Bar Council of India (BCI) conducts the All India Bar Examination (AIBE) in order to assess the skill and knowledge of the candidates to practice in the court. AIBE is considered as a minimum benchmark that the aspiring candidates need to reach in order to practice in the court. The exam assesses the basic knowledge that the candidates possess about law and other logical abilities. Candidates will be awarded a certificate of practice by BCI if they qualify in the AIBE.
AIBE 2021 will be conducted in offline mode which is a Pen and Paper-based test (PBT) in many cities across India. The AIBE 2021 question paper will be available in 11 languages. The detailed AIBE 2021 Exam Pattern has been discussed below.
AIBE 2021 Exam Pattern
- Exam Mode: AIBE 2021 will be conducted in offline mode, Pen and Paper-based Test (PBT). Candidates have to mark the answers on the OMR sheet. No computers will be used to conduct the AIBE examination.
- Type of Examination: AIBE is an open book examination, which means the candidate can carry study material, reference books, and other things that help them in answering the questions.
- Type of Questions: The AIBE 2021 exam will contain Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ)/ Objective type. Each question has equal weightage with 1 mark per question.
- Number of Questions: There will be a total of 100 questions in the AIBE 2021 exam.
- Subjects: The AIBE 2021 syllabus will carry questions from 19 subjects. These subjects will be divided into category-I and category-II. Each subject of category-I will have 7 questions while Category-II subjects will have 23 questions in total. 23-questions of Part-2 will include questions from at least 5 subjects of Category II.
- Parts: The test is consisting of 2 parts i.e. Part I and Part II. Category I subjects will be included in Part I while category-2 subjects will be included in Part II.
- Languages: AIBE 2021 exam will be conducted in 11 languages and candidates have the choice to take the examination in any one of the languages. They have to choose that option in the registration process of the examination. Apart from English and Hindi, the regional languages are Telugu, Tamil, Kannada, Marathi, Gujarati, Bengali, Oriya, Assamese, and Punjabi.
- Time Duration: Candidates will be provided with 3 hours and 30 minutes to complete the examination. Candidates with 80% or more disability will be provided an extra time of 20 minutes per hour. If the candidate can complete his/her examination before the allotted time, then they could be allowed to leave the hall early.
- Negative Marking: No negative marking in the examination. Hence, no mark will be deducted for the incorrect response. candidates can take advantage of this marking scheme by answering all the questions which in turn will increase the probability of scoring more.
AIBE 2021 Exam Pattern Highlights
|AIBE 2021 Overview|
|Mode of Exam||Offline|
|Language of Exam||11 Languages|
|Paper Type||Objective Type/ Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)|
|Number of Questions||100 MCQs|
|Duration of Exam||210 minutes (3 hours 30 minutes)|
|Marking Scheme||1 mark for every correct answer and no negative mark No marks will be awarded unanswered questions|
Category-wise Exam pattern of AIBE 2021
The examination will be divided into two categories (I and II).
- The Examination paper will comprise at least seven (7) questions from each ‘Category I’ subject.
- The paper will also have twenty-three (23) questions from the ‘Category II’ subjects as a whole, and these twenty-three questions will include questions from at least five (5) Category II subjects.
- Category I subjects will be tested in Part I of the question paper, and Category II subjects will be tested in Part II of the question paper.
The Category I and Category II subjects are set out below:
|Category I||Category II|
|Subjects||No. of Qn.||Subjects||No. of Qn.|
|Alternative Dispute Resolution||7||Administrative Law||23 questions in all and these questions will include questions from at least 5 subjects in Category II|
|Civil Procedure Code and Limitation Act||7||Company Law|
|Constitutional Law||7||Environmental Law|
|Contract Law, including Specific Relief, Special Contracts, and Negotiable Instruments||7||Family Law|
|Criminal Law I: The Indian Penal Code||7||Human Rights Law|
|Criminal Procedure||7||Labour and Industrial Law|
|Drafting, Pleading, and Conveyancing||7||Law of Tort, including Motor Vehicle Accidents, and Consumer Protection Law|
|Evidence||7||Principles of Taxation Law|
|Jurisprudence||7||Public International Law|
|Professional Ethics and the Professional Code of Conduct for Advocates||7||Total Marks = 100
Total Questions = 100
Check the AIBE XVI eligibility to see whether you satisfy all the conditions before applying and taking up AIBE 2021