2022.
The selected fellows will be required to relocate to Delhi. PSR will not take responsibility for the accomodation. However, keeping in mind the safety of the fellows, PSR has been working remotely this year. The LAMP fellowship starts from the middle of June with a one-month training. Then, during the monsoon session of the parliament, the management will assign each fellow to an MP. The fellows will work with them until the end of the budget session in the following year.
Note: Lamp Fellowship for 2023 still needs to be updated. However, the last date for 2022 was December 29th, 2022.
Table of Contents
- What is LAMP Fellowship?
- Eligibility Criteria
- How to Apply?
- Essential Documents
- Selection Criteria
- Contact Details
|Check Other Important Scholarships in India|
|State wise Scholarships|
|Discipline Level Scholarships|
|Category wise Scholarships|
|Class wise Scholarships|
|Course wise Scholarships|
What is LAMP Fellowship?
Candidates applying for the LAMP fellowship experience should be prepared to commit to working full-time. The MPs usually assign parliamentary work to the fellows either before they go or return from the parliament. The fellows should be able to brief the MPs on any matter in a short time during the sessions. They should also be flexible with the working hours. However, depending on the requirements of the MP, each fellow's work will differ accordingly.
PRS begins the LAMP fellowship India by training the candidates on Indian economics, constitution, parliamentary procedures, research tools and information sources. The fellows must attend the entire training program. PRS also organizes workshops to enable fellows to learn about Indian policies during the LAMP fellowship.
The fellows selected through the LAMP fellowship will be assigned to work for an MP for 10 to 11 months. They should provide research support to the MP during their tenure. They will conduct a significant amount of their research relating to the parliament like parliamentary questions, standing committee meetings, policy discussions and inputs for bills.
The selected fellows of the LAMP fellowship 2023 would be required to research various topics such as food security, defence, foreign affairs, economics and the environment. Listed below are some of the research tasks:
- Communication with the stakeholders
- Drafting a private member's bill
- Data analysis
- Research on parliamentary debates
- Research on issues related to constituency
- Drafting parliamentary questions
- Legislative research
- Research on standing committee meeting
- Media-related work such as preparing a press release, interventions for TV appearances, etc.
- The fellows will face each day with new challenges, and they should be able to deliver their tasks within the deadline. The deadlines may vary from 30 mins to two days, depending on the MP's specifications.
- They should be prepared to deal with the higher workload during the parliament sessions.
- Some MPs may ask the LAMP fellows to be involved in their constituency work. However, it depends on the agreement between the MP and the fellow.
Eligibility Criteria of LAMP Fellowship
The previous LAMP fellows held undergraduate or postgraduate degrees in economics, law, engineering, literature, pure sciences, political science, journalism, commerce, etc. The organizers look for highly motivated candidates with leadership qualities. Listed below are the requirements for LAMP fellowship:
- The applicants should be Indian
- Note: The candidates should hold an Indian passport or should be eligible to hold one. However, those holding PIO or OCI cards are not eligible to apply for the LAMP fellowship.
- They should hold an undergraduate degree in any discipline.
- Note: The candidates should hold an undergraduate degree before joining the LAMP fellowship. Those who are going to graduate shortly after the commencement of the fellowship cannot join the program.
- The candidates should not be over 25 years of age.
Benefits of LAMP Fellowship
The LAMP fellowship offers an opportunity to be mentored by an MP (Member of Parliament) for eleven months. In the past, several fellows, after the successful completion of the LAMP fellowship, have pursued higher education in elite universities like Oxford, Columbia, Yale, Harvard, Sciences Po, London School of economics, XLRI, IIM, etc. Others have had a successful career after LAMP fellowship by working for the MPs, political consulting organizations and political parties. A few fellows have joined civil services like Indian Foreign Service (IFS) and Indian Administrative Service (IAS). The benefits of the LAMP fellowship experience are as follows:
- The fellows will learn about the policies and law-making in India.
- They will receive a LAMP fellowship stipend of INR 20,000 per month.
- The fellows will get a chance to prepare debates and draft press releases.
- They will learn more about parliament structures, public policies, governance structure, etc.
- The LAMP fellowship 2021 will enable the candidates to hone their analytical and leadership skills.
How to Apply for the LAMP Fellowship?
The candidates can apply online to the LAMP fellowship. They can visit the official LAMP fellowship India website to apply for the program, and the application process are as follows:
- The candidates should visit the official LAMP fellowship
- They should fill in the application and provide their mark sheets, prior experiences, written essays on a policy or law, and their candidature for the LAMP fellowship.
- Note: Each essay should not be more than 500 and It should be written in English and should be free from plagiarism.
The candidates should prepare the required documents and keep them handy before applying for the LAMP fellowship. They should ensure the documents contain authentic and factual information. Listed below are the requisite documents for the LAMP fellowship:
- An updated resume
- Written essays
- Prior work experiences, volunteer works or internships
Selection Criteria of LAMP Fellowship
The candidates are selected after a rigorous process. The selection committee involves the members of PSR. They will scrutinize the LAMP fellowship application forms and shortlist the candidates in the initial round. After evaluating the LAMP fellowship application forms, the PSR members will interview and select suitable fellows among the shortlisted candidates.
In case of any queries regarding the LAMP fellowship, the candidates can contact the LAMP office. The contact details are as follows:
|Email ID||[email protected]|
|Address||PRS Legislative Research, Institute for Policy Research Studies, 3rd Floor, Gandharva Mahavidyalaya, 212, Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Marg, New Delhi, India - 110002|
For more details, visit our Scholarships 2022 Directory.