Top Government Medical Colleges in India: There are a total of 1650 medical colleges in India, 512 are approved by the UGC (The University Grants Commission). A total of 481 medical colleges in India are approved by the Medical Council of India (MCI) and the remaining 361 have NAAC accreditation.
The Top Government Medical Colleges in India for MBBS and PG courses offer multiple specializations. There are a total of 1650 medical colleges in India, 512 are approved by the UGC (The University Grants Commission). A total of 481 medical colleges in India are approved by the Medical Council of India (MCI) and the remaining 361 have NAAC accreditation. Lastly, 84 colleges are also part of CCIM (Central Council of Indian Medicine). There are currently 1066 private and 584 Government Medical Colleges in India. The NIRF stands for the National Institutional Ranking Framework. It is the official ranking agency of the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) and releases a list of top colleges in India every year across 8 different domains including medical. The NIRF ranking is released every year and the colleges are ranked on the basis of their performance in various parameters. The NIRF ranking parameters include Teaching, Learning & Resources, Research, and Professional Practice, Graduation Outcome, Outreach, and Inclusivity, and Peer Perception.
Other Related Articles
- Government Colleges in Delhi
- Top Universities in Bangalore
- Top MBA Universities in India
- Top Private MBA Colleges in India 2021
The top Medical colleges in India offer various undergraduate, postgraduate, doctorate, diploma, and certificate courses in the field of Medical and Health Science. Following are the UG courses for medicine and health science studies:
- MBBS - Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Science
- BSc - Renal Dialysis Technology
- BSc - Medical Imaging Technology
- BSc - Medical Laboratory Technology
- BSc- Nursing
- BASLP - Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology
- BOptom - Optometry
- BOT - Bachelor of Occupational Therapy
- BPharm - Pharmacy
- BPT - Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- PB BSc - Nursing
- BDS - Bachelor of Dental Surgery
Following are the PG courses for medicine and health science studies:
- MD - Respiratory Medicine, Radio-Diagnosis, Anaesthesiology, Paediatrics, etc.
- MSc - Medical Anatomy, Medical Biochemistry, Medical Microbiology, Medical Physiology, etc.
- MS - Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Orthopaedics, Ophthalmology, General Surgery, etc.
- MPH - Health Management, Bio-Statistics
- MOT - Hand Rehabilitation, Neurosciences, Mental Health, etc.
- MDS - Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, etc.
- MPharm - Pharmaceutical Analysis, Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, etc.
Following are the Certificate Courses for medicine and health science studies:
- Certificate Course in Medical Office Management (CcMOM)
- Certificate Course in Blood Bank Technology
- Certificate Course in Ophthalmic Technology
- Certificate Course in Health Inspector
Following are the Diploma Courses for medicine and health science studies:
- Diploma in Nursing
- Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology
- Diploma in Medical Record Science
- Diploma in Optometry
List of Top 10 Government Medical Colleges in India 2021
NIRF ranks the colleges based on their performance across various parameters. The parameters for NIRF ranking include:
- Teaching, Learning & Resources
- Research and Professional Practice
- Peer Perception
- Outreach and Inclusivity
- Graduation Outcome
Find below the Top10 Government Medical Colleges in India ranked by NIRF:
|Top 10 Medical Colleges in India 2021||NIRF 2020 Ranking|
|All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi||1|
|Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh||2|
|National Institute of Mental Health & Neuro Sciences (NIMHANS), Bangalore||4|
|Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences (SGPGIMS), Lucknow||5|
|Banaras Hindu University (BHU), Varanasi||6|
|Jawaharlal Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education & Research (JIPMER), Puducherry||8|
|King George's Medical University, Lucknow||10|
|Madras Medical College Chennai||12|
|Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh||15|
|Vardhman Mahavir Medical College and Safdarjung Hospital, New Delhi||16|
Eligibility Criteria for Admission in Top Government Medical Colleges in India 2021
Candidates are also expected to follow the eligibility criteria recommended by the Medical Council of India (MCI), Dental Council of India, Indian Nursing Council, Pharmacy Council of India, Indian Association of Physiotherapists, and respective association/council for other medical and health science courses.
The following is the detailed information about eligibility criteria in general for medical and health sciences admission into these top medical colleges of India 2021:
- A pass mark in the class 12 examination with science subjects - Physics, Chemistry, and Zoology / Botany.
- English should be one of the main subjects in the qualifying examination.
- The candidate must have completed 17 years of age at the time of admission.
Candidates qualifying the eligibility criteria set by The National Medical Commission (NMC) will be eligible for MBBS admission in India. The following is the eligibility criteria by NMC:
- Educational qualification: 12th Pass from a recognized board.
- Preferred subjects: Students should have Physics, Chemistry, and Biology as their subjects of study in their class 11 and 12.
- Minimum qualifying marks: 50% is the minimum marks required in the qualifying examination.
whereas the minimum marks for SC, ST, and OBC category candidates is 40%.
- Age: Candidates who are 17 years of age and above with an upper limit of 25 years are eligible for MBBS admission in India.