IELTS syllabus 2023 will be available on the official website. IELTS 2023 exam or International English Language Testing System has two formats and needs to be clearly understood and selected by the candidate beforehand. First, there is IELTS Academic, which universities prefer when applying for UG or PG. Then, there is IELTS General Training for people trying to relocate to another English-speaking country.
Detailed information related to the IELTS 2023 syllabus is provided in this article. Candidates are advised to go through the IELTS exam syllabus properly.
Table of Contents
- IELTS 2023 Syllabus Highlights
- IELTS Syllabus for Writing
- IELTS Syllabus for Reading
- IELTS Syllabus for Listening (Same for Academic and General Training)
- IELTS Syllabus for Speaking
- IELTS Syllabus for English Grammar
- IELTS Exam Pattern
- IELTS Preparation Tips
IELTS Syllabus 2023 Highlights
As mentioned above, the IELTS syllabus is dependent on the format of IELTS. IELTS exam syllabus has two formats - Academic and General Training. Important highlights of the IELTS syllabus 2023 are given below.
|Listening||It encompasses four recorded monologues and conversations|
|Reading||Three long reading passages with tasks. Texts range from descriptive and factual to discursive, and analytical includes non-verbal material like diagrams, graphs, and illustrations texts are authentic (taken from books, journals, and newspapers)|
|Writing||A writing task of at least 150 words where the candidate must summarize, describe or explain table, graph, chart or diagram, and another short essay task of at least 250 words|
|Speaking||The face-to-face interview includes short questions, speaking at length about a familiar topic, and a structured discussion|
IELTS Syllabus 2023 for Writing
The IELTS modules for writing consists of writing out short essays or general reports. There are two tasks in this module. The first one consists of a diagram, table, or data, and the candidate is to present the information they understood in not less than 150 words. The second task consists of a viewpoint, problem, or argument where the candidate has to justify an opinion with factual information, present a solution, etc.
- Academic: In this, the first task includes a diagram, table, or graph. The candidate might be asked to explain the process of the given information, certain data entries, or a flow chart to arrive at a conclusion logically. In the second task, candidates need to write an essay as a response to the data with relevant examples with a strict formal writing style.
- General Training: In this first task candidates would be asked to write a letter according to the given situation. The candidate would probably be asked to explain, request for something, or support the argument to a certain authority. Based on this viewpoint, the second task would be to draft an essay, where the arguments and opinions are to be supported with the help of relevant instances. The writing here can be a bit personal.
IELTS Syllabus 2023 for Reading
The reading module consists of three passages with a total of 40 questions. The question types include multiple choices, short answer types, matching lists, sentence or summary completion, identifying data, or writer's views and attitudes.
- Academic: In this, the three passages may be descriptive, factual, or analytical that are taken from journals, newspapers, articles, etc. These texts are ideal for testing candidates that are aspiring for higher education or professionals seeking work abroad.
- General Training: Here the passages are from company guidelines, brochures, and so on which are relatively easier than the Academic format.
IELTS Syllabus 2023 for Listening (Same for Academic and General Training)
The listening module consists of four sections, where the first two are conversations that are concerned with social needs, and the next two are concerned with situations more closely related to education. Each of these would be 3 minutes long and can be either monologues or dialogues.
The candidate can only listen to it once and then answer various questions like multiple choices, short answer type, sentence completion, etc. It constitutes a total of 40 questions. After knowing the syllabus, the candidate has to follow a dedicated method to prepare for the IELTS listening section.
IELTS Syllabus 2023 for Speaking
The Speaking Module consists of a structured interview that has an emphasis on general speaking skills. This tests the candidates of their ability to communicate effectively with native speakers of English. There are three parts to this exam: a personal interview, a little speech, and a discussion.
- The first five minutes is the examiner asking the candidate some general type questions about the candidate such as family, home, hobbies and interests, and so on.
- Following that, the examiner will hand out a flashcard containing a specific topic, and the candidate would be allowed a minute or two to familiarize themself with the topic. Then the candidate has to talk about the topic for about two minutes. The examiner might ask some questions after it based on the candidate's understanding of the topic.
- The final part includes deeper questions and abstract discussions based on the given topic and the candidate's speech. It would take up to five or six minutes.
IELTS Syllabus 2023 for English Grammar
For a good grade, strong Grammar is required. Candidates must be comfortable with a wide range of grammatical structures. Some IELTS course details for Grammar topics are listed below.
Listening & Reading
- Subject-verb agreement
- Proper nouns
Writing & Speaking
- Countable, uncountable noun
IELTS 2023 Exam Pattern
Important highlights related to the IELTS examformat 2023 are summarised below.
- Test Duration: The duration of the test is 2 hours and 45 minutes.
- Categories and Sections: The IELTS 2023 exam is of two categories, IELTS Academic and IELTS General Training. Both of these categories consists of 4 sections each. They are,
IELTS Academic and IELTS General Training have the same pattern for Listening and Speaking. For the sections of Writing and Reading, the IELTS Academic is much tougher than IELTS General Training. Along with the IELTS syllabus, the candidates must also check out the IELTS Exam Pattern.
IELTS 2023 Preparation Tips
Candidates can start their IELTS exam preparation after assessing them once. This can help them to know the pattern of the examination and also know their understanding and level in cracking IELTS exam. Candidates can enroll themselves for IELTS coaching. There are various institutes offering IELTS coaching in India. Candidates can start collecting books and other study materials required for preparations. Some of the preparations tips are mentioned below.
- Mock test: Attend multiple mock tests before appearing for the finals.
- Learn the Pattern: The candidates should be familiar with the pattern to perform smoothly at the time of examination.
- Manage the time constrain: Solve the sample papers with time constrian to follow that at the time of finals.
- Develop skills: Develop grammar and vocabulary skills and reading and writing skills too.