Candidates aspiring to pursue a career related to Basic Sciences can apply for IISER exam. Because this exam provides the opportunity for a student to study in a premium institute like IISc. Details regarding exam pattern, dates, preparation tips are discussed below.
- What is IISER?
- Exam Dates
- Exam Pattern
- Admit Card
- Exam Centres
- Courses Offered
- Related Exams
What is IISER?
India has many IITs which are dedicated for applied sciences and there was only one institute (IISc) which was dedicated for growth of Basic Sciences in India. This was one of the reasons why India was weak in the field of Basic Sciences.
Government of India recognized this problem, hence through the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), under the National Institutes of Technology (Amendment) Bill, 2010 (an amendment of the National Institutes of Technology Act, 2007), the Government created Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISERs).
|Exam Name||Indian Institute of Science Education and Research Aptitude Test|
|Acronym||IISER Aptitude Test|
|Conducting Body||IISER Bhopal|
|Program Offered||5-year BS-MS dual degree|
|IISER 2020 Exam Date||May 31, 2020|
|Mode||Online i.e. the Computer-Based Test (CBT)|
|Medium||English and Hindi|
|Help Desk||Contact No. +91 755 269 2500 Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org|
IISER Campus List
As of now, there are a total of 7 IISERs established. The following table has the list of 7 IISERs along with the year of establishment and NIRF Ranking.
|Name||Year of Establishment||NIRF Ranking|
ISER 2020 Exam Dates for candidates who are applying through KVPY and SCB Channel are provided in this table in a clear cut manner. The dates are however tentative and are bound to change.
|IISER 2020 KVPY||Important Dates|
|Starting Date of Application||April 24, 2020|
|Last date of Application||April 30, 2020|
|Exam Date||May 31, 2020|
Various dates for candidates who are applying through SCB Channel are:
|IISER 2020 (SCB Stream)||Important Dates|
|Opening of the application portal||April 24, 2020|
|Last date of application||April 30, 2020|
|IISER Admit Card 2020||May 18, 2020|
|IISER Aptitude Test||May 31, 2020|
|Answer Key Release||June 1, 2020|
|Response sheet and Objections Representations begins at 9 PM||June 2, 2020|
|Response sheet and Objections Representations ends at 5 PM||June 4, 2020|
|Publication of Revised Answer Key - 5 pm||June 8, 2020|
The eligibility criteria of IISER 2020 may vary depending upon the exam you are writing. KVPY, SBC, and JEE Advanced are the 3 channels and the shortlisting process is different for every exam based on the difficulty level.
The IISER has nowhere mentioned the upper age limit, for admission through any of the channels. The candidates have must have passed 10+2 or equivalent, with prescribed cut-off marks, with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics/Biology as compulsory subjects, from a recognized board or institution.
The candidate should be Indian National to apply for IISER. PIO & OCI candidates are also eligible to apply for IISER 2020 and are considered Indian citizens. Foreign students can also apply, but only through JEE Advanced channel.
The syllabus for IISER Aptitude test will be focused on 4 basics streams of science, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics/Biology.
The Syllabus for the IISER 2020 aptitude test generally follows the NCERT syllabus of class 11th and 12th of the above-mentioned subjects. The level of difficulty of KVPY and JEE Advanced is also different from that of IISER aptitude test.
Candidates can visit the official website to access the application form. Then they will have to fill the IISER Application Form Details and submit them. There are 3 application forms available and if you want to know how to apply for this, you can read the following section.
How to apply for IISER?
Candidates can apply for IISER through 3 channels, and the details regarding the application procedure for each channel are given below. The initial application process is similar to all the channels and the later stages are different. The initial steps of the application process are given below:
Common Initial Application Process is as follows:
- Visit the official website of IISER. Go to the registration page.
- Here you have to enter the basic details along with Valid Mobile number and Email ID.
- Once registration will be complete you will receive an email and an SMS which will have your login credentials like Login ID and Password.
- Log in with your credentials and if you want you can change your password.
- Then Enter your personal details and click submit.
- Then enter your academic qualification details and submit them.
- Upload your documents, enter the Captcha and then click on 'I Agree" after reading the declaration.
How to apply for IISER through SCB Channel?
After completing the initial application details, candidates can follow these steps to apply through SCB Channel:
- Beside the Application Details, you will be able to see SCB Channel click on it and you will see a "Click here to fill the application" icon. Click on the icon.
- Enter your personal details like application number, reference number, your name and date of birth.
- Then fill your city preferences for IISER Aptitude Test.
- Now choose which course in the particular IISER you want and fill them from top priority to low priority. Now click the submit button and you will be directed to payment gateway.
- You can pay the Application through RTGS/NEFT or Net Banking/Debit card/Credit Card/UPI. You have to enter your mobile number, email id and payer name. After this click on generate challan icon to generate challan.
- With the payment of application, your application process is completed.
How to apply for IISER through KVPY Channel?
Students can refer the following steps to apply for IISER through KVPY Channel.
- Once you are done filling the application details, click on KVPY Channel tab and there you will see a "Click here to fill the Application" icon, Click on it.
- Now enter your application number, reference number, your name and date of birth.
- After that enter your KVPY details like, KVPY Qualifying Rank, KVPY Roll Number and KVPY Application Number.
- Now give your college and course preferences and click on submit.
- You can pay the application fee through online mode (Net Banking/Credit Card/Debit Card/UPI/RTGS/NEFT). You have to enter your mobile number, email id and payer name. After this click on generate challan icon to generate challan.
- On successful transaction, your application process is completed.
How to apply for IISER through JEE Advanced Channel?
You can read the following steps to understand the application process for JEE Advanced Channel.
- After entering your personal details you can click on JEE Channel. There you can click on "Click here to fill the Application" icon.
- Now enter your personal details like application number, reference number, your name and date of birth.
- After that, you can enter your roll number, registration number and your qualifying rank.
- Now you can enter your course and IISER preferences. Click on submit icon.
- You will be redirected towards payment gate where you can pay the IISER Application Fee online through RTGS/NEFT/Net Banking/Debit Card/Credit Card/UPI.
- Enter your mobile number, email id and the name of the payer. Now take challan by clicking on Generate Challan.
- Your application process will end upon successful payment of the Application Fee.
Application Form Details
The Application Form of IISER 2020 will be available on the official website. Candidates can apply to IISER only through the online application form. It will be available from 26th May 2020 (for KVPY Channel), 15th June 2020 (for JEE Channel) and 31st March 2020 (for SCB Channel).
Candidates are given options to give 7 options (for both course and IISER) 7 IISER campuses based on their choice while filling the Online IISER 2020 Application Form.
While filling IISER 2020 Application form, candidates need to upload the scanned documents such as XII mark sheet, Signature, Photograph etc. The following table has details about these documents.
|12th/Equivalent programme Marksheet||You should have a scanned copy the Marksheet||Max 1MB||pdf/jpeg/jpg|
|Photograph||A recent photograph||200 KB||pdf/jpeg/jpg|
|Signature||Your Signature||200 KB||pdf/jpeg/jpg|
Payment Structure: General category candidates have to pay the IISER 2020 application fee of INR 2000, and the candidates under the SC/ST/Kashmiri Migrant category are required to pay a fee of INR 1000 only.
|Application Mode||Only Online|
|Registration Fee||INR 2000 for General Candidates|
|INR 1000 for Reserved Candidates|
Documents required by the candidates to apply for IISER are as follows:
- Recent Passport size photograph in jpg/jpeg format (maximum size 200KB).
- Candidate's Signature in jpg/jpeg format (maximum size 200KB).
- Class 12th/Equivalent Program Marksheet in jpg/jpeg/pdf format.
- Caste certificate (if applicable).
- PwD certificate (If applicable).
- Income tax certificate (If Applicable).
The IISER 2020 Admit Card will be released on the official website from May 18, 2020. Students should use IISER 2020 login link to sign in and download the admit card. And also students should take at least 2 photocopies for future reference.
Admit Card will contain the student's name, roll number, exam centre, complete address of the exam centre, date and time of the exam. It is mandatory to take photo Id proof along with the Admit card to the examination hall to appear in IISER 2020 Aptitude Test.
If a candidate found any mistakes or discrepancies in the downloaded Admit Card, then he/she should report the issue to the IISER Bhopal as soon as possible and get it rectified to avoid any possible disqualification on the exam day. Photo ID proof may be any one of the PAN Card, Adhar Card, Voter ID Card etc.
The exam pattern of IISER 2020 comprises of 4 subjects; Physics, Chemistry, Maths & Biology. Each section has 15 Multiple Choice Questions and the time duration for all the section is 180 minutes.
Every correct response fetches (+3) marks. (-1) mark is deducted for an incorrect response. No marks are deducted for unattempted responses.
|Mode||Online i.e. Computer-based Test (CBT)|
|Question Type||Multiple Choice Question (MCQ)|
|Total No. Questions||60|
|Marking Scheme||Correct answer: (+) 3 marks|
|Incorrect answer: (-) 1 mark|
Candidates have to choose an exam centre of their choice from the list of exam centres while filling the IISER 2020 Exam Application Form.
There are 18 test venues across India, where IISER 2020 will be conducted and the allotment of seats are based on the availability of the seats at each centre.
If the examination cannot be conducted in any of the centres due to unforeseen reasons, the candidate would be allotted an alternate centre, and such information will be communicated in due time. No objection in this regard is entertained.
Candidates can check the IISER 2020 Result for SCB channel through online mode from the official website of IISER.
Candidates should enter their IISER 2020 login ID & password to check their results and the shortlisted candidates will be called for further counselling process on the basis of the marks scored.
You need to score a minimum of the cutoff marks to be ranked / qualified to seek admissions through IISER 2020 SCB channel. The cut-off is arrived at by keeping a ratio of available seats this year and your relative performance in the aptitude test. Also, cut off varies within the various IISER campuses.
The IISER 2020 qualified students can apply for the further round of counselling process of IISER 2020.
Admissions will be made on the basis of the merit list provided by IISER. The counselling process of IISER 2020 commences on June 5, 2020. The of IISER 2020 Counselling will only be through online mode.
While appearing for the counselling the candidates should produce the documents such as IISER 2020 Admit Card, Copy of Application Form, Class 10+2 Mark Sheets, Identity Proof, Address Proof, Date of Birth Proof.
Relaxation in qualifying marks
Candidates who score marks equal or more than the cut-off mark provided in the list mentioned below are eligible to apply for the Indian Institutes of Science Education and Research (IISER) 2020 Aptitude test. There is a relaxation of 5% for students from OBC-NC and PWD category. Candidates from SC, ST category and Kashmiri migrants the cut-off is 55% for all boards in 12th.
Along with relaxation in the marks, the IISER has certain seats reserved for the SC, ST, OBC - NC, PWD and KM (Kashmir Migrant) candidates. The details of reserved seats are given below,
|Category||Percentage of Seats Reserved|
|Schedule Caste||15 %|
|Schedule Tribe||7.5 %|
|Persons with Disability||5% (supernumerary)|
|Other Backward Class - Non-Creamy Layer||27 %|
|Kashmir Migrants||3 seats per IISER(supernumerary)|
These 7 IISERs offers a 5-year BS-MS degree programme. The following table has details regarding this degree.
|Course||BS-MS Integrated Dual Degree|
|Total No. of Seats||1285|
|Seats Available Per IISER||100 to 260|
|Seats Reserved||IISER 2020 aptitude Test = 50%|
|KVPY exam & JEE Adv. = 50%|
Apart from this, IISER Bhopal offers a 4 year BS Degree.
If IITs are the best in the field of Applied Sciences then IISERs are supposed to be the best in the field of Basic Sciences. If you want to study in one of the 7 IISERs then read the following section to know-how.
Basically, there are 3 ways to get a seat in IISER. These 3 ways are officially known as 3 channels to apply for IISERs. These channels are as follows:
- SCB (State and Central Boards) Channel - IISER 2020 aptitude Test (IAT),
- KVPY exam (Kishor Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana) &
- JEE Advanced.
KVPY Channel (Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana): Candidates with a valid KVPY fellowship of the current academic session i.e. 2020 - 2020, can apply for the IISER this year. Cut-off criteria are applicable.
JEE Advanced Channel: Candidates in General category securing a rank within 10,000 in the Common Rank List (CRL) of JEE Advanced 2020 are eligible to apply. For candidates belonging to the reserved category (OBCNC, SC, ST, PD), their category rank should be within 10,000.
SCB Channel: To take admission under this channel you need to satisfy the cut off of the qualifying exam before taking the IISER Aptitude Test. The cut-off marks and the respective board in 2018 are listed below.
|Name of Board||Cut-off percentage||Name of Board||Cut-off percentage|
|AMU Board||81.4||Andhra Pradesh||95.4|
|Himachal Pradesh||79.7||Jammu Kashmir||84.4|
The Chairperson, Joint Admissions Committee 2020, IISER Bhopal, Bhopal Bypass Road, Bhauri, Bhopal, Pincode - 462 066 Madhya Pradesh, INDIA.
Phone : +91 755 269 2500 (10 AM to 1 PM on Monday to Friday)
Q. How do you qualify for IISER?
Ans. You should have qualified/qualifying 10+2/equivalent with the prescribed marks.
Q. How do I admit in IISER?
Ans. You can get admission in IISER by applying through one of the 3 channels.
Q. What is SCB Channel for IISER?
Ans. SCB means state and central board. This is for the candidates who don't have KVPLY fellowship or who have not cleared IISER.
Q. What are the courses available in IISER?
Ans. 5 Year Integrated BS-MS program and 4 year BS program (IISER Bhopal).
Q. Which is the best IISER?
Ans. IISER Kolkata is the best IISER.
Q. Is the IISER aptitude test difficult?
Ans. The difficulty level of IISER is considered above that of JEE Mains.