|Conducted By||Sahitya Akademi, Government of India|
|Eligibility||Indian authors (Below 35 year old)|
|Rewards||₹50,000, plaque and citation|
|Last Date of Application||November 30, 2021|
Sahitya Akademi Yuva Puraskar is organized by the Sahitya Akademi, Government of India. The civilian award is for honoring writers of below 35-year old, who contributes to the Indian literature. Award-winning writers will be entitled to prize money of ₹50,000 along with a plaque and citation.
The literary awards will be given to young Indian writers of all the 24 languages recognized by the Akademi. Assamese, Bengali, Bodo, Dogri, English, Gujarati, Hindi, Kashmiri, Kannada, Konkani, Maithili, Malayalam, Manipuri, Marathi, Nepali, Odia, Punjabi, Rajasthani, Santali, Sanskrit, Sindhi, Tamil, Telugu and Urdu are the 24 languages notified by the Akademi.
About Sahitya Akademi:
Sahitya Akademi is India’s National Academy of Letters established on 12 March 1954 by the Government of India. Yuva Puraskar was installed in the year of 2011 in order to embolden young writers. Since its implementation, around 204 awards have been given to Indian writers from all the identified languages.
Scholarship Quick Links:
The quick links for ease of access are given below:
- Eligibility Criteria
- Rewards and Benefits
- Application Process
- Selection Process
- Award Declaration
- Required Documents
- Contact Details
Sahitya Akademi Yuva Puraskar Eligibility Criteria:
Yuva Puraskar is an annual Civilian Award given to young Indian authors for their first book or the best book:
- The applicant must be of Indian Nationality.
- The author’s age has to be 35 or below as of 1 January 2020.
- The book must be an assuring work of talent and a contribution to the respected regional literature.
- The book should not be a translation work or abridgment. It has to be a creative one, unlike a thesis or research work.
- Candidate already awarded from Akademi is not eligible except for Bal Sahitya Puraskar or Translation Prize.
- Members of the Executive Board of the Akademi are restricted from participating for the award..
- Posthumous work is not permissible in the contest.
- The Book will be disqualified in case it satisfies the Executive board by canvassing.
- Publishers are encouraged to send multiple books.
- The selected book for Yuva Puraskar will not be eligible for the Annual Sahitya Akademi Award.
Sahitya Akademi Yuva Puraskar Rewards and Benefits:
The awardees will be entitled to various awards and recognitions:
- The Sahitya Akademi Yuva Puraskar itself is a Civilian Award that emboldens the establishment of young Indian writers.
- The award constitutes an amount of INR 50,000.
- Winners will be felicitated with a nameplate tablet and a citation.
Application Process for Sahitya Akademi Yuva Puraskar:
Young Indian authors or publishers from all the 24 languages can send in their work. The only criteria are the applicant has to be 35 years old or below as on 1st January 2020. Authors for the following languages are requested to send their works to the following address:
- For Dogri, English, Hindi, Kashmiri, Maithili, Punjabi, Rajasthani, Sanskrit and Urdu.
Address: Head Office Secretary Sahitya Akademi Rabindra Bhavan 35, Ferozeshah Road New Delhi – 110 001 Tel: 011-23386626/27/28.
- For Kannada, Malayalam, Tamil and Telugu.
Address: Bengaluru Regional Secretary, Sahitya Akademi, Central College Campus, University Library Building Dr. B. R. Ambedkar Veedhi, Bengaluru – 560 001 Tel: 080-22245152, 22130870.
- For Assamese, Bengali, Bodo, Manipuri, Nepali, Odia and Santali.
Address: Kolkata Regional Secretary, Sahitya Akademi, 4, D. L. Khan Road, Kolkata – 700 025 Tel: 033-24198683/24191705.
- For Gujarati, Konkani, Marathi and Sindhi.
Address: Mumbai Regional Secretary, Sahitya Akademi, 172, Mumbai Marathi Granth Sangrahalaya Marg, Sharada Cinema Building Dadar (East), Mumbai – 400 014 Tel: 022-24135744/24131948
Note: Applicants are advised to fill up the application form which is to be attached and send along with the required documents. (Forms are available on the official website of Sahitya Akademi).
Sahitya Akademi Yuva Puraskar Selection Process:
In the final selection process, a minimum of three books will be shortlisted. Awards are advised subject to at least three books in the final process:
- The first stage of shortlisting is done by a Preliminary Panel.
The Preliminary Panel and its functions:
A Preliminary Panel consists of 10 arbiters or monitors nominated by the President of Sahitya Akademi. Later recommendations are sent to each referee by the Language Advisory Board. Each monitor should select two books, one is from the pre-list of 4 (2) and the other is of the monitor's own choice.
- In the final selection, Jury members will praise a book for the award
The Jury and its Functions:
- A three members Jury is selected by the President and they will be considering recommendations from the referee as well as from the concerned Language Advisory Board.
- It is the duty of Akademi to purchase the recommended books from referees and send them to Jury members and Convener.
- The Convener bridges the gap between the Jury and the Akademi.
- In the final stage Jury, members will suggest a book for the award either by common consent or by majority opinion. Also, Jury holds the authority to disclaim that no book is eligible for an award.
Sahitya Akademi Yuva Puraskar Award Declaration:
- The Executive Board is responsible for the final approval of awards.
- The final propose of the Jury is formally approved and announced by the Executive Board.
- Along with award disclosure, names of the Jury members and the shortlisted books will be publicized.
- Details of the award ceremony such as date, time, and venue are decided by the Akademi President or the Executive Board.
- In case of the sad demise of awardee before the award bestowal, it will be given to his/her legal heir.
Sahitya Akademi Yuva Puraskar Required Documents:
The documents to be submitted to avail the scholarship are:
- Copy of author’s book.
- Certificate of Date of Birth attested by a Class 1 Gazetted Officer.
- Affidavit approving date and year of birth as well as educational qualification.
- Phone Number: 011-23386626/27/28
- E-mail ID: [email protected],
- Address: Secretary Sahitya Akademi, Rabindra Bhavan, 35, Ferozeshah Road, New Delhi-110001.