|Conducted By||University Grants Commission (UGC)|
|Eligibility||Students should have obtained at least 55% marks in the postgraduate degree|
|Rewards||Up to INR 28,000 per month and other benefits|
|Last Date of Application||September 5, 2021|
The NET JRF (National Eligibility Test for Junior Research Fellowship) provides financial assistance worth ₹35,000 to students pursuing M.Phil / Ph.D. degree. The National Eligibility Test (NET) for research fellowship is conducted by the University Grants Commission (UGC). Students of Social Sciences and Humanities including Languages and Sciences stream are eligible to participate in the doctoral level scholarship program. The proposed fellowship amount including HRA, special allowance, and other benefits are covered under the UGC sponsored scheme.
The JRF scheme is open to candidates who qualify the National Eligibility Test and UGC-CSIR (Council of Scientific and Industrial Research) joint test. The objective is to provide opportunities to NET-JRF fellows to pursue research and advanced studies leading to M.Phil./ Ph.D. degrees.
General category students with minimum 55 percent marks in the master's degree and students of all other categories.
Fellowship Quick Links:
- Eligibility Criteria
- Rewards and Benefits
- Application Process
- Selection Criteria
- Mode of Exam
- Important Dates
- Terms and Conditions
- Contact Details
NET JRF Eligibility Criteria:
The general conditions of eligibility for National Eligibility Test- Junior Research fellowship as follows:
- Candidate must have passed post-graduation from a government recognized university or institute for the Junior Research Fellowship.
- General (EWS) category applicants must have secured a minimum of 55 percent marks or equivalent grade in a master’s degree.
- Applicants belong to OBC, ST/SC, PWD or Transgender category with at least 50 percent marks in master’s program are eligible to apply.
- Degree holders who have completed their master’s examination by 19th September 1991 are eligible for appearing NET with 5 percent relaxation in marks percentile.
- Applicants waiting for PG results and those pursuing master’s degree are eligible to apply for the UGC NET exam.
- In such a case, the candidate will only be considered for the admission of JRF and Assistant professor once they pass the master’s degree with the required percentile within the 2 years from the NET result date.
- In order to apply for the JRF program, general category applicants should not be more than 30 years old.
- There is no age limit criteria for the Assistant Professor program.
- Age relaxation of 5 years will be given to candidates of OBC, ST/ SC, PWD, Women, and Transgender.
- 5 year age relaxation is also be given to applicants with 5 years of research experience and candidates from Armed Forces.
- Applicants with an L.L.M. degree can avail the age relaxation of three years.
NET JRF Rewards and Benefits:
The fellowship amount and duration can be extended if the research work has been observed as satisfactory by the concerned department of the college or university. The UGC revised rates of fellowship amount are as follows:
- INR 31,000 per month will be given to each Junior Fellow for the first 2 years.
- INR 35,000 per month will be given for remaining tenure (SRF).
Contingency A - Humanities and Social Sciences:
- INR 10,000 per year for the first two years (JRF).
- INR 20,500 per year for the remaining tenure (SRF).
Contingency B - Science:
- INR 12,000 per year will be given for two years (JRF).
- INR 25,000 per annum for the remaining tenure (SRF).
Reader Assistance/ Escorts:
- For blind candidates and physically handicapped, INR 2,000 per month shall be granted as a special allowance.
- In case the accommodation is provided by the host institution, rent paid by the candidate shall be reimbursed as per the government of India norms.
- The fellow may be entitled to draw HRA on the basis of the categorization of cities if he or she makes their own arrangement of accommodation.
- HRA is not permissible for hostellers. However, candidates are only eligible to draw hostel fees excluding electricity, water, mess charges, etc.
- No separate medical assistance is provided.
- In addition to public holidays, 30 days of leave per year will be granted to each fellow.
- Maternity/ Paternity leaves will be given as per government rules.
- Intermittent Break of one year will be given to eligible women candidates, this can be availed 3 times during the fellowship.
- One year of academic leave without fellowship is permissible throughout the tenure.
Note: Expenditure on any foreign visit in connection with research work will not be reimbursed from UGC.
Tenure of Fellowship:
|Course name||Maximum duration||JRF and SRF admissibility|
|M.Phil. + Ph.D.||5 years||2 years||Remaining tenure of 3 years|
|Ph.D.||5 years||2 years||Remaining tenure of 3 years|
NET JRF Application Process
Detailed steps on how to apply for UGC NET-JRF are given below:
- Visit the official National Testing Academy (NTA).
- Click on UGC NET in the Quick links section.
- Fill up the online application form.
- Enroll all the required information.
- Get the application number for future reference.
- Upload the scanned image of the applicant’s photograph (It should not exceed 200 kb)
- Upload the signature in scanned image (The signature size should be in between 4 kb – 30 kb)
Note: All the scanned images must be in JPEG/ JPG format.
- Pay the fee through SBI/ HDFC/ ICICI/ Syndicate or Paytm payment gateway through net banking/UPI/ debit card or credit card.
- Print 4 copies of confirmation page after the successful fee payment.
Application Fee Details:
- For General category - INR 1000
- For General (EWS) and OBC (NCL) category - INR 500
- For SC/ST/PwDs and Transgender category - INR 250
Note: Applicants are advised to check their SMS/ e-mails and NTA website regularly for latest updates. Also any change in NET subject, examination center, date, etc. will not be permitted under any circumstances.
Selection Criteria for National Talent Hunt Examination for Junior Research Fellowship:
NET JRF candidate selection process is based on the following criteria:
- Applicant should qualify the UGC NET Exam with minimum marks of eligibility percentile.
- It is mandatory to secure minimum marks in both paper 1 and 2.
- A merit list shall be generated for qualified candidates.
- Top 6 percent fellows will be entitled to the Assistant Professor post.
- Remaining candidates are eligible to avail the NET Junior Research Fellowship.
- In each UGC-NET exam around 3200 fellowships are being provided by the commission.
- NET JRF slots are categorized and allocated among different subjects.
UGC NET-JRF Mode of Exam:
The exam will consist of two papers, paper 1 and paper 2:
- Paper 1 is of 100 marks with a duration of one hour.
- There will be 50 objective type questions with 2 marks each.
- The paper will cover the research and teaching aptitude of the candidate.
- It will test the general awareness, comprehension, reasoning ability and divergent thinking of the candidate.
- There will be a total of 200 marks in paper 2 with a test duration of 2 hours.
- There will be 100 objective type questions with 2 marks each.
- Paper 2 is a subject-oriented test, it is based on the particular subject selected by the applicant.
- Paper-I: 09.30 AM to 10.30 AM
- Paper-II: 11.00 AM to 01.00 PM
(09.30 am to 01.00 pm first shift and 02.00 pm to 05.30 pm second shift)
Note: The total duration of examination is 3 hours (180 minutes). No break time will be given between paper 1 and paper 2 examination.
NET-JRF Important Dates:
The following key dates are tentative and can be changed by the providers:
- Application opening date: August 10th, 2021
- Application closing date: September 5th, 2021
- Last date to pay the application fee: September 6th, 2021
Fellowship Terms and Conditions:
The terms and conditions listed below have to be adhered to during the tenure of fellowship:
- Selected candidates must join the fellowship program within 6 months from the date of the award letter.
- Applicants are requested not to send any documents or completed application forms to NTA.
- More than one application from a candidate is not entertained.
- Admit card for the UGC NET examination should be downloaded from the NTA website.
- A minimum of 40 percent marks in both the papers of NET examination is required to be eligible for the research fellowship.
- Phone Number: 011-23604446, 011-23604200, 011-40759000
- Email ID: [email protected]
- Address: University Grants Commission (UGC), Bahadur Shah Zafar Marg, New Delhi- 110 002, India.
NET JRF (National Eligibility Test for Junior Research Fellowship) FAQs
What are the rewards associated with NET JRF?
INR 31,000 per month will be given to each Junior Fellow for the first 2 years.
INR 35,000 per month will be given for remaining tenure (SRF).
What are the selection criteria for NET JRF?
Applicant should qualify the UGC NET Exam with minimum marks of eligibility percentile.
It is mandatory to secure minimum marks in both paper 1 and 2.
A merit list shall be generated for qualified candidates.
Top 6 percent fellows will be entitled to the Assistant Professor post.
Remaining candidates are eligible to avail the NET Junior Research Fellowship.
In each UGC-NET exam around 3200 fellowships are being provided by the commission.
NET JRF slots are categorized and allocated among different subjects.
What is the application fee details for NET JRF?
For General category - INR 1000
For General (EWS) and OBC (NCL) category - INR 500
For SC/ST/PwDs and Transgender category - INR 250