BTech after BSc is lucrative because it allows students to enter the technical field, opening doors for specialized career options. Many multinational companies offer advanced job roles to BTech graduates.
The transition to BTech after BSc is possible by taking admissions via the lateral entry process, and the admission process depends upon the eligibility criteria set by the institutes.
For admission to the institutes, students must take the entrance examination, where candidates must fulfil the university's minimum percentage criteria or CGPA, with mathematics as one of the compulsory subjects in BSc.
The duration of a BTech degree for lateral entry students is 3 years and can lead to advanced career options after degree completion.
Table of Contents
- Why Pursue BTech After BSc?
- Course Highlights of BTech Degree
- Eligibility Criteria for BTech After BSc
- Admission Process for BTech After BSc
- Entrance Exam for BTech After BSc
- Top Colleges for BTech Course
- Top Specialisations in BTech After BSc
- Top Recruiters in BTech After BSc
- Career, Scope, and Job Profiles in BTech
Why Pursue BTech after BSc?
Instead of a traditional 4-year B.Tech program, students can enrol in BTech after BSc, a three-year program mainly intended for working professionals. BSc graduates and working professionals who wish to pursue their careers in their engineering field should consider this program.
Some of the benefits of pursuing a BTech after a BSc are given below:
- Better Curriculum: A BTech after BSc has a more industry-relevant curriculum, which will help students get engineering jobs.
- Saves Time and Money: Compared to a standard BTech degree, the program is shorter, and students will get a chance to work while they study, aiding the living expenses and tuition.
- Grow in your Passion: Students can progress in their engineering careers and find new work possibilities with a B.Tech degree.
- Salary: Students who have completed their BTech in any specialisation can earn better wages and market opportunities.
Course Highlights of BTech Degree
Students planning to pursue BTech after BSc can refer to the table below for the highlights of Bachelor of Technology course according to parameters like course duration, eligibility criteria, entrance examination, specialisations, and average salary to graduates and recruiters:
|Bachelor of Technology
|Passed class 12th with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as compulsory subjects
|JEE, BITSAT, VITEEE, etc
|Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Marine Engineering
|INR 5 - 12 LPA
|HCL, Amazon, Wipro, Facebook, Flipkart, etc.
Eligibility Criteria for BTech After BSc
Universities may have different requirements for the B.Tech program after completing a B.Sc. degree. Candidates are required to fulfil the university's minimum percentage criteria or CGPA. Furthermore, candidates must meet the university's minimum requirements for years of work experience.
Some of the eligibility criteria for candidates planning to pursue their career in engineering after graduation with a BSc are mentioned below.
- In general, applicants must have finished a three-year engineering diploma or a three-year B.Sc. degree with mathematics as one of the compulsory subjects.
- The required amount of work experience is typically two to three years. (Not mandatory for every college)
- Based on the engineering program they wish to pursue, candidates must have completed their B.Sc. in a relevant discipline, including mathematics, computer science, information technology, or electronics.
Admission Process for BTech After BSc
The admission process for BTech after the b.sc course appears in the entrance examination merit list counselling process and physical admission verification at the centre; each procedure is explained in detail below.
Step 1: Entrance Exams: Some institutions may demand students to appear in engineering entrance exams.
Step 2: Merit List: After the successful completion of the entrance exam, the merit list is released, conforming to the eligibility of the students able to take admission
Step 3: Counselling Process: After the merit list is released, the counselling process starts in which the students, according to their results and merit, are allocated the institute where they can get admissions in BTech after BSc
Step 4: Admission Verification: After the allotment of the respective institute, students should go to the institute physically and verify the admission and pay the fees to confirm the admissions.
Also, Check: BTech Lateral Entry Admission
Entrance Exam for BTech After BSc
There are multiple entrance examination for admissions in BTech after BSc that facilitates admissions in BTech lateral entry such as West Bengal joint entrance lateral engineering test, lateral entry entrance test of Haryana, TS engineering common entrance test and more are listed below:
- WB JELET (West Bengal Joint Entrance Lateral Engineering Test)
- LEET (Lateral Entry Entrance Test)
- TS ECET (Telangana State Engineering Common Entrance Test)
- TNEA (Tamil Nadu Engineering Admissions)
- KLEEE (KL University Engineering Entrance Exam)
Top Colleges for BTech Courses
Some top colleges that offer BTech programs and fee structures are IIT Madras, IIT Delhi, IIT Bombay, IIT Kanpur, and IIT Roorkee, given in the table below.
|NIRF Ranking 2023
|Course Fees (in INR)
|INR 5.31 L - 10 L
|INR 8 L - 8.1 L
|INR 8 L - 20 L
|INR 8 L - 8.38 L
|INR 8 L - 10.71 L
|INR 8 L - 10 L
|INR 8 L
|INR 8 L
|INR 5 L
|INR 9.6 K - 1.21 L
Read More: Top BTech Colleges in India
Top Specialisations in BTech After BSc
Some of the top specialisations in which candidates can pursue their engineering program are Aerospace Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electronics & Electrical Engineering, and Mechanical Engineering; a few more are listed below:
- Aerospace Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Electronics & Electrical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Marine Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Computer Science Engineering
- Electronics & Communication Engineering
- Petroleum Engineering
- Ceramic Engineering
- Metallurgical Engineering
Also, Check: Best Engineering Branches in India
Top Recruiters in BTech After BSc
Students can refer to the list of top companies, which are Larson & Toubro, Goldman Sachs, Schlumberger, Infosys Technologies, Flipkart, etc., and a few more are listed below, which recruit an engineering graduate for different roles in their respective organisations.
- Larson & Toubro
- Goldman Sachs
- Infosys Technologies
- Accenture Services
- IBM Global Services
- HCL Technologies
- Info Edge India Ltd
- Morgan Stanley
- AT Kearney
- Bain & Company
- TATA Consultancy
- Rubrik and Uber
Also, Check: BTech Placements in India
Career, Scope, and Job Profiles in BTech
A BTech program provides a variety of options. Graduates are employed in various fields, including finance, accounting, and KPO/Research Analytics. Some of the popular job profiles of engineering graduates are given below:
|Average Annual Salary
|Computer Science Engineer